Melbourne Football

The future of Gold Coast United

True Until I die

anyone think Heart should look at him as the replacement for JvS??

Edit: 'Miron Bleiberg Quits'Topic Moved

Big NO from me. Have posted why elsewhere, think we can do better basically, although the man has both my sympathy and my respect for the diginity in which he has conducted himself this year.

This whole GCU is quite the train wreck though isn't it! Total disaster, but fascinating to watch. I think it was actually good for Miron that they say they've sacked him. Doesn't hurt his reputation at all and legally he should be in a better position to get paid out, or claim wrongful dismissal.

I'm not sure if rushing a new team into Sydney in 6 months is achievable or not- be a big ask and the game can't really afford another new club stuff up.

To think when Palmer first appeared on the scene and was doing things like funding a scouting trip to brazil, letting the team use his jet to play a pre-season game in New Caledonia and signing Jason Culina, I thought he'd be really good for the game. Changed my mind though when he went into crowd cap mode. To me his first wrong step was to appoint his man Mensink as CEO. Needed a sports administrator there, not a mining guy.

I don't think they will fold- Clive Palmer is too rich, thats what made them stay around after last season instead of NQF. FFA wants money, Palmer has money and He's clearly got no problem with splashing his cash around so the FFA will keep them in for the money. Same sort of situation with us, FFA will never let us fold because they make so much money out of derbys and the league needs 2 melb teams, even if we get shite crowds.

Clive is claiming on TWG that the FFA asked him if "He wants to throw $5m into a new Sydney team and abandon GC" - he reckons he said no.. i personally think the FFA dont want clive going anywere because he is so fucking rich, so maybe that will mean that GC dont go anywhere?

You dont want clive as FFA ceo.

He has some good points , but 50% of what he speaks is crap as well.

I just want what will make the comp stronger - most likely that is A-league breaking ties with FFA.

It appears FFA is milking the league for all its worth, so they wont want to let go either - who would let go of a 100m revenue PA without a fight.

The next few months should be interesting, as we do know that many owners share Clives view without being as outspoken.

I could imagine, this one will go the same way F1 has gone. Half the owners will rebel and join forces , threaten to start up a renegade league and in the end negotiate a better deal and operatiing conditions and in the end it will still be run under the FFA banner.

We could say the FFA is like Bernie Eccelcston ....

Fuck palmer. Cunt only 'has the balls' to speak out as he can't be touched due to his multitude of money that could be turned towardsendless litigation. Every legal battle he has fought he has won (68-0), and not because he was in the right but in the vast majority of the proceedings he has delayed, appealed and stalled until the opponent has discontinued proceedings due to legal fatigue or lack of funding. This is exaclty the sort of Person i would NOT want running the league I follow.

It's all well and good to say 'oh he speaks his mind. He's got more guts than Fuckley' but the point is that he only does so because he is an egotistical, megalomaniac with money too burn. NOT BECUASE HE LOVES OUR GAME. Get that right. GC United is a play thing for him that is slowly becoming less and less interesting so he is acting out and toying with HIS football side to see what he can to drum up interest-wise in the FRANCHISE(not team. Team's have players with more than 1year contracts ;) ) and find some fun. If you believe Clive Palmer's heart is either in GCU or Football as a whole, you are deluded.

There's also talk of this gluttonous, narcisist trying to form a breakaway league. Regarless of your opinion of the FFA's administration of our league, a rebel league headed by Palmer would be the most toxic outcome for Football in 2012. We cannot garner a sizeable enough market share at this Juncture with one league, how would having two leagues or the beheading of one to form another help this? Not to mention Palmer's inevitable loss of interest in a new league which would, after all is said and done, put football back another 20 odd years in this country.

Fuck Palmer.

• Like 1

Palmer is a cancer for football in this country. He is a sad indictment of the game in certain area's of this country.

For people saying "Palmer for FFA CEO

Kindly fuck off.

"I don't even like the game."

