Melbourne Football

Vincenzo Grella

LR9

BTW - Babalj looks like a striker. he acts like a striker etc. He has it! aka Sibon. You can see it on their face when they hit the field. Strikers have an arrogance about them. Aloisi had it when he was playing.

Can you give me a bit of an insight into what you see in this face?

tevez_1115726a.jpg

• Like 2

Please stop posting markn.

markn, I don't usually write personal messages and you have made some good points in your posts but your negativity is a little grating.

Please, feel free to share your opinion but please, make it reasonable.

p.s. and yes, the season is too short.

markn, I don't usually write personal messages and you have made some good points in your posts but your negativity is a little grating.

Please, feel free to share your opinion but please, make it reasonable.

p.s. and yes, the season is too short.

You have started to miss my point.

The acquisition of grella should allow garcia to move to his more natural role in the front line. This in turn will force tadic out as he currently is not preforming to the levels displayed by the existing forward members. I believe garcia is a far better in attack than tadic.

We'll see today which way aloisi goes when the squad is announced. The saving grace for tadic, in my opinion, is that grella will not join the squad until heart return on monday.

Jimmy, which point do you regard is un reasonable? What's negative about grellas signing? with every signing someone must miss out. Thats not being negative. thats being realistic. 12 does not got go in 11.

You have started to miss my point.

The acquisition of grella should allow garcia to move to his more natural role in the front line. This in turn will force tadic out as he currently is not preforming to the levels displayed by the existing forward members. I believe garcia is a far better in attack than tadic.

We'll see today which way aloisi goes when the squad is announced. The saving grace for tadic, in my opinion, is that grella will not join the squad until heart return on monday.

Jimmy, which point do you regard is un reasonable? What's negative about grellas signing? with every signing someone must miss out. Thats not being negative. thats being realistic. 12 does not got go in 11.

Good. So now we have an even stronger squad. With D-Mac as our first choice striker now it is up to Tadic to find some form otherwise he may well spend the season on the bench (next to the Hoff no doubt). Williams is also able to play the centre forward role as well as on the left/right where we also have a lot of competition for places, which is now even stronger with Garcia able to move up the field with the arrival of Grella.

All in all we have a very good, strong and competitive squad. It is a shame the season isn't longer to allow more of the players to get a run, but those who play will be on their toes.

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

Remember that Garcia and Grella are both on one-year contracts only at this point. Competition for first-team starts is a fact of life for footballers. It's a lot harder in Australia where, as markn has pointed out, it's the A-League or nothing. No reserve team competition and no competitions involving teams from lower divisions (such as Cup competitions) where there is an opportunity for fringe first-teamers to get an opportunity. Not even a lower league at the same time where a player could be loaned out for a few games. That's why here it is so important to hit the season running, which means you have to get new players here asap and get a strong pre-season into them. IMO Heart's pre-seasons need to get tougher. Community festivals are fine and they help the club to grow, but while we were playing scratch teams of 18-y-olds Perth were in South Africa and Wellington were in India getting battle-hardened so-to-speak.

Good to see Grella joining us. Means the club is growing in stature.

• Like 1

Heart in no hurry to play Grella

19 October 2012-SBS EXCLUSIVE: Greg Prichard

Melbourne Heart coach John Aloisi says we shouldn’t expect new signing Vince Grella to play in the next two weeks and that if it takes four - or even six - weeks before he is ready, that won’t be a problem.

Aloisi told The World Game that while his conversations with Grella had convinced him the fellow former Australia player would be able to make a big impression over the bulk of the A-League season, an important part of the plan was to avoid rushing him into action.

Grella had a lot of injury problems playing for Blackburn Rovers in the English Premier League over the past four seasons, a stint that came after a decade in which he made a name for himself playing for several clubs in the Serie A and also regularly for the Socceroos.

He has been training with a personal trainer in Italy for the past four months, and after failing to gain a European club contract, is coming back to Australia at 33.

Grella will arrive in Melbourne on Saturday and Heart plays Perth Glory at nib Stadium on Sunday.

