Melbourne Football

Something Stinks @ FFA when new team win Premiers Plate in Debut Season

MHTIDALIVE

I think you're over reacting. No one expected WSW to be quite so successful. The year or two before had been disastrous with Fury and Gold Coast folding. FFA had to get it right with WSW. Thanks God they did for the sake of the whole league. It is a shame they had the concessions though because it has probably taken a little bit of shine off the win and they probably would not have come first without concessions seeing as they only won by 3 points (assuming CCM beat us or would have if they'd needed to). 

Next year is going to be interesting. 

It is sad to see that they had to get it right with WSW. They could of got it right with the 2nd Melbourne team. Why was it assumed that that it would be alright as it was. Personally, I love Melbourne Heart but FUCK ME the FFA give me the shits. They screw everything up at our expense. How about now they concentrate on getting the 2nd side in Melbourne to be successful and then the A-League as a whole might grow.

Something stinks at FFA when new team win Premiers Plate in Debut Season. If Melbourne Heart had a leg up WSW maybe we would be premiers in our first and second seasons. Maybe even our third.

Can't see the FFA helping us too much. Sad to see really.

It's quite clearly the government, FFA and the illumanati are working together :droy:

Perhaps if we had dedicated our first season with a very expensive coach and fairly expensive squad on winning games rather than on youth and regional development we too could achieved things straight away.

Tony Popovic > JVS

This

A few points.

I don't have a problem with WSW doing so well in their first season. They've shown what can be done with a group of A-League rejects and a few imports.

Yes, they have concessions. But our own Chairman was one of the three-man chairman/owners panel that recommended that these concessions be made. We cannot now cry foul on that one.

Yes, WSW is wholly owned and run by FFA, using a grant of $8m made by the Commonwealth Government to promote football in NSW. Whether this is a direct or indirect grant doesn't matter - that's where the money actually comes from. There is not a single dollar of private investment in WSW.

We have had a horror season it's true, but I don't see why everyone is so negative about MHFC and why there is this continual navel-gazing about the club. We have come into the tightest market in the nation, dominated by AFL and MV. Despite that we have established a loyal fan base, we are doing well with sponsorships, and we are stronger financially than most other A-League clubs. Whether this has come at the expense of on-field performance is very debatable - I don't think it has. Our results this season have been poor not because of money, but because we haven't played out every game for the full 95 minutes, and because we've made some questionable decisions around the coaching and playing squads.

I think our focus now should be on next season, not dwelling on the past.

• Like 1

Whether this has come at the expense of on-field performance is very debatable - I don't think it has. Our results this season have been poor not because of money, but because we haven't played out every game for the full 95 minutes, and because we've made some questionable decisions around the coaching and playing squads.

This is because of money though. The reason we have not been playing out the entire game comes back to coaching. Appointing Aloisi was a decision made to save money and gain cheap publicity for the club. I think you will find that most other questionable decision will come back to saving money too.

Credit should go to the coaching staff who got 100% out of every player on the roster, many of whom were released by their previous clubs having been deemed not good enough. As well as keeping their roster relatively injury free throughout the season, something we have struggled with since day 1.

Perhaps if we had dedicated our first season with a very expensive coach and fairly expensive squad on winning games rather than on youth and regional development we too could achieved things straight away.

Tony Popovic > JVS

This sounds like revisionist history to me.

In what instances did the club put youth development over winning games in our first season...?

Apart from Heffernan and Beachamp being locked out of the squad in favour of Behich and Marrone, I can't remember any other instances where youth got priority over experience. And with the way both of the latter players turned out, I think it's hard to critcise JVS on that. Their squad has just about the same mix of youth and experience as we did in our first season.

The club should have played more of it's first practice games locally though as the Wanderers did, rather then playing them in Geelong/Morwell/Bendigo. This went a long way to helping them establish a core fanbase long before the club had even kicked a ball in anger.

Unlike West Sydney there was no real gap in the market here, so of course the FFA are not going to help us. We wanted in on this league so it is up to us to stand on our two feet.

Disagree entirely.

If the league was independently run (as it should be), then it would be up to us too stand on our own 2 feet. But as long as the FFA controls and runs the league, it is their obligation and their interest to make sure all clubs are successful.

You also make it sound like we forced ourselves onto this league. The FFA/Vic Government and a number of football stakeholders wanted a 2nd Melbourne licence from version 2 of the A-League.

The FFA should have given us more support when we came in, but we came in at a time when the FFA had committed their resources to winning a World Cup bid and had taken their eye off the success of the A-League. Something the Wanderers have not had to contend with.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 2

If next year is anything like the past 3 years, I'd half want Munn/the board to leave and hand the club back to the FFA to be rebooted and given the Wanderers treatment.  The Heart perpetually limping along in the bottom half of the league with the worst crowds in the league and zero ambition to change that is painful and will only be bad for our future and the future of the a-league.

• Like 1

Tony Popovic > JVS

JVS was on 700k so yes we did have a very expensive coach in our first season and the squad back then was just as good as WSW's now. The problem was that we hired a coach on name only just like we did with JA and as a result we've had 3 miserable seasons.