Melbourne Football

Terrace Expansion

Joel21

Getting something happening down Swan street end would be good even if it's just a single bay. Especially with the away support so close, Plenty of banter to be had!

Definitely wouldn't hurt. A smaller group making noise, having banter can only be a good thing. Doesn't have to be full on like the Yarraside and its not a competition but it will generate interest for sure and be a better spectacle and atmosphere for the viewers.

It's important. More people, generally more atmosphere means people want to see what all the fuss is about.

Yarraside do a great job, this will only help!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Getting something happening down Swan street end would be good even if it's just a single bay. Especially with the away support so close, Plenty of banter to be had!

Definitely wouldn't hurt. A smaller group making noise, having banter can only be a good thing. Doesn't have to be full on like the Yarraside and its not a competition but it will generate interest for sure and be a better spectacle and atmosphere for the viewers.

It's important. More people, generally more atmosphere means people want to see what all the fuss is about.

Yarraside do a great job, this will only help!

-

I've been standing (well half sitting, have to break it up so security don't crack the sads again) at the back of the North end the last few games. The acoustics are pretty awesome up the back. There's been some young guys down the front giving it to the away fans and goalie. I've been doing some chants (some of them my own), but most people look at me strange. Plus most of my chants are based along the more euro/greek feel. My english mates don't take to them :P

I've noticed guys switching ends during the games. If they see some guy in a red and white bar scarf up the back singing feel free to clap along or come in and join in. I can teach you the words ;)

Edited by thedukeofhearts
  • Like 2

-

I've been standing (well half sitting, have to break it up so security don't crack the sads again) at the back of the North end the last few games. The acoustics are pretty awesome up the back. There's been some young guys down the front giving it to the away fans and goalie. I've been doing some chants (some of them my own), but most people look at me strange. Plus most of my chants are based along the more euro/greek feel. My english mates don't take to them :P

I've noticed guys switching ends during the games. If they see some guy in a red and white bar scarf up the back singing feel free to clap along or come in and join in. I can teach you the words ;)

Might join you one day

• Like 1

feel free to clap along or come in and join in. I can teach you the words ;)

happy to join in :D where exactly do you or how ever many people there sit/stand?

Edit: Shit quoting

I don;t always sit down the north. Depends on who I'm with and what times I can get to games etc. (I'll probably be in the active bay against Newcastle)

If I'm down there though I'm normally right up the back just to the left (left looking out at the ground from north end).

I'm normally with a small handful of guys, but the only one yelling. I probably look like I'm sitting by myself, I tend to move around a lot during the game. I get a bit excited :P

If anyone does wander down the north end though, make the most of it and try to get others going or link on to anyone else that's doing something !!

If you hear some guy chanting feel free to join in ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Scott Munn ‏@scott_munn

We are going to be able to open active area for this week. It is only approved as trial. More detail to follow!

Interesting.

Does he mean the terrace is getting expanded upwards or does he mean more people can join in who do not have active memberships eusa_think.gif

In the spirit of the ‘Own the experience’ match against Adelaide United on Friday night, we will be trialling the opening of bays 16, 17 and 18 (lower sections) as active supporter and allowing people to stand.

All members with a General Admission membership or ticket will be entitled to enter these areas on the night with a view to filling all three lower bays and building on the active supporter experience. The tarps will remain in their usual positions to differentiate between the GA and active areas.

If successful and attended in good number, the club would look to making the necessary adjustments in the future. This has been facilited at the request of our members to create a better atmosphere on game day, so please make everyone welcome who wishes to try out the active area and get as many people down there as possible.

The upper half of bays 16,17 and 18 will remain general admission seating and GA members can also make use of the Northern end of the stadium.

We look forward to everyone joining in the sing song, particularly the trialling of the potential new club song 'So happy together' by the turtles, which will be beamed up on to the big screen to help everyone sing along.

Your team at Heart

Edited by imonyarraside

Please hear me out as I feel this is very important.

Going to games being a GA I felt this change is one that is needed to move forward.

