Melbourne Football

January transfer window

heart_fan10

We're heading into the new year sitting dead last on the ladder, there's a free spot on our roster and we have dugandzic out for the season with injury as well as a guest stint option available.

We don't have any visa spots left, however with the display from gray against wellington, i'm sure him and the club could come to a mutual agreement to terminate his contract, making way for another player.

IMO we need to do something to turn our season around and make finals before it's too late. Other teams will be adding to their squad, so i don't see why we wouldn't

Season is over, no point wasting money to finish 7th or 8th. Better off allowing the likes of Fred, Thompson, Hoffman, Colosimo, etc the opportunity to move clubs and focus on getting Walker, Mitchinson, Vrankovic, etc in the first XI on a regular basis and get some of the kids signed on full time contracts for next season.

Pretty sure if Gray is released his wage is still counted within the salary cap.

I don't think that's the point, even if it's true. Once the contract is terminated a (visa) place becomes available on the player list. And we can surely use that place to better advantage? With the current economic situation in many countries I'm certain we could find suitable players. It's a matter of getting off our backsides and trying - and looking somewhere other than eastern Europe.

When you're bottom of the ladder and looking like a rabble it's time for some changes. More of the same will simply produce more of the same.

By my calculations, in 2012 we have won only five out of 28 A-League matches, only one away from AAMI Park (and only four there), none outside Melbourne, and scored just 27 goals in the process. That's an appalling record, achieved(?) under two completely different coaching teams and with two very different squads of players.

• Like 1

Pretty sure if Gray is released his wage is still counted within the salary cap.

I don't think that's the point, even if it's true. Once the contract is terminated a (visa) place becomes available on the player list. And we can surely use that place to better advantage? With the current economic situation in many countries I'm certain we could find suitable players. It's a matter of getting off our backsides and trying - and looking somewhere other than eastern Europe.

When you're bottom of the ladder and looking like a rabble it's time for some changes. More of the same will simply produce more of the same.

By my calculations, in 2012 we have won only five out of 28 A-League matches, only one away from AAMI Park (and only four there), none outside Melbourne, and scored just 27 goals in the process. That's an appalling record, achieved(?) under two completely different coaching teams and with two very different squads of players.

Well said! Changes need to happen.

Need an impact international player that can get the crowd off their seats.

Get rid of Grey. Leak the possibility of our old boys can be available.

Play the kids. Give us hope for next season.

I would hope the club is looking at the January transfer window to affect some positive squad change. If our comp had relegation maybe they would take things a bit more seriously.

We should be targeting any up and coming young Aussies midfielders overseas who are not getting much game time (look at how good Mooy has been for WSW). Perhaps Cameron Edwards will fit this bill. SG should be released and we should spend some good money on a second division Bundesliga defender.

JD does have the ability to recruit well when you look at Josip and PG.

Going forward, Fred should be used as an impact sub where he will provide great benefit to the team and Vrankovic should be played as one of our starting centre backs.

Our players are some of the best. It's our coaching staff that need an overhaul

I don't agree, tactically we have a good coach, he has made mistakes like every other coach. We have a mentality problem, there's no resilience in the playing group, they play like Barca when everything is going well, but crumble as soon as something goes wrong. We need to recruit a backroom sports psychologist as much as we need a CB. We can have the best coach in the world with the best game plan and a bench full of perfect subs but if the players believe that they are only 1 kick away from certain defeat then nothing will change. It's not even a problem with each individual player, it's about how they think as a group.

• Like 3

JD does have the ability to recruit well when you look at Josip and PG.

Exactly.

The players he has managed to bring in for this season have been quality.

Tadic, Garcia and Gerhardt have more than shown their worth.

Macallister is capable, just not when Tadic is also on the pitch.

Gol Gol has already justified his spot on the list, and Vrankovic and Garruccio both look very promising.

Redmayne is the only unknown due to not getting a chance, and Gray was Aloisi's first signing and surely in contention for the worst signing of the season.

Currently training with Man Utd aswell.

HAHAHAHAHA

But since October he has maintained his fitness by training with United, where he won five English Premier League titles and a UEFA Champions League crown in a nine-season spell.

?????

I know he played for Manchester United.

Just finding it funny because that club just cannot move on... regardless if he isn't on the books.

Currently training with Man Utd aswell.

HAHAHAHAHA

But since October he has maintained his fitness by training with United, where he won five English Premier League titles and a UEFA Champions League crown in a nine-season spell.

?????

I know he played for Manchester United.

Just finding it funny because that club just cannot move on... regardless if he isn't on the books.

Or we simply respect our players? Considering Drogba still trains with you, you can't really talk.