Melbourne Football

Location of New facilities ?

InMyHeart

Don't forget they were government projects so half the money would have been pissed against the wall on dodgy union officials and tradesman. A private Enterprise will seek the best possible price 

Actually the cost for large scale projects for private or public enterprise are not that far apart. My brother has worked in this sector all his working life and these types of projects are charged at about the same rate. The cost comes from the uniqueness of each project as quite often there will be unique features that have tobe done from scratch and you can't use previous models. Also if the public will use or be in contact with these buildings then they have to ensure that glass does not come off, etc.

It's very interesting why city group has not gone to South America before Australia.

If they willing to spend money on training and developing academy, why not go to a place where you get real estate for a lot less $$$$$, not to mention talent available there is beyond anything this country had produced.

Realistically, if I was scouting for potentially high earning talent I would be looking at brazil, Argentina, etc where kids spend the time chasing a rag ball from the time they can walk.

It's a way of life

Here, you'll need to convince youngsters that ps3 and Xbox FIFA is not going to develop their football skills enough to join world's elite

South America is not as cheap as you may think. The big clubs in the big countries such as Brazil are worth a mint and the land in Sao Paulo or Rio or Buenos Aires or Santiago is not cheap. It may actually be more expensive than Melbourne. Secondly these clubs are already owned by local oligarchs (status symbols) so they are unlikely to sell. Since the philosophy the CFG is to establish themselves in world cities that leaves the smaller regional clubs out of the question. Ditto for less significant countries such as Bolivia. Finally over there the market is saturated and will people buy Man City gear as they would in Australia?I suppose it is world's game now and if scouts find some promising youngsters they could be shipped to Australia for development purposes under watchful eye of CITY GROUP.

As for man city tops, not sure how many of us would walk around in sky blue around Melbourne :) I wouldn't but newbies jumping on board might.

Btw

Build new training centre in tullamarine.

Easy access to the city via Calder

Next door to the airport

And most important, 5 min from my place

Edited by Jestr

The mariners centre of excellence cost them $60 million. Cheaper to build on the Central coast but still a decent amount of money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8suUUrFFuMg

That's at Tuggerah isn't it? IIRC though, it includes a hotel "Travelodge Hotel Mariners." Not sure whether that's in the quoted cost though.

Yes, it's in Tuggerah. No idea about a hotel. I imagine the new owners will be thinking bigger than CCM.

The more I look at New York City FC, the more I think it suggests what kind of things we might see Man City do with Heart, albeit on a somewhat smaller scale (as New York City, metro area, has 20 million people and the USA overall has over 300 million, whilst Melbourne has 4 million and Australia 23 million).

Since the New York City FC side don't have a home stadium, the Man City Group are looking to build one that can seat 28,000 people, with some media outlets suggesting it will cost $400 million (US). Apparently there were some planned government concessions (which have generated discussion and controversy), comparable to the concessions other New York sports teams (like the Yankees and the Mets) received when they build stadiums, but it seems Man City would cover a lot of the costs.

They want to build this new stadium near Yankee stadium in the Bronx (the Yankees own 20% of NYC FC), but are said to be looking at several different locations as well (also, apparently they might play in Yankee stadium until this new stadium is built, an idea that American football media think 'looks, sounds and feels like a terrible idea').

Interestingly Claudio Reyna, the NYC FC Director of Football, said the training facilities for their club are as important as the stadium 'we feel - Jason [Kreis] and I - that that's as important [as the stadium]. When you talk to coaches and players, that's your home. That's where you spend all your time, and the training facility is as critical as the stadium. We have a couple of options that we're exploring'.

It's been reported that they are looking outside of New York City proper, at sites further away but still in New York state, to build their training facilities. One would have to guess they are looking at locations that are relatively distant because they want a lot of space to build these facilities. It sounds like NYC FC's training facilities could be pretty expensive, which would be inline with statements like the above 'the training facility is as critical as the stadium'. New York City staff themselves have suggested that they'll make an announcement this very month about their training facilities, and I reckon that will give us some hints as to what we can expect at Melbourne Heart with our training facilities (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/01/10/nycfc-ceo-no-primary-stadium-site-were-working-city-looking-several-sites).