But I have a few points in which I feel need to be aired as understood.

1, usually me and my mates sit BEHIND the active area for a good atmosphere. Sometimes we feel as though we are excluded and away from the active area.

In saying this I believe it would be better to instead have the 3 bays active at this point in time as we are not yet big enough I feel it's important to make the whole bay 17 all the way back active.

This would mean GA would be left or right to the active area and will feel more a part of it as opposed to feeling separated.

2, how to police the 3 bays on Friday night against Adelaide to make sure all three bays are standing up bays?

Maybe I have missed it somewhere, is it strictly standing?

What happens if there are plenty of free seats because people do not want to stand?

3, people who are usually in the active area to help to integrate in bay16 and 18 to get it going in regards to chants etc. alexiano is good at this IMO

Thanks guys hope you enjoy

• Like 1

Dont stress mate. Its just a trial run and I am sure there will be some fine tuning to the arrangement. At the moment I think the way they have it (3 bays) is the better option but we will see how it goes on friday.

As for feeling excluded if anyone feels excluded they are now allowed in so there is no reason why anyone needs to feel they cant get involved.

And the way to make sure everyone is standing? Simple. If they sit down we stand right in their view ;-)

If the expansion goes alright, then this could lead to bigger and better things.

But we need to make sure that the quality of the terrace isnt diminished, and that there are no dead centres, which there have been recently.

If this continues, we may need to get to megas in there! Hope it works though!

Chant Loud! Chant Proud!

• 5 months later...

Much prefer to have the middle bay extended to the top and the others can be GA. Only the middle bay does the chanting, the others have people sitting on their arse and being lazy. I think its because 99% of active supporters want to be in the bay directly behind the goals, not off to the side, so having the middle bay all the way up IMO is probably the best thing to do. :)

When asked at the fan fourm, the club responded with, " we have no problem with it, but we just want the demand" it is not oh&s, instead it is that the club seems to think that the active area should be expanded sideways. Behind the yarraside is also the most popular ga area and by making active it allows the support area to grow larger as there is already plenty.of people in the upper section of the middle bay. But I do agree that it should be one bay bottom to top.- much easier to co- ordinate aswell

The trick is for everyone in the south stand to get more involved.

Lmao

That is the attitude that holds our atmosphere back.

The reality of the situation is that the greater South Stand consists of lot of families and small children and whole lot of other types of people who for a wide range of reasons are never going to suddenly stand up and turn into Active Supporters.

(In the case of the small children – Not for a few years anyway.)

It’s both too Idealistic and Simplistic to think we can just turn our current South Stand residents from Passive Supporters into Active Supporters with a bit of push and shove and the barking of some commands.

This is because we dont live in Turkey we live in Australia and therefore for a long time yet “Active Support” for the vast majority of Australians will remain a “Foreign” or a “Unnatural” type of support. Therefore in the immediate long term it will be always much easier for us to increase the size of The Terrace by attracting those who wish to be Active Supporters from the start rather than attempting the near impossible task of attempting to convert on a mass a group of 3,000 Passive Supporters into 3,000 Active Supporters.

If we look at The Terrace’s growth over the past the three years it is a simple undeniable fact that our greatest growth in numbers has always come from those Supporters (Mainly PPL in their Mid Teens) who have come into the Yarraside End automatically as wanting to be Active Supporters.

The short history of Yarraside has illustrated that the one proven "Winning Formula" towards increasing the size The Terrace is by Active Supporters bringing friends who are susceptible to becoming Active Supporters. Therefore over this preseason YSIDE Core is at this stage planning host a variety of different types of social events to do exactly this and encourage members of the Terrace to bring friends along who they think would want to be part of the fun we all have in The Yarraside End.

• Like 5

• 7 months later...

I think it's time we remove the black tarp in the central bay if not all 3 tarps and let GA Members be active supporters like last year. The noise that was created with the people behind the black tarps combined with Yarraside was amazing and the only time we get noise like that at AAMI Park is when the wife beater scores and the north terrace celebrate... Thoughts?

• Like 1