Melbourne Football

The future of Gold Coast United

True Until I die

Whether we like Clive Palmer or not, the guy has put millions into GCU (as do all the other syndicates and owners) in order to give us an A-League, and the FFA is throwing a tantrum over a few ill-chosen words and a slogan on a shirt.

On the face of it his tantrums aren't really that much are they? But the FFA are (rightly) concerned that he is diverting attention away from a very successful season at a pivotal time and is deliberately doing what he can to damage the FFA (and unfortunately by association the game) in order to improve his bargaining positioning. If you ignore his posturing he'll just up the ante with his next move. i reckon he wants the FFA to buy him out and this was his way of making it happen.

I have some sympathy for Palmer's position, but he lost me in his manner towards the fans (crowd cap) and towards the game. The FFA are trying to protect the game i think, but time will tell if it was the best way to do it. I'd be happy if this was the end of the train wreck, but alas we all know its just the start of the next round.

Oh Palmer really irks me when he takes his AVERAGE crowd and compares it to our WORST crowd (worst because it was against a club who not only have no supporters but are also last on the table and had a child named as captain), which he happily lops 950 off (ie 20%) and uses that to justify why no one comes to his teams games. The truth is GCU had a decent following up until he told the supporters they weren't welcome at the game. Perhaps he was unaware that these people could get a "free" (ie club pays) train trip with their ticket to a Roar game as well, where they would be welcome. Guess where his fan base went?

Update - Palmer has announced a break away league "Football Australia", run by Archie Fraser (can't believe fraser agreed to be involved). Standby for more damage to the game- Super League set Rugby League back about 15 years. Oh no way he start planning this Wednesday!

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

to be honest, if he kicked out GC, fuck them, and made up a league of existing australian teams with fans and history, that would be awesome

edit: he'd probably just take those teams down with him though... so best he doesn't

Edited by peted27

And look what I just found.... Palmer wants to replace FFA with his own new body called "Football Australia" (FA)

"organisation was created with the aim of replacing FFA."

"What does Football Australia plan to do? It plans to publish papers, hold press conferences, seek opinions, lobby the government, lobby the FFA for a better outcomes for a better outcome for Australians and the game in Australia," Palmer told the press conference."

http://www.foxsports...l-1226286421579

Edited by Radziminski1994

Time for a *Clive Palmer Crew*

Amazing man.

Would husband. If he lost 50kg.

I'm worried that Palmer might fuck up the A-league in a long term.

I think FFA are doing a world class job of this at the moment, dont think even the great Clive Palmer would be able to do it better.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Yeah just hoping he doesn't influence the A-league clubs to side with him, if some or maybe one club might, it could cause like the domino theory or just tear each other a part basically. If FFA would make the slightest of mistakes or bring little dissatisfaction to other clubs, I would assume that Palmer would probably go all out attempting to bury the FFA and unleash a new wave of propaganda.

Honestly the only problem I see with this whole thing is that palmer is just doing it because of his ego. He is just looking to fuck over FFA, and the problem with that is he will eventually get over it, whether successful or not.

I dont have a problem with him creating this organisation or trying to fuck over FFA, its the fact that he wouldnt be committed to turning this whole thing into a positive.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Yeah this whole thing isn't particularly good for Australian football, but its not Clive's fault. The man has reacted to losing millions of dollars due to the FFA. This has all happened as a result of FFA managing the A-League poorly. Clive is just someone with the balls, and more importantly, the ability to call FFA out on their shit and try make them accountable.

Honestly, who is happy with how the FFA have run the league?

They just pissed off the wrong person this time, and now the consequences will be felt. If it destroys football in this country, its FFA and not Clive that done it.

• Like 1

Yeah this whole thing isn't particularly good for Australian football, but its not Clive's fault. The man has reacted to losing millions of dollars due to the FFA. This has all happened as a result of FFA managing the A-League poorly. Clive is just someone with the balls, and more importantly, the ability to call FFA out on their shit and try make them accountable.

