Melbourne Football

Matchday 20: vs Brisbane @AMMI park 5pm Sunday 23 February

Fentonthescreamingcactus

Kisnorbo delivers a reality check

19 Feb 2014

Dave Lewis

Melbourne Heart defender Patrick Kisnorbo has moved to temper talk that the club’s recent revival has it hurtling inexorably towards the A-League playoffs.

Thirteen points from a possible 15 in its last five games has closed the gap between bottom-of-the-table Heart and sixth-placed Sydney FC to seven points with seven rounds remaining.

And the run has fed the belief that under new coach John van’t Schip a minor miracle could be unfurling.

With Heart at home to leader Brisbane Roar on Sunday night those who dare to dream are predicting another upset in what is looming as the greatest turnaround in the competition’s nine-year history.

But the experienced Kisnorbo – who is on his own personal crusade to win a Socceroos recall in time for the 2014 FIFA World Cup – offers a dose of realism to go with the runaway optimism engulfing the club in the wake of its its takeover by Manchester City and change of fortunes on the field.

“Look, we are still bottom of the table and there’s no getting away from that,” said the former Leicester City and Leeds United centre-back.

“We have to stay realistic and we’re certainly not going to be talking things up.

“Yes, we are on a good run and long may it continue but at this stage of the season seven points between us and the playoffs is a decent sized gap and what’s the point in us getting carried away because we have won a few games?

“We have to maintain that momentum and not think too far ahead and dwell on what we might or might not do.”

Despite his reality check, Kisnorbo is revelling in the club’s new found belief under its Dutch boss as it seeks to maintain the rage after its stunning 5-0 Round 19 rout of Wellington on the road.

“The difference between now and earlier this season (under John Aloisi) was that if we go a goal down we still believe we can win the game,” he added.

“We weren’t playing that badly under JA but the results just weren’t coming and so often in football when a new coach comes in things change – and that has been the case with us.

“We were also lucky to get Orlando Engelaar back from his broken leg and also Harry Kewell returned from injury.

“Football is about fine margins and before we were missing chances that had we taken would have given us big wins like we had against Wellington. Now we are beginning to put those opportunities away.”

After its date with Brisbane – which sits atop the ladder 20 points clear of Heart – it comes up against Victory in the Melbourne derby at AAMI Park then travels to Newcastle before successive home games against Phoenix and Central Coast Mariners.

“What we did against Wellington, for me, wasn’t an aberration and we’re going into the Brisbane game with full confidence,” added Kisnorbo.

“They are the best team in the competition and they play the best football – but the way we are playing we will love the challenge.”

Kisnorbo - robbed of a place in Australia’s squad for the 2010 World Cup by a repoured Achilles – hasn’t given up hope of being on the plane to Brazil for June’s Big Show.

With Rhys Wiliams ruled out through injury and Lucas Neill without a club, coach Ange Postecoglou has been forced to reassess his options as he ponders which four stoppers to select in his final party.

Chances are he will now look to Western Sydney’s Matthew Spiranovic as a possible mainstay with the likes of Trent Sainsbury, Ryan McGowan, Alex Wilkinson, Curtis Good, Sasa Ognenovski, Kisnorbo and Preston’s Baily Wright all in the mix.

“All I can do is keep performing and hope I get noticed again," added Kisnorbo, 32, who has 18 caps.

“I feel I can still do a job if called upon but it’s out of my hands.”

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1182028/Kisnorbo-delivers-a-reality-check

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Still can't get over the travel some members do just to come to games, I live 25min away and sometimes can't be fkd going.... Good effort lads.

Got a mate coming, from Holland so Engelaar's attracted him. Real excited for this, would be huge if we get up again and I'm confident we can.

Coming from Albury or Warrnabool is pretty keen, but it doesn't cut it compared to coming from Holland - now that's keen!

• Like 1

Still can't get over the travel some members do just to come to games, I live 25min away and sometimes can't be fkd going.... Good effort lads.

Got a mate coming, from Holland so Engelaar's attracted him. Real excited for this, would be huge if we get up again and I'm confident we can.

Coming from Albury or Warrnabool is pretty keen, but it doesn't cut it compared to coming from Holland - now that's keen!

Yeah, making a 24hr flight to land an hour before kickoff, could say he's a diehard ;)

Got a mate coming.

Its nice to be able to invite someone to a game and feel safe that they won't leave scared for life

Two mates coming. I'm predicting 10k

Got three mates coming who've never been to an A-league game before. Should be a good first match for them to see!

