Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart Financial Talk

MrAiDaN66

I congratulate the club for making this club somehow sustainable financially after only 3 seasons and ensuring a future which we can hopefully now build on.

There is so much criticism on this forum but what they have done with limited resources and crowds is amazing.

This year we have a squad that is good enough to be top 4. The board can't actually get them there.

• Like 1

In the future, it would be wise to get rid of the Matt Thompson, Simon Colosimo, Fred and Clint Bolton. These 4 im pretty sure are our highest paid players (besides Garcia) and this season they have either been shit, injured or dropped. (However it would probably be wise to keep Bolton as a GK coach)

The money on these players make up almost half of our total salary, it definitely could be put to better use.

And get rid off Hoffman

Edited by Tbitm
  • Like 1

This year we have a squad that is good enough to be top 4.

Questionable.

Very. But this squad has astronomically underachieved. To be sitting dead last is nothing short of criminal. 

On the finances side, who would of thought CCM are in financial difficulties... We may not be as flush as the blue and white shite, but we're certainly not on our knees as they would like. The club can only get stronger with the blueprint that has been laid out for the foreseeable future and seeking further investment from overseas. However I don't believe a title is a realistic target for a lot of years to come. 

Edited by spain82

This is what i have heard from people involved in the club and not sure if it is true but wouldnt be surprised if it is. Apparently the club as $4000 as a game day budget and that is northing compared to other clubs and therefore needs 7000 fans to break even and with some of the performances put in, the club would struggle to reach this.

Also there are lots of volunteers the club uses which hopefully can help them save some more money

FFA will be paying the cap next year from their media deal, there should be extra fiscal freedom.

Knowing this the club should be spending wisely. Advertising should increase, more work in the off season attracting new fans and going out an getting new fans not sitting and waiting for it to happen.

There is no excuse, a lot of things the club can do to improve.

Also if the FFA are paying the salary cap, surely now we can spend a lot more for equalisation sake.

• Like 1

Central Coast may have missed player payments again. To the best of my knowledge this has never happened here. I'd be interested to know how much the board spends on grass roots development of a supporter base, if this money was spent towards a marquee would we be pulling larger crowds and building long term support?

Just a  thought.

its funny because if you were a distant supporter and didnt read into this forum, you would think everything is fine and dandy with finances, which imo is true to an extent. but being a reader of this daily, more than anything else, geez people make you worried 

As has been already said, why all the navel-gazing?

Peter Sidwell has dealt with all these issues. We are not going anywhere. We are Melbourne Heart and we play at AAMI Park. He leads the syndicate that has a 10-year licence to play in the A-League. The syndicate has a particular set of philosophies that it believes in, and it's comfortable with the position it is in.

Yes, we want more members, bigger crowds and better crowds, but the syndicate is not going to chew up their money to achieve that at the present time.

We should stick to things that we can do and not things that are outside of our control. We can make suggestions and put forward our points of view to MHFC  via the Representative Group. We know that MHFC is receptive. We can try to recruit more members via the 'One Melburnian' campaign and other initiatives. We can produce a good fanzine, run a good website, produce the Heartcast etc. etc.  Without dwelling on certain events this season we can work to improve the image of MHFC and of football in general. All these things are under our control, whether as an individual or as a group.

IMO that is the way forward.

• Like 4

This year we have a squad that is good enough to be top 4. The board can't actually get them there.

I think that we don't have a top 4 squad. We lost our first choice back 4, a recipe for a poor season for any club. We have key players well past their best, we've had a lot of injuries and not the quality in their backups. This was always going to be a transitional year for the club - new senior and youth coaching squads, half the senior list turned over, half the youth quad turned over. whilst the club being profitable is good from a business sense, it makes little sense at this time of the team's development from a football perspective. It'll condemn us to be the Munich1860 of Melbourne. The Board can do what they want with their money but it would help if they were up front about their plans.

• Like 1

Hopefully the board realise they need to spend some money and stop this 'balancing the books' bullshit. Get rid of Colosimo, Hoffman, Macallister, Fred, Thompson. Buy some decent players, if they play a shitload better on the pitch, more people will wonder what the fuck is this team doing??? Shit, they've got good signings, they have a crack EVERY week. Fuck me, they're winning AWAY too.