• Like 1

Unless they specifically want something in the inner city, I wouldn't completely discount Bundoora. The playing fields are already being upgraded and should be ready by next season, and there's plenty of space to build whatever facilities we want. There's a number of advantages that I think outweigh the negative for some people of location.

I suppose with the involvement of Melbourne Storm, we could possibly be based at Aami Park and use Gosh's Paddock like a number of other clubs. But I think it would be better to have the academy, training facilities, and administration in the same place, being used exclusively by us, or at least us and Storm, rather than booking training times around 3 or 4 other clubs at Gosh's Paddock.

Or finally, we can start from scratch somewhere, in which case it's probably anybody's guess. But a lot of the current possible options aren't perfect because they're ovals (Junction Oval, Windy Hill, Princes Park, Brunswick St Oval), in many cases used for cricket or Aussie Rules, and constained by space. Not sure how much available vacant land there is close to the city.

Agree with the existing AFL ovals. In Footscray, Yarraville, Spotswood and some of Newport there is a lot of derelict buildings that can be demolished and an academy established. Also along the ring road there is still a lot of land. Bundoora is OK and gets the community thing happening - only drawback is trying to ge there if you want to watch training. Admittedly not as far as Epping but....

Haven't been there but what about if we redeveloped epping? Would there be enough room to put in an academy up there?

There is an RSL next to it but I don't know who owns the land.

Council owns land and charges 50k for any team wishing to make it it's base. For a while it was empty, but an existing local team moved in whittlesea ......(can't remember).

It's a growing location, council plans for medium density living. But, not a great spot to encourage all Melbournians to follow our club.

I wouldn't be suprised if the team spent most of next pre season in Manchester since it will take a long long time for facilities to be built. Unless they can get use of aami park or something. If they did go to the uk it would be great, they could have practice matches against some great competition

I envisage that the owners are talking about a smaller version of what they are developing in Manchester, the size and scope of which will be determined by how far they want to grow our club (their club!). This is not just a training venue for the senior squad, but also for other teams that will eventually operate under the umbrella of the club. And it's not just an outdoor playing field venue. Existing ovals/grounds are simply not going to be big enough. It's not going to be easy to find land available with the capacity of places such as Latrobe Uni or the facility that was proposed down at at Cranbourne.

But Epping is easy for me to get to.  Have the owners thought about that?

It's tough for me, but who gives a stuff? It's just where they train. If I can't go to watch training, stiff shit. The only thing that's important to me is that the players and coaches don't have any significant issues getting out there.

It's probably where NYL and some pre-season matches will be played. Players etc. get ferried around in the team bus, or buses. What has to also be thought about is people attending any academy, camps, clinics, trials, under-age teams (if any), spectators for NYL and pre-season matches, and many other aspects of accessibility including visitors. Perhaps the whole club admin will be located there. If you want to be accepted as a community club then you have to be in the community and accessible.

This is not quite as simple as it might appear on the surface.

I wouldn't be suprised if the team spent most of next pre season in Manchester since it will take a long long time for facilities to be built. Unless they can get use of aami park or something. If they did go to the uk it would be great, they could have practice matches against some great competition

There was some speculation that NYCFC would be doing this also - I think the idea from the start was to have periodic gatherings where the various teams that are under the City umbrella meet up in Manchester to train together. It could well keep happening even after a new academy/training group has been built, but we're likely talking only a couple of weeks together (in one stint, naturally) tops per season.

• Like 1

Yeah La Trobe would seem to have a reasonable chance of happening.

If they wanted to very visible and had no budget limit they could make Richmond a stupid offer and take posssession of the Punt Road site.  Might be a bit small is all.

Anyone asks why we bought it, we could say, "well, we finished 9th last year"

In the statement made by our new owners they clearly stated that the priority was to establish a state of the art training facility for all Melbourne Heart teams going forward. The facilities will have the best training grounds and the latest and greatest in sports science and coaching expertise from Man City..

