Melbourne Football

Round 8 - Melbourne FC vs Newcastle Jets - 5:30 Saturday 24/11/12 AAMI Park

Hammerhead

Totally agree with you Sash.

There's a lady at my work, she's not really into soccer but on Mondays she usually asks me how Heart did on the weekend. This season mostly I have to tell her we've lost, or had a disappointing draw.

Earlier this week I said to her, you should come to the Newcastle game, good time, nice weather etc.

She said, nah I don't think so, why would I want to watch a losing team?

Just one person, but I really think this is the number one thing that determines attendances.

At least for the last two home games we have scored lots of goals, so noone could say its not entertaining,

But that disappointing atmosphere after not winning a game would probably prevent some people from coming back.

I've brought my niece to 3 games this year - Victory, Brisbane & Jets. She's seen 9 goals and absolutely loves it! She's so keen to come to games, it's unbelievable. We just need these performances more often.

It's quite simple.

JA has proved he is out of his depth and his high pants mate Foxe can't help him solve the problem because between them they have coached a combined total of 8 senior competitive matches!!!

How is it possible that a club like us who struggle so much to attract fans decided this was a way to promote and develop Melbourne Heart?????????

They will close the doors soon if strong action is not taken.

Forget Beckham and spend 1.8 million or whatever it is getting a good overseas coach, a centre back and some marketing..

I can't even write about the game I am so deflated..

I will say though, the players can't run out a full 90 mins at a high tempo because they don't seem fit enough.. It is a pattern every week.

I only saw the game from just after we scored and till the end of the first half. At 2-0 up I thought we show-ponied a bit and i was thinking we could end up losing this.

I thought the delivery to Tadic was poor, especially from Behich and Marrone. Tadic and Garcia are class players, easy to see they both have palyed at a higher level.

I know Behich is fan fabourite and now a Soccceroo but I see a lot of deficiencies in his game: he really isn't that quick, easily brushed off the ball, his idea of taking on his man is to run straight at him and fall over and he is not a clean striker of the ball. Wished we kept Goodwin.

Marrone tries to go around 6 opponents before either losing it or hitting a cross to no-one.

Fred and Thompson just dwell on the ball far too long. Thompson has always done this, but luckily now he's playing ,midfield he doesn't cost us a goal every time he loses the ball. I was calling Fred every name under the sun for his complacency on the ball whenhe had genuine goal-scoring opportunities. I hope the club realises he is past it- yes he's coming back from injuries but he is ALWAYS doing that. The guy we really miss in midfield is Germano, not that JA would bench Thompson even if Germano was fit.

I was actually not disappointed when Dugandzic became unavailable as I've been wanting Williams to repalce him anyway, which wouldn't have happened any other way as Dugandzic is another one of the "untouchables". Williams dead ball strikes are faster and flatter, and he's quicker.

The defense? What more can we say that hasdn't been said? If the club has money to throw at Beckham they could have saved about 85% of it by spending some of it on Madaschi and we could have been a threat in the finals last season and this season, a far better long term plan to grow the club than a 10-game guest stint.

Overall, what I see is a club run by an administration with a culture that lacks ambition, lacks leadership, and a competitive spirit. This culture of negativity permeates all the way to the players on the pitch. The FFA willl make sure the club doesn't fold-it won't give up 100,000 ticket sales from the derbies-but I think we're headed for some tough times on and off the pitch.

• Like 1

Colosimo does it again. Gives away a penalty with a few minutes left and Newcastle equalise with their third goal. A week ago he makes a shit pass which is intercepted and a goal is scored. Remember our first home game. Handall Colosimo - Wellington score and we play with 10? Heart will do absolutely nothing while Colosimo is in the starting 11 or on the bench. John van Schip stopped playing Colosimo. I am getting completely pissed off watching an underperforming player being selected week after week after week. As one of Heart's highest paid players PLUS worst performing players, Heart should be shopping Colosimo around aiming to clear him in the January transfer window in my opinion. Remember Beauchamp, who John van Schip also stopped playing? Last night for West Sydney Beauchamp scored an own goal and also made a shocking pass that immediately resulted in Victory's second goal. John van Schip knew what he was doing. How about Aoisi doing the same?

Colosimo does it again. Gives away a penalty with a few minutes left and Newcastle equalise with their third goal. A week ago he makes a shit pass which is intercepted and a goal is scored. Remember our first home game. Handall Colosimo - Wellington score and we play with 10? Heart will do absolutely nothing while Colosimo is in the starting 11 or on the bench. John van Schip stopped playing Colosimo. I am getting completely pissed off watching an underperforming player being selected week after week after week. As one of Heart's highest paid players PLUS worst performing players, Heart should be shopping Colosimo around aiming to clear him in the January transfer window in my opinion. Remember Beauchamp, who John van Schip also stopped playing? Last night for West Sydney Beauchamp scored an own goal and also made a shocking pass that immediately resulted in Victory's second goal. John van Schip knew what he was doing. How about Aoisi doing the same?

