Melbourne Football

Round 18 - FFANRMAIWSWFC v MHFC - Sat Jan 26 7.45pm

Caddy

Just gotta change the kulture of our club - on and off the pitch. Gotta be desperate and hungry to win at any cost. You could see the desire in the eyes of NTP, Beauchamp, Ono, Hersi, Kresinger. They raised their game and played outa their skins. And what did we do to counter - fuck all really. We are pretty good when things go our way but lack the balls when the opposition gets into our faces. At least Fred runs his arse off for the team. Tonight also showed that JA has a long way to go to be a good coach but Popovic is already there. Maybe a Socceroos coach one day.

Melbourne Heart FC@MelbourneHeart

96' CAUTION | Babalj goes into the book for delaying the restart#AustraliaDay #goheart #WSWvMH

WTF??? Why would he want to delay the restart? I'm pretty sure the ref pointed at his head when he gave the yellow card - I think he got Babalj confused with Tadic and so the yellow was intended for Tadic.

Booked for diving in on Beauchamp after Covic saved.

Take Hoffman off for Mitchinson, Kalmar off and bring Grella on, moving Germano to AM,

- This

Then Tadic off for Babalj at around 70 - The pair had never trained or played together, and the team had never even practiced the formation at training. You just can't chuck them on together, pull a new untried formation out of your ass and hope it works, not when the game is worth 3 championship points! And not when you're being run off the park away from home with a man advantage!

- And this

I have no doubts that JVS would have us in the top 4 if he was still around, comfortably.

- And this

This!

questions must be asked of Aloisi.

earlier in the week i remember reading on the forums that Hoffman would be playing LB.

i thought, hahaha... as if.

and you could imagine the look i had on my face when i saw him named at LB.

i mean, WTF is going on? hes horrific even at his most suited position.

• Like 1

What's everyone complaining about? Seeing we played nearly the whole game with 10 against 11, it wasn't such a bad performance being dominated in general play and only losing by a single goal. What? You're trying to tell me that we had 11 while the Wanderers had only 10 players for nearly the whole game? That's got to be impossible. They completely dominated us. We had to have the 10. I mean, we're playing against another team in the same League as us. It's not as if we're playing with our 11 against Manchester United's 10. So it's not possible that with 11 players against the Wanderers' 10 to not only lose but also be COMPLETELY DOMINATED all over the pitch. No Manager would let that happen. Every Manager would make a stand and replace someone in the first half if the 10 were running rings around the 11. So I can't believe we had 11 against their 10. Impossible. Absolutely impossible. We must have had the 10 players. The Wanderers had 11 players.

Once I saw Hoff selected as LB I groaned. Once WSW had a player sent off so early I knew that we would lose. No intensity, no urgency, no fight, no midfield possession. We should just concede every away game, save the travel time and costs and use the time productively in an extra training session. Positives were the long awaited appearance of Vinnie Grella and Eli Babalj. I streamed the game from London, despite it being so cold outside, I couldn't wait for the game to finish so that I could go out.

Hoffman doesn't deserve the abuse he gets to be honest. The bloke has been given a go in every position but his proper one and always tries hard regardless. Now the coaches and JVS is included in this, who pick him to play in these position like midfield and full back are the ones that questions need to be asked of. Couldn't believe my eyes when I went to training and saw it during the week.

I couldn't watch the game last night and am probably thankful going by everybody's comments.

There doesn't appear to be any other tactical changes that JA and Foxe are capable of once we start getting out played. No change in formations, positions....nothing..

It is inexperience but it is such a reactive system and other focused. Works well sometimes and against some teams but WSW are the best coached team in the league.

We are all on a roller coaster following this football club..

If there's one piece of my mind I want to hand out at the meeting this week, it's how fucking gutless our "brand" of football is. Don't care so much about the size of my chosen club's trophy cabinet or the number of fans or marquee players, but that team is a mob of cowardly pricks. Who the fuck ever heard of a team a man up playing static hoofball in possession?

