Melbourne Football

Round 18 - FFANRMAIWSWFC v MHFC - Sat Jan 26 7.45pm

Caddy

If there's one piece of my mind I want to hand out at the meeting this week, it's how fucking gutless our "brand" of football is. Don't care so much about the size of my chosen club's trophy cabinet or the number of fans or marquee players, but that team is a mob of cowardly pricks. Who the fuck ever heard of a team a man up playing static hoofball in possession?

• Like 2

I am so sick of this shit. Sorry, but this is just as much the fault of some of the shit players we have in this squad as it is John Aloisi. I mean his coaching mistakes are obvious. If John Van't Schipp had to prepare for a game like this he would have played a 3-3-1-3 like he did last year when we were out of defenders, but he sure as hell wouldn't have started Hoffman at left back! I could actually see a plan with JVS and we played 'something' at all times.

Today was just pathetic, you can tell that the team lacks any kind of preparation going into these fixtures. The commentator said that we had started to have a good run as of late with the win over the roar and the reds, but those are two games out of a whole season, when we haven't even had an away win in a year. Gonna be hard to get pumped for the Derby...

Would've been nice to have Milicic as head coach and Aloisi as assistant.

Edited by benzema23
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if we catch planes to sydney or drive that bus? I know to the away CCM game we drove the bus. If we drive to all away games to sydney id say that has a pretty big impact. Although that doesnt explain the brisbane, perth or the wellington away games. Unless the club is so poor they get there late the day before then play the next day which would have a huge impact.

WSW simply wanted it more today.

We are consistent. It is not good enough.

Last week we bossed Adelaide. This week it was back to how we played Sydney, Wellington...

Perhaps we need an away coach and keep JA for home games only. JA might have had a half time spray but the problem is in the system we are deploying and the lack of ticker from our players.

Now on to next week.

What gets me the most is the half time comments which were just be better. I suspect we have 1 plan and if we can't pull that off we have donuts. Last week against Adelaide it worked against a tactically inept coach. Against a very sound and organised team like WSW we are made to look second rate and have no ability to change a thing.

Whilst I admire a coach toiling with his system and believe Aloisi should be given time I also feel Aloisi needs a senior assistant to help him out. Out thought tonight.

Last thing I'd like to address is no Fred no Heart. He has been bad this year but he still has a work rate much higher than any other player in our team.

• Like 1

Totally agree that Germano needs to play RB, he played full back last year at some point and did a good job (he actually knows how to tackle). Babalj and Grella don't necessarily need to start and we still don't know how fit they are, but when they came on you could tell that they meant business...

A number of things to take out of tonight's game

1. Vrankovic can play 1st team football but isn't ready yet. Def had the potential but seemed to be 3 seconds behind everyone else, this really gave them a few chances where they shouldn't have been there.

2. We can only score on the counter attack, when we have possession we don't seem dangerous, but when wsw had it in their half I was biting my nails

3. What an immediate impact Eli and grella had. I feel as soon as they came on we looked a lot more composed than usual. My above point about only scoring on the counter attack was not true when these two came on.

Will be exiting to watch grella and Eli really gel with the team in the next few weeks.

At the start of the game I would of taken a draw or even a 1 nil lose tbh

TBH I don't really care any more whether it's the coaches or the players or both or neither. I'm just fed up with the same performance being repeated over and over again. There may be some technically good players in there, and JA may turn out to be a good coach in the end, but the chemistry isn't right and overall we have a poor team.

Once more after a good home result in front of a reasonable crowd we've shot ourselves in the foot. So happy together? Forget it please. Not the right time.

• Like 1

Worst performance ever!!! Embarrassing to play so poorly.

Hoffman has had his chance and we couldn't get the best out of him, his gotta go, I'm sure another coach may resurrect his career, but we have failed to. Thompson, Kalmar, Germano average also.

Williams was a star, note how he played far deep in Hofmans pocket, shows to me that he had no confidence in him., Vrankovic made a few errors and paid a silly penalty for one, but he also kept keisenger at bay, and Gerhardt And redders saved us from further embarrassment.

Can't believe Aloisi and Fox couldn't tactically change the game half time. Embarrassing.

I think with myself still at Heart we would've played much better. I mean, I am a better player than Thommo, won't stuff around and I'd get a pass off quick.

I agree you were hard done by Christian 7,8,9 Sarkies.

The way the club dumped half our squad from last season and changed the coaching line-up 100% in the name of promoting from within has cost us dearly this season. We are so disjointed.

Mind you Redders did very well.

ps I know I have moved onto next week.

