Melbourne Football

Disenchantment With The Emerging Terrace Culture

tachycardia

Good feedback, and much appreciated to be honest. This is good constructive criticism and we can use it to move forward to next season and beyond.

To be fair, I promise to never drink rum prior to a match as well. I think that, and the practice match I played earlier that day all combined to increase my belligerence to unacceptable levels.

• Like 1

My point of view...

I don't think Ando would need to swear if ppl knew why they are standing with the Yarraside.

It has been stated multiple times that IF YOU ARE STANDING WITH US, YOU JOIN IN WITH US! If you do not want to lose your voice, get drenched in beer and hug the person next to you after a goal is scored... then maybe you dont belong where we stand. A large group of ppl is what MVFC have. A United front is what the yarraside strives for!

As for people who start there own chants, if they aren't the ppl standing at the back, or the front, then they are flogs and we shouldn't listen to them.

Ando's actions are those of passion and commitment to a cause. It isn't his fault that he has to deal with people who are there only for the 'image'... instead, It's up to everyone who understands what needs to be done, to help him out and encourage the masses. Whether it be by screaming at them to fire the fuck up which is a proven method where i stand, or by singing that little louder to encourage the ppl next to you to join in.

As for being in sync, even if he isn't using hand actions, the ppl around the drums are the closest to the beat, surely we can use our common sense and look at them to get our clapping right. Echoes are a cunt of a thing i understand that too.

There is a misconception of the terrace in newcomers eyes. most are too shy to join in.

Im not having a go, just stating the obvious.

I think you missed my point, or I didn't make it clear enough.

The behaviours (swearing et al) are just symptoms, what is emerging is a class divide/authoritarian culture.

This isn't directed at Ando only, he his a visible figure, puts himself out there, and so I'm using him to illustrate and example, but it extends beyond him.

Australia is the ultimate utalitarian society, let's keep our terrace that way too.

I have to be honest and say Tachy raises some valid points.

I get probably the best view of the Terrace from where I stand and I have noticed this has been becoming a building concern amongst regular patrons throughout The Terrace.

Although I don’t know most of these people, and I will admit it annoys me when they vent frustration at my friends I agree that this probably needs to be discussed before things get into a less workable situation.

Points are true but nothing I hate more then seeing 5 guys and like only 1 of em getting into it and the others just standing with the arms crossed and looking like there not enjoying it why not just sit up the back or move across a bay I got 4 mates who are members and do that.

I understand what your saying tachy :D

I'm just giving my point of view... tempo control and all that works, but doesn't guarantee everyone's involvement, which is what im talking about.

And the lack of support (everyone's involvement and attentiveness to the capo) means frustration will occur. and i think that to eliminate this, it's not just the capo's duty but everyone who wears a yarraside scarf (not for decoration but because they believe in the terrace) to speak up.

Had a chat to Ando after the match on Saturday to do with this.. mainly about the younger ones getting an earful of abuse, as they'd have less chance of being able to cope, and more chance of being discouraged from coming. I know they're "only young", but they stil add numbers and atmosphere weekly.

I copped an earful from him on the mega, but wasn't fussed. Left the match with a busted jaw and sore as hell so he must have caught me at a quiet time and probably fair enough.

and to his defence, the rum certainly hadn't worn off by post match.. haha.

I'm starting to find it intimidating sitting anywhere near yarraside now. There just always seems to be trouble every week now whether its someone letting off a flare, people yelling abuse at us that do not want to stand even though we are not even in the active area or people giving security guards crap. It just seems to have got worse as the season went on. I appreciate what yarraside is about and everything and makes for great entertainment but it just seems to be getting a little out of control

I'm starting to find it intimidating sitting anywhere near yarraside now. There just always seems to be trouble every week now whether its someone letting off a flare, people yelling abuse at us that do not want to stand even though we are not even in the active area or people giving security guards crap. It just seems to have got worse as the season went on. I appreciate what yarraside is about and everything and makes for great entertainment but it just seems to be getting a little out of control

Try harder.

Good feedback, and much appreciated to be honest. This is good constructive criticism and we can use it to move forward to next season and beyond.

To be fair, I promise to never drink rum prior to a match as well. I think that, and the practice match I played earlier that day all combined to increase my belligerence to unacceptable levels.

im happy you gave it to that guy with the glasses though. he had it coming. didnt say a word for 90 minutes.