Thats what it comes down to. Why we steal defeat from the jaws of victory so often. Why we throw in the towel after missing a penalty. Why we make shit like Kresinger and Bridge look EPL class. Its a lack of guts and pride in the shirt. Something WSW have and we don't. As shit as Kresinger is, the guy goes out there and gives everything he has. And the fans sing out Dino! Dino! Heart show some fucking Heart.

Worst tactical performance I have ever witnessed. Players attitude was deplorable also, but JA needs his fucking head read.

I woke up so pissed off. Sitting here at a family get together coping shite off Victory tossers. I'm embarrassed today. That was the most insipid display from our club ever.

I agree, Hoffman cops it too much, playing him left back should have JA dragged by his nuts to a board meeting asking him to please explain.

What the fuck is this Ron Smith doing for us? Meant to be some tactical guru. My ass! Fuck him off and spend money on a full time experienced manager to oversee these matters so mistakes won't be made. This will be my request at the fan forum. We are tactically flawed.

they have this week to make it up. I am hearing to much talk on twitter from the players. It's crap. Shut the hell up and walk the walk. Talk is cheap and means nothing.

• Like 5

fuck me we have the most passionless bunch of cunce playing football for us

You seriously think it's the players?

It's the coaching. It always starts at the top.

Its both.

Half the squad is not good enough.

The coach needs to learn a lot more.

Roff, the squad is far from shit. It's probably the 2nd or 3rd best list on paper in the league.

But this club can't but help itself from tripping over it's shoelaces week after week.

It all comes down to the way you present yourself and set up on game day. And that has been poor this season, really poor. Unbelievable how we reacted when we had the extra man. If you had tuned in just for the second half you'd have thought we were the one with 10 men...

We have seen it all season, for the game against Wellington in round two and in every game since except for the 2-0 and 4-1 win over Adelaide and Brisbane.

Just skimming through this thread and am surprised at the lack of Tadic-bashing. Terrible penalty. Would have changed everything if he scored that. Babalj in next week to teach Jos a lesson. Was pretty woeful all round tonight but you can tell him & Eli could work together IMO.

I've mentioned it a few times. Hey literally lost us the extra man advantage, and should have taken at least one of his 3 chances. Should have been a straight swap for Tadic-Balalj, as he was completely out of it and when a striker is doing that badly he has to be dragged. Aloisi of all people should be able to relate to that... Babalj showed more in 20 mins than Tadic did the entire game, thats after coming from a 10 hour time difference, on a 24 journey home, with a detour via Perth and less than 6 hours sleep. Always loved that passion and hunger he has, I'll never forget that goal he scored against CCM off the bench, when we were 2-0 down. Him and Behich epitomise and embody everything this club SHOULD stand for!

Babalj in, Tadic to the bench.

Edited by LR9
  • Like 2

Babalj is the only positive out of this match, brilliant the few times he got a touch. His come back on another level, as was evident when he got a socceroos cap, guess pim was right about training in Europe being better than playing in A-League.

Reading through all the comments, i think i was lucky to miss the game, seems like we were fucking shit house.

Been a lot of talk about eli and i see he went well, but how did grella go when he got on? Obviously this was his first game for a year or so, so it would be good to hear if he went well.

I also propose we change our name to melbourne striptease. One match, where looking to goods and everyone wants a piece of us, the next match, we're that fat chick grinding up the pole that everyone laughs at

Only thing worse than our performance was Aloisi's comments after the match. How can you expect the side to show passion when John clearly doesn't give a fuck about the way we perform.

He had the chance post match to send a message to the fans that the club would not tolerate those types of performances.

• Like 2

Only thing worse than our performance was Aloisi's comments after the match. How can you expect the side to show passion when John clearly doesn't give a fuck about the way we perform.

He had the chance post match to send a message to the fans that the club would not tolerate those types of performances.

+1

i was also disappointed with the post match comments. Pretty much blamed everything on the players instead of admitting that the coaching staff were also at fault.

