Melbourne Football

SPECULATIVE Striker Options for 2012/13

biancorosso7

I don't think it'd be in the best interests of the clubs long term future to spend all the money that has been made on an injury prone striker who's best is far behind him. Find another Germano and recruit a few more solid players and we'll be looking good. We only went downhill last season when Olyroo duty and injuries curtailed our season.

At the start of last season most would've predicted Victory to be top 2 and CCM to be near the bottom, it's all down to squad balance in this league not signing big names on paper.

• Like 2

problem is we've fallen off the face of the earth this off-season. Hardly any media coverage, we haven't been making any announcements even though technically we should've been in the media constantly with all the changes in the squad. Obviously winning has a lot to do with getting interest, but people have to know who we actually are first before they come and watch us. A big signing like Owen would give us what we need.

Edited by heart_fan10
  • Like 1

I don't think it'd be in the best interests of the clubs long term future to spend all the money that has been made on an injury prone striker who's best is far behind him. Find another Germano and recruit a few more solid players and we'll be looking good. We only went downhill last season when Olyroo duty and injuries curtailed our season.

At the start of last season most would've predicted Victory to be top 2 and CCM to be near the bottom, it's all down to squad balance in this league not signing big names on paper.

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but looking in from the outside my confidence is being shaken by our apparent failure to finalise even a coaching team (supposedly was going to be done by the middle of June), let alone getting a competitive playing squad together. It does look like Good and Hamill will go now, leaving us back to 15 signed players. JD and SM have always been confident about replacements, but time marches on with little tangible result. Now we're supposedly trialling someone from Serie D - that's just about the bottom of the barrel as far as I'm concerned. Might as well try my beloved Faroe Islands.

Spending the transfer money on one 33 year old player's wages for one season will probably end up being a massive waste.

Everything we do should have long term growth and improvement as part of it's criteria. It's like an investment portfolio. It should be spent on the football department, but spread around a bit. Use some on better facilities maybe. Use some on wages, perhaps a good striker at his peak who can give us 5 years of good service. Maybe some on the coaching and fitness staff or sports science stuff if that will help improve us. Or in improving our scouting network if we have one. Things that will attract more good young players to want to play with us. It might sound boring, but it's the right thing to do. Reinvest it into making us a better football club over the longer term. Spending it all on someone like Owen would be like gambling it. We know the history of big name marquees in this league.

Don't get me wrong, I'd welcome Owen. But it depends where all the money is coming from. If sponsors or third parties want to chip in to increase the value of their sponsorships, then great.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

Sorry for making a silly girl comment, but I, for one, had a huge crush on Michael Owen when I was younger.

I know I'm supposed to think about spending money wisely, the future of the club etc etc, but I would just be so excited if he came.

Until he actually signs for another club, I will keep dreaming.

Ok, back to being a proper football supporter...

Look we all know we'd take Owen in a heart beat but it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense in terms of what the clubs been saying. 'we make stars' blah blah blah. Can't see it happening But memeberships would surely hit 10k + and the hype would be massive.

Edited by cadete
Profanity

@themichaelowen: I see the Twitter rumour mill is at it again! As I've previously said, my next club will either be abroad or in The Premier League.

That narrows it down.

I wish my girlfriend was into Football... or sport.

Most women are not into football. So make a day out of it, something you do together. Take a walk along the Yarra or through the gardens, have a picnic/BBQ, go to the art gallery etc. Then go and scream your guts out at the game.

And remember, this advice is only worth what you've payed for it. :)

• Like 1

Look we all know we'd take Owen in a heart beat but it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense in terms of what the clubs been saying. 'we make stars' blah blah blah. Can't see it happening But memeberships would surely hit 10k + and the hype would be massive.

i can understand the club wanting to gradually build up the memberships and the supporters, but i think if they can sign a big name like owen, and make it turn out to be successful, then we'll see massive growth across the board. Obviously there's going to be a lot that drop off after the big name leaves us, but if we manage 5,000 new supporters coming in, there's probably at least 1,500 of those new supporters that will stick on well after the big name signing once they get attached to the club. Not to mention there'd still be a number of those who will come every now and then to support us in the bigger matches. At this stage, it's just a matter of really getting the heart brand out there, and getting noticed, but we're going to need a 'big name' to do that.

I just can't see owen at heart. He's been one of the best strikers in the world, albeit some years back. There seems no strong link as to why he would choose to move to the other side of the world to get paid bugger all in comparison to what he could get just about anywhere else. It just doesn't add up.

We're a club that seems to be offloading some of our best talent/prospects to balance the books. I think we should temper our expectations. That is, if anyone actually thinks owen was anywhere near a chance in the first place.

Edited by Jake

i just hope JD still has a quality striker as a backup otherwise we'll end up doing what we did last year. Our first preference was a colombian striker iirc, and when that didn't work out, the club just signed maycon as 'plan B'

Hopefully we've learnt from that...

EDIT:

Keeper Jerrad Tyson, striker Dylan McAllister, as well as former Mariner Matt Lewis and an un-named Korean player were some of the players on trial

those players are trialling at the moment for western Sydney off a '442' article. I think christian7 said macallister was going to sign for us, but obviously he's about to now sign with WS.

Edited by heart_fan10

more people in Melbourne would know Judd than some cunt born in the North-West of England

Ha I know mate, was taking the piss!

My mate that works at the club tells me that there is gonna be 2 signings announced tomorrow. He didn't know who though?

Could possibly be that coaching bloke as one of them.

• Like 1

Ha I know mate, was taking the piss!

My mate that works at the club tells me that there is gonna be 2 signings announced tomorrow. He didn't know who though?

Could possibly be that coaching bloke as one of them.

The same mate that told you about Bulut, or is this one legit?

• Like 1

Sorry for making a silly girl comment, but I, for one, had a huge crush on Michael Owen when I was younger.

I know I'm supposed to think about spending money wisely, the future of the club etc etc, but I would just be so excited if he came.

Until he actually signs for another club, I will keep dreaming.

Ok, back to being a proper football supporter...

natalie you obviously understand the offside rule then...marry me!? ^_^