Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

as an off thought with the two marquee spots, it is my understanding that both spots can actually be filed by Aussies if the second Aussie is deemed a player that "represents Australia Internationally" thereby an international player.

now this would certainly not be my preference at all

but maybe one option for the club would be to sign Scotty Mac as the Aussie Marquee with whatever loan deal / guest stint for Lampard (Xavi, etc) as the the International Marquee for the first half of the season.  this then allows for that loan deal / guest stint to be replaced by Josh Kennedy as the International Marquee when Kennedy finishes in Japan

again, not my preference - mostly just pissing in the wind.

the reason i bring it up tho is that Scotty Mac would be a great signing as a second striker for Villa (during the 10 game spell) and then Kennedy.  given the pace in wide positions at the club, Scotty Mac could do a little as a false 10.  

far from perfect but perhaps something that could be outside the norm yet still quite effective.

Edited by mattyh001

I have to say, what are the chances of us actually signing Lampard? The bloke could literally walk into any PL team.

Villa was an incredible get but it is only for ten matches.

Signing Lampard just doesn't seem likely. Anything could happen though I guess.

Edited by Harrison

I have to say, what are the chances of us actually signing Lampard? The bloke could literally walk into any PL team.

$$$$$ <------ There's 5 reasons... would you like more??

It's a boys dream to make it big in the EPL... he has been there and done that. After the WC he will retire with/without winning it. But he has done everything else.

$$$$$ <------ There's 5 reasons... would you like more??

It's a boys dream to make it big in the EPL... he has been there and done that. After the WC he will retire with/without winning it. But he has done everything else.

Is he definitely retiring after the World Cup, or do you just mean there's no way he'll still be kicking around for England in 2018? I imagine that if he's based in the US, he'd still be considered for the national squad (if he was making himself available), but if he's in Australia, he won't be. That, along with the standard, would be the reason why we're only ever realistically likely to get guys in the twilight of their careers, if they're big-name Euros.

cant see us getting Lampard ourselves - if anything it will be another Villa scenario where he signs with NYC, and we get him as a guest.

This will probably be a regular occurrence due to dates - players whom NYC sign after the European season will have a long time before the MLS starts. Works perfectly for us.

In relation to lifestyle - what MCFC is creating is absolutely fantastic. Whilst money is one thing, what else they can offer even prospective Man City players is once you are older, we can offer you a path of a season in New York then perhaps Melbourne, Australia etc. 

Who wouldnt want to do a year in New York??

Edited by CityHeart
  • Like 2

The Border Mail newspaper tweeting and reporting that the club has been linked with Kennedy again:

Josh Kennedy has again been linked to the http://bit.ly/TH9bGO  ever-bulging ranks of @MelbourneCity @JoshKennedy16

https://twitter.com/bordermail/status/476530307533783040

Josh Kennedy latest to be linked with Melbourne City

Brad Worrall

June 11, 2014

JOSH Kennedy has again been linked to the ever bulging ranks of Melbourne City — this time as two-time EPL winner Damien Duff joins on a one-year deal.

The towering striker has played in the J-League with Nagoya Grampus since 2009 but has made no secret he is now looking for an A-League swansong.

The Border Mail understands Kennedy is drawn to the Melbourne clubs because of family, although there have been rumours the Newcastle Jets were also chasing his signature.

But with the formerly named Heart now owned by City Group, the multibillionaire owners of Manchester City, they will likely throw big money at Kennedy.

They have also been linked to fellow Socceroo Mark Bresciano.

Yesterday Duff, a 100-cap veteran of the Irish team and former Chelsea star, was the latest big name added to the mix, joining Spain’s David Villa, who will play 10 games as part of a cameo for City later this year.

Kennedy, 31, was dumped from his third World Cup finals at the final cut in Brazil last week.

A back injury which has affected his J-League year was given as the reason for the 33-cap Socceroo being left out of the squad.