TWG will chat with Grella on Saturday morning with video of the interview available later in the day

“We shouldn’t expect to see Vince in the field in the next two weeks, unless he completely surprises me,” Aloisi said.

“It wouldn’t be just hard on him if we played him when he wasn’t ready, it would also be hard on the team.

“It’s too early to say how long it will be before we play him, he hasn’t even arrived yet. He’s been training overseas, but I don’t know how far he is from playing. We won’t know that until Vince is here and we can properly assess him.

“But we won’t rush him. If it was to take four weeks, or even six weeks, that’s not an issue. We’ve got another 25 rounds in front of us at this stage. It’s a long season, and it will be important to ensure Vince is properly prepared to play.

“I know what it’s like when you’ve had a few of those injuries. You’ve got to get your loading right at training before you’re ready to play, and once we do that with Vince and he goes out there to play I’m convinced he will play a very significant role for us.

“I’m sure that we will get a lot out of Vince. He will do well for us. He is the best defensive midfielder, along with Paul Okon, that we have produced in Australia. I’ve got the highest regard for him as a player. He’s got great tactical awareness.

“He will get used to what we’re doing while he is preparing to play, and once he goes out there on the pitch he will pick up on exactly what we want him to do."

Aloisi clearly believes Grella will be worth the wait, but in the meantime he is preparing Heart for a difficult away assignment against Perth Glory on Sunday.

Heart began the season with an impressive, 2-1 win over Melbourne Victory, and then had to hang on for a 1-1 draw with Wellington Phoenix after having Simon Colosimo sent off.

Heart paid the price for missing several good chances while it was still 11 on 11 against a team that was severely depleted because of players missing through FIFA World Cup qualifying duty and injury.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1125119/Heart-in-no-hurry-to-play-Grella/?_nocache=1

I'm happy with us not rushing Grella. We rushed Skoko and Fred and both times it was costly.

Grella will take our midfield to another level, and I think it might become the best in the league. But our midfield is pretty good as it is currently, so I don't mind us not bringing in Grella for 2 to 4, or even 6 weeks. He'll be an asset if he can play for most of the last 20 games, and if we make the finals Grella could be a real difference maker. Can't wait to see him in Red and White, though.

Latest on Grella, from Melbourne Heart's twitter account:

Melbourne Heart FC is proud to confirm the signing of Vince Grella to a one-season deal. Grella will wear the number 31 jersey.

Grella "When I was here in Summer I met up with John and saw the facilities and the culture and that's what helped me sign."

Grella "Melbourne Heart are a club that want to help develop young players and I want to be part of that."

Tweets made in the last 15 minutes.

Heart in no rush to play Grella

Australian football has Melbourne Heart coach John Aloisi to thank for the return of midfield star Vince Grella to the domestic club scene for the first time in 14 years.

Grella, 33, said on Tuesday his long-time former Socceroos team-mate was "99 per cent" of the reason why he chose to sign a one-year deal with the Heart.

And the admiration is most definitely mutual, with Aloisi lauding Grella as one of the best two defensive midfielders ever produced by Australia, along with Paul Okon.

After a successful decade in the Italian Serie A with Empoli, Parma and Torino, Grella endured a frustrating, injury-riddled four seasons with English Premier League outfit Blackburn.

He was let go by Rovers at the end of the 2011-12 campaign and took some time before deciding he had the motivation to make a new start in Australia, where he last played at club level with Canberra Cosmos and Carlton as a teenager in the now-defunct NSL from 1996-98.

"I needed to recuperate my enthusiasm and probably leaving England and moving back to Italy was something I needed to do," Grella said.

"I needed to find if I still had the drive and passion to be a professional footballer."

Grella spent time working with his old physical trainer at Empoli before returning to Australia but the Heart have yet to decide when the veteran of the 2006 and 2010 World Cup campaigns will be ready to make his A-League debut.

"I haven't had a lot of football training so in my conversations with John that was always the key topic," Grella said.