Was actually thompson who gives away the penalty. Collosimo actually landed a legitimate tackle and then Thompson came barging through. In fact Collosimo played really well against Hesky. Hesky was Collosimo's man all game and Hesky did nothing all game.

I think we lost because of the better coaching of the Jets and Goodwin's goal was an absolute fluke, pure luck.

Edited by Dylan

Says it all that even at 2-0 up i didnt think we'd go on to win. Thats how inconsistant and unorganised this team is.

There is something wrong in the team, there is no motivation. The management team are not instilling a drive and motivation into the players, as they assume jobs are done as soon as they score or concede. It was the same thing, we simply could not keep composure after getting the goals and newcastle were arguably the better team with having crazy possession stats whilst we were like little kids playing on the park, just desperate to get it to the other end and go for goal. We needed to kill the game off, either by grabbing that third goal, or keeping bloody possession for a change. Ive never seen a team play with two strategies, EVERY game. It goes like this, first half quick passing and high pressure, to making Stoke look like barcelona with our fukin long ball shenaningans.

I was absouletly disgusted when we were just bombing it into the box even after the keeper was catching it no problems, and the aziz even signals to everyone that his about to bomb it in giving their keeper a nice heads up and he calmly came out to claim another catch. Wtf ffs.

To me thomson doesnt do shit for the team, i had no idea he waas even playing until the second half. I think that hoffman is coping undue critisism in here, at least from what i saw, could very well proove to be wrong, marrone is not bad, i really like williams first time low crosses, tadic and him need to work on combining like that in training. Garcia is going to be useful, and if we continue neglecting tadic which is what happens when we lose any structure, we will be wasting potential goals.

• Like 1

Was defiantly shimmie that gave away the pen, although a very soft pen at that.

For me, we came out for the 2nd half thinking the game was over and they where all over us from the start of the half and it did pay of with goodwins goal, as lucky as it was. Felt like a defeat, after playing so well in the first half to throw it away in that manner. Not sure how we fix this leaky problem, could anyone really justify dropping shimmie or bootsa? no way. We just need more composure/discipline. We are so close to getting it right.

On to sydney, no doubt about it, need 3 points. End off.

• Like 1

Williams was very poor yesterday. cant believe Williams is taking our set pieces. What a Joke.

Bad substitution from Aloisi. He took off Tadic for D Mac. It should have been Williams for D Mac and put Tadic out on the right wing. Aloisi lost us the two points lads. Simple. Let me just say that we have a coach in the wiating. Palatsides will one day coach this team. He has more experience that Aloisi.

Williams was very poor yesterday. cant believe Williams is taking our set pieces. What a Joke.

Can't agree. Wasn't it Williams low hard inswinger free kick in the first half that Colosimo headed on target only for their keeper to pull off a blinder? Could have been 3-0 right there. And he had that on target cracking drive which again the keeper just stuck a hand out. Plus his corners look more dangerous than Duga's ever do. Dugandzic has had nearly two seasons to perfect his dead balls and all he ever does is hit floating crosses or corners.

• Like 2

Soft penalty. Still don't think the blame should be on Shime.

Up 3-2 @ home with 15 to play & JA brings on a striker for a striker. FFS, no logic. Why have a defender on the bench if your not going to use them when leading??? Why not just have Kalmar or Golgol on the bench instead? JA is proving to be a terrible match day tactician. Almost like he's hoping with the subs he makes.

The less said about Hoffman the better. Still amazed that he makes our Squad of 15 almost every week. It's sort of embarrassing

I'm almost done with Bolton tbh. Isn't the same man he was last season and it kills me to say it. Just bring in Redders for a game, don't see how it could hurt. Would keep Bolton on his toes etc.

If we didn't sign Garcia & Tadic we would be the worst team in the league hands down.

Would love to see the stats for teams not taking 3 points after leading 2-0 @ home. FUCK!

I'm almost done with Bolton tbh. Isn't the same man he was last season and it kills me to say it. Just bring in Redders for a game, don't see how it could hurt. Would keep Bolton on his toes etc.

I thought Bolton looked to be carrying an injury yesterday. Agree, he's no longer up to it. He's getting nowhere near some of the shots, and his 'will I or won't I pick up the ball?' performances are pathetic. He can barely reach the halfway line with his kicks and his distribution is awful.

Some say Redmayne is not up to it. In which case, for goodness sake get another keeper. We need to plan for next season.

So sydney up next, with our open style i can see l piero having a field day tbh. I mean, they quiet frankly need a big spark to their season and a convincing win against us is very much on the cards if he is on his game. The only positive is theyre just about as bad as us at defending, so im already looking forward to this game, more goals to come youd think.

Shades of Mehmet Durakovic appearing all over again with stupid comments like this...