In Rio he opened up to the media about a likely return to Australia, with his contract in Japan expiring in December.

“Yeah, it is a possibility,” Kennedy said.

“I had not thought about it too much until a few months ago, but we will see what happens.

“That’s the thing, I haven’t said officially I would or wouldn’t be coming back.”

Given City still has five spots to fill in its squad we’d expect an announcement soon.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/2343704/josh-kennedy-latest-to-be-linked-with-melbourne-city/?cs=10

Edited by Murfy1

Samaras.

Why?

Celtic aren't renewing his contract. Has family in Melbourne. Big greek community in Melbourne etc. Would be a smart idea to sign him as marquee imo

Take it from someone who has Celtic Shirts with Samaras on the back... we can do better with our International Marquee than Samaras.

• Like 2

ATM, Lampard is more of a hope than an expectation.

I reckon New York City would have to sign another marquee midfielder, like Xavi, for us to have a real chance of signing Lampard. And fortunately for us, Xavi has been linked multiple times with NYCFC, and it was reported a few days ago that Barca might be open to letting Xavi go, because his salary is so high (he's reportedly one of the Barca's top 4 earners, only behind Messi, Neymar & Iniesta), and his salary is contracted to increase over the remaining 2 years of his contract (and there are growing doubts about whether Xavi is still all that the superclub Barcelona requires, and whether he's worth his high pay, and Barca reportedly think it might be easier to rebuild the squad if they move a top earner like Xavi on).

Lampard might be interested in a permanent move to Australia for multiple reasons.

First of all, it's already been reported that Lampard is contemplating a move overseas, and Mark Schwarzer has said that Lampard spoke to him about Melbourne and Australia, and Schwarzer gave us a very good wrap. Also, a player Lampard's age can usually expect to be either a bit player in a top league (like the EPL), where he could maybe only play for another season, or a top player who's worshiped in a place like Australia, where he'd be a certain starter and he could maybe play for 2-3 seasons. So there's compelling football reasons for a move to a competition like the A-League, and the lifestyle probably adds to the appeal as well.

A final reason why I'm a bit hopeful that we might land Lampard is that New York City have signed Xavi's former teammate David Villa on a 3 year deal, and we have now signed Frank Lampard's former Chelsea teammate Damien Duff (who played alongside Lampard for 3 seasons, including the very successful 04-05 and 05-06 seasons) for one season. Hopefully these former teammates help motivate Xavi and Lampard a bit more to move to New York and Melbourne respectively.

Anyway, that's the dream scenario, but there are a few reasons to think that it's a dream that has a chance of becoming a reality. Either way, I'm sure Man City will sign a top class international marquee that will meet expectations and wow us at AAMI Park next season.

• Like 2

Samaras.

Why?

Celtic aren't renewing his contract. Has family in Melbourne. Big greek community in Melbourne etc. Would be a smart idea to sign him as marquee imo

Take it from someone who has Celtic Shirts with Samaras on the back... we can do better with our International Marquee than Samaras.

I honestly hope we can but is it a stupid thing to think that Samaras isn't a possibility?

Samaras is an Ozzie. So, How do Samaras stack up against other Australian marquees available to us? And does he fit into the type of style Has and City want to create?

If he's an international for a different country, surely he's not available as an Australian? Plus, he should be in the prime of his career right now. Having departed Celtic, I'd be very surprised if he didn't sign with another perennial Champions League contender, probably in one of the big leagues, to test himself. And I don't really know much about his personality, but surely even if he considered Melbourne, it would be at an international marquee salary. He's 29 and he's still got money to earn.

In all seriousness what's Joey Barton up to? I would pay high amounts of cash to see him assault bunnings chairs on the sideline.

If he came wouldn't it be great if he punched the fuck out of muscat during a derby. Haha that'd be great.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

In all seriousness what's Joey Barton up to? I would pay high amounts of cash to see him assault bunnings chairs on the sideline.