Edited by Peter

Just think the 4-3-3 was made to look like an ultra defensive system because of our inability to press higher up the park. The work rate was simply not there all night and I can't believe how badly we miss Fred and his desire to press the ball. No-one else seemed prepared to do so.

I read recently an interview with Matt Thompson where he said they'd changed formation from one defensive midfielder last year to two thi year - we played like that all night - two defensive midfielders marking space in front of the back four - and you know what - wsw never sent midfielders into that space - so we had two players not impacting the game in anyway - and we let it drift on and on and on.

Aloisi needed to actually switch formations with ten minutes to go in the first half when we were being overrun. His failure to do so is truly disappointing.

Losing is part of the sport but to have lost when outplayed everywhere against a side down to ten men after ten minutes is astounding.

Strangely our best spell of the game may well have been when it was 11 v 11 - and if I am right it is an indictment.

• Like 1

agree that our best spell of the game was when we were 11 v 11

In regards to the last chance of the game, thought Tadic was a little slow to react and also went in a bit soft. IMO should've gone in and just slammed his foot through the ball. Literally needed to smash covic's head and the ball in the back of the net

Would that have counted as two goals?

Edited by alexandro

The fish rots from the head...

Aloisi is clearly tactically inept, I've always thought he was a stupid bloke, decent footballer but a shit problem solver and innovator.

If I was in his shoes, I wouldn't have started Hoff (obviously), but even if I did, he would have been dragged at 30.

He brought Grella on way too late! We had completely lost control of the match at this stage. He should have been brought about 5-10 minutes in to the half, after nothing had changed at the break. He took off our best mid in Germano to bring him on too.

Kalmar stayed on way to long, and as I posted a couple of days ago, we would get buttf*cked with him at number 10. Tadic had poor movement (and a lack of service mind you) I don't think he should have played the full 90, coz he was so quite and really lost us that extra man advantage.

We were in need of something to steady the ship sooner, needed some conviction, some presence, calmness in possession and we needed much quicker movement to run their 10 men off their feet.

He could have done any of the following which would have worked better IMO:

Take Hoffman off, bring Grella on and move Thompson to LB,

Take Hoffman off for Mitchinson, Walker off and bring Grella on, moving Germano to RB,

Take Hoffman off for Mitchinson, Kalmar off and bring Grella on, moving Germano to AM,

Then Tadic off for Babalj at around 70 - The pair had never trained or played together, and the team had never even practiced the formation at training. You just can't chuck them on together, pull a new untried formation out of your ass and hope it works, not when the game is worth 3 championship points! And not when you're being run off the park away from home with a man advantage!

Aloisi, sort your shit out. MHFC, if he is going to be your savior, offer him the support and resources he needs to excel, rather than throwing away a season and the best squad we have ever assembled, just so JA can 'learn'...

I have no doubts that JVS would have us in the top 4 if he was still around, comfortably.

Edit: Just an observation, but we really missed Colosimo, it's obvious in games that we build up through him, and he has been really solid since his early season fuck-ups. Anyone know what was wrong with him?

Edited by LR9
  • Like 2

the club has obviously chosen aloisi for certain marketing reasons, but what was even more stupid was to appoint the delivery boy as his assistant. If you're going to have a rookie first team coach, it's only logical to appoint an experienced coach as assistant, someone like Miron Bleiberg, or even an experienced coach from abroad would've been fine.

What's the point of playing 4 at the back against 10 men? We're getting hammered in the midfield, surely it makes sense to push and extra man up to take control in the middle?

I think we'll make finals this season, but we'll forever be a mid table team if we continue like this. Not good enough for a club who needs to grow its crowds.

EDIT: scott munn tweeted that colosimo was "injured and unavailable"

didn't say when he would be back though, hopefully just a niggle

Edited by heart_fan10

Take Hoffman off for Mitchinson, Kalmar off and bring Grella on, moving Germano to AM,

- This

Then Tadic off for Babalj at around 70 - The pair had never trained or played together, and the team had never even practiced the formation at training. You just can't chuck them on together, pull a new untried formation out of your ass and hope it works, not when the game is worth 3 championship points! And not when you're being run off the park away from home with a man advantage!

- And this

I have no doubts that JVS would have us in the top 4 if he was still around, comfortably.

- And this

Melbourne Heart FC@MelbourneHeart

96' CAUTION | Babalj goes into the book for delaying the restart#AustraliaDay #goheart #WSWvMH

WTF??? Why would he want to delay the restart? I'm pretty sure the ref pointed at his head when he gave the yellow card - I think he got Babalj confused with Tadic and so the yellow was intended for Tadic.