Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart: The name, the colours & the logo - Are you happy with it?

FB.

151 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the name Melbourne Heart?

• Yes
    • No

Redlegs is a term used to refer to the class of poor whites that live on Barbados, St. Vincent, Grenada and a few other Caribbean islands. Their forebears came from Ireland, Scotland and the West of England. Many of their ancestors were transported by Oliver Cromwell. Others had originally arrived on Barbados in the early to mid 17th century as slaves or indentured servants. Small groups of Germans and Portuguese were also imported as plantation labourers. Many were described as "white slaves".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlegs

lol what? Not sure if want as nickname.

• Like 2

I can't seem to like the Redlegs as the nickname for a Football club, others seem to though, so I guess it's not that bad. Is it a VFL thing or am I just missing the whole point?

It's the old nickname of Melbourne FC (Demons). The oldest football club in Australia.

The name "Redlegs" was coined after a Melbourne official returned from a trip to England with one set of red and another of blue woollen socks. Melbourne wore the red set while the blue set were, allegedly, given to the Carlton Football Club. This may be the source of Carlton's nickname, 'The Blueboys'.
Edited by dRoy

It's the old nickname of Melbourne FC (Demons). The oldest football club in Australia.

yes it is, but we dont use it as much anymore.

a bit off topic but last year we gave up the name 'Demons' to attract the Chinese market or something....

calling MHFC the 'redlegs' would still be reasonably original.

Edited by nicotera5

Don't forget Bairnsdale FC red legs

Sounds like a place where one would find "Poor whites from below the hill", or maybe even a cupla "Edey white mice" minglin' with some "Beck-e Necks".

Redlegs is hardly as original as yer real salt lakes etc.

Redlegs, Anglo Australia says no.

Edited by Hendo

Didn't really read comment but

Colours are fine. Just don't mix the red with black ill never come back.

The name have gotten use to, never got a chance to vote. But would of like Melbourne city despite the local Argentinian club being called that.

Logo gotten use to as well but would keep the logo but put it in a roundel like buddy did in his jeresy design.

That's all

Logo in a roundel, current one a bit average.

Name- getting used to Heart, The Heart. (dislike people calling us 'Hearts'.

Could evolve into Sporting Melbourne (as prev mentioned a futsal + other sporting teams)

Colours much loved, being a Gunners and Syd Swans fan. Away strip needs change.

Dislike redlegs, not sure about Bats, but could grow on me.

The name is seriously embarrasing. All the other options were better. Just something simple like Melbourne City would be a far better image for the club, and could tap into the EPL fanboys' love of the City vs Utd rivalry. Change it now before it's too late. The logo is shit too but probably less important. Just looks like the designer found a way to put an M and an H together so they thought it was good. You don't even notice the H most of the time.

Colours are great.

People question the need for more traditional names/logos, and wonder why we look to Europe/South America for inspiration, but that is one of the main selling points this game has over other mainstream Australian sports. Trying to sell the sport (and our club) as modern and action packed when this isn't delivered on the field just isn't going to work.

Why would we want to tap into the Man City fans market, who are all bandwagoning flogs? Like the A-League needs more of this. Also at the expense of excluding United fans, who I think most couldn't fathom supporting a team called 'City'. They atleast have some loyalty and history though.

Do you guys realise how much shit we would get if we changed our name? Unfortunately we are stuck with it.

It feels like the kind of name a committee would come up with: appeal to women and families and the gay community etc...

Victory is just as stupid a name I might add... possibly more so...

The only thing that needs changing is the logo, Melbourne Heart as a brand has a lot of potential as long as isnt glamorized as a symbol of courage etc... And all that other irrelevant bs. If anything, Heart of Midlothian is a good example of how to make 'heart' a symbol that wont be insulted, but respected. I know I would not go to a heart supporter and take this piss at their name if I value my teeth.

I don't love any of our name, kit or logo.

The colours are good - I like them.

The name is okay - was terrible at first, but now I don't mind it.

The kits are fine - not great, but they do the job.

The logo is my biggest issue.

Being a crazy design addict, I can get very picky with things like this.

But even on a simpler note, the logo doesn't seem to agree with anything the club was trying to achieve early on.

