Melbourne Football

Sunday October 21 - 5:00pm Perth vs. Melbourne

cadete

The Heart supporters behind me at AAMI Park, who are of Croatian extraction, definitely pronounce Tadic as 'Tardic.'

2-0. After our failure against Wellington last week I'm not surprised. Perth have now put 10 goals past us in three games and we haven't managed a single goal in reply.

We do not have the ability to play the ball though midfield or down the wings and create chances, and we simply do not have the firepower in the middle to take those chances. Too many players perform below their potential too often.

When Grella is ready bring him into the side as DM. Put Garcia on the left wing, Garrucio on the right wing, and get a bloody centre-forward who can stand up.

Get some method for dead-ball kicks.

At the end of the season release all those coming out of contract who are not up to scratch.

HAHA! That would have been some plan B...seriously though we didn't appear to have any plan whatsoever? Did anyone see what we were trying to do? Running around like headless chooks more like it...

Still think that the rookie coaches are to be blamed...

Edited by benzema23

absolutely hopeless performance. I'm surprised Aloisi took williams off, him and Gerhardt were the only ones who came to play. Dugandzic looked slow, Behich didn't have the best of games, Garcia went missing in the second half, Thompson was playing dumb football, the list goes on.

2 goals we conceded were from silly, silly errors. Marrone's fresh air at the front post for the first, and we got caught out not having a man on the back post in corners for the second (can someone explain to me why we aren't having a man on the back post this season?)

We're lucky we have Germano, Garuccio, Colosimo, Grella and Mebrahtu up our sleeve to come in over the next few matches.

It didn't help having Fred go off at half time, and going down to 10 men in the 69th minute, but i would've still liked to see us put some more effort in and show some grunt.

I'd say it's a building year if the side has mainly younger players in it. Such as last year with Babalj, Hamill and Good. But not when you have quite a few players - e.g. Bolton, Garcia, Grella, Fred, Colosimo, Thompson, Gray - who are coming out of contract at the end of the season and who are all in their 30s.

If you mean a building year wrt to coaching, well, that's a hell of a gamble to take.

One game doesn't define a season. But it is depressing to see the same sort of performance as we've all seen before on a number of occasions. For example, not having someone on the back post at corners - how many times are we going to make that sort of basic error?

Onwards to next Sunday. There are no easy games in the A-League this year. No easybeats like NQF and GCU.

Edited by jw1739

tadic could be a potential maycon, we will have to see, corners were shite. No one is even in the box. Outnumbered 5-1 at times. Look at what Adelaide United do. free kicks were as usual discraseful. But we need to have more long range shots. will be interested to see what happens next week.

Also was really annoyed with the one commentator who interviewed fred during the second half, have some standards ffs!

• Like 1

not sure what sport we were playing today but it definitely wasnt football. we couldnt even string 2 passes together! for a club that promises attacking type possession football we are playing anything but that. i dont understand why the problems that have been dogging us for 3 seasons now havent been fixed. are we trying to play badly or is our team just plain shit?

assessment of some of the players:

tadic: waste of a visa spot

williams: overrated

thompson: also overrated as he offers very little

dugandzic: way too weak on the ball

fred: should never have been appointed captain. we cant rely on him as his way too injury prone. a back-up attacking mid should've been recruited as hoffman isnt a footballer.

• Like 2

Agree with so much of above. As a Gooner, seeing us getting crucified with dead ball situations is just way too much dejavu. Don't know what I did to deserve this in life!!

Only plus was Gerhardt, and Williams did have a crack. But the rest of the game looked like an English league 2 last round match between two teams just safe from relegation. No intensity, no desire and no skill. As bad as we were, Perth weren't great either but (like last year) were far more physical on the ball and bossed us a fair bit. We need to be harder in the middle of the park and the final third was plain awful. Balls being bombed in long to god knows who for god knows what. Tadic again looked like an observer and needs to smarten up pretty quickly or the "son of Maycon" tag looms. The guy just looks lost - sad given where he's been.

In sport you're only a week away from redemption or purgatory - lets hope it's the former.

what a fucken pathetic performance that was. was really dissapointed in marrone and dugantic.

Both of them should have to walk back to melbourne after there performances! We looked like a rabble as soon

as fred went off. the only possible highlight of this game was the varankovic kid. He had a shot on goal he shoud've buried

his first but i actually thought he played reasonably well considering it was his first start. CCM game becomes a big match for us now

not sure what sport we were playing today but it definitely wasnt football. we couldnt even string 2 passes together! for a club that promises attacking type possession football we are playing anything but that. i dont understand why the problems that have been dogging us for 3 seasons now havent been fixed. are we trying to play badly or is our team just plain shit?

assessment of some of the players:

tadic: waste of a visa spot

williams: overrated

thompson: also overrated as he offers very little

dugandzic: way too weak on the ball

fred: should never have been appointed captain. we cant rely on him as his way too injury prone. a back-up attacking mid should've been recruited as hoffman isnt a footballer.

2 weeks ago.....

Tadic: great signs, can't wait til he plays more!

Williams: anddddddddddd he is back!!!! ITS THE HAIR I TELL YOU

Thompson: great work again, a bit old but solid.

Dugandzic: OMGAHWGAH THAT RUN FOR THE SECOND GOAL WAS AMAZING! CAP HIM!

Fred: we all know how good he is and tonight he showed it! fred >>>> hoffman >>>>>>> flores

it was Perth away, everyone is shit there. next week we will win 3-0

• Like 6

Only saw the fist half, but since everybody says we were even more rubbish in the second half makes me thankful I missed it. I think it is now safe to say this is the sort of football Aloisi's team will dish up for the rest of the season. Longballs, fighting for the ball, knock downs, midfields that don't pass the ball to each other, no system in attack, no patience or creativity. We played exactly the same way in the last game only the players delivered on JA's long ball game plan. In this game they didn't and if you are going to fail in delivering such a dire style of football then you deserve to be lambasted. Vinne Grella can't play soon enough, but he may be a passenger based on JA's game plans so far. He will spend all season watching Gerhardt kick the ball over his head.

Reasonable first half by Heart where they were competitive although rather toothless. The second half they were just supine, completely intimidated by the physicality of Perth as usual. In the last 4 matches against Perth (2x home and away, 1 final, 1 practice game) , the aggregate score is Perth 12 - Heart 0. Says it all. A bit of spine please.

I'm yet to see any quality from Tadic. This is the guy that kept Berisha on the bench?

Edited by belaguttman

I am a bit suprised that JA didn't put Gray on and move Gerhardt into midfield which would have freed up Garcia and/or Thompson into the playmaker role rather than Tadic who (when he stays on his feet) is more of an out and out striker.

With the signing of Grella it would appear that the idea is to use Garcia, Thompson and Fred (plus others) in the more attacking roles and Gerhardt was signed as a defensive mid-fielder.

Taking nothing away from the experience of Colosimo, perhaps I just like the idea of Gray and Vrankovic as our centre backs based on the little that I have seen of them.

• Like 1