Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Can't believe some of the bullshit I've read today.

Zero pride, zero honour, zero dignity. Zero hope for humanity.

Either way, at the very least, it's good to see the club put a sheep on the logo. It will represent a lot of it's 'supporters', especially going forward..

parableofsheep.jpg

• Like 2

I have said it before. Listening and hearing what the fans have to say is not the same as listening to the fans and acting on their advice or listening to the fans and acting in their best wishes.

Not once have they lied to us. They said something with carefully worded sentences and the fans took it to mean what they wanted it to mean.

For example: "On the matter of colours, as we have said previously, any decisions made in relation to the club's identity will be guided by the traditions of our existing fan base, including their passion for red and white, and the opportunities provided by our new ownership"

The club have made a decision with both Man City and us the supporters in mind. They clearly were guided more strongly by the "opportunities provided by our new ownership".  The fact that the away kit is pretty much our home kit means IMO that they have been true to their words. They never said to what extent the decision of the colours would be guided by the existing fan base.

In conclusion us fans can only blame ourselves for thinking that they were going to do any different.

The writing has been on the wall ever since they made their first statement.

I didn't use the word 'lie', although I think there's even an argument for that word. I used the word 'deceptive', which they were. How is the decision to change our red and white strips home kit to this white with some blue home kit 'well-supported'? It isn't, at all, in any way. That's also true of the large body of text stating that "any decisions" will be "guided" by the club's traditions and the passion for red and white, even though there's those final few words that go on about "opportunities". 

Call it want you want. It's either 'misleading in the extreme' or deceptive. Either way, it's not a respectable way to go about communicating with supporters that try to be loyal to the club.

This is splitting hairs, really. The point still stands that supporters only asked the club for one thing, a red and white home kit. A name change, a badge change, an away kit change and many other changes all were ready to be tolerated, and even though Man City couldn't get what they wanted (a sky blue home kit), they didn't give supporters the only 1 real thing we've been asking for. And then, as I said, on top of that they knowingly used language that was misleading in the extreme (don't belittle them. They would have known exactly what they were doing, and were consciously trying to placate supporters in the lead up to these changes).

Going forward, I hope for the sake of this club and its supporters that the club works to build a better relationship, where the supporters can be trusting of the club. Because right now, supporters don't have many reasons to seriously trust this club.

What about what the owners want? You know the one's who are actually paying the bills? They get no say at all?

Be realistic.

The new owners are the ones that wanted everything their way, supporters were unwilling to compromise on one thing, the home kit. How the fuck do you read that as "they get no say at all"?

My apologies, I forgot to include a section stating that I personally feel this compromise is acceptable.

I think you are confused. CFG have changed everything they wanted to change, they couldn't change the home kit to sky blue even though they had every intention to. The only compromise they made was with FFA/Sydney FC. They ignored the fans and/or had no intention of communicating with the fans.

Thought I wouldn't quote all the rest of the text as it would have clogged up the page.

I'm not confused at all mate. CFG have not changed everything they wanted to change. 

I would hazard a guess that if they could, they would have removed red from all shirts away or home (unless they went with a red and black striped guernsey similar to City's from the 70's).

You cannot sit there and they they've only made one compromise. You don't know what they wanted to do. The only people who knew exactly what the executives wanted are the executives themselves. They may have wanted to do so many other things but decided not to for various reasons.

How can you say that they have ignored the fans when half of the kits are the exact same as the previous home kit? 

How can you say they have ignored the fans when the badge has a a strong link to the red/white colors of Melbourne, and not only that but the Melbourne Coat of Arms?

And in response to your point about not being consulted - we live in a world of a 24 hour news cycle - do you really think the extensive consultation that the fans expected would have been kept under wraps? That there would have been no leaks if they ran focus groups? Sydney FC leaked the story about the strip challenge to serve their own purpose. A disgruntled fan who, if consulted in the way that has been suggested, would probably also leak information to stir up opposition - and it is typical in organisations to have a communications strategy in place to mitigate on the chances of this happening. 

Just out of interest - you say they had no intention, or did not communicate with fans - what exactly did you do to make your opinion heard? Communication is a two way street after all...

FFS, this conversation yet again. I'm pretty sure the mood was much more up-beat before the Manchester City fans woke up (and I say that as an English fan of the Manchester club, before anyone lambasts me for being a xenophobic Australian).

Think I'll come back to this forum in a few days and see if this stupid, stupid argument has gone away again by then.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 3

I have said it before. Listening and hearing what the fans have to say is not the same as listening to the fans and acting on their advice or listening to the fans and acting in their best wishes.

