Melbourne Football

Round 23 | 2:30pm Sunday, March 3rd | Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin

Jimmy

If Vrankovic puts in another good effort, does he challenge Colosimo for a starting spot when Gerhardt comes back v Adelaide?

No, Colosimo had a better game than Vranks against SFC and has had solid second half of the season plus a lot of Domestic Finals expeirence.

Colosimo is making less Mr Bean type errors in defence, in fact he's ben consistently solid, however he still struggles to play out from the back and this impacts on the team performance

This is a HUGE opportunity for Melbourne Heart. I can't see Newcastle winning in Wellington or Melbourne this week. Given the performances of Perth lately, i wouldn't be surprised if Sydney drew over there or even lost. Brisbane will also be doing it tough in Adelaide.

This could be the round that we really put pressure on the other three teams and make them chase us for a finals spot.

I honestly can't see Newcastle making finals given their two aforementioned fixtures, i can see them getting zero or perhaps one point out of six. If we get a result here and bring something back from our trip to Brisbane, i think we'll be very good odds to make the finals. A huge two weeks, and a huge match.

You make some good points about how important this week's game is to us,

But lets not forget just like the other teams attempting to make up the numbers in the finals we also have some tough matches on our road home too:

Mainly CCM in Gosford and WSW at Home will not be easy either...

IMO one of the most important - perhaps the most important - changes in attitude that JA has to instill into his troops for next season and beyond is that every game during the season is important and is a six-point game. Not just the last handful of games when you're scrabbling about trying to sneak into 6th place.

If we had those points that we threw away earlier in the season because of lack of intensity we would be sitting pretty now...

Have this eerie feeling that if we lose on Sunday, John will be shown the door :wacko:

Your "eerie feeling" is wrong

Your probably right mate, but I just get this feeling that if Newcastle can win there, and they haven't won a game there since 07, if johnny can't at least get a draw, that heart hq may decide its time to move him on

Mind you, I think we'll win 2-1 but it would be interesting to get peopli thoughts about John's career prospects if we lost on Sunday

Have this eerie feeling that if we lose on Sunday, John will be shown the door :wacko:

Your "eerie feeling" is wrong

Your probably right mate, but I just get this feeling that if Newcastle can win there, and they haven't won a game there since 07, if johnny can't at least get a draw, that heart hq may decide its time to move him on

Mind you, I think we'll win 2-1 but it would be interesting to get peopli thoughts about John's career prospects if we lost on Sunday

Nope. The fan forum pointed out the Johnny will be stuck with for at least the second year of his contract as he's had to deal with a raft of injuries and players being sold this year. No way will he get the chop.

If you've seen the Jets first goal last night, then you'll have to agree that we need to bury all chances we have in the first 30 mins. If we can be 2 or 3 goals up after 30 mins, which based on the Nix defence is more than a possibility, then we will be in good stead.

I rate our backline a lot more than Newy's and I think we've learnt how to grind out periods of time during matches.

Look for the Walker-Garcia combination to have a riot down the right.

Tempted to go to this. Especially considering it's in Dunedin

How would you get there? Srsly

Dad's flying to New Zealand for business and we're seeing if his work is going to allow me to tag along

Unless his Bidness is in Dunedin, prob isn't, how would you get there. It's not like Auckland or Wellington

Tempted to go to this. Especially considering it's in Dunedin

How would you get there? Srsly

Dad's flying to New Zealand for business and we're seeing if his work is going to allow me to tag along

Unless his Bidness is in Dunedin, prob isn't, how would you get there. It's not like Auckland or Wellington

Give us a luft tew ya duck-ed

Edited by Dylan

Given our woeful away form and that we've taken just one point from Wellington this season I don't rate us a good chance for this game.

But they're propping up the ladder, and if we don't win it really means we're not good enough to feature in the 'finals.'

A must-win game.

Hi everyone, if you are coming to this match then on behalf of Dunedin City, I welcome you. Might not be as special as a Mayoral welcome to the city but I've arranged for that too - this Saturday at 1pm in the equivalent of our town square, "The Octagon".

Here are the details of events for the weekend. Please feel free to join us!

Saturday 2 March

10:30am-12:00pm - (Phoenix) open training session at Forsyth Barr Stadium. Come along and spy on your enemies.

1pm-3pm - The inaugural Octagon Festival of Football. Be there and join the Melbourne Heart Supporters in taking on Yellow Fever on the Octagon lawn. A special guest from the Heart will be there!

Alibi Bar (Octagon) - $6 tap beers and house wines until close (9pm for a private function) - available to anyone in Phoenix gear that asks for the offer, and I'm sure if you are in Heart gear they will sort you out too ;)

Sunday 3 March

9am-3pm - Alibi Bar Fever pre-match. 25% off brunch/lunch, $6 tap beers and house wines - available to anyone in Phoenix gear that asks for the offer - once again if you ask for the deal and you are in Heart gear, they will sort you out. Tell them Ahmad sent you ;)

3:15pm - March to the Phoenix Match. Join us as we march down town and through the University Campus along to Forsyth Barr Stadium. Come crash our party if you want to! But keep it clean please. Family event.

Post-match - Craft Bar (also in the Octagon). As we were told that Alibi would be closed on Sunday night, post-match will be at Craft Bar. They will be offering: $5 Export 33s. $6 Monteith Classic Range. This excludes Cider and the Brewer's Series. Also $5 off board mains (excluding the Sunday Roast special). Available to anyone in Phoenix gear that asks for the offer - yada yada.

Cheers to DB, Alibi, and Craft for these specials. Please remember that these specials are PRIVILEGES - ie. don't be a dick if you are told that there are specific exclusions and try to push it. If you have any issues have a chat to the bar manager or me.

Edited by ahmad

Sunday, March 3

Wellington Phoenix v Melbourne Heart

Venue: Forsyth Barr Stadium

Kick off: 4:30PM (2.30pm AEDT)

Referee: Brenton Hayward

Assistant referee 1: Mark Rule

Assistant referee 2: Glenn Lochrie

Fourth official: Alex Azcurra

Live and exclusive broadcast on FOX Sports 1HD and Sky Sports 1

ABC Radio Coverage - Grandstand Digital Melbourne & online