Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

And if you really are any good at the game you will be noticed by the big clubs much more readily if you're in in Europe than if you are here.

We might hear a lot about ourselves while we're at home. But ever been overseas and tried to find out what's going on back home? We just don't feature. We're down the bottom right-hand corner of their map of the world, and if they painted over us in blue no-one would remember that we're here at all.

• Like 2

Correct JW

If you managed a top tier club and had to sent out scouts, where would you ask them to look.

All over Europe or across the globe down to our corner of the world?

No need to answer it.

As a player you are 10 times more likely to be picked up while playing in the old continent.

Period.

Apparently we're linked with Diego Forlan, according to this internet rumour: http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=94177

It's said he's on too much money for his J-League club (Cerezo Osaka) to hold onto him, even though he' scored plenty of goals in Japan, so he might be released soon, possibly after the World Cup. This isn't the first time he's been linked with an A-League move either (according to his article: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/cashedup-sydney-fc-go-bigname-hunting-with-didier-drogba-and-frank-lampard-as-targets/story-fnk6rp8q-1226900091205), so there might be something to it.

A star player who's still performing, he'd be a fine signing IMO.

• Like 1

I agree with you Jestr.

I have simplified things.

I mean, for a young player the thought of earning very, very good money overseas playing the game he loves would also bring a sense of adventure.
When I was really young the aim of playing around the world in my own chosen sport excited me.

However, I think my overall point is still valid.

If enough money could be earned by numerous players in the A League, which at present is impossible due to the FFA mandated lowly salary cap with only 2 marquees permitted,
then we would have large numbers of quality Australian players playing a significant amount of their careers in the A League. I would expect in such a scenario  that about 50% of the Socceroos squad would be home based players.

If for example, Melbourne City offered Leckie or another of our best young Socceroos an excellent contract paying MORE money than overseas I'm sure it would not be dismissed out of hand and would be seriously considered. For starters they KNOW that playing in the A League does NOT rule out Socceroos selection.

While I'm about it I wouldn't mind us entering the chase with Fulham and probably a number of other clubs for the A League's leading goal scorer, Adam Taggart, as our Australian marquee.  Maybe we should offer significantly more money than Fulham. Compare Adam Taggart's finishing with what we had last year. Need I remind anyone what he did to us! We need to think big for our Australian marquee and offer enough money to get an exciting Socceroo on the way up - not a Socceroo in decline nearing the end of his career, and so also probably more prone to injury. We have the money.

While I'm about it I wouldn't mind us entering the chase with Fulham and probably a number of other clubs for the A League's leading goal scorer, Adam Taggart, as our Australian marquee. Maybe we should offer significantly more money than Fulham. Compare Adam Taggart's finishing with what we had last year. Need I remind anyone what he did to us! We need to think big for our Australian marquee and offer enough money to get an exciting Socceroo on the way up - not a Socceroo in decline nearing the end of his career, and so also probably more prone to injury. We have the money.

People need to understand that no transfer fees are allowed between A-League clubs. Only those who are out of contract can sign for another A-League side.

While I'm about it I wouldn't mind us entering the chase with Fulham and probably a number of other clubs for the A League's leading goal scorer, Adam Taggart, as our Australian marquee.  Maybe we should offer significantly more money than Fulham. Compare Adam Taggart's finishing with what we had last year. Need I remind anyone what he did to us! We need to think big for our Australian marquee and offer enough money to get an exciting Socceroo on the way up - not a Socceroo in decline nearing the end of his career, and so also probably more prone to injury. We have the money.

I think you need to get past your view that just because we're now rich, we can throw money at anyone and entice them to play here when it's not the case at all. 

Players have different motives and whilst some are motivated by money, most players (especially younger ones) are motivated by success and the opportunity to shine on the world stage and advance their careers overseas.

• Like 3

I think you need to get past your view that just because we're now rich, we can throw money at anyone and entice them to play here when it's not the case at all. 

Players have different motives and whilst some are motivated by money, most players (especially younger ones) are motivated by success and the opportunity to shine on the world stage and advance their careers overseas.

This is spot on. The only big names to arrive will be those at the end of their careers.

