Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

There are still very strong rumours circulating about Milligan heading away from the Visitors for a big pay day.  I suspect the offers will be upped if he keeps form at the WC.  This would mean Troisi would most likely be retained by the Visitors if this came up. I suspect Kennedy would be keen to do business now, but any other Socceroo for our squad would have to be on hold - put in a couple of good games and the price and interest from others just goes up. 

Milligan has been signed by 10 international clubs over the past 5 years (including Arsenal), if you believe his PR team.

But, I think he's finally at that level now to attract interest. 

I'd be surprised if Troisi's Italian club didn't either keep him or sell him, another loan would seem like a nothing move.

Edited by mulhollanddrive

It'd be great to sign Bresciano. I haven't seen him play since City were interested in him a few years ago. Was disappointed then that it didn't work out. You could see his quality. Himself and Cahill were a level above anyone else for Australia. Would love Cahill too ;-).

Not ruling out the possibility of getting Kennedy & Bresciano as our marquees.

Sydney had 2 Australian marquees when Emerton became available and Carle was already their Australian marquee.

I believe this may be a risk though, taking in consideration both have nagging injuries, we don't want a repeat of last year both draw card players Engelaar and Kewell were sidelined for the first half of the season and our results suffered majorly.

Saying that if both were fit we will be a tough team to beat

• Like 1

I have to be honest here...we have signed David Villa for ten matches and a PL player inside the cap. I think we can do a bit better than Kennedy/Cahill/Bresciano as our marquees. Maybe one of them for our Australian marquee, but not both. If the rumours are true, and we are chasing players like Lampard, why bother with two injury-prone Australian players?

I have to be honest here...we have signed David Villa for ten matches and a PL player inside the cap. I think we can do a bit better than Kennedy/Cahill/Bresciano as our marquees. Maybe one of them for our Australian marquee, but not both. If the rumours are true, and we are chasing players like Lampard, why bother with two injury-prone Australian players?

I think most people on here would be referring Kennedy/Cahill/Bresciano as marquee's assuming most people would know they mean Australian marquee

Look above my original post. Someone said that there is a possibility of having two Australian marquees. I'm asking why anyone would want that considering Lampard is, theoretically, a possibility?

Also, rumour is that Australian marquee is the toughest to get due to paucity of availability. Surely this means we wouldn't bother with two.

Look above my original post. Someone said that there is a possibility of having two Australian marquees. I'm asking why anyone would want that considering Lampard is, theoretically, a possibility?

Also, rumour is that Australian marquee is the toughest to get due to paucity of availability. Surely this means we wouldn't bother with two.

Sorry mate missed that post.

Wouldnt want them both wasting our marquee spots.its either one or the other and to be honest, id prefer Cahill or Bresciano.

Bit of an indictment, really, that we're all cashed up and ready for an Australian marquee but can't find anyone who really stands out as "must have."

Perhaps we'd be better off adjusting our use of what remains inside the cap and trying to fit in a ManC EDS player rather than have an Australian marquee outside the cap. Plus our international marquee. We would still be a pretty potent side.

Not that he'd be Marquee but would Aston Villa's Chris Herd be a good fit for MelC?

Would be great. Still under contract though.

No one seems to know what's going on with Chris Herd, he withdrew himself from WC contention for personal reasons and hasn't played for Villa for months.

If I had a pinger for every time someone suggested Richard porta for a a league club I could get the whole of yarra side gacked for 2 weeks straight

I agree with your rough theory. Seriously, has anyone seen him play? Does anyone think that if he was that good he'd be here already? The fact that the socceroos opted to take 1 striker to Brazil even though he's fit?

Only 28 and seems comfortable where he is (also re: socceroos, he represented uruguay at U20 level - wasn't that enough for traore to be knocked back?)

Allegations that Herd may retire, another claims he knows a friend who went to his wedding!? Says he still has passion and definitely not retiring . Just had a kid and got married in Ibiza. Strong rumours that contract is rescinded with Villa. Could be home sick, been in os since 13.....

Edited by Pandev

Bit of an indictment, really, that we're all cashed up and ready for an Australian marquee but can't find anyone who really stands out as "must have."

Perhaps we'd be better off adjusting our use of what remains inside the cap and trying to fit in a ManC EDS player rather than have an Australian marquee outside the cap. Plus our international marquee. We would still be a pretty potent side.

My reply:

There are quite a few players who we could go after as an Australian marquee. Problem is many folks from here shout down those of us with big ambitions who believe we can now financially attract one of the best or most promising Socceroos who is not over the hill to join us. For example, if I mention Mathew Leckie I will probably be shouted down with comments like, "Why would he want to play in the A League?  He's too young to come back here. He's too good to come back here."

Not that he'd be Marquee but would Aston Villa's Chris Herd be a good fit for MelC?

Can we please not use MelC? - we are not a Spice Girl

Melb City? 

THANK YOU! The word Melbourne is usually truncated to Melb. not Mel.

Our club isn't a Spice Girl, nor does anyone refer to the two Melbourne Clubs by truncating the word Melbourne and adding the first letter of their second name, i.e. MelV & MelC as they do in Manchester. Melbourne Victory is commonly referred to as Victory or The Tards and Melbourne City are(will be) commonly referred to as "City" or "The Heart"

Can we stick to 'Melbourne City', 'The Heart' or at worst 'MelbC'? 

Thanks for listening...I'll go now!  :)

• Like 1