Melbourne Football

Australia at the WC

Nate

So Matt Ryan won the goalkeeper of the year award in Belgium and now the whole world will watch him at the World Cup.

Small rumour Real Madrid are interested in him but I reckon more big clubs will chase him after the tournament ends

Saw it coming as soon as he signed with Club Brugge. It's a lesson to to other young Australian players, make a smart move to Europe, not just a move to Europe. The Belgian league is a step up from the Australian, but not too high that good young Aussie players will disappear off the radar due to lack of game time. It's also a country that has produced boat loads of talent in recent times, just look at their WC squad, not many countries that can leave a guy like Nainggolan out, or even leave out a guy like Batshuayi despite the first choice in his position being ruled out with an injury. So much depth.

Not to mention the team he signed for is one where he can really shine, being one of the best clubs in the country, and it's also a club with proven youth development credentials.

Yep.

I wonder if Langerak gets the hint and decides to leave Dortmund.

Mat Ryan

Wilkshire Good Spiranovic Davison

Jedinak Milligan

Leckie         Cahill                Oar

Kennedy

Subs: Galekovic, Langerak, Franjic, McGowan, Wilkinson, Bresciano, Holland, McKay, Rogic, Sarota, Vidosic, Taggart

Cut: Birighitti, Brillante, Wright, Luongo, Bozanic, Troisi, Halloran

If we had a more experienced centre back to pair with Good I'd be more confident in the teams chances. Then we may have be able to hold out in games and use Kennedy as a target man with Cahill, Leckie and Oar potentially picking up some scraps to potentially nick a result. Being realistic though not being hammered in every game will be a good result.

If we had a more experienced centre back to pair with Good I'd be more confident in the teams chances.

Why does everyone seem to think Good will be first choice? He has played 7 league games in the last 2 seasons, 3 in league one and 4 in the SPL which isn't much better.

If anything, he should be the CB cut from the team. Seems everyone thinks Bailey Wright is most likely to be cut, but Bailey Wright has played more games this season than Curtis Good has in his entire professional career, I'd take him to the WC before I take Curtis Good.

If we had a more experienced centre back to pair with Good I'd be more confident in the teams chances.

Why does everyone seem to think Good will be first choice? He has played 7 league games in the last 2 seasons, 3 in league one and 4 in the SPL which isn't much better.

If anything, he should be the CB cut from the team. Seems everyone thinks Bailey Wright is most likely to be cut, but Bailey Wright has played more games this season than Curtis Good has in his entire professional career, I'd take him to the WC before I take Curtis Good.

Spira & McGowan will probably be the starting two.

Ange will want Davidson at LB and Franjic at RB, so that pushed McGowan to centre, and Spira has been in solid form.

Sainsbury would probably be right up there if he is fit enough, and Ange likes Curtis from all reports.

That suggests to me that Wright would be cut.

I was posting who i'd go with from the squad selected. No idea who will actually go. Sad fact of the matter is Davidson and Wilkshire are the only players not playing in a third rate league. The eredivisie isn't exactly known for producing quality defenders either, is a reason every game in the dutch league finishes 4-3. Find it laughable that Franjic is ahead of Wilkshire in the pecking order. Our lack of defensive talent is why I was surprised FFA went with AP, Ange's teams are great when they can dictate the play and maintain possession but I have extremely strong doubts that he has the ability to organise a team to defend against vastly superior individual talent. 

Even more laughable is that we will have only played Ecuador, Costa Rica and South Africa reserves as his only games pre world cup to try and sort it out. I don't doubt we will be better to watch against Asian teams through qualifying but this world cup is going to be a blood bath.

• Like 2

Good has been injured a lot for us since he arrived and with Pardew the clown in charge he has had next to zero game time, minus a few games in the SPL and a few reserve team run outs. I like the lad but he's been with Newcastle for 2 years and I've seen him play once. Surprised he even made the 30 tbh

• Like 1

So how do you guys think you will do tonight and in the WC in general?

Hopefully a comfortable win tonight although it'll be disjointed with the allowance of 6 subs throughout the game. 

Most Aussies have already written us off which is fair enough when you look at the quality in our group but I'm of the opinion we can steal a point or two.

Holland is fucking horrible on the ball, every single pass seems to be aimed at a teammates crotchal region. Keep it on the deck you mong.

Troisi doing a great job of doing fuck all, would rather see Luongo out there.

Franjic, Davidson, Leckie, Oar & Cahill all looking the part. Centre of the park is dogs balls.

• Like 2

Holland is fucking horrible on the ball, every single pass seems to be aimed at a teammates crotchal region. Keep it on the deck you mong.

90% of what he has done has been horrible and would put him up there with McGowan as worst on field, but then twice he has put in some absolutely fantastic passes.

Troisi doing a great job of doing fuck all, would rather see Luongo out there.

Agree.

Milligan and Leckie basically carrying the team.

I disagree, Oar, Franjic and Davidson have all been great too.

Milligan went a bit quite since my comment, but really seemed to be running the show with Leckie at the time. Davidson has been very good too, but if only he could cross, then we'd have a real talent on our hands. Oar has been good too. Franjic has been decent, doing his job, nothing exceptional.

McGowan, Wilkinson, Holland, Troisi out, Spiranovic, Bresciano, Jedinak and Sarota in once we hit Brazil.

Our only hope is to exploit the wings and get balls into Cahill. The midfield trio need to be tidy on the ball and maintain their structure. Milligan needs to partner Spiranovic, because McGowan and Wilkinson are shambolic. Other than that were not completely and utterly being prepared for a reaming.