Melbourne Football

Western Sydney

LR9

yeah ok

still how can he be signed when they already have 5 visa players? unless there is some loop hole or they piss off one of their foreigners?

ahhh they are owned by the FFA, that's it. clubs will now be able to sign 6 visa players, will be announced in the next hour by FFA

However, his agent has been in contact with representatives regarding a possible stint

Does this hint at a guest appearance to anyone else?

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/former-germany-captain-michael-ballack-in-talks-to-join-a-league-newcomers-western-sydney-wanderers/story-e6frf4gl-1226477560372#ixzz26udhHqR5

As I understand it:

Heart do not have and never have had a marquee player. Colosimo is our highest paid player (allegedly $214,000 p.a as against Fred's $200,000).

Marquee is defined by the limit of the salary cap, not by any other quality.

Once the total wages bill exceeds the salary cap then one player must by definition be a marquee. That player is either defined as Australian, or is a Visa player. The club can then have one further marquee player. If the first is Australian then the second must be a Visa player, and vice versa.

As the rules stand at the moment, marquee players are bound by the squad number regulations. That is they must be included in the maximum of 23 senior players, and an international marquee must be counted as one of the five Visa players. However, on the latter, there is some Twittering going on that FFA might be unilaterally changing the latter rule (to suit WSW of course, the club it owns!).

Guest players are not covered by the above.

All in all this scrambling around for marquee players makes me think that FFA's initial restrictions on such things to protect the financial viability of the clubs were not so misplaced after all. I don't wholly agree with Scotty Munn's views on the marquee subject, but on balance I'd much rather give my support to a club that finds and develops and then gives a career-making opportunity to players such as Babalj, Good, and Hamill, than to a club that provides a pre-retirement bonus to a succession of ageing overseas players who don't care a stuff about this country and never will.

I'll take a Ben Garuccio, Phil Petreski, Brodie Patterson or a Jeremy Walker over an Emile Heskey any day of the week.

Edited by jw1739

Does this hint at a guest appearance to anyone else?

Read more: http://www.foxsports...2#ixzz26udhHqR5

Whether or not this Ballack thing proves true, I cannot believe this has not been raised yet from that Fox Sports article (and not just for the poor use of the English language):

"It is understands that the other A-League clubs made a remarkable offer in July to allow the Wanderers short-term dispensation to sign a small number of extra overseas players, given the tightness of the market in Australia."

Whilst I would love to see as many quality players as we can in the A-League (preferably not wearing Navy though) it seems like a load of crap to me that WSW be given this kind of concession. Just because the FFA decided to bring them in in a ridiculously hastened fashion the rest of the clubs dole out concessions to them? My club alone already released two local players from contracts to give them to WSW without the usual compensation for player release (and yes, insert evil laugh here because of the calibre of player they took off our hands!).

If I were a New Zealand Knights, Gold Coast United, NQ Fury or even Heart supporter I would be going nuts asking why this club gets so many concessions where others didn't. Yet more evidence of the Mickey Mouse nature of the administration of our sport.

Edited by Brodebec
  • Like 4

Or maybe they're learning their lessons on what it takes for these expansion teams to succeed. While there is obvious competition, the clubs know that their future rests almost entirely in the success of the league as a whole.

If this was necessary for Western Sydney to get up and running then surely it could have been applied to all clubs.

Edited by Brodebec

jw1739, i think your post is fairly spot on but I do beleive the international marquee spot can be used for an Aussie as well, thus both marquee spots being taken by Australians

Well, you could have me there. I won't argue. It's just bloody hard to find a clear set of 'official rules' around these things.

Also, you can have a marquee even if you're not over your salary cap AFAIK.

No. Although conventional wisdom has it that 'marquee player' equals 'big-name player' that's not what defines the term under FFA rules. A club does not have a marquee until it breaches the salary cap.

Edited by jw1739

It is believed the Wanderers rejected the approach from Ballack's Australian-based representatives because they were not convinced of Ballack's condition and commitment.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/wanderers-reject-ballack-20120919-26726.html#ixzz26zh5gsCg

Must be pretty out of shape? or do the FFA just want to run the club on a shoe string budget?

A FEAR that Western Sydney Wanderers could turn into the whipping boy of the competition is the reason behind a decision to grant the A-League's newest club dispensation to sign six foreign players instead of the mandated five.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/wanderers-special-deal-to-avoid-gws-like-thumpings/story-fn63e0vj-1226480586830

Interesting. Peter Sidwell is certainly a generous man. I wonder what would have happened had the same concession been made to North Queensland and Gold Coast, and particularly Heart. Would any have taken advantage of the concession, and might it have made a difference?

• Like 1

Will play 4 games, dominate, then out for the rest of the season with multiple injuries. Injury prone + strayan physicality won't bode well for genius.

Slight waste of money considering Ogasawara was offering his services for less to A-League clubs last year, no takers. Sign Maycon instead.

Anyway, the signings of Takahashi and Nagai are promising, now there is a chance to get some decent youngsters from Japan and sell them on to Europe, if we can sell australia to em' right.

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by Hendo

Will play 4 games, dominate, then out for the rest of the season with multiple injuries. Injury prone + strayan physicality won't bode well for genius.

Slight waste of money considering Ogasawara was offering his services for less to A-League clubs last year, no takers. Sign Maycon instead.

Pretty sure Ogasawara would have been asking for more than a one year contract worth around $50,000.

Edited by cadete

Here's a new one for them. (Likes to whoever knows this (...without doing a google search))

'Ono'!

Look at who they let in the back door,

From long beach to brooklyn they know,

We rock from the east to west coast,

Queens salute to pharoahe,

Step away from the mic they too cold,

The funk might fracture your nose, nose, nose, nose...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So an average of one capo for 8 people? Had like 6 guys at the front looking back.

Any "original" chants? Maybe something that's new to the A-League?

We have 2 capos.. Ones in croatia with torcida atm,

We are still tweaking chants and making adjustments and getting them right so bankstown game was more a trial one for things and getting dale cavese down pat.. Which to my ears sounds almost perfect (bar the drums as we only bought a bass drum to the game) though we have the vak dale beat down :)

:o they wouldnt dare...

I dont hear anything?

Original chants will come, we are working on them.. First we have to see how the terrace is gonna be in the first couple rounds.. Lets keep it mind its only the pre season of our first season, so we will only grow and the chants will come with time.

Another thing for our preseason s1 we are doing better than we expected..

Pretty sure the only one thats "generic" is dale cavese/boca

Oh and tifosi ;)