"if the team is losing 0-3, support them like they are going to win 4-3"

people don't sing even if we are winning 2-0 ffs.

I think Ando, as capo of this terrace has every right to be frustrated and get angry if people are not singing/chanting. If this means him yelling at people, so be it.

Don't think people understand how hard Ando's job is, and he is only trying to get 110% out of the terrace, so if he does give you a mouthful, cop it on the chin, move on and sing your fucking heart out.

• Like 1

people yelling abuse at us that do not want to stand even though we are not even in the active area

Although I am not always near the YS I find it hard to believe that you are being abused for sitting if not in the active area (active area being bays 16 and 17). Has anyone else seen this happening? I know that during some periods of the match people are encouraged to stand and make noise, but I have never seen it become abusive.

I'm starting to find it intimidating sitting anywhere near yarraside now. There just always seems to be trouble every week now whether its someone letting off a flare

Honestly don't know how you see letting off a flare as intimidating to you're own terrace, beats me.

I've been told to stand the f up several times in an aggressive manner by people in the active area. I just think this is unecessary when there is children around. Fair enough encouraging people to stand but swearing at them to is too harsh in my opinion. Also saw after the Sydney game several people from the terrace abusing the police at Richmond station. I just think our supporters are better than this and it just give the sport and the a league a bad name

Had a chat to Ando after the match on Saturday to do with this.. mainly about the younger ones getting an earful of abuse, as they'd have less chance of being able to cope, and more chance of being discouraged from coming. I know they're "only young", but they stil add numbers and atmosphere weekly.

I copped an earful from him on the mega, but wasn't fussed. Left the match with a busted jaw and sore as hell so he must have caught me at a quiet time and probably fair enough.

and to his defence, the rum certainly hadn't worn off by post match.. haha.

I have a vague recollection of this.

First time I've been pissed capoing. Never again...

Man cannot believe all of this criticism of the Terrance, personally i think we have the best Terrance in the competition. What the main problem with the terrance at the moment is that people are picking and choosing what chants they want to join in. If you are in the terrance you need to understand that for the full 90 minutes you are chanting. Many times throughout this season i have been involved in the terrance and other times i have not due to the fact i was drunk tired ext, but everytime i was in there i chanted my ass of until i couldn't speak anymore.

I love it every time we score a goal and people go nuts and through shit in the air. As long as people aren't through glass and shoes at other people i think everytime somebody throws something in the air the terrance just seems to lift a bit. People just need to realise that this isn't an afl cheer squad where the only thing you have to do is chant (your teams name here) clap clap clap every so now and again, you need to be vocal as fuck for the entire 90 miniutes and if you can't do that than you can get out.

• Like 1

im happy you gave it to that guy with the glasses though. he had it coming. didnt say a word for 90 minutes.

To be fair. He was wearing a Clipsal 500 polo shirt. Which meant he was socially retarded. Deaf. And he also had to hands. Well I never saw them leave his tummy. Crossed very tightly.

To be fair. He was wearing a Clipsal 500 polo shirt. Which meant he was socially retarded. Deaf. And he also had to hands. Well I never saw them leave his tummy. Crossed very tightly.

you were two rows in front of me and when i saw you telling him off, i joined in. his friend made minimal noise too, they must be bread that way....

Edited by bazzatron
partial post off topic.

Man cannot believe all of this criticism of the Terrance, personally i think we have the best Terrance in the competition. What the main problem with the terrance at the moment is that people are picking and choosing what chants they want to join in. If you are in the terrance you need to understand that for the full 90 minutes you are chanting. Many times throughout this season i have been involved in the terrance and other times i have not due to the fact i was drunk tired ext, but everytime i was in there i chanted my ass of until i couldn't speak anymore.

I love it every time we score a goal and people go nuts and through shit in the air. As long as people aren't through glass and shoes at other people i think everytime somebody throws something in the air the terrance just seems to lift a bit. People just need to realise that this isn't an afl cheer squad where the only thing you have to do is chant (your teams name here) clap clap clap every so now and again, you need to be vocal as fuck for the entire 90 miniutes and if you can't do that than you can get out.

Roff, Terrance ,Terrace*