They are building and expanding their brand and so, they will make Melbourne Heart FC and New York FC football power house clubs like Man City is becoming.. From what I have seen these guys are very precise and well organised and they know exactly what needs to be done and where to do it.. I really don't believe they will share, or re-develop an existing footy ground, or the current La Trobe training base, I believe they already have the location in mind and I would not be surprised if permits have been issued.

These guys are here to invest in the Australian talent and to get a piece of the Asian market ..

• Like 1

I'm just wondering where they could find enough space besides La Trobe. NYC FC is reported to be looking at locations that are quite distant from their stadium, at locations in New York state (which are rather far from their stadium and New York City proper). I reckon they'll want lots of space for Heart as well, and where else is there?

As the La Trobe uni website boasts, 'this is a huge space that can be configured for 4 football pitches' (stand pitch size 105 m long by 68 m wide) :

2qksdpk.jpg

2lw4xft.jpg

At La Trobe, we would have a pitch for the senior team, a pitch for the NYL team, a pitch for a W-League team (I assume we'll have a team soon) and at least 1 additional pitch. Plus there is ample space possibly for a grandstand (to the west ideally) and other facilities. It just needs investment and maintenance to turn it into top class training facilities.

It's worth mentioning, in terms of the La Trobe link, that La Trobe is - and I know this may seem quite a leap of logic ;) - a University. I don't think City are going to want to spend tens of millions on redeveloping a University campus which they don't own, and I can't see a University agreeing to sell its sports fields to a club.

In the short term, though, until the training ground is built I can see Heart continuing to use LTU facilities for a year or two (or however long it takes to buy a new plot, sort planning permission etc) and it's a bit more of a push, but I'd say it's not out of the question that the club will cooperate with LTU to offer coaching courses and so on.

• Like 1

I dunno if many of you guys have seen this video (~4:10), but Ferran Soriano really stresses the importance of good facilities. You can assume that it's very high on the list at the moment and I reckon they will want that ASAP.

"...we need top level, high quality facilities. So, we'll make sure that we have these high quality facilities in Melbourne"

I recon there is a good chance we might end up somewhere established like Lakeside or AAMI Park/Gosch's until something permanent can be arranged/built.

Fishermans Bend is another closer option. Big Government development plans, inner city brown field site favoured by our franchise owners.

If it involves alot of residential development within what the club will build then I can see it happening. 

Edited by Dylan

If Man City decide that La Trobe is the best option to build training facilities, I expect they would just buy the land. La Trobe and Melbourne Heart have been talking about seriously upgrading the facilities since the beginning of their partnership in 2010, and given that the university now wants to become 'Australia's leading sport university' I reckon they would be open to selling the land if it meant furthering and solidifying the partnership.

Where was it said that we would be sharing with the Storm? I haven't seen it mentioned, but it sounds like a reasonable idea for the time being.

If Man City decide that La Trobe is the best option to build training facilities, I expect they would just buy the land. La Trobe and Melbourne Heart have been talking about seriously upgrading the facilities since the beginning of their partnership in 2010, and given that the university now wants to become 'Australia's leading sport university' I reckon they would be open to selling the land if it meant furthering and solidifying the partnership.

Where was it said that we would be sharing with the Storm? I haven't seen it mentioned, but it sounds like a reasonable idea for the time being.

Point 1. I don't think selling the land is absolutely necessary. A 99-year lease would be perfectly adequate. IIRC Manchester City do not own their home ground in Manchester, but have a 250-year lease on it from the City of Manchester.

Point 2. You've got me there Murf on the specifics! However, I recall the Bart Campbell side of the takeover saying something about the facilities at AAMI Park being shared by Heart and Storm for the time being. Maybe I misunderstood something...

• Like 1

Junction Oval is a fantastic call. St Kilda Cricket Club doesn't want to pay the current rent and the funding for any redevelopment has likely dried up.

as far as i know Vic Cricket is about to abandon junction oval altogether.

perfect location, at the bottom edge of Albert Park, near the CBD, st kilda road, nepean highway, st kilda, perfect.

01jan2013.jpg

CAM00883_zps40ee34fa.jpg

Junction Oval is a fantastic call. St Kilda Cricket Club doesn't want to pay the current rent and the funding for any redevelopment has likely dried up.

as far as i know Vic Cricket is about to abandon junction oval altogether.

perfect location, at the bottom edge of Albert Park, near the CBD, st kilda road, nepean highway, st kilda, perfect.