The culture and tradition that the club has worked on trying to implement is completely ignored by the logo, which is the most modernist of modernists.

The M/H combination isn't terrible, but the modernised heart shape, pseudo-shield is terrible, and the overall look is quite poor imo.

In the end, none of these things diminish the club in my view, but they could all be improved.

• Like 1

It is, but we were supposed to be differentiating ourselves by being a more traditional football club. Then we go against that ideal with the two most visible aspects of the club.

How would have choosing City simply because several English clubs use it be more traditional? Ripping off European names is not traditional and is cringe worthy as fuck. Heart is still the best option I have heard.

I didn't like the name at first, but have grown to like it to the point where i would hate it if they changed it.

I love the colours, and i've always liked the logo. We don't reek of faux tradition, we are a 21st century club after all.

Changing anything bar the away kit would be a terrible move imo.

I didn't like the name at first, but have grown to like it to the point where i would hate it if they changed it.

I love the colours, and i've always liked the logo. We don't reek of faux tradition, we are a 21st century club after all.

Changing anything bar the away kit would be a terrible move imo.

Agree with everything here. I cringe everytime somebody calls for 'Sporting Melbourne' or 'Melbourne Athletic' which is a complete copy of what happens overseas.

We're our own club in our own country with our own culture, lets be proud of that.

I can see where people are coming from about getting used to it an all, but am i the only one that looks at the fixtures and sees "heart vs phoenix" (or some equally horrible name like roar) and thinks "uh Jesus. Its sounds like i am going to watch a game of netball". Its hard enough trying to convince people to let go of their preconceived ideas about soccer as it is without names like ours.

• Like 3

Do you think realistically the club will ever look into changing the name?

Look at this thread. I have counted maybe 2 or 3 people who actually like the name.

If that's truly reflective of the wider supporter base, then the club will have to look at changing the branding because if it isn't connecting with fans that follow the club, then it's not going to atract new fans aswell and I think we all agree attendances for our a club in a city like Melbourne could be ALOT better.

And again, I repeat, QLD Roar changed their name to Brisbane for great affect when their crowds were dropping a few seasons back when it was realised their club was not reflecting the identity of it's supporterbase. Since changing to Brisbane their club has gone from strength to strength, so there certainly is a precedent in this regard.

I don't know if Melbourne Heart will change their branding, but if the club wants to survivie and eventually thrive in the A-League maybe it might have too...

Edited by FB.

Yeahh.. I don't really enjoy the name Heart, but i guess i see the dilemma there are so many conflicting opinions about almost everything from the heart fan base. It's impossible to be able to please everyone collectively.

i think the charcoal away kit is the best option, i don't know if i am keen on a random colour e.g. green? But i think the club will keep it similar to what it is now with white and a bit of red.

Look at this thread. I have counted maybe 2 or 3 people who actually like the name.

If that's truly reflective of the wider supporter base, then the club will have to look at changing the branding because if it isn't connecting with fans that follow the club, then it's not going to atract new fans aswell and I think we all agree attendances for our a club in a city like Melbourne could be ALOT better.

And again, I repeat, QLD Roar changed their name to Brisbane for great affect when their crowds were dropping a few seasons back when it was realised their club was not reflecting the identity of it's supporterbase. Since changing to Brsibane their club has gone from strength to stregnth, so there certainly is a precedent in this regard.

I don't know if Melbourne Heart will change their branding, but if the club wants to survivie and eventually thrive in the A-League maybe it might have too...

I would be happy as hell if the club was willing to look into a name change, i know personally of people who think the name Heart is terrible, and the interest in coming to games is effected by who they would be supporting. the name heart does not cut it in anyway atm!

Some intresting fan designs for our club back from the the very original MHFC supporters forum. Some of you might recall some of these getting about during the early stages of the club.

melbournecity.jpg

flag1b.png

anglescriptwip14wy0.png

coverredbluegrey10cx4.jpg

melbournecity-1.png

pfcmredbluert9.png

pmcfcbluegreenhl3.png

pmufcblackgreencm0.png

pmablackredip9ya6.png

profile10n.jpg

profile11.jpg

On looking back at these, really like the Melbourne Athletic logo, if only it was in Red and White.