"I needed to get back to football training and John understands that because he's been in a similar type of situation.

"That's why we're not putting a time scale on it."

Aloisi said the younger members of the Heart squad would benefit greatly from playing alongside Grella.

"Tactically he's as good as I've ever played with, so that makes life easier for a coach because he can pass on information to the players on the pitch," the first-year head coach said.

"And as a professional, I've played with quite a few and he's as good as you get.

"We want to challenge for the championship and bringing in a player of Vince's calibre is clear evidence that this is an important goal for our club."

Grella made headlines a couple of years ago by criticising Australian fans who had turned on former Socceroos star Aloisi, who had been enduring a tough time on the pitch for Sydney FC.

Grella was not backing away from that position on Tuesday.

The midfielder stepped aside from international soccer after the 2010 World Cup.

He did not rule out the possibility of a Socceroos return on Tuesday but only if his club form warranted it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-23/heart-in-no-rush-to-play-grella/4329826?section=vic

So the biggest factor behind signing JVS was his ability to lure some quality players to our team, and in 2 seasons he brought us Rutger Worm.

Aloisi on a fraction of the salary has already brought us the biggest signing in our club's history, at the very least in reputation but probably in ability as well.

So the biggest factor behind signing JVS was his ability to lure some quality players to our team, and in 2 seasons he brought us Rutger Worm.

Aloisi on a fraction of the salary has already brought us the biggest signing in our club's history, at the very least in reputation but probably in ability as well.

true. I think Aloisi especially has the ability to lure Australian players (Garcia, Grella, hopefully Bresciano next year)

Edited by heart_fan10

The measure of Aloisi should be not who he brings to the club but how the team performs on the pitch.

• Like 1

Such a bad signing IMO, this guys has literary done nothing for the past year or two and we are just expecting

that he will slot into this team and immediatly take us to championship contenders?? Surely aliosi is having a laugh.

He doesn't even have a timetable on his return FFS! All the warning signs were there not too sign this guy and we did.

Dropped the ball this time aliosi!!

Such a bad signing IMO, this guys has literary done nothing for the past year or two and we are just expecting

that he will slot into this team and immediatly take us to championship contenders?? Surely aliosi is having a laugh.

He doesn't even have a timetable on his return FFS! All the warning signs were there not too sign this guy and we did.

Dropped the ball this time aliosi!!

they said the same about culina.

i think its unfair to judge him until he's played for us at least once. did you say the same thing about fred?

Aloisi still hasn't convinced me and the fact that he is relying on older more experienced players shows that he wants to play it safe. I hope that by round 10 he would have proven me wrong and that we perform as a team...

He hasn't convinced met at all either, and statements like the ''We are a counter-attacking team" in the age today put me offside even more. I want a manager who is brave enough to win, not scared about losing.

He hasn't convinced met at all either, and statements like the ''We are a counter-attacking team" in the age today put me offside even more. I want a manager who is brave enough to win, not scared about losing.

I was surprised reading that blunt statement in The Age ("we are a counter-attacking team"), because I watched the whole video of that press conference on the world game (http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/video/2295420573/Heart-unveils-Grella) and I didn't hear him make that statement. So perhaps it was a misquotation. I heard him say about counter-attacking what another article wrote, namely:

"We're a good counter attacking team at times because we've got quick players going forward, but not always can you catch teams on the counter.

"Vince will help control the game a lot better so that when we do need to keep the ball we can keep possession and wait for the right time to penetrate the opposition and when we can counter we will counter."

I want to see Aloisi show his coaching skills in making us build up play well with the ball, and use possession and passing to create chances. Aloisi has already shown that he can coach the team into playing superb defence, like against Victory, so I just want to see him make Heart's attack good and possession based.

The Mariners this Sunday will force us to keep the ball, and I doubt we'll be able to counter-attack and get behind them often. So I'm going to reserve my judgement on whether Aloisi can bravely take the game to opponents and make us play possession based football until this Sunday's match. I think we'll all know what sort of football he wants to play by then.

• Like 1