If he came wouldn't it be great if he punched the fuck out of muscat during a derby. Haha that'd be great.

Would pay big money to see that

Would pay big money to see that

He is fully bonkers, I love it.

Samaras is an Ozzie. So, How do Samaras stack up against other Australian marquees available to us? And does he fit into the type of style Has and City want to create?

If he's an international for a different country, surely he's not available as an Australian? Plus, he should be in the prime of his career right now. Having departed Celtic, I'd be very surprised if he didn't sign with another perennial Champions League contender, probably in one of the big leagues, to test himself. And I don't really know much about his personality, but surely even if he considered Melbourne, it would be at an international marquee salary. He's 29 and he's still got money to earn. he has an Australian citizenship so he can be an Aussie marquee. Terry mcflynn and Ali Abbas were visa years at sydney before they became Australian citizens.

But yours probably right that he will still wants to test himself at the highest level, but I'm sure it's something city will explore in a few years

If he's an international for a different country, surely he's not available as an Australian? Plus, he should be in the prime of his career right now. Having departed Celtic, I'd be very surprised if he didn't sign with another perennial Champions League contender, probably in one of the big leagues, to test himself. And I don't really know much about his personality, but surely even if he considered Melbourne, it would be at an international marquee salary. He's 29 and he's still got money to earn. he has an Australian citizenship so he can be an Aussie marquee. Terry mcflynn and Ali Abbas were visa years at sydney before they became Australian citizens.

But yours probably right that he will still wants to test himself at the highest level, but I'm sure it's something city will explore in a few years

Fair enough; I stand corrected. Probably worth a call then, but yeah, I can't see him accepting a move to Melbourne when he should be in his prime playing (and earning years). I imagine the opportunity for some silverware might not have the same attraction to him (compared to challenging himself at the best level he can) as it might for someone like Duff as well, since Celtic has won its last three leagues practically unopposed (won the last three by an average of over 20 points).

Fair enough; I stand corrected. Probably worth a call then, but yeah, I can't see him accepting a move to Melbourne when he should be in his prime playing (and earning years). I imagine the opportunity for some silverware might not have the same attraction to him (compared to challenging himself at the best level he can) as it might for someone like Duff as well, since Celtic has won its last three leagues practically unopposed (won the last three by an average of over 20 points).

I actually think Georgios Samaras is a pretty plausible candidate for the Australian marquee (although Kennedy is probably a bit more likely). Samaras didn't talk to any clubs as his Celtic contract was running down, as he loyally wanted to see if he could get a new contract with Celtic, but the club management wasn't forthcoming with a contract:

Samaras was free to speak to other clubs from the turn of the year, with his contract ending this summer, and he has been linked with several sides as speculation about his future mounted.

"I did not speak during the six months," he said. "There were a lot of stories in the media, I did not answer anyone, I tried to keep my mouth shut.

"I was full of respect for Celtic. I have not signed for any other club, I have not spoken to other clubs.

"I was waiting until the end to see if they made me an offer, but I think that's the end.

"I cannot lie to the people. I had a chat with the manager. He would have loved me to stay at the club.

"But me and the gaffer, we don't make the decisions - there are people above us who make the decisions and they never approached me."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27364718

So he hasn't been close to moving to many clubs. And right now there there only seems to be a link with him to Napoli, and reportedly Napoli have rejected the offer to sign him on a free transfer:

The Greek international, who will see his contract at Celtic expire at the end of this month, was offered to Napoli as a potential free transfer signing.

However, according to Sky Italia, the Coppa Italia winners have opted against snapping up the ex-Manchester City hitman.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2014/06/08/napoli-pass-on-departing-celtic-striker-georgios-samaras/144408/

And finally, when Celtic toured Melbourne in July 2011, Samaras said he'd be open to playing in Melbourne and Australia, and he said he likes Melbourne a lot:

"I have got family in Melbourne, my father was born here and I'm an Australian citizen," he told Britain's News of The World. "I have an Aussie passport.