Just think the 4-3-3 was made to look like an ultra defensive system because of our inability to press higher up the park. The work rate was simply not there all night and I can't believe how badly we miss Fred and his desire to press the ball. No-one else seemed prepared to do so.

I read recently an interview with Matt Thompson where he said they'd changed formation from one defensive midfielder last year to two thi year - we played like that all night - two defensive midfielders marking space in front of the back four - and you know what - wsw never sent midfielders into that space - so we had two players not impacting the game in anyway - and we let it drift on and on and on.

Aloisi needed to actually switch formations with ten minutes to go in the first half when we were being overrun. His failure to do so is truly disappointing.

Totally agree. This has been happening all year, but Fred's work rate can sometimes mask the severe limitations of Aloisi's system. And Kalmar is no replacement for Fred when it comes to stamina and work rate.

Against 10 men last night, it was amazing how much pressure we were under all over the park when we had the ball. And how little pressure we we're able to place them under. Absolutely incredible.

The frustrating things for me are:

- Aloisi's inability to change anything during the course of a game,

- That after two thirds of the season, he still has blind faith in the formation that has continually made us look rubbish,

- He seems to blame the players when it doesn't work.

2 holding midfielders is preventing us from being blown out of the water by 2, 3 or 4 goal losses, but it rarely gives us the opportunity to win games. It makes us look defensive, slow, and impotent. It's why whenever we play away, but also at home sometimes, we never look as though we're trying to win games. We look like we're trying to not lose and hopefully pinch a goal on the counter. It's why we so often get pinned back. It's really really disappointing, and not the way this club should be playing. I can't put into words how frustrating it is.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 4

What the fuck is this Ron Smith doing for us? Meant to be some tactical guru. My ass! Fuck him off and spend money on a full time experienced manager to oversee these matters so mistakes won't be made.

I'm wondering the same thing. Aloisi, Foxe, & Smith. I doubt we got any of these appointments right.

Hoffman doesn't deserve the abuse he gets to be honest. The bloke has been given a go in every position but his proper one and always tries hard regardless. Now the coaches and JVS is included in this, who pick him to play in these position like midfield and full back are the ones that questions need to be asked of. Couldn't believe my eyes when I went to training and saw it during the week.

I couldn't watch the game last night and am probably thankful going by everybody's comments.

There doesn't appear to be any other tactical changes that JA and Foxe are capable of once we start getting out played. No change in formations, positions....nothing..

It is inexperience but it is such a reactive system and other focused. Works well sometimes and against some teams but WSW are the best coached team in the league.

The problem is not with Hoffman as a person, never met him but I'm sure that he's a nice guy, its not about his effort, he tries hard, he just isn't an adequate contributor at tis level, in this team at any rate.

Just think the 4-3-3 was made to look like an ultra defensive system because of our inability to press higher up the park. The work rate was simply not there all night and I can't believe how badly we miss Fred and his desire to press the ball. No-one else seemed prepared to do so.

I read recently an interview with Matt Thompson where he said they'd changed formation from one defensive midfielder last year to two thi year - we played like that all night - two defensive midfielders marking space in front of the back four - and you know what - wsw never sent midfielders into that space - so we had two players not impacting the game in anyway - and we let it drift on and on and on.

Aloisi needed to actually switch formations with ten minutes to go in the first half when we were being overrun. His failure to do so is truly disappointing.

Totally agree. This has been happening all year, but Fred's work rate can sometimes mask the severe limitations of Aloisi's system. And Kalmar is no replacement for Fred when it comes to stamina and work rate.

Against 10 men last night, it was amazing how much pressure we were under all over the park when we had the ball. And how little pressure we we're able to place them under. Absolutely incredible.

The frustrating things for me are:

- Aloisi's inability to change anything during the course of a game,

- That after two thirds of the season, he still has blind faith in the formation that has continually made us look rubbish,

- He seems to blame the players when it doesn't work.