Would you rather balance the books now and ensure the future viability of the club or sacrifice long term stability in favour of possible short term results?

The hyperbole about 'breaking even' being bad on this forum sometimes are amazing

There is a real balancing act between being strong financially and being able to produce a team that is strong on the pitch. I think most people at the moment just feel the club is just being a little cautious. After all good results on field attract more people too matches therefore more revenue.

• Like 1

Would you rather balance the books now and ensure the future viability of the club or sacrifice long term stability in favour of possible short term results?

The hyperbole about 'breaking even' being bad on this forum sometimes are amazing

There is a real balancing act between being strong financially and being able to produce a team that is strong on the pitch. I think most people at the moment just feel the club is just being a little cautious. After all good results on field attract more people too matches therefore more revenue.

Agreed either way you look at it. I'm a foundation member and just frustrated that we had the season we did. (2games left though) I want some of those players out and new players brought in. Sitting amongst a lowly 4,000-6,000 every home game needs something to attract more people. If the board can even be prepared to lose a little coin in order to get crowd numbers up, marquee player or something.

• Like 1

Agreed either way you look at it. I'm a foundation member and just frustrated that we had the season we did. (2games left though) I want some of those players out and new players brought in. Sitting amongst a lowly 4,000-6,000 every home game needs something to attract more people. If the board can even be prepared to lose a little coin in order to get crowd numbers up, marquee player or something.

I think you could have just said "I'm a supporter" rather than foundation member

I think you could have just said "I'm a supporter" rather than foundation member

As much as it seems like we are in a bad financial position.... at least we can pay wages? I think doing the hard yards in the early years will hold us in good stead for the future. Am I right in saying we are the only club that has never had FFA assistance? if this is true and it stays that way thats deffinitly a plus and something we can be proud of.

• Like 1

foundation member (won't mention it again for whatever fucking reason if some dickhead doesn't fucking like it) shall I just just call myself a fucking supporter then if that makes you happy?

What do you mean 'read past those words'? Is it the 'foundation member' thing or something else I've said that annoys you? Didn't think there was any harm in saying I've been a member since day fucking dot and I was fed up with the way we played this season for most parts of it. My own opinion is that the board spend some money in the hope a player of good quality might bring more people to the games, but then again what the fuck would a foundation member like me know.

• Like 1

I think our priority should be 'steadying the books' but at the same time making little adjustments here and there so they are able to make profit by profit. A little + a little = bigger.

I honestly don't think our on field performance is a top priority for the club. But rather steadying the books off field.

But success on field can bring success financially too in many ways through sales ie. merch, tickets (game day attendance) etc.

A marquee, obviously will cost a bit, but if you mix the right ingredients, it turns into profit either on field or off field with sales.

I think a way of Balancing the books is to balance the priorities

foundation member (won't mention it again for whatever fucking reason if some dickhead doesn't fucking like it) shall I just just call myself a fucking supporter then if that makes you happy?

What do you mean 'read past those words'? Is it the 'foundation member' thing or something else I've said that annoys you? Didn't think there was any harm in saying I've been a member since day fucking dot and I was fed up with the way we played this season for most parts of it. My own opinion is that the board spend some money in the hope a player of good quality might bring more people to the games, but then again what the fuck would a foundation member like me know.

We all are supporters :)

Everyone does their bit for the club, I commend you for being a foundation member , I am not saying you don't know anything .

Some ppl on here have said they are or have been foundation members and they make sure everyone knows about it

• Like 1

Cool. Point taken. After 6, 7 or 8 more years of balancing the books and scraping into the finals every few seasons I'll make sure that I'm allowed to quote my 'foundation member' status to the dickheads that jump on board when we finally do have a trophy winning season. Should be a more glorified tag when that happens. For now, 'supporter' is fine.

• Like 2

Why? We are "Foundation Members", why can't we state that fact??  :P  Are you?

• Like 2