Melbourne Football

Melbourne City 2014 Pre Season

AlexDaGroza

So here's our first 3 pre-season matches:

VS Whittlesea Ranges @ Epping , June 18

Starting XI: Redmayne, Hoffman, Wielaert, ?? (other defender unknown), Garuccio, Mooy, Murdocca, O'Dea, Brown, Dugandzic, Williams

Final result: Melbourne City 7 (Dugandzic, Williams, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) - Whittlesea Ranges 0

VS Ballarat Red Devils @ Morshead Stadium, Ballarat , June 25

Starting XI: Velaphi, Germano, Wielaert, Tom Lakic (T), Ramsay, Mooy, Mauk, Retre, Ersin Kaya (T), Dugandzic, Williams

Second Half XI: Redmayne, Hoffman, Nick Symeoy (T), Ross Archibald (T), Garuccio, Kalmar, Murdocca, Melling, Brown, Billy Konstantinidis (T), Anthony Rizk (T)

Subbed on: Matthew Millar (T)

Final result: Ballarat Red Devils 0 - Melbourne City FC 6 (Dugandzic 6’, 11’, Wielaert 35’, Williams 37’, Konstantinidis 68’, Brown 81’)

VS Bury FC @ Carrington Training Centre , July 15

Starting XI: Redmayne, Hoffman, Wielaert, Ross Archibald (T), Ramsay, Kalmar, Mooy, Retre, Dugandzic, Williams, Brown

Second Half XI: Redmayne, Hoffman, George Evans (T), Tom King (T), Chris Chantler (T), Murdocca, Melling, James Poole (T), Duff, Williams, Ramsay

Final result: Melbourne City 2 (Brown 11', James Poole ?) - Bury FC 2

It is pleasing to know that the coaching expertise at Manchester City probably watched over this game with keen interest (and I am sure, at times, shock, horror, sadness and disbelief), so hopefully, now they can work with JVS to implement improvements.

Either way, being at Manchester, it is clearly a million times better than a regional scratch match under the masterful eye of the 'structure' focused tactical genius that was JA "That Penalty" Mr Excuse.

Agree. A big benefit in the team being over in England is that the ManC coaching staff has a chance to cast an eye over our own players (Willo, Ramsay, etc) and our coaching staff and provide a no holds barred assessment to CFG/ManC management. Edited by HEARTinator

as someone who has watched lower league football in England for over 30 years , id say A league is no better than League 1 standard, so if we getting these players that have been on loan in lower leagues then they wont be out of place in the A League

I don't disagree. Was more referring to them being bottom of the ladder teams and at least two players seeming pretty disposable:

Chantler, not re-signed by Carlisle (League 1)

King, no appearances for Bristol (League 1) and only one appearance for Shortwood (Division One South & West of the Southern League...  wtf)

as someone who has watched lower league football in England for over 30 years , id say A league is no better than League 1 standard, so if we getting these players that have been on loan in lower leagues then they wont be out of place in the A League

I used to think that too, but I don't think its as that cut and dry anymore.  I think we under-estimate the A-league nowdays TBH.

I think our coaches are in general becoming more sophisticated than League 1 and even many Championship coaches.  That makes a massive difference.  

If you look at the Liverpool Vs Victory game, Victory were far from disgraced. Yes it was a friendly, but there some things friendly or not that are there- eg the organisation was good, Connor Pain leaving his full backs for dead with his pace, Nabbout turning his man and making the keeper work, Celeski creating space, shielding the ball and hitting his target.

And then you have the Socceroos with several A-League players at the World Cup not out of their depth against the nation that finished third.

I used to think that too, but I don't think its as that cut and dry anymore.  I think we under-estimate the A-league nowdays TBH.

I think our coaches are in general becoming more sophisticated than League 1 and even many Championship coaches.  That makes a massive difference.  

If you look at the Liverpool Vs Victory game, Victory were far from disgraced. Yes it was a friendly, but there some things friendly or not that are there- eg the organisation was good, Connor Pain leaving his full backs for dead with his pace, Nabbout turning his man and making the keeper work, Celeski creating space, shielding the ball and hitting his target.

And then you have the Socceroos with several A-League players at the World Cup not out of their depth against the nation that finished third.

Its results based tho Socceroos played 3 lost 3 , whilst there are some good technical players in the A League there is a greater amount of journeymen who wouldnt get a look in in League 2 England based on technical ability , i think in time it will be different but right now ,id take any league 1 team over any any A league team over 2 legs

Last season's Brisbane roar would easily compete with top of the league 1 teams while the rest of A league would fight against the relegation.

Yeah you see, I can't agree because I don't think the difference from first to last is that much.  

The fact that even with the shocking first half we had last season we were still in the hunt for a top half finish says it all really.