Not once have they lied to us. They said something with carefully worded sentences and the fans took it to mean what they wanted it to mean.

For example: "On the matter of colours, as we have said previously, any decisions made in relation to the club's identity will be guided by the traditions of our existing fan base, including their passion for red and white, and the opportunities provided by our new ownership"

The club have made a decision with both Man City and us the supporters in mind. They clearly were guided more strongly by the "opportunities provided by our new ownership".  The fact that the away kit is pretty much our home kit means IMO that they have been true to their words. They never said to what extent the decision of the colours would be guided by the existing fan base.

In conclusion us fans can only blame ourselves for thinking that they were going to do any different.

I didn't use the word 'lie', although I think there's even an argument for that word. I used the word 'deceptive', which they were. How is the decision to change our red and white strips home kit to this white with some blue home kit 'well-supported'? It isn't, at all, in any way. That's also true of the large body of text stating that "any decisions" will be "guided" by the club's traditions and the passion for red and white, even though there's those final few words that go on about "opportunities". 

Call it want you want. It's either 'misleading in the extreme' or deceptive. Either way, it's not a respectable way to go about communicating with supporters that try to be loyal to the club.

This is splitting hairs, really. The point still stands that supporters only asked the club for one thing, a red and white home kit. A name change, a badge change, an away kit change and many other changes all were ready to be tolerated, and even though Man City couldn't get what they wanted (a sky blue home kit), they didn't give supporters the only 1 real thing we've been asking for. And then, as I said, on top of that they knowingly used language that was misleading in the extreme (don't belittle them. They would have known exactly what they were doing, and were consciously trying to placate supporters in the lead up to these changes).

Going forward, I hope for the sake of this club and its supporters that the club works to build a better relationship, where the supporters can be trusting of the club. Because right now, supporters don't have many reasons to seriously trust this club.

What about what the owners want? You know the one's who are actually paying the bills? They get no say at all?

Be realistic.

The new owners are the ones that wanted everything their way, supporters were unwilling to compromise on one thing, the home kit. How the fuck do you read that as "they get no say at all"?

I did not say they have got no say at all.

What I was implying is that some of the fans on here would have preferred it if the owners got no say at all in the decision on home and away kits.

I was pointing out that as they are the ones actually footing the bills they should probably have some say in these decisions.

The accusations labelled at the owners have been that  they have not had the fans interests at heart (pun not intended), that they cant see the situation through the fans eyes. Equally, I would counter, that some of the fans here have an inability to see things from the owners perspective.

Hence the be realistic comment. 

They did say they were not going with "The Cardiff Solution" did they not? 

They have pretty much gone with the Cardiff solution have they not? 

Just sayin'. 

They didn't say they were not going to go with the Cardiff solution. They said they didn't want a Cardiff situation.

The two are entirely different. We got the Cardiff solution, where as a Cardiff situation is the fans continually protesting after getting the Cardiff solution

Ok that makes sense. Well they are good with words I'll give them that! 

What I was implying is that some of the fans on here would have preferred it if the owners got no say at all in the decision on home and away kits.

I was pointing out that as they are the ones actually footing the bills they should probably have some say in these decisions.

The accusations labelled at the owners have been that  they have not had the fans interests at heart (pun not intended), that they cant see the situation through the fans eyes. Equally, I would counter, that some of the fans here have an inability to see things from the owners perspective.

I have no doubt some of the fans would never be pleased by any changes forced on their club, some have stated so in this and other threads, and they're well within their rights to. Everyone will draw the line at different points based on their own emotional attachment with the club, and it's exactly that, it's emotional. And what has been stated countless times in this forum and evidenced by a poll in another post, is that a great many fans are happy with a red and white stripe home kit, and sky blue away kit. We could sit here and speculate about what they wanted or didn't want to do, but we can only go by the things that have happened. Fuck it I'm sick of this argument, sorry for bringing it up again.

Might get Thai for dinner.

Glad this is out of the way now. Just looking forward to the start of the season. Like the new kit, wish the stripes were gone and kept the sash. Never spoke to the big wigs before and don't expect to speak to the new ones. Just looking forward to seeing some good football and supporting my team. Not much has changed for me really, my friends will still be there yelling shit at the opposition and going mental when we score a goal.

• Like 5

Glad this is out of the way now. Just looking forward to the start of the season. Like the new kit, wish the stripes were gone and kept the sash. Never spoke to the big wigs before and don't expect to speak to the new ones. Just looking forward to seeing some good football and supporting my team. Not much has changed for me really, my friends will still be there yelling shit at the opposition and going mental when we score a goal.

