Melbourne Football

Season Preparation

heart_fan10

Do we have a 'Sack Jason Hoffman' thread? If not it needs to be made!

Groenwald was shit but was miles better than the Hoff, Hoff maybe had a 25% passing efficiency!

D-Mac is a beast, hopefully Collingwood hang onto to Travis Cloke or they may come calling for Dylan, similar size and has kicked more goals this season.

Gerhardt played very well, a couple of times coughed up the ball but almost won it back instantly every time.

Kebabs were shiz, was looking for some garlic sauce or even Tzaziki (sp?) but no cigar.

Doubt any of you would have seen him but the linesman at the other end of the ground from you lads had the gayest prance on him I have ever seen. I barely watched any of the game coz I was just checking out this character and pissing myself laughing! Looked like he was half human, half gazelle and had a pole up his sphincter. BOG in my eyes!

• Like 1

I managed to catch some of training yesterday. I think everyone trained apart from Fred (shooting an ad for the A League), Germano and Bolton. About 3 or 4 youth/triallists as well and a couple of young keepers were additions to the seniors.

Interestilngly, a couple of Essendon coaches, Sean Wellman and Simon Goodwin, were there with our coaches taking a look at what we do. I think I read somewhere that we've been to Windy Hill as well recently so it looks like there's some cultural exchange going on. Which I think is a good thing. You can always learn something from other professional sporting clubs. And if you want to learn how to recruit average footballers, and destroy them physically, particularly their hamstrings, and therefore finish off seasons in a completely insipid and pathetic manner, Essendon would be on top of your list. (And I barrack for them!) Still, Wellman and Goodwin were damn good footballers, so it was good to see them there.

Anyway, it was friggin cold and windy. I saw them do a passing drill and then play a match, trying to play a high tempo quick passing game. Hayden Foxe does the yelling while JA strolls around with his arms crossed. Which is very similar to last year where Milicic would be more animated while JVS would do the cool crossed arm strolling. But Foxe can give a pretty fearsome spray when he wants to. Dugandzic and Garcia were a level above the rest IMO. I'm looking forward to seeing what Garcia can give us. My first impression is a player who as a midfielder, can assess situations quickly, has good vision, and picks good options. Tadic was ok but was labouring a bit. I don't think his fitness is quite up to it just yet and has some work to do. I heard later that it was a double session yesterday so it sounds like they're being worked pretty hard.

Edited by Sash

Interestilngly, a couple of Essendon coaches, Sean Wellman and Simon Goodwin, were there with our coaches taking a look at what we do. I think I read somewhere that we've been to Windy Hill as well recently so it looks like there's some cultural exchange going on. Which I think is a good thing. You can always learn something from other professional sporting clubs. And if you want to learn how to recruit average footballers, and destroy them physically, particularly their hamstrings, and therefore finish off seasons in a completely insipid and pathetic manner, Essendon would be on top of your list. (And I barrack for them!) Still, Wellman and Goodwin were damn good footballers, so it was good to see them there.

As long as the Wep isn't involved, we should be okay.

• 2 weeks later...

JA is confident enough and he says all the right things there. Still don't understand why if we're at full strength injury-wise we wouldn't play a front line of Dugandzic-Tadic-Garcia.

We aren't, Germano won't be ready to start the season, who is the next best option at DM after Gerhardt and Garcia.

Otherwise our legitimate best 11 is:

Bolton

Marrone - Colosimo - Gerhardt - Behich

Germano

Fred - Thompson

Dugandzic - Tadic - Garcia

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

Anyone else read the most recent issue of 442 Oz. They've done a big A-league preview and haven't given us a chance at all and all but guaranteed that victory will win the championship. It's was ridiculous.

"The expectations are Top 6. That's going to be a massive challenge. They'll struggle"

"It's difficult to see how they can improve with what most observers agree appears to be a weaker squad than last time around."

"If they are to surprise, then a couple of unkowns need to have breakthrough years"

Can't wait till we prove the doubters wrong.

• Like 1

Victory are paying $1.92 to beat us despite only beating us once in 6 attempts. They're lost fat boy, kewell and they're best player last season covic and all the sudden they're the best thing since slice bread. Ange factor is just being blow way out of proportion, victory doesnt have the Defensive cattle to win the league. On paper it's behind roar ccm jets and perth. Fuk em can't wait to laugh at em again.