Honestly, who is happy with how the FFA have run the league?

They just pissed off the wrong person this time, and now the consequences will be felt. If it destroys football in this country, its FFA and not Clive that done it.

couldnt agree more.... but, i dunno, maybe a poorly managed league is better than no league...

This does sound very similar to the beginning of rugby league's "Super League".

My brother in law is a massive Newcastle Knights supporter and has been since before their inception into top level. If you mention the words "Hunter Mariners" in his presence, his reaction is very similar to that of a character out of Harry Potter when someone says "Voldemort."

"Them were dark days, Harry! Dark days! We dare not utter those words!"

This does sound very similar to the beginning of rugby league's "Super League".

Well that's what I was thinking but it appears we are mistaken. At the press conference Palmer announced that Football Australia would be essentially a public opinion lobby group. Whilst he didn't say it it seems his plan is to have an organisation that does what he's been doing the last few weeks- going around highlighting all the failures of the FFA. If done well could be useful, but even if done badly still couldn't do the damage of a breakaway league.

This is what will happen, Palmer will get all the old NSL clubs together and the strongest state league clubs and form a league.

Is it the worst idea in the world? no.

Will it work? We'll wait and see

This guy is 68-0 in his court appearances, the FFA you'd hope are pretty solid because he will eat them alive, literally

Well that's what I was thinking but it appears we are mistaken.

What I meant was that the Super League started because a disgruntled rich man didnt like the way the game was run so he slowly took over and destroyed it. It was all done in the name of profit and am not convinced by Palmer's flip flop. "I didnt say I dont like the game, I said I dont like the way the game is run in this country" or what ever it was is absolute bullshit.

Yes, the FFA have fucked up A LOT but if Palmer is involved in football at the top level, I am predicting he is going to absolutely destroy the game.

Edited by KSK_47

Have a read here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-01/palmer-initiates-independent-football-body/3863084?section=qld

Shahanga, I take all the points you have made. I guess my point is that whatever Lowy has said and done, Buckley has said and done, Palmer has said and done, whoever is right and whoever is wrong... for two multi-billionaires to squabble openly and publicly in an unseemly way with just four matches of a season to go is just brainless. After season has finished, yes, perhaps. But now - definitely no. If the remaining matches are not played, then either gifting teams a walkover or deducting the points already gained in matches with GCU will render this year's competition a sham.

As a matter of fact I don't think Palmer can wreck the game in Australia. A rebel administrative body would not be able to be a member of FIFA or the AFC, and no rebel league would survive.

A rebel administrative body would not be able to be a member of FIFA or the AFC, and no rebel league would survive.

Its been about ten years since I last read Sheelas, Wogs and Poofters, so I am sketchy on the details, but didnt we already have a league not recognised by FIFA in the 60s or something? Didnt it end up that we got some pretty big names out here? They wanted out of their contract (but still wanted to play football) and Aust clubs didnt have to pay transfer fees (because we ere essentially a rebel league in the eyes of fifa).

Hmmmm...

Edited by KSK_47

Players in a rebel league wouldnt be able to play international football AFAIK, so that would limit who can be attracted, and more importantly, if some important NT players go to the rebel league that would not be good for Australian football.

As for transfer fees, they wouldnt have to pay them under FIFA laws but pretty sure a player's old club will be able to take legal action against the player for breach of contract which would mean players either want the new club to pay any costs associated with that or they dont come, thereby there is still a transfer fee of sorts. It would probably be lower than an actual transfer fee though in most cases.

Dont really want a rebel league being started and I doubt thats Clive's intentions. Would be taking it to a whole other level if he creates a rebel league.

Lets be honest here, before this the league was pretty much fucked unless a new TV deal came in ASAP.

After this, the league is fucked unless a new TV deal comes in ASAP.

Rebel league is highly unlikely.

