Melbourne Football

Mitch Nichols

[LIBBA]

Another midfielder to throw in the mix. Is JA coming out with a 3-6-1 next season or something?

IF we are linked, that would mean we have the following:

Out-of-Contract Mids

Fred

Kalmar

Thompson

Germano

Meeuvis

Edwards

Hoffman

Signed Mids

Mauk

Radar Mids

Archibald

Nichols

Kaya

Groenwald

MARQUEE?

Edited by biancorosso7

Another midfielder to throw in the mix. Is JA coming out with a 3-6-1 next season or something?

IF we are linked, that would mean we have the following:

Out-of-Contract Mids

Fred

Kalmar

Thompson

Germano

Meeuvis

Edwards

Signed Mids

Mauk

Hoffman

Radar Mids

Archibald

Nichols

Kaya

Groenwald

MARQUEE?

Hoffman contract is up at the end of season and he will be let go.

• Like 1

Mitch would be a good honest worker for the team BUT I don't rate him technically. In Ange's team he and others looked good because they were working in a well drilled system like Popovic at WSW. Even Haliti looks like a gun in that team FFS.

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

As per the comment in the Thompson thread...what JA and JD do when these players come out of contract at the end of this season is a critical point for the club and the pathway it chooses for the future.

No point in re-signing players who no longer cut it at A-League level for whatever reason - skill, reaction time, playing style, injury status etc. And no point in re-signing players to sit on the bench for $200,000 plus per season.

Also no point in signing new players on an ad hoc basis and then wondering how the hell we're going to fit them into our playing style.

Mitch Nichols is an attacking midfielder - 23 goals in 119 A-League appearances I think - better than a lot of so-called strikers. But no point in signing him and then having him tooling around in the NYL or sitting on the A-League bench for 80 minutes each week.

Can honestly see us resigning all those mids except Hoffman and Edwards.

I think Fred is almost def gone as he will prob demand to much cash, and wont be content to be mainly a sub for next season.

I think Fred would actually take a decent pay cut, he is very keen to stay in Aus, family love it here! And they love their local area of Ivanhoe.

Issue is more likely foreign spot then cash, he would probably have to take at least a 50% cut to stay... minimum. But I think it is likely.

As for Nichols, can't stand the guy, still pissed he kicked Behich in the shin off the ball in that first whopping we gave Brissy. He is talented, no doubt, but I think he is too much of an arrogant prick for Heart to really seek him out.

Has been utter shite this season, and was still very hot an cold during Brisbanes 2 successful seasons. He seems to like to have a sook when he doesn't get the ball during a game and mopes around out on the pitch, don't think Brisbane fans would miss him too much after this seasons performances.

At the right price he would be a good addition, but only if he puts it together on the park on a regular basis. Re-signing Germano would be much higher on my priority list.

• Like 1

We need constructive, creative, mobile and quick midfielders who are going to 'pass and move'. We have seen Mate in cameo midfield roles on a couple of occasions, and he's looked good. Question mark over his stamina however.

Walker would be our best right winger IMO. Wasted as a full-back.