Reviewing the betting websites is extraordinary. For the season we are ranked 8th or 9th to win the league on various sites with only Wanderers or Newcastle below us. Given I feel we have a stronger squad this year and showed last year we could play really good football at times, this does seem pretty harsh. It will come down to keeping our best team on the park, but the expectations for Sydney and the Visitors seem unbelievable. As suggested above, the Visitors defence is only marginally above a sieve, and a 38 yo striker (with the loss of Nicky Carle) is not a renaissance. Will enjoy watching it all unfold and unravel.

• Like 2

Is there any interest in tomorrows game against the Peninsula XI?

What was last years game like to attend? Is it worth going or a bit of a waste of time?

Of course it's worth going. Last year they gave us a hard time and we got up 1-0 courtesy of a Fred goal.

It's a chance to see the boys in action, probably some triallists as well, plus if you live south of the Yarra you don't get many opportunities to see Heart play down here.

The bloke who organizes this festival buys 500 junior memberships for the youngsters on the Peninsula. A fantastic commitment by just an ordinary bloke, so you're helping him out and the club at the same time.

• Like 2

What did people think of todays match against the Peninsula XI?

I thought Macallister and David Vrankovich stood out.

The bloke playing no. 7 seemed solid but needs to watch out kicking opposing players as the suspensions will add up and cost whichever team he is playing for. Who was wearing no.2, 3, 7, and 8 for us?

Well done to the Peninsula XI who defended well for most of the game and to their goalkeeper who pulled off a brilliant save (unfortunately only to later concede the second goal after spilling the first shot).

2 was terrible. No Garucchio from Epping game that's for sure!

3 I believe is petreski ... Any idea who the man mountain 17 was?

And vrankovic didn't play so not sure who you thought that was Peter.

Little Brodie Patterson was good, in 20 minutes showed he's a far better player than Hoffman. not much to take from it. Played the majority of the 2nd half with 10 & 9 players.

Who will start round one? D-Mac or Tadic?

Little Brodie Patterson was good, in 20 minutes showed he's a far better player than Hoffman. not much to take from it. Played the majority of the 2nd half with 10 & 9 players.

Going off the preseason it's looking like D-Mac will get the nod. Tadic hasn't really been getting much game time in these friendlies.

I would say that Golgol will get the nod ahead of Williams also.

If this is the case it will be good to have some decent strike weapons on the bench.

I agree no.2 was ineffective. 3 got stuck in and looked good down the left (not up to the standard of Behich though).

I was taking about the tall centre back who played out the full game. He seemed very solid both on the ground and in the air - I thought it was Vrankovich, so who is this man?

The centre-back who partnered Colosimo was Steven Gray.

Petreski easily the MOM. Close behind comes little Brodie Patterson.

No. 2 was Antonio Ivanisevic if I have the spelling correct. Been playing overseas. Australian of Croatian heritage. Agree with the rest of you, IMO he offers absolutely nothing.

At least we were trying to play the ball though the middle, but as always the first touch of our midfielders Groenewald, Kalmar and Hoffman was usually too heavy. Surprisingly, dare I say that of those three Hoffman was the pick.

Up front, well we've dealt with No. 2. Golgol showed some nice touches and scored a good goal. To me though he always looks as though he's playing well wihin himself and never gets above 75%. Macallister is just a carthorse. Should have scored towards the end in a one-on-one with the keeper.

Not sure what our commitment to this game really was. When Golgol had a bit of soreness in the second half we didn't have a sub on the bench to replace him and so we played the remainder of the game with 10 men.

I hope we don't stuff around trialling players and let better players slip though our fingers. We already said that we weren't offering Konyit a contract.

Edited by jw1739

Macallister is just a carthorse.

Exactly, that is why we signed him.

For when Tadic has runs out of legs he can come on and pass the ball of to Wingers like Mate.

(Better than Hoff coming on and passing the ball back 30m each time it goes near him.)

I thought the No. 5 in the Captain's Armband for the Home Side was really impressive. :D

• Like 2

Steven Gray impressed me, very physically strong player, I like it.