Yep Vic Cricket can't afford the rent, its 500k a year and St Kilda CC only contribute 30k a year.

Would be a shame to lose it as a cricket ground though, Ive always hoped they'd move state cricket there....although Ive lost a lot of interest in cricket lately so don't care as much as I would have a few years ago. 

Single ovals such as Junction, Moorabbin etc. just don't have the area that is going to be required for the facility that will be built, even if it is going to be a cut-down version of that in Manchester. I doubt that City will build something knowing that they can't expand it if they want to.

I think we might find that Heart's decision to team up with Latrobe at the outset was possibly their best decision ever.

• Like 1

Agree, I think all roads lead back to La Trobe. Hard to find enough space near the city to host a couple of full size pitches and training areas and admin/physio/etc. The facility is the cornerstone of the clubs future prosperity and we need an excellent setup, matching what is available to NRL and AFL clubs. Club needs to be a pacesetter in this area and it will help to recruit future talent.

If CFG want to run a facility that has regular revenue they may want to look at combining a training facility or even stadium with some housing or commercial space in Fishermans Bend. It's more likely to happen there than at LaTrobe, and with better returns. Not sure how much they want to invest but the Man City model requires regular revenue stream to grow the group and 27 games a season and no transfer fees within the league are't going to give much revenue here.

Point 1. I don't think selling the land is absolutely necessary. A 99-year lease would be perfectly adequate. IIRC Manchester City do not own their home ground in Manchester, but have a 250-year lease on it from the City of Manchester.

Well yes, but that deal is the relic of a by-gone era. If City had the choice right now, I don't think they'd be that interested in just leasing the land for our stadium. We agreed the lease when we were a debt-ridden club yoyoing between the top three divisions of English football. Manchester City Council offered us very agreeable terms to move into a brand new, modern-design stadium as our old one was increasingly showing its limitations in the Premier League era and we took them because we had no other sensible alternative. MCC in exchange got our old stadium, to develop into housing for a healthy profit. In return they also got a nice sum of money every season, which will pay back the cost of the stadium before most of us reading this thread are dead and buried.

City actually tried to buy the stadium outright a season or two back and were flatly denied by the City Council, who knew they were onto a cash-cow by owning our ground. It's not like City want to be leasing their stadium, they simply have no alternative right now.

Spotswood (simmock ave and Booker street)? Not too far from the CBD and a lot of the old industry around scienceworks has been cleared flat (ESSO and a couple other places). Possibly could fit 4-8 pitches depending on what Stadium strata, Training facilities etc are built. PT accessible as well.

Spotswood (simmock ave and Booker street)? Not too far from the CBD and a lot of the old industry around scienceworks has been cleared flat (ESSO and a couple other places). Possibly could fit 4-8 pitches depending on what Stadium strata, Training facilities etc are built. PT accessible as well.

And it's close to the city. Just over the west gate.

Good spot

And it's close to the city. Just over the west gate.

Good spot

Plus free advertising! Put the logo and name up high and people will read as they drive over the west gate bridge (busiest road in Victoria) and when they do traffic reports from the chopper.

• 1 month later...

Any news on what the new owners look to be doing with facilities?

Was a rumour I heard from a friend the other day that the club will likely look to invest money at Latrobe Uni (Up to $20 mil he had said).No idea where he got it from, but if true a decent outcome.

There really are not many options closer into the city that are likely. Darebin/Northcote woiuld be excellent, but given the challenges to get control over the site, it would be too hard to get off the ground I would suspect.

Any news on what the new owners look to be doing with facilities?

Was a rumour I heard from a friend the other day that the club will likely look to invest money at Latrobe Uni (Up to $20 mil he had said).No idea where he got it from, but if true a decent outcome.

There really are not many options closer into the city that are likely. Darebin/Northcote woiuld be excellent, but given the challenges to get control over the site, it would be too hard to get off the ground I would suspect.

It's on page 76 of the "Buy-out" thread.