2 holding midfielders is preventing us from being blown out of the water by 2, 3 or 4 goal losses, but it rarely gives us the opportunity to win games. It makes us look defensive, slow, and impotent. It's why whenever we play away, but also at home sometimes, we never look as though we're trying to win games. We look like we're trying to not lose and hopefully pinch a goal on the counter. It's why we so often get pinned back. It's really really disappointing, and not the way this club should be playing. I can't put into words how frustrating it is.

Sash we need 2 defensive midfielders to screen the back 4 as our two FBs get forward a lot as they are supposed to, so does one of our CBs (who is really a midfielder by inclination) and as a whole then the back four don't provide adequate screening without support. What this does though is often (more than not) allow opponents to overload our midfield at transition. How often does a midfielder recieve the ball and then almost immediately lose it again as there are no passing options? Even when 1 man down WSW were able to overload our midfield! It was really obvious yesterday that WSW could press our playwr in possession with 3 players, he'd get no support and lose possession time after time.

The problem is not with Hoffman as a person, never met him but I'm sure that he's a nice guy, its not about his effort, he tries hard, he just isn't an adequate contributor at tis level, in this team at any rate.

The guy is a striker FFS. Has never pretended to be anything else. 24 appearances for under-age national teams for 11 goals. He must do something right. I'll never understand why we try to play him in other positions. No need to sign Macallister while we had Hoff - they're the same type of player.

fuck me we have the most passionless bunch of cunce playing football for us

You seriously think it's the players?

It's the coaching. It always starts at the top.

Its both.

Half the squad is not good enough.

The coach needs to learn a lot more.

Roff, the squad is far from shit. It's probably the 2nd or 3rd best list on paper in the league.

Really?

Who in the top 4 teams would have :

Redmayne or Bolton as their first team keeper?

Hoffman? Colosimo? Vrankovic? Kalmar? The kid at RB? Thompson? Injury prone Fred? Wiiliams (50-50 on him TBH)

The "keepers" are Behich, Gerhadt, Germano, Tadic (despite his penalty miss, the guy is class and has had to deal with scraps), and Garcia, but by Christ he looked glacially slow).

Grella layed off a few first time passes and tried some long balls but his range was out. He also showed he won't be fucked with by anyone, a real enforcer and leader.

Its easy to pin it all on the coach, but we have too many players who are just not first team material.

• Like 1

As far as I see it and I'm pretty sure most would agree, Hoffman is shit and we're better when he's not on the field.

He's been tried in pretty much every position now and has failed in each on of them (in my opinion). Unlike Grant from Sydney who's actually performed well in every position played, Hoffman just doesn't cut it.

Maybe this was Aloisi giving Hoffman one last chance. Maybe he thought he try something new and hope he pulls off a miracle. As far as I see it, they both failed. Hoffman was woeful as a left-back and Aloisi was woeful because he left him there ALL game!

With Grella fit (hopefully he pulled up okay) we don't need Hoffman in our midfield and with Behich back next week we don't need him at left back and with Babalj back we don't need him in our forward line. Fred will be very hard to replace. Kalmar is no replacement either.

One thing is for sure, Hoffman will be missing from the Derby, thank God. The other is, if Aloisi doesn't start taking some responsibility, accountability for his team and show some conviction, I don't know if I want to renew my membership next year...especially if Hoffman keeps starting!!!

i think once again people are letting their previous opinions of hoffman blind them.

the poor guy tried his heart (*ahem*) out again last week and tbh he was not as woeful as some of the older guys who we should normally expect to perform when the chips are down. for someone who has probably never played left back before, i thought he did okay.

@ kiro if it helps to put it in perspective, (admittedly the rest of their squad is pretty good) duke won the game for mariners on friday night and he's only a young lad. likewise nick fitzgerald was decent - it's just as much about the way they are being coached as to how good their talent is.

Ron Smith is supposed to be doing video analysis of our games...

He is either:

- not doing it; or

- is doing it but doesn't see what's happening; or

- sees what's happening but doesn't tell Aloisi; or

- or tells Aloisi but Aloisi ignores what he's being told.

-or hes got no clue.