Phil Petreski was very good, doesnt really offer too much going forward, but very solid defensively. Always looking to pass backwards though, didnt like that. Could be useful for the first team as he's kind of the opposite of Behich.

Are we sure #17 wasnt Vrankovic? I just assumed it was as I dont really know what he looks like yet.

I thought Ivanisevic wasnt that bad, if he is being looked at for NYL team, he runs really weird and slow though.

Gol Gol is rubbish, decent with the set pieces but in open play he is rubbish.

Hoffman is also rubbish.

Josh is even more rubbish.

Macallister can be a handy player for us TBH, agree with cadete.

I was taking about the tall centre back who played out the full game. He seemed very solid both on the ground and in the air - I thought it was Vrankovich, so who is this man?

That was Gray. I agree.

Edited by Tesla

This is the first season i have been following the Heart this closely and it may just be me being naive but i dont understand why we havnt played with a real first team line up seemingly at all. even against Adelaide it was alot of trailist ect.

I get that we need to find out who is the best players to pick up to fill these roles, but where is the fluidity in the teams play going to come from?

Is it also that we just dont have enough teams to play against in Victoria? who will give us any sort of decent hit out?

Surley we could play some full hit outs and then back it up with some trialist hit outs with full squad memebers playing a half in these games, just want to see more serious hit outs with the seaosn less than a month out?

This is the first season i have been following the Heart this closely and it may just be me being naive but i dont understand why we havnt played with a real first team line up seemingly at all. even against Adelaide it was alot of trailist ect.

I get that we need to find out who is the best players to pick up to fill these roles, but where is the fluidity in the teams play going to come from?

Is it also that we just dont have enough teams to play against in Victoria? who will give us any sort of decent hit out?

Surley we could play some full hit outs and then back it up with some trialist hit outs with full squad members playing a half in these games, just want to see more serious hit outs with the seaosn less than a month out?

Long list of reasons. We haven't yet signed the minimum number of players for the senior squad, we've had a significant turnover of players, and a complete change in the coaching team, with two inexperienced men in the top two positions. The club is almost starting again from scratch. In terms of our preseason matches we seem to be keen to play local representative sides as part of our 'philosophy' of developing local youth. I would agree with you that these are not really suitable in having the team hit the ground running right from the start of the season. You could hardly say that yesterday's match was useful in that regard.

I'd say that these are the sorts of reasons why the pundits have us as a bottom four team this year.

We played a full strength side twice, both behind doors. One was against northcote a month ago (1-0) and one was a fortnight ago against Richmond (4-0).

The game against Adelaide was close to full strength, as was the knights game.

OK just most of the reports i have heard about have been regarding the trialist ect

Senior players playing halves, but if the main pre-season matches have been behind closed doors then this makes alot more sense.

Thanks

I'm curious. With the signing of Ben Garuccio we have declared that our squad is full even though we can sign another three players.

Is this a cost saving exercise? Are we seriously looking at promoting NYL players to the first team squad (JA has said that none of the NYL players from last season are up to the first team)? Are there a few suprise signings waiting in the wings (I am thinking of the likes of Brec when he comes off contract)?

Thoughts.

I'm curious. With the signing of Ben Garuccio we have declared that our squad is full even though we can sign another three players.

Is this a cost saving exercise? Are we seriously looking at promoting NYL players to the first team squad (JA has said that none of the NYL players from last season are up to the first team)? Are there a few suprise signings waiting in the wings (I am thinking of the likes of Brec when he comes off contract)?

Thoughts.

Last statement I read, several weeks ago and before the signing of Ben Garuccio, was that there were two signings to go, and that they were both to be designated youth players (to make the minimum of three such players in the senior squad).

By my reckoning there has to be one more signing to meet this required minimum.

The two additional spots 22 and 23 are deliberately being left vacant to that if a really desirable player becomes available even for a short contract then we can sign him. This to avoid what happened last year when we had a full list and this prevented us from signing Adrian Madaschi on a short-term contract until we could use the pretext of injury replacement.

Despite earlier denials I think we could still be looking at Josip Konyit, who didn't turn 20 until April this year so qualifies as youth. Patterson and Petreski were both in last year's NYL side - both very young - you saw all three at Langwarrin.

Just depends who gets the nod from JA I suppose, based on where he sees weaknesses.