"My parents aren't in Melbourne any more but my uncles, aunts and cousins are.

"I really don't know if I will end up playing out here or even managing a club here one day, who knows?

"There is no long-term plan. The only thing I do know is I will never go back to Greece to play. I would never rule out the possibility of playing or even managing in Australia one day."

Samaras said he enjoys being in Australia. "It feels nice for me, like a second home. I really like Melbourne a lot, it's a really good city. When I'm in Melbourne I feel relaxed and comfortable."

http://neoskosmos.com/news/en/Celtics-Samaras-hints-Melbourne-return%20

So one can't help but conclude that Samaras is a pretty real possibility, and if the club were keen on him as the Australian marquee the chances of him signing would have to be pretty decent IMO. 

Nonetheless, I still think Kennedy, and maybe McDonald, are more likely for the Australian marquee position.

Overall I'm pretty confident we'll get an impressive Australian marquee, and almost certainly a striker. However, for the life of me now I can't guess who our international marquee will be.

• Like 1

From what snippets we have heard Lampard is supposed to be willing to play in Melbourne but anxious to be able to keep in contact with his daughters and GF which makes a permanent move unlikely.. But a short stint seems possible

From what snippets we have heard Lampard is supposed to be willing to play in Melbourne but anxious to be able to keep in contact with his daughters and GF which makes a permanent move unlikely.. But a short stint seems possible

With the money we have, we can fly them over every few weeks for him for the duration of our season and put them in the best of schools for that time or take care of any needs. The season is what, 6 months? I'm sure we could work something out for him.

ATM, Lampard is more of a hope than an expectation.

I reckon New York City would have to sign another marquee midfielder, like Xavi, for us to have a real chance of signing Lampard. And fortunately for us, Xavi has been linked multiple times with NYCFC, and it was reported a few days ago that Barca might be open to letting Xavi go, because his salary is so high (he's reportedly one of the Barca's top 4 earners, only behind Messi, Neymar & Iniesta), and his salary is contracted to increase over the remaining 2 years of his contract (and there are growing doubts about whether Xavi is still all that the superclub Barcelona requires, and whether he's worth his high pay, and Barca reportedly think it might be easier to rebuild the squad if they move a top earner like Xavi on).

Lampard might be interested in a permanent move to Australia for multiple reasons.

First of all, it's already been reported that Lampard is contemplating a move overseas, and Mark Schwarzer has said that Lampard spoke to him about Melbourne and Australia, and Schwarzer gave us a very good wrap. Also, a player Lampard's age can usually expect to be either a bit player in a top league (like the EPL), where he could maybe only play for another season, or a top player who's worshiped in a place like Australia, where he'd be a certain starter and he could maybe play for 2-3 seasons. So there's compelling football reasons for a move to a competition like the A-League, and the lifestyle probably adds to the appeal as well.

A final reason why I'm a bit hopeful that we might land Lampard is that New York City have signed Xavi's former teammate David Villa on a 3 year deal, and we have now signed Frank Lampard's former Chelsea teammate Damien Duff (who played alongside Lampard for 3 seasons, including the very successful 04-05 and 05-06 seasons) for one season. Hopefully these former teammates help motivate Xavi and Lampard a bit more to move to New York and Melbourne respectively.

Anyway, that's the dream scenario, but there are a few reasons to think that it's a dream that has a chance of becoming a reality. Either way, I'm sure Man City will sign a top class international marquee that will meet expectations and wow us at AAMI Park next season.

Well, all those reasons would also apply to New York, which is also closer to the UK if family is an issue.

I´m not sure their mum would allow that.. She and Frank have separated :(

John "farther of the year" Terry have something with that? B)

Nah, that was Wayne Bridge and his GF as I recall it.. :P

Frank and John are friends still I think.