Confidence and positivity has Melbourne Heart on the verge of a remarkable comeback

Matt Windley

February 19, 2014

MELBOURNE Heart is the form team of the A-League.

Incredible isn’t it?

Still a chance to make the ­finals too.

Unable to hit the side of a barn in the first 14 rounds, Heart has been scoring for fun in the past five weeks and ­winning with regularity.

In fact John van’t Schip’s men have scored more goals in the past five weeks (14) than they did in the first 14 rounds combined (9).

Asked yesterday if he could put his finger on the reason why his side has been able to turn things around, marquee midfielder Orlando Engelaar simply said: “Nobody can”.

“That’s football,” he said. “Things can just change with a snap of the fingers.

“Nothing special has to happen to make things turn around. That’s the beauty of the game.

“There are a lot of factors involved. It’s confidence, it’s a bit of luck, it’s form on the day. There are a few things that are important in football, but ­luckily in the last few weeks most of these factors have been positive ones for us.”

He wouldn’t say it, but ­Engelaar’s return to the fray after recovering from a broken leg has clearly helped Heart’s fortunes.

It’s not just the thunderbolt he scored in the 5-0 win against Wellington last week, but Heart has a plus-6 goal difference in the 208 minutes when he has been on the park.

Collectively, there has been improvement, but Fox Sports Stats reveal individuals have also turned a corner.

David Williams’ hat-trick last week followed consecutive winners as a substitute against Sydney and Perth.

Mate Dugandzic has two goals, three assists and two ­secondary assists in the past five weeks.

Iain Ramsay has had three assists, four shots on target and won 10 corners (second only to

Dugandzic).

Harry Kewell has won 13 fouls, been responsible for 18 balls in to the penalty box, won 22 contests and scored a goal.

“The mood is pretty good,” Engelaar said.

“We’ve been winning, had another good win on the weekend, so everybody feels good.’’

Interestingly, Heart — now on 18 points — is only one point shy of what Perth was at the same stage last season. With eight rounds left Glory was bottom and went on to finish sixth and make the finals.

Kewell didn’t train yesterday and is unlikely to return from the toe injury that kept him out last week, while Jonatan Germano (leg soreness) was again restricted.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/confidence-and-positivity-has-melbourne-heart-on-the-verge-of-a-remarkable-comeback/story-fnk6pqhd-1226831989636

Edited by Murfy1

Sunday, 23 February 2014

Melbourne Heart v Brisbane Roar

AAMI Park, Melbourne

Kick-off: 5:00pm local (5:00pm AEDT)

Referee: Adam Kersey

Melbourne Heart FC Squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4.Orlando ENGELAAR, 6.Patrick GERHARDT, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 11.Michael MIFSUD, 13.Jonatan GERMANO, 15.David WILLIAMS, 16.Aziz BEHICH, 17.Jason HOFFMAN, 19.Benjamin GARRUCIO, 20.Tando VELHAPI (GK), 21.Stefan MAUK, 22.Nicholas KALMAR, 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 24.Patrick KISNORBO, 27.Luke O’DEA

**One to be omitted**

Ins: 11.Michael MIFSUD (promoted), 13.Jonatan GERMANO (returns from injury)

Outs: 3.Robbie WIELAERT (suspended – accumulation)

Unavailable: 10.Harry KEWELL (toe – one week)

Sunday, 23 February 2014

Melbourne Heart v Brisbane Roar

AAMI Park, Melbourne

Kick-off: 5:00pm local (5:00pm AEDT)

Referee: Adam Kersey

Melbourne Heart FC Squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4.Orlando ENGELAAR, 6.Patrick GERHARDT, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 11.Michael MIFSUD, 13.Jonatan GERMANO, 15.David WILLIAMS, 16.Aziz BEHICH, 17.Jason HOFFMAN, 19.Benjamin GARRUCIO, 20.Tando VELHAPI (GK), 21.Stefan MAUK, 22.Nicholas KALMAR, 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 24.Patrick KISNORBO, 27.Luke O’DEA

**One to be omitted**

Ins: 11.Michael MIFSUD (promoted), 13.Jonatan GERMANO (returns from injury)

Outs: 3.Robbie WIELAERT (suspended – accumulation)

Unavailable: 10.Harry KEWELL (toe – one week)

Germano doesn't look like he's going to play so that means..... Fuck

Really surprised by the squad above - given the great job Gerhardt did last week I thought he might have been given a crack at Broich with Vrankovich or another CB promoted. I do wonder what will happen if one of our back four go down? Will Germano start on the bench and plug a hole if needed? If he starts the game in the midfield and we get an injury down back, it does possibly condemn him to playing the full game and given his injury history this is a risk. Unless of course we drop to a back 3 - but (for example if Kisnorbo comes off) a back three of Hoff, Aziz and Gerhardt is not overly inspiring.