After 10 years and a couple of epic Brisbane-style Grand Final wins (and maybe a good tilt at Asia - I think the salary cap/player restrictions are different in the ACL) the only real loser out of this will be Sydney FC.

edit: and Melbourne Victory.

Edited by For_FCs_Sake

would love to hear from the players what have been the differences so far under the new ownership. Like have they had alot more equipment? or even new equipment? things like that.

They haven't returned to training yet so they probably haven't noticed much difference.

Be realistic.

Probably should also add that this new ownership has done much much more to make this a Melbourne club than the old ownership did.

When i heard the news this morning that there was a big signing to be announced...honestly thought it was the signing of Carl Valeri to Melbourne Victory, then maybe the signing of Damien Duff but to hear it was David Villa almost made me spit out my coffee.

SInce i heard they were making a new Melbourne club, i always wanted it to be Melbourne City FC which obviously i am happy about.

In terms of the colours i am not 100% about the home strip but in time like EVERYTHING, we will grow to embrace the home colours. Really like the fact that IN A WAY they have respected the history of Heart. They are brining us money and really i am a supporter hungry for success, hopefully this new club name/brand will last with many years to come.

• Like 1

The "real" Melbourne City FC are claiming that they haven't agreed to us taking their name too.https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152131766771404&id=355862536403

If CFG have got the approval for the name change through, good luck with that.

Interesting that comments had been made in a report that the name issue had been rectified with the Vic state League side, yet we still see this.

EDIT: Further to this, ASIC appears to show the name as Registered to MHFC Holdings. https://connectonline.asic.gov.au/RegistrySearch/faces/landing/bn/SearchBnRegisters.jspx?_adf.ctrl-state=wt64nolmf_4

I'm guessing that they hadn't registered the name as they are just a small club, and as soon as they caught wind of Heart becoming City, they shit themselves and tried to register it, but by that time they were too late. I doubt their legal battle will go anywhere, money talks and they don't have much of that, comparatively speaking of course.

Spot on.

Either way, at the very least, it's good to see the club put a sheep on the logo. It will represent a lot of it's 'supporters', especially going forward..

parableofsheep.jpg

hope we can keep in touch

• Like 1

The "real" Melbourne City FC are claiming that they haven't agreed to us taking their name too.https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152131766771404&id=355862536403

If CFG have got the approval for the name change through, good luck with that.

Interesting that comments had been made in a report that the name issue had been rectified with the Vic state League side, yet we still see this.

EDIT: Further to this, ASIC appears to show the name as Registered to MHFC Holdings. https://connectonline.asic.gov.au/RegistrySearch/faces/landing/bn/SearchBnRegisters.jspx?_adf.ctrl-state=wt64nolmf_4  

I'm guessing that they hadn't registered the name as they are just a small club, and as soon as they caught wind of Heart becoming City, they shit themselves and tried to register it, but by that time they were too late. I doubt their legal battle will go anywhere, money talks and they don't have much of that, comparatively speaking of course.

Spot on.

My mum works for ASIC so I asked her about the situation and she said that the other MCFC may be operating under a federation. My stepfather was a life member and treasurer at Traralgon City Soccer Club and they operated under a federation. Still if they haven't applied for the trademark they'd be pushing shit up hill to fight CFG on this one. Even more so if they aren't under a federation and have been doing business without an ABN.

Anyway, pretty stoked by today's announcement. Always wanted to see a team in the A-League called City and one with a white home jersey and my team now has both. Clever way to deal with the Sydney FC clash. I really hope we draw them in the FFA Cup. Also, that logo is choice.

• Like 1

Have been reading the threads today and feel that CFG have let you guys down.

They should have kept the Red & White for the home strip. Also added a Red Stripe between the Sky Blue and Navy Blue which should be the away strip.

I do hope you guys stick with it though. Maybe you will grow to love the club as you did Melbourne Heart.

Hopefully this forum will keep going as I enjoy the banter on here.

I am sure most of you will be wearing your old Red & White tops to the games and probably buy the new one.

The Heart will live on and am sure have great success in the future!!

• Like 4

They should have kept the Red & White for the home strip. Also added a Red Stripe between the Sky Blue and Navy Blue which should be the away strip.

I do hope you guys stick with it though. Maybe you will grow to love the club as you did Melbourne Heart.

I am sure most of you will be wearing your old Red & White tops to the games and probably buy the new one.

City. Football. Group.

The original City is blue.