Its results based tho Socceroos played 3 lost 3 , whilst there are some good technical players in the A League there is a greater amount of journeymen who wouldnt get a look in in League 2 England based on technical ability , i think in time it will be different but right now ,id take any league 1 team over any any A league team over 2 legs

Yeah they lost 3 from 3. The game against Chile-one of the slickest technical teams if not the slickest in the world-was lost due to stage fright in the first 30 minutes.  The next 60 were ours.

Put Juric in Leckie spot and we score 3 against the Dutch.  Besides, this was a team cobbled together at short notice. 

Much of the Championship is like the Scottish Premier league- helter skelter, hard running, hard tackling, hardly what I would call technical.  There's a reason why Championship winners find themselves back in the Championship one season later, and why the top 5 EPL clubs are the ones with Continental and Sth American players.

And coaches.  Most British coaches are dinosaurs, except notables like SAF, and Rodgers (who is probably the only Brit in the EPL who coaches a modern philosophy).  

This is the key- Gombau's Adelaide went from playing Kosmina-ball to a modern possession-based game, in ONE pre-season.  Get the right coach and suddenly the players seem to have the touch, and the passing range and the awareness. 

Edited by Kiro Kompiro

Yeah they lost 3 from 3. The game against Chile-one of the slickest technical teams if not the slickest in the world-was lost due to stage fright in the first 30 minutes.  The next 60 were ours.

Put Juric in Leckie spot and we score 3 against the Dutch.  Besides, this was a team cobbled together at short notice. 

Much of the Championship is like the Scottish Premier league- helter skelter, hard running, hard tackling, hardly what I would call technical.  There's a reason why Championship winners find themselves back in the Championship one season later, and why the top 5 EPL clubs are the ones with Continental and Sth American players.

And coaches.  Most British coaches are dinosaurs, except notables like SAF, and Rodgers (who is probably the only Brit in the EPL who coaches a modern philosophy).  

This is the key- Gombau's Adelaide went from playing Kosmina-ball to a modern possession-based game, in ONE pre-season.  Get the right coach and suddenly the players seem to have the touch, and the passing range and the awareness.

Can ppl also hire you to do impressions of Craig Foster for parties?

This is the key- Gombau's Adelaide went from playing Kosmina-ball to a modern possession-based game, in ONE pre-season.  Get the right coach and suddenly the players seem to have the touch, and the passing range and the awareness. Can ppl also hire you to do impressions of Craig Foster for parties?

yeah whatever...the truth is what it is.  English and Scottish football at international level is a joke, as are their coaches.  Take away the foreigners from the EPL and you'd have another Championship League.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q0NacePdyY highlights and interview's with hoff and King kal

Lovely pass from Kalmar to Mate just before the first goal.

Standard Mate; can't finish.

Standard Williams...high over the bar from close in.

And standard sloppy defending.

Only a few minutes of course, but not encouraging.

Redmayne stil shite ,cant command his box , decent keeper should be coming for crosses , hopefully we score more than the opposition next season as i doubt too many clean sheets based on same personnel as last year .

highlights and interview's with hoff and King kal

Standard Mate; can't finish.

Standard Williams...high over the bar from close in.

Redmayne stil shite ,cant command his box , decent keeper should be coming for crosses , hopefully we score more than the opposition next season as i doubt too many clean sheets based on same personnel as last year .

What worrys me is the lack of tall timber in defense take kisnorbo out and we have nothing that's what I take from the first goal we conceded.

• Like 1

Standard Mate; can't finish. Standard Williams...high over the bar from close in.

What worrys me is the lack of tall timber in defense take kisnorbo out and we have nothing that's what I take from the first goal we conceded.

Just watched it again. Bury's first goal - Murdocca of all people in the defence trying to get a header out. Bloody ridiculous tactics there - poor defensive set-up - poor coaching.

Standard Mate; can't finish.Standard Williams...high over the bar from close in.

Redmayne stil shite ,cant command his box , decent keeper should be coming for crosses , hopefully we score more than the opposition next season as i doubt too many clean sheets based on same personnel as last year . What worrys me is the lack of tall timber in defense take kisnorbo out and we have nothing that's what I take from the first goal we conceded.

Just watched it again. Bury's first goal - Murdocca of all people in the defence trying to get a header out. Bloody ridiculous tactics there - poor defensive set-up - poor coaching.

Keep in mind the side playing each half will unlikely be what we go with, I liked dugas calm head to dribble two players and put in the nice cross

Decent goal by Poole.

Sublime pass by Kalmar to Mate.  We all know Nicky can play - what he needs now is consistency.

and yes Willo summed up his strengths and weaknesses in that missed chance- the pace and awareness to jump on the lose ball and then blowing it by a dodgy finish.

Was our lad King at lb for their 2nd goal?  Surely it was lb's job to knock that on the head.