Surely Mifsud to drop out - would love to see the new kid O'Dea get a run instead.

Edited by Defibrillator

The thread on the Roar forum regarding our match against them is delightful. One half of the posters are full of pessimism, claiming that the best Brisbane can hope for is a draw. The other half are straight out saying that they WANT Heart to win for the good of the competition.

The thread on the Roar forum regarding our match against them is delightful. One half of the posters are full of pessimism, claiming that the best Brisbane can hope for is a draw. The other half are straight out saying that they WANT Heart to win for the good of the competition.

Bless them!  Hopefully their team thinks the same.

Hewo, my name is The Croar. I new here. I travel to Brisbane on old dragon boat surviving on wifes fermented fish sauce while sea tried to claim us for brunch. Kind of sort of troll but found my way from under bridge to give croar up to melbourne shity fans. It smell like fear hear with touch of delusion and splash of dudeness.

• Like 1

Hewo, my name is The Croar. I new here. I travel to Brisbane on old dragon boat surviving on wifes fermented fish sauce while sea tried to claim us for brunch. Kind of sort of troll but found my way from under bridge to give croar up to melbourne shity fans. It smell like fear hear with touch of delusion and splash of dudeness.

I hardly understood any of that.

Please fuck off and choke on your own tongue.

Sincerly,

Everyone

Bless them!  Hopefully their team thinks the same.

I also jumped on that roar forum. Really shitty format on there. I found it hard to read alot of it.

I'm also really suprised that they are so fearful of us this week. Sure we are playing well and they are playing a bit average, but they are quite easily the best team in the league.

Going to be great on Sunday.

Sincerly,

Everyone

You have quite the acid tongue as it were, a tongue of fire if you will. You reek of fear, thus the unwarranted animosity. Cant we get along with mutual love of roar?

Sincerly,

Everyone

You have quite the acid tongue as it were, a tongue of fire if you will. You reek of fear, thus the unwarranted animosity. Cant we get along with mutual love of roar?I think I love you

What did you do with Maxwell Smart? Chuck him overboard you slimy little shit :ph34r:

Sincerly,

Everyone

You have quite the acid tongue as it were, a tongue of fire if you will. You reek of fear, thus the unwarranted animosity. Cant we get along with mutual love of roar?I think I love you

I think you pretty good too.

• Like 2

What did you do with Maxwell Smart? Chuck him overboard you slimy little shit :ph34r:

Smart been silent since he had cone.

Anyone drive to the games? I can only make it for 60 or so minutes. I want to stay as long as possible so will drive.

What is parking like?

I normally drive.  If nothing else is on there is plenty of free parking around East Melbourne.  You can also park close in the MCG (Yarra Park) for $ or across the road from the ground for $30 or a bit cheaper if you pre-book.  

Tell as about yourself croar, what are your hobbies? Do you like piña coladas and getting caught in the rain? Did you think it was a penalty in the champions league game? How many titles do you think we will win in the next five years on a scale of 4 to 5?

which champions league game?

I've got no idea, it's been the talk all over the forum but i still haven't seen the incident.

Anyone drive to the games? I can only make it for 60 or so minutes. I want to stay as long as possible so will drive.

What is parking like?

I normally drive.  If nothing else is on there is plenty of free parking around East Melbourne.  You can also park close in the MCG (Yarra Park) for $ or across the road from the ground for $30 or a bit cheaper if you pre-book.  

Thanks heaps! fuck paying 30 bones. I'll just park wherever I can and run to the game.

Is there off street parking available? or is it all permit zoned?

To me Brisbane have been a bit off the last few weeks.  They've been getting the results but have been short of their best.  Eventually (to stick with the season's theme) they seem to have run out of luck.  Not sure what that means for this game- will their mini-slump continue or they will bounce back?

I expect JVS "has a plan" that will keep them short of their best again.  Heart 3-1.  AAMI Park to observe 30 seconds of stunned silence when M Mifsud comes off the bench, stays onside and puts the game to bed in the 85th minute.