Who thought that Melbourne Heart would not become Melbourne City, or that the home kit wouldn't be red and white?

CFG has been mentioned so often here, yet people often forgot the 'City' bit. This is not me rubbing it in, as I am a newcomer here, but the writing was on the wall the moment Manchester City came waltzing into town. How have CFG let anyone down? It's already been said by stalwart fans, that no promises were made, and that what was best for the club would occur.

That said, I do hope that everyone will get behind this new and improved Heart, because it is going to be one hell of a beast.

City. Football. Group.

The original City is blue.

Who thought that Melbourne Heart would not become Melbourne City, or that the home kit wouldn't be red and white?

CFG has been mentioned so often here, yet people often forgot the 'City' bit. This is not me rubbing it in, as I am a newcomer here, but the writing was on the wall the moment Manchester City came waltzing into town. How have CFG let anyone down? It's already been said by stalwart fans, that no promises were made, and that what was best for the club would occur.

That said, I do hope that everyone will get behind this new and improved Heart, because it is going to be one hell of a beast.

They didn't say anything to the fans much less give them promises.

The fans spoke loud and clear that they wanted to keep Red & White has their home strip

CFG have said FUCK YOU!! in no uncertain terms.

Am afraid I will not be so trusting on Ferrano et all from this day forward. Would have Gary Cook over him any day fo the week. At least he cares about fan's identity.

This would be the Garry that welcomed Uwe Rosler to the Manchester United Hall of Fame?

TBH, I am surprised there are not more like yourself, silva10 - by the way an unusual name for a diehard Heart fan - but most seem to have already come to terms with it and realise the potential that Melbourne City will attain.

This would be the Garry that welcomed Uwe Rosler to the Manchester United Hall of Fame?

TBH, I am surprised there are not more like yourself, silva10 - by the way an unusual name for a diehard Heart fan - but most seem to have already come to terms with it and realise the potential that Melbourne City will attain.

I am a City fan

It makes me laugh when people bring that shit up about Cook....but to me it just shows he is a normal guy....he did great for our club and ensured our identity was built on.

It is very easy for City fans to say what a great future that Melbourne will have but if the tables were turned all of us would feel differently

I guess we will see what happens in the future but CFG certainly don't have the trust of Heart fans

Edited by silva10
  • Like 2

I am a City fan

It makes me laugh when people bring that shit up about Cook....but to me it just shows he is a normal guy....he did great for our club and ensured our identity was built on.

It is very easy for City fans to say what a great future that Melbourne will have but if the tables were turned all of us would feel differently

I guess we will see what happens in the future but CFG certainly don't have the trust of Heart fans

We will see. And we will see them win things. (By the way, bringing up "that shit" about Cook isn't funny)

I am a City fan

We will see. And we will see them win things. (By the way, bringing up "that shit" about Cook isn't funny)

It is also bullshit......for the few gaffes he made he moved our club on considerably

I don't doubt the New Melbourne team will win trophies.....just a pity it couldn't have been the old team for the fan's sake

Edited by silva10

I am a City fan

It is also bullshit......for the few gaffes he made he moved our club on considerably

I don't doubt the New Melbourne team will win trophies.....just a pity it couldn't have been the old team for the fan's sake

Perhaps, but that is no longer the case, so it is all moot. Mind you, I look at this as a metamorphism, and not "new".

As a 'member' from the beginning I was hoping that they would keep the red&white as the home kit and supported the campaign to do so. But I am old now, so I was quite conscious  that the club had to get serious owners who would make serious changes. In the end the compromise is quite acceptable to me. Over time as new 'members' arrive I am hoping that the club remains mindful of its humble beginnings and those that had to witness and endure the Aloisi era. I am also quite respectful of those who have spent loads of time and effort for the club.

Erm, It was actually Garry Cook that laid the groundwork for what CFG was to become today.. The guideline for global City as Garry put it was "Blue is the colour, city is the name".
That said the idea of having a select number of clubs can´t be attributed to him but was envisioned by Ferran Soriano more than a decade ago when he was still with Barcelona most likely as he proposed the idea at the time.

As for comparing them I´d say that Cook was a marketing guy with a tendency to shoot himself in the foot but yeah, popular with the fans.
Soriano is a guy that spent a week silently drinking in bars where fans hanged out to listen to the gossip where as Cook waded in buying everyone drinks.
That really tells you all you need to know about their personalities I guess.

parableofsheep.jpg

Nothing wrong with sheep as we are all God's children or sheep if you will. Much better than having Satan's goat in our emblem.

God bless you all and have a nice day. :)