Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart v Melbourne Victory 22/12/2012

Tony999

Went to training today. Only stayed for about fourty minutes but by the looks of things our Starting XI for the derby will be:

--------------------Tadic--------------------

Williams---------Fred ©---------Garcia

--------Thompson-----Germano--------

Behich--Colosimo-Gerhardt--Marrone

-------------------Bolton-------------------

EDIT - Not sure who will be more defensive minded out of Thompson & Germano. Seemed to be taking it in turns so I'm guessing they'll both sort of 'hold'.

Didn't see Kalmar there so not sure if he'll be on the bench this weekend. Although he could have been there, I just didn't spot him as there was about 30+ players at training today.

Guessing the bench will be D-Mac, Golgol, Redders & Vrankovic/Hoffman.

Edited by MaliMate
  • Like 3

Went to training today. Only stayed for about fourty minutes but by the looks of things our Starting XI for the derby will be:

Glad they're thinking of starting Germano. Was Grella there?

Glad they're thinking of starting Germano. Was Grella there?

Didn't see him, could have possible been training with the youth who were out of my eyesight but not sure.

brilliant news. Our squad this weekend will probably be our strongest so far this season. If only Grella was in there instead of thompson we would've been at our very best.

We have pretty good facilities down at Monash HC, I just wish our college/university sports were as well supported here as in the US.

Our ice baths are better than Heart's too.

I think La Trobe has pretty good facilities such as gym and pools etc (maybe not ice baths), but because it's such a big campus, the fields where they train are pretty remote. Out there, it's very basic club rooms and nothing else. So if they want ice baths immediately after training, it's in the bin. But at other times, I'm pretty sure they use the University's other facilities, which are probably decent.

EDIT - Not sure who will be more defensive minded out of Thompson & Germano. Seemed to be taking it in turns so I'm guessing they'll both sort of 'hold'.

Didn't see Kalmar there so not sure if he'll be on the bench this weekend. Although he could have been there, I just didn't spot him as there was about 30+ players at training today.

I thought Colosimo wasn't playing??? Can kiss a win goodbye if he does!

I thought Colosimo wasn't playing??? Can kiss a win goodbye if he does!

Tbf he was good last week.

Edited by Jimmy

To be fair we must start Germano. Our midfield has been slaughtered in the last three weeks, even in the win over Perth. Looking back on the season so far it's amazing we've not shipped far more goals than we have. The stats for how long the ball has been in our forward half has been ordinary for a while. Our defence has been under enormous pressure due to basically conceding the midfield. Fred needs to step up now, and Germano will provide more surety on the ball and reliable passing. It's worth a punt on his fitness and if we can get his quality for half a game it will help stem the tide. A full game with our regular DMs given we're coming up against a possession based team really concerns me. Tadic can star if he gets quality service.

To be fair we must start Germano. Our midfield has been slaughtered in the last three weeks, even in the win over Perth. Looking back on the season so far it's amazing we've not shipped far more goals than we have. The stats for how long the ball has been in our forward half has been ordinary for a while. Our defence has been under enormous pressure due to basically conceding the midfield. Fred needs to step up now, and Germano will provide more surety on the ball and reliable passing. It's worth a punt on his fitness and if we can get his quality for half a game it will help stem the tide. A full game with our regular DMs given we're coming up against a possession based team really concerns me. Tadic can star if he gets quality service.

Our midfield have been badly positioned in combination with poor movement during transition results in our midield constantly being outnumbered.

From what I've seen, Victory's main avenue of attack is Rojas and Thompson/Nabbout on the wings. While one breaks out wide, the other will cut in for the cross - like the goal they scored against us in round 1. Flores seems to play as a false 9, moving up and basically giving them an extra player in the midfield. So I think the defensive work of Marrone and Behich might be one of the most important things we need to look for. The young Brisbane player, Hingert did a great job last week minding Rojas, and really helped to keep them in the game.

I'm not sure how we're going to get control of the midfield if they're using Milligan, Celeski?, Finkler, and then Flores working in there as well. But if we can get enough balls into the box, I suppose we're always a chance to score given their defence is their real weakness.

This has happned to me before and am not sure the case, do I have the right to stand in front of a seat and not let others crowd into my space in front of that seat. It gets frustrating, because I cant see at all sometimes. Also with the march, am underage so cant go in, does anyone know what time it will leave from the impy? cheers

Not sure we can pull this one off. Rojas, Thompson, Nabbout, Flores.. theres some speed and skill there.. and we have simmers trying to stop em.. hope he gets a red and we play with 10. Probably have a better chance.

If Victory dont win this one and they look like the dumbest knts.

Btw does anyone know if we've gone into a game favorites in the history of the melb derby...??

I dont think we have...

If you feel like going on the Herald Sun website, you can vote for who you're supporting this weekend.

The thing is, even though there haven't been many votes, we were neck and neck with Victory a bit earlier. But I've noticed a sudden surge in support for them, so it looks like they're getting organised. I went on the MV net site and someone posted a link with "jeeez can we please hijack this poll!?!?" about an hour ago.

I know it's bullshit and whatever, but if you haven't voted, feel free to in the link below.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-defender-jonatan-germano-fit-for-a-league-derby/story-e6frfg8x-1226540705615

Anyway, back to discussing the game or whatever . . .