So overall, dont really see anything changed apart from this putting some pressure on FFA which isnt a bad thing.

His intentions are to fuck over FFA cause they fucked him over. But his organisation isnt going to takeover from FFA, the government and FIFA aren't going to back Clive's organisation over FFA. So he has no power to really do anything except point out the shit job FFA are doing.

As long as a rebel league isn't created I'm not worried, I'm just chilling and being entertained by the show at the moment. Clive has definitely delivered some entertainment.

The worst I see now is him winning a big law suit against FFA (or it being settled for a chunk of cash) which puts FFA in trouble, but if the law is in his favour for him to win the court case well thats not his fault, its the FFA's own fault and they will suffer the consequences. It is what it is.

I think you are right Tesla. I cant see a rebel leauge forming out of any of this and I cant see Palmer wanting to invest in the long term future of the match either.

Even if he has no legal grounds, Palmer will probably just keep taking the FFA to court until they eventually just run out of money.

Even if he has no legal grounds, Palmer will probably just keep taking the FFA to court until they eventually just run out of money.

Good point, but you'd like to think FFA have enough money to get them through any legal action, and in the end AFAIK loser can be forced to pay costs, especially if their challenge is fairly baseless (not a legal expert, so maybe BH or cadete can comment).

Maybe some good will come out of this in the end. There will be some short-term pain - the loss of GCU, which will impact on its players and staff and a few fans, possibly some distortion of this year's final ladder, and similar. Benefits will be the likely acceleration of a second Sydney club, and, if Palmer keeps to his word, some external monitoring of the FFA, which has hardly covered itself in glory these past two years.

The worst part is probably going to be the FFA wasting a lot of money on court costs, money that will therefore be siphoned away from football.

It could all have been handled oh-so-differently.

• Like 1

It could all have been handled oh-so-differently.

With you on that. I imagine Clive isn't the easiest to deal with, but SURELY it could have been handled better.

Been thinking about his "think tank". The funny thing is there is already one in existence- its called Craig Foster (who most of us have tired of listening bang on about this stuff).

FFA acted correctly. Palmer had to go. With his "I can do whatever the f#$% i want" egomanic attitude, he personalised issues and started a war with the executives of the FFA and was deliberatley sabotaging the league and the game. There was no telling how much damage he would have wreaked over the last few weeks of the season if the FFA waited till seasons end to make their decision.

The FFA would not have revoked his licence without sound legal advice and they will not fear him in court. Given Clive's ego and the possibility that he will lose at court due to his unquestionable breaches of licence, I have my doubts that he will challenge.

To those who think he has raised some sound points about the state of the game, this may be the case, but it doesnt matter because it is impossible to deal with someone like him. He is a bully and he will always he think he is right and that he knows better than everyone else. With regards to the clubs and their owners, issues should always be raised proffesionally in an environment of respect and partnership.

It is terrible for the A-League, the people of the Gold Coast and their players. I compare this situation with the stricken Italian Cruise Liner that crashed into the shore in Europe a little while back - Palmer is the captain (a know it all who is unprepared to take responsibilty for his actions), the players are the crew (a bunch of guys who run ths ship and did their best but were ultimately ruined by the actions of their leader) and the fans are the passangers (who just picked the wrong cruise). The A-league is like the cruise industry ... ultimately tarnished by this whole mess...

back to business though...we should go after Thwaite

The FFA trusted Palmer with a License he paid good money for and also pumped millions into club even if he had a shit management team of the club. The FFA instead of settling the dispute in court, decided to deprive the football fans of the Gold Coast of a team and did not let them stick out the season is fucking bullshit and they should all be fired for the serial misconducts and the stupendous decisions they have made.

EDIT

- FFA grassroots policy is corrupt and horrendous

- FFA personnel are among the highest paid sport executives in Australia, while clubs struggle.

- FFA have made big money blunders when it could of been invested more wisely

Edited by Attila
  • Like 1