Apparently we're linked with Diego Forlan, according to this internet rumour: http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=94177

It's said he's on too much money for his J-League club (Cerezo Osaka) to hold onto him, even though he' scored plenty of goals in Japan, so he might be released soon, possibly after the World Cup. This isn't the first time he's been linked with an A-League move either (according to his article: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/cashedup-sydney-fc-go-bigname-hunting-with-didier-drogba-and-frank-lampard-as-targets/story-fnk6rp8q-1226900091205), so there might be something to it.

A star player who's still performing, he'd be a fine signing IMO.

Most rumours are, of course, nonsense, but if there's a shred of truth in this then it's worth mentioning that Cerezo have only just changed manager. It could be that their new boss has assessed his squad and decided he could do better without Forlan?

While I'm about it I wouldn't mind us entering the chase with Fulham and probably a number of other clubs for the A League's leading goal scorer, Adam Taggart, as our Australian marquee. Maybe we should offer significantly more money than Fulham. Compare Adam Taggart's finishing with what we had last year. Need I remind anyone what he did to us! We need to think big for our Australian marquee and offer enough money to get an exciting Socceroo on the way up - not a Socceroo in decline nearing the end of his career, and so also probably more prone to injury. We have the money.

Players have different motives and whilst some are motivated by money, most players (especially younger ones) are motivated by success and the opportunity to shine on the world stage and advance their careers overseas. This is spot on. The only big names to arrive will be those at the end of their careers.

He is contracted to jets. We can't buy him

Players have different motives and whilst some are motivated by money, most players (especially younger ones) are motivated by success and the opportunity to shine on the world stage and advance their careers overseas.This is spot on. The only big names to arrive will be those at the end of their careers. He is contracted to jets. We can't buy him

But can Manchester City?

Marca reporting that Xavi is confirmed to leave Barcelona, and the report said he might be off to the MLS:

The club has no intention of standing in the way of their player leaving the Camp Nou following a meeting with the player's agent last Tuesday. He is set to join Qatari outfit, Al Arabi, although some sources report that he is off to the MLS.

http://www.marca.com/2014/06/21/en/football/barcelona/1403335502.html

I can't quite imagine Sheikh Mansour, such a powerful UAE figure, who along with his CFG group seemed really keen on Xavi, being beaten by some rather random Qatari club in their pursuit of Xavi. If Mansour and CFG have the pulling power they reputedly have, then I reckon they should be able to secure Xavi, if they are especially keen on him. And if CFG get Xavi for NYCFC, then I think we're something of a chance for Lampard.

It will be interesting to see how things develop with Xavi

I know that this thread is about marquees but it has veered towards the motivation for players to head overseas or aging stars coming to Oz. As long as the A-League continues to improve in quality and we can offer reasonable remuneration then young players are more likely to remain here in Oz a bit longer. Also a number of players have returned (eg. Troisi) who were unable to break in to regular first team football overseas. So perhaps we can entice some of these players to remain in Oz until they are more mature in their development.

Possibly Theofanis Gekas as international marquee. Yes i know majority of you will complain that he is old, but he is quality and clinical. Apparently his contact ends 30th June 2014 but i reckon he will prove to be a reliable striker once Villa leaves. 

He was top goal scorer in 2010 for the Europe section of World Cup qualification

What are your thoughts?

Possibly Theofanis Gekas as international marquee. Yes i know majority of you will complain that he is old, but he is quality and clinical. Apparently his contact ends 30th June 2014 but i reckon he will prove to be a reliable striker once Villa leaves. 

He was top goal scorer in 2010 for the Europe section of World Cup qualification

What are your thoughts?

Personally I think he, along with Samaras, is over-rated. Might sound a bit harsh on them considering the whole Greek attack is pretty toothless, but  I just don't think they're that great now. Gekas' header against the crossbar from a few yards out the other day was quite awful.

I'm sure the scouts can find someone better for us as an international marquee.

And THAT there ladies and gentlemen is why SAMARAS would be a FANTASTIC Australian Marquee for our club!!

Woot woot wooooooooot!!! ;):):D:lol:

With JA in charge, under heart banner he would be seriously considered

With city treasure chest...... We can do better

• Like 1