Melbourne Football

Yarraside Knowledge Bank

AyeCee

13 minutes ago, Tesla said:

How long do people reckon it takes to pick up driving manual after only driving auto? Struggling to find an auto car to rent and i've driven manual a couple of times before. in my head it seems pretty simple, just get on the clutch and change gears when you need to, but i've probably forgotten that its a bit more complex than that...

Basically, do people think i can pick it up instantly or is it something that takes a few days/weeks?

I went from driving nothing but auto cars to jumping on a motorbike (manual) and getting my license within 2 hours. 

Pretty straightforward. Hardest part is taking off. Fun part is bashing the limiter 

2 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

If you're committed, the first few days will be tough but if you push through and arent retarded (you strike me as someone who would manage) then a couple weeks to be fully comeptent.

Well it would only be for like a week max that I'd get a car, so if it takes more than a day to get used to it's not much point.

1 minute ago, strider said:

I went from driving nothing but auto cars to jumping on a motorbike (manual) and getting my license within 2 hours. 

Pretty straightforward. Hardest part is taking off. Fun part is bashing the limiter 

yeah I'm pretty confident and think that after a bit of a trial by fire, stalling it a couple of times and cunts getting mad at me, i'll be fine but wanted to check here if I'm being over confident or stupid...

1 minute ago, Tesla said:

yeah I'm pretty confident and think that after a bit of a trial by fire, stalling it a couple of times and cunts getting mad at me, i'll be fine but wanted to check here if I'm being over confident or stupid...

Yeah pretty much. Stall it a few times and you're good to go 

34 minutes ago, Tesla said:

How long do people reckon it takes to pick up driving manual after only driving auto? Struggling to find an auto car to rent and i've driven manual a couple of times before. in my head it seems pretty simple, just get on the clutch and change gears when you need to, but i've probably forgotten that its a bit more complex than that...

Basically, do people think i can pick it up instantly or is it something that takes a few days/weeks?

Should be able to pick it up in a couple of days, bit of a difference between a learner who has 1000 other things going on in their head while learning a manual to somebody who is experienced with an auto and only has to think about 1 thing.

Probably biggest issue will be forgetting you're in a manual. 

@Tesla depends a lot on how much experience you've had driving a manual prior to this. But assuming you have only driven a manual when you got your license it shouldn't take too long. Just go up some quiet streets and practice for a couple of minutes and you shouldn't have a problem. 

And by the way you'll never forget your in a manual especially at lights. As long as you keep it in gear and your foot on the clutch it's virtually impossible to forget. 

Edited by n i k o

13 minutes ago, n i k o said:

@Tesla depends a lot on how much experience you've had driving a manual prior to this. But assuming you have only driven a manual when you got your license it shouldn't take too long. Just go up some quiet streets and practice for a couple of minutes and you shouldn't have a problem. 

And by the way you'll never forget your in a manual especially at lights. As long as you keep it in gear and your foot on the clutch it's virtually impossible to forget. 

My experience of driving a manual is basically:

1. When I was like 15 and we had a optional school excursion to some driving school place, and I seemed to get a decent hang of it despite never having driven anything before

2. Driving my friend's manual car one time (down quite suburban streets during the day on a weekday), and seemed to go okay but I really only remember the bigger issue which was that was it was a turbo (a real turbo not some gay european 1.2L turbo diesel economy shit) so for a split second when it kicked in you thought you were going to go flying into the house at the end of the road :up:

So I don't really have any experience but I kind of do (but also dont really remember), and as I explained they were both more difficult situations (no experience first time and then high powered car second time) then i'd be in now.

Edited by Tesla

53 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Then you should be ok. What car will you be driving @Tesla

Whatever is cheapest, so just some shitty small hatchback. 

Previous car I hired when in London was apparently a medium, as they didn't have a small auto, and that was a Hyundai i30. Actually driven the same model in Australia when some crazy bitch drove into my car on purpose and it had to be repaired,  but that's a story for another time. Point is, in Australia that's a shitty small hatchback that the smash repairers gives you as a free loan car. In Europe it's a nice medium sized vehicle lawl. So a shitty small hatchback here is tiny, I don't even know what the models are. 

Bigger car would just mean more fuel (really expensive) and harder to park so no point getting bigger anyway. 

It's hard to find an automatic cause no one drives them  plus being u25 rules out all the big car hire companies.