I think King played as a centre-half in the Bury game, and Chris Chantler played as the left-back.

I agree that our defence maybe lacks some physicality/height without Kisnorbo. Although IMO Archibald has shown he can be a decent replacement, as the youngster is 6 foot, and we didn't concede when he played the first half and was paired with Wielaert (we haven't conceded while Archibald has been playing in the senior team this pre-season, and I believe Archibald has trialled in 2 to 3 games).

The 2nd half defence looked like 4 players who had never played a game together before (which they haven't). We had Hoffman and 3 triallists in our defence, and the triallists clearly did themselves no favours in this match.

I think King was at fault for the first goal. We seemed to be man-marking, and King, who I'm pretty certain was number 4 in this game, simply lost his man who scored the goal.

And I agree the left-back, Chantler I'm pretty certain, was no where to be seen for the 2nd goal, and pretty much all the defenders seemed a little dragged out of position.

To be successful next season we need to get our defence right. And especially given that Chapman and Kisnorbo haven't played a game in pre-season yet, we need to make sure we have good defensive depth going into the season (this is why I said it would be ideal if we had 5 centre-backs). So ideally we head into the season with a strong central defensive pairing, and capable full-backs (so we could do with multiple defensive signings before the season starts). If we can stop conceded so many soft goals, especially off set-pieces, I reckon we can be very successful next season. If not, and we have to win our games 3-2 and 4-3, then silverware may well elude us.

• Like 1

:droy: Williams….

In williams defense the conditions were blustery.... 

Yeah I guess so. Just hard to use that as an excuse when we've seen him do that time and time again. 

I'm joking the guys a spud when it comes to finishing, that being sad can't deny the fact he was our leading scorer last season and won 33% of the games we won of his own boot last season.

Yeah I guess so. Just hard to use that as an excuse when we've seen him do that time and time again. 

I'm joking the guys a spud when it comes to finishing, that being sad can't deny the fact he was our leading scorer last season and won 33% of the games we won of his own boot last season.

And we should have won more games had he converted a few more opportunies along with Ramshit, Duga, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand MIFSUD :hkpalm:

Edited by HEARTinator

And we should have won more games had he converted a few more opportunies along with Ramshit, Duga, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand MIFSUD :hkpalm:

Correction Mifspud but yeah a lot of wasted opportunities and it didn't help germano, engelaar and kewell were injured for the most part, basically 2013/14 was fucked for us from the beginning.

That first goal we conceded was partly Redders fault. He was just ball watching when he could've easily come out and punched the ball away.

looked to me like it was hoff's fault. reckon walker would've stopped it.

Said in jest...but if you watch the video you'll see that Hoffman's marking is poor, just like it was last season. He gives his winger far too much room. The best that can be said for the Hoff is that he is a useful utility player. Having him as a first choice full-back just emphasises how poor our defensive options are at present. 

We make too many excuses on here for poor performances. These guys are professional footballers, and they shouldn't have to re-learn their trade every off-season. If I'd have had to do that every time I had annual leave I would have been out of a job quick smart.

• Like 1

Would I be right to assume the reason Archivald always gets listed as a trialist is because he is a youth/senior contract and therefore technically not apart of the senior list?

Davutovic reported a while ago that Archibald will be on a youth/senior contract (that is, 1 of the 3 youth/senior contracts the club is allowed, and the type of contract the club announced Melling is on), so yes IMO it's pretty possible that he's not technically apart of the 'official' squad of 23, although for all intents and purposes Archibald seems to be apart of the senior squad (he's trained with the senior team since the last NYL season finished at the start of Jan this year [and he was named our NYL Player of the season], and of course he debuted in the last Melb derby).  

I think Archibald could be on a youth/senior contract, and he might possibly be trialling to get a full senior contract. But whatever contract Archibald is technically on by the start of next season (even if it's a NYL contract), I'm pretty certain that he'll effectively be apart of the senior team. Which IMO is a pretty good thing, because the evidence suggests that Archibald is a pretty solid defender, and Archibald helping us keep a clean sheet for the first half against Bury is more evidence of that.  

Edited by Murfy1

That first goal we conceded was partly Redders fault. He was just ball watching when he could've easily come out and punched the ball away.

looked to me like it was hoff's fault. reckon walker would've stopped it.

Said in jest...but if you watch the video you'll see that Hoffman's marking is poor, just like it was last season. He gives his winger far too much room. The best that can be said for the Hoff is that he is a useful utility player. Having him as a first choice full-back just emphasises how poor our defensive options are at present. 

We make too many excuses on here for poor performances. These guys are professional footballers, and they shouldn't have to re-learn their trade every off-season. If I'd have had to do that every time I had annual leave I would have been out of a job quick smart.

I am convinced the club just resigns Hoffman because the think he is a fan favourite - Who they only need to pay a base salary.