Melbourne Football

Sunday October 21 - 5:00pm Perth vs. Melbourne

cadete

I know saying Smeltz out is huge for us but it's HUGE for us! 6 goals from 4 games against us last season.

IMHO Kalmar is a bit overrated here and Hoffman a tiny bit harshly treated. I don't rate either to be honest but feel Hoffman offers us a little more through his intensity and ability to fill a gap in a few positions (I know not very well). Don't really care who gets the nod either way though as I see the difference as marginal.

Hopefully with Germano, Gol Gol and of course Grella returning to fitness we don't have to worry about either.

I like the look of Vrankovic and it will be interesting to see how patient Aloisi is with me. Right or wrong, JvS would give Vrankovic a starting spot ahead of Colosimo/Gerhardt for short term pain/long term gain.

Well, since you put it like that...er, yes.

Same difference. The season will be half over before some of our blokes have come out of their cotton-wool packaging. Can't help thinking there's a bit too much mollycoddling going on.

I agree we need players to play. The A-League season and the average length of players contracts are simply too short to have quality players sitting around for the term of their contract not playing. As has been pointed out on other threads there is no where (eg. reserves) for those players not in the firsts to get meaningful competition. A longer season would give injured players more time to recover and to play a meaningful part in the team.

Unfortunately it is better for the club to risk a player on the last year of their contract to get some value out of them, and then when they are injured let them go. At least then we get some return from their wages.

The whole league structure needs to be re-vamped to allow more players more oportunities and to allow clubs to grow their own talent and hold on to them.

Perth-raised Melbourne Heart midfielder Richard Garcia's family hedging their bets

David Davutovic

October 21, 2012 12:00AM

RICHARD Garcia was one of the 9639 at Perth Oval when Glory made its National Soccer League debut 16 years ago.

While Glory lost 4-1 to Sydney Olympic, it was the start of something special.

For Garcia - then 15 - and the thousands of teens in attendance, his dream of playing in the NSL had become more realistic.

The West Ham scout who spotted Garcia playing in Perth a year later altered his career path, so while Garcia's brother Michael and many mates went on to play for Glory, the younger Richard planned to finish there.

Today Garcia returns to Perth Oval - now nib Stadium - and his family and friends will be watching in the stands.

He will be wearing a Melbourne Heart outfit and he reckons they'll be hedging their bets.

"They'll be split I think. Some might be going for me, others will want me to do well and Glory to win," Garcia said.

"But I'm looking forward to playing in front of friends and family.

"I remember going to the first game in the NSL, it was a fantastic atmosphere.

"It all brand new, we'd never seen anything like it before and Glory became the trendsetters."

After 16 years abroad, Garcia signed for Heart - on a free transfer from Hull City - and he's made a brilliant start to the season in his makeshift holding midfield position, playing a box-to-box role.

Glory has had two nibbles at Richard Garcia, the last of which was more inquiry than offer.

"They tried to bring me back just before I went to Hull (in 2007), at the time I was in two minds," Garcia said.

"But I'd just signed for Hull (in the Championship) and it wasn't right timing.

"This time we didn't really speak in depth, it was almost like a passing chat.

"It just so happened that Heart and I were thinking along the same lines and it seemed a perfect fit."

Heart will make at least one change today, with teen defender David Vrankovic to earn his first start in place of suspended Simon Colosimo.

"We're pretty confident, had a good start to season and the boys are hungry," Garcia said.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/perth-raised-melbourne-heart-midfielder-richard-garcias-family-hedging-their-bets/story-fndkzvnd-1226499906629

Possible line up:

Bolton

Marrone Gerhardt Vrankovic Behich

Fred Garcia Thompson

Dugandzic Macallister Williams

Redmayne Gray Hoffman Tadic

I reckon this is the probable line up. The only possible differences IMO are that Tadic could sneak into the starting line up in place of Williams or Macallister, and Kalmar could be on the bench instead of Hoffman.

If Vrankovic and Gerhardt don't make mistakes and perform decently in defence I reckon we have a good chance of coming away from Perth with points. Then it's a matter of whether our forwards, Williams, Macallister, Dugandzic and Tadic can take their chances.

Going off our first two games we have the luxury of not needing to worry about our midfield and whether we'll create chances. IMO it is much better to have the problem of needing to finish enough chances, rather than needing to actually create chances in the first place (a problem we've had before).

I reckon we'll win 2-1, Williams and Tadic to score.

• Like 1