On positive note, keen to get rear parking sensors or even camera when I next purchase a car, quite useful once you've used them. 

Edited by Tesla

A couple of random things - the only time I've forgotten I'm in a manual is as I stop at lights. Brain- why is car sounding wierd? Shit- clutch!

Every clutch is a bit different so even if you drove a friends manual every now and then you'd still need to adjust.

to be honest you just need to anyway, not getting a car because it has a clutch is a bit like not going somewhere because you have to turn right. Just find a spot to practice for a few minutes and you should be fine. Don't panic if you do stall it, even any experienced driver does this occasionally.

one tip I'll give, if you are on a hill, use your handbrake, that's what it's for.

19 hours ago, Tesla said:

On positive note, keen to get rear parking sensors or even camera when I next purchase a car, quite useful once you've used them. 

Tes, I took the plunge and paid extra for front and rear sensors when I bought a new Golf a couple of years ago. Car is nice and compact, but seems to me councils etc. are cutting down the size of parking spaces - especially on-street - and I find the sensors invaluable. Well worth it.

What I don't understand is that the infringement notices are issued by the Victorian Taxi Service Commission. How can it fine someone who isn't - apparently - under its jurisdiction? I mean, can I be fined if as a favour I take my neighbour to the airport and accept $10 for Citylink charges as recognition for doing so?

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

What I don't understand is that the infringement notices are issued by the Victorian Taxi Service Commission. How can it fine someone who isn't - apparently - under its jurisdiction? I mean, can I be fined if as a favour I take my neighbour to the airport and accept $10 for Citylink charges as recognition for doing so?

Its classed as hire car or passenger service which fall under the taxi service commission

4 hours ago, Tesla said:

Fuck I love uber so much, rustling so many jimmies while proving the power of the free market can't be stopped. 

If cabbies actually improved their service and stopped complaining every 5 seconds they could compete with uber.

I don't know why the state government hasn't just made uber legal yet? I'm pretty sure its legal in NSW and WA i believe?

Edited by kingofhearts

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Dunno if this is the right thread but this is now a thing

http://www.mykifines.org.au/#

tells you if you should fight or pay your myki fine

Nah, that's shit. 

Pretty simple really, just take any myki related fine to court and they'll probably just drop the charges cause the system is so broken. 

That's why they introduced the on the spot payment to con you into paying before you've had a chance to think. 

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just a note about an organisation called National Solar Regulation Advisory.

If you receive a letter from this rather "official- looking" organization about your solar panel installation, as I did, at first glance you might assume it's some sort of government agency - it isn't. The letter implies that there have been recent changes in regulations concerning solar power installations and that you need to have your solar installation checked. I checked with my supplier and there haven't and you do not.

My supplier advised me to throw the letter away and have nothing to do with said organisation. 

19 hours ago, Hackett said:

Realistically what are the chances of successfully disputing a MyKi fine? 

They may have closed the loop hole now but when I got a fine probably over a year or so ago cause I forgot to touch on my myki, I just asked to contest it at court knowing nothing would happen, and over a year later still haven't heard anything about going to court.

It was well known at the time that they couldn't win a case over myki (hence the option to pay a discounted amount on the spot to stop you taking it to court) cause they couldn't prove the machines worked properly, but again they might have fixed that loophole now.

Edited by Tesla

11 hours ago, Tesla said:

They may have closed the loop hole now but when I got a fine probably over a year or so ago cause I forgot to touch on my myki, I just asked to contest it at court knowing nothing would happen, and over a year later still haven't heard anything about going to court.

It was well known at the time that they couldn't win a case over myki (hence the option to pay a discounted amount on the spot to stop you taking it to court) cause they couldn't prove the machines worked properly, but again they might have fixed that loophole now.

On that note: Care Park fines are not viable and backed up by law. Never payed mine, they didn't say shit. Not sure what it is but they are not backed by the Gov and shit thus their spastic fines don't hold up in court (and they won't spend money to take you there over $50 or $500. So park away). 

Also pro tip in Care Park areas -- use an old ticket but tuck it in the dash so it is partially visible. Even if they talk shit on you, they'll have to note down "it was not fully visible" -- thus admitting you did in fact have a ticket. And they won't chase you up about it if you don't pay cos in the instance you DO have a ticket its big LOLS and loss in court.

tldr: buy 1 care park ticket. use forever

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...