"They started to play around us a lot and, you know what it's like, in this heat, the opposition has a lot of the ball and when you win it back you've got no energy to then play."

Third time he has used the weather as a reason this season!!

Was defiantly shimmie that gave away the pen, although a very soft pen at that.

For me, we came out for the 2nd half thinking the game was over and they where all over us from the start of the half and it did pay of with goodwins goal, as lucky as it was. Felt like a defeat, after playing so well in the first half to throw it away in that manner. Not sure how we fix this leaky problem, could anyone really justify dropping shimmie or bootsa? no way. We just need more composure/discipline. We are so close to getting it right.

On to sydney, no doubt about it, need 3 points. End off.

We'll play them back into form.

Up 3-2 @ home with 15 to play & JA brings on a striker for a striker. FFS, no logic. Why have a defender on the bench if your not going to use them when leading??? Why not just have Kalmar or Golgol on the bench instead? JA is proving to be a terrible match day tactician. Almost like he's hoping with the subs he makes.

In fact it was the 82nd minute. We were leading 3-2. Very hot day. Everyone exhausted. It was obvious that Newcastle were going to keep coming forward as they had nothing to lose at that stage. The obvious thing to do was to bring on Mitchinson's fresh legs and lungs to shore up our defence.

Glaring error by JA.

Everyone coming around to Bolton not being up to it? That's amusing considering when I floated the idea a week or two ago I was ridiculed by multiple users and told to kill myself. Now everyone is behind the idea because of a disappointing performance.

This place is hilarious for being right behind someone one week to wanting them out of the club the next. Why not just realize that consistency of performance and mind set as well as match day tactics are the issues at hand. These are managerial problems and our coaches are to blame. The squad as a whole for the most part is extremely talented and has the potential to win silverware, It's just a shame that we don't have the coaches to match.

We won't go anywhere until we fix the defence and the coaches.

• Like 1

I only saw the game from just after we scored and till the end of the first half. At 2-0 up I thought we show-ponied a bit and i was thinking we could end up losing this.

I thought the delivery to Tadic was poor, especially from Behich and Marrone. Tadic and Garcia are class players, easy to see they both have palyed at a higher level.

I know Behich is fan fabourite and now a Soccceroo but I see a lot of deficiencies in his game: he really isn't that quick, easily brushed off the ball, his idea of taking on his man is to run straight at him and fall over and he is not a clean striker of the ball. Wished we kept Goodwin.

Marrone tries to go around 6 opponents before either losing it or hitting a cross to no-one.

Fred and Thompson just dwell on the ball far too long. Thompson has always done this, but luckily now he's playing ,midfield he doesn't cost us a goal every time he loses the ball. I was calling Fred every name under the sun for his complacency on the ball whenhe had genuine goal-scoring opportunities. I hope the club realises he is past it- yes he's coming back from injuries but he is ALWAYS doing that. The guy we really miss in midfield is Germano, not that JA would bench Thompson even if Germano was fit.

I was actually not disappointed when Dugandzic became unavailable as I've been wanting Williams to repalce him anyway, which wouldn't have happened any other way as Dugandzic is another one of the "untouchables". Williams dead ball strikes are faster and flatter, and he's quicker.

The defense? What more can we say that hasdn't been said? If the club has money to throw at Beckham they could have saved about 85% of it by spending some of it on Madaschi and we could have been a threat in the finals last season and this season, a far better long term plan to grow the club than a 10-game guest stint.

Overall, what I see is a club run by an administration with a culture that lacks ambition, lacks leadership, and a competitive spirit. This culture of negativity permeates all the way to the players on the pitch. The FFA willl make sure the club doesn't fold-it won't give up 100,000 ticket sales from the derbies-but I think we're headed for some tough times on and off the pitch.

I agree with a lot that you say except:

Behich is not slow, defensively, it's too easy to turn him but overall he's one of our better players apart from his final ball - that's often poor.

The pace of the game has increased to a level where its exposing Thompson's decision making time, Fred will be better next week after some game time (unless he's injured again)

Dugandzic's injury opens a chance for an injury replacement although our squad list isn't full, but we don't have to wait for a transfer window now.

The money for Beckham (if he comes) is additional money that the club wouldn't have to spend on other players.

We would have signed Madaschi except that he already had a Korean contract prior to him coming to us and we had a full squad list - he was an injury replacement. That's why we don't have a full list this year so that we don't miss those opportunities again. I would be trying to buy his contract though.

I agree. On the day he was more impressive than either Thompson and Fred. People need to take off their rose-coloured spectacles about Fred. He had one season left in him when he came, but not two.

On the basis of one game coming back from injury? Absolutely ridiculous. Like anyone, when he gets a run of games, he'll be much better. You've been looking to end his career for a while now and its bewildering. One of the best players in the league last year should no longer be playing? He will prove you wrong, but I doubt you'll acknowledge it.