Melbourne Football

Eli Babalj Appreciation..

Mozilla

i'm guessing the Modrinksi signing was due to the new coach coming in who was a serbian u-20 youth team coach iirc. If this coach plays favourites, then babalj could have a tough time breaking into the team. One of the main reasons babalj signed for red star was because their last coach had discussed with him the role he would play in the team and the fact that he would be given a good chance to play regularly which was good IMO, because we all know a player like babalj needs as much game time as possible so he can keep improving. With this new coach, things may have changed which isn't good at all.

If he's not playing regularly, we should get him back on loan tbh.

Just when u thought it was gone the "Loan Back To MH" Talk pops up again when u least expect it...

No way they'll loan him. He'll pinch hit, come on late as a target. Unlucky. If he had stayed and scored say 15 goals this season a bigger club could've come calling. I guess overall it's good for us coz we got some coin for him.

Exactly

And if his form was ever so bad that he needed to be loaned out, Balkan clubs dont waste their time loaning players to Australia.

They loan them to other clubs in the same region as its a lot keeper and as that way they are close by and easy to keep track of...

(We have to remember that Red Star are not the same club they were 10 or 15 years ago.)

Edited by cadete

Yesterday,Eli and his team-mate,Asamoah had a huge fight during training session. Seems that Eli blamed him for not passing the ball,and Asamoah replied "f*ck off". That's how it started.

Both will be fined,probably.

Sounds as if this Asamoah has been speaking with a certain Worm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ELI Babalj has endured a difficult four months since leaving Melbourne Heart, but hopes his first Socceroos call-up will trigger a change of luck.

The striker is one of three new faces in Holger Osieck's squad for tomorrow night's friendly against South Korea in Hwaseong, along with former Heart teammate Aziz Behich and Central Coast teenager Tom Rogic.

Two months into the pre-season with new club Red Star Belgrade, 20-year-old Babalj's $500,000 transfer almost collapsed when the Serbians failed to register him and delayed paying Heart an instalment.

Then the coach who signed him, Robert Prosinecki, departed on the eve of the season.

The new coach insisted on signing another two strikers, which has limited Babalj's game time, but he said he deserved a chance.

"It's been up and down. It all started with not being registered and not getting a clearance, so I missed a few early games," Babalj said.

"Then the coach left and it's been hard. I've deserved a bit more of a chance but that can change any minute and I've got to be ready.

"Hopefully I can use it (the call-up) to my advantage."

The tall striker has made five appearances as a substitute, including a Europa League qualifier against Bordeaux, and opened his account in his league debut last month. He bagged 10 A-League goals last season.

"It will be good for Holger to see what sort of player I am," he said. "Football changes quickly, so I'm not taking anything for granted."

Keen to see the lad fire a double!

Edited by LR9