"I think it's a hopeless game. Rugby League is much better game."

We need passion for the sport and community connection and understanding for our club's to be successful.

Palmer is not that. They didn't even have a regional game, ffs.

Braveheart's post really summarises it well.

In terms of GCU surviving, I'd say very unlikely considering there is absolutely shit support. It's not like many people will be genuinely disheartened by the departure of the club. The crowds are horrible and I can't see any motivation for the FFA to push hard to keep this franchise alive.

Fuck palmer. Cunt only 'has the balls' to speak out as he can't be touched due to his multitude of money that could be turned towardsendless litigation. Every legal battle he has fought he has won (68-0), and not because he was in the right but in the vast majority of the proceedings he has delayed, appealed and stalled until the opponent has discontinued proceedings due to legal fatigue or lack of funding. This is exaclty the sort of Person i would NOT want running the league I follow.

Nothing wrong with playing the system, thats the world we live in.

It's all well and good to say 'oh he speaks his mind. He's got more guts than Fuckley' but the point is that he only does so because he is an egotistical, megalomaniac with money too burn.

Whats wrong with that?

NOT BECUASE HE LOVES OUR GAME. Get that right. GC United is a play thing for him that is slowly becoming less and less interesting so he is acting out and toying with HIS football side to see what he can to drum up interest-wise in the FRANCHISE(not team. Team's have players with more than 1year contracts ;) ) and find some fun. If you believe Clive Palmer's heart is either in GCU or Football as a whole, you are deluded.

And Ben Buckley's heart is in football? No. The FFA CEO is paid to do a job, not to love the game.

There's also talk of this gluttonous, narcisist trying to form a breakaway league. Regarless of your opinion of the FFA's administration of our league, a rebel league headed by Palmer would be the most toxic outcome for Football in 2012. We cannot garner a sizeable enough market share at this Juncture with one league, how would having two leagues or the beheading of one to form another help this? Not to mention Palmer's inevitable loss of interest in a new league which would, after all is said and done, put football back another 20 odd years in this country.

Strong knowledge of how free market capitalism works. Competition is a good thing, its how you get the best result from your resources. In the long term it might be bad, but in the long run the result would be a stronger league. From the point of view of whats best for Australian football, a breakaway league wouldn't be a bad thing. I would just hope MHFC choose the right one.

ACCC needs to be called in on the Qld government for their abuse of their monopolistic position on stadiums suitable for top level sports in the state. The ridiculous amount GC get charged for stadium rental is part of the reason shit like the cap and high ticket prices exist.

The ridiculous amount GC get charged for stadium rental is part of the reason shit like the cap and high ticket prices exist.

What I don't understand is they spend taxpayers money to build these things and then charge so much no one can afford to use them? What's that about? (Suncorp is the same- I know in the first stadium deal Roar had they allegedly needed an average crowd of 11000 just to break even.) Surely you spend taxpayers money so taxpayers can benefit from it?

Roar were getting the 2nd largest crowds in the league and still losing money on the gate (so much for the "supporters pay your wages" concept). No wonder they seriously entertained moving to a 2nd rate facility (Ballymore) in order to save money. At the same time you had (still have?) the FFA pocketing all the cash from merchandise sales - now a big money spinner for clubs around the world. Small wonder all clubs except one have gone bankrupt at least once in the A League's short life.

The Crawford report recommended that the new league be run by an independent commission. The Smith report said it was too early for that, though the Smith report, as presented to the public, was a light weight document full of conclusions stated as facts and pretty pictures. The end results was that we the public have no basis in assessing whether the report was accurate or not. (I assume Smith had much more substantial documentation associated with it, otherwise the government should demand their fee back). The viability of the A League continues to concern me and I must say I'm yet to be convinced that the FFA is doing enough to assist that.

What I don't understand is they spend taxpayers money to build these things and then charge so much no one can afford to use them? What's that about? (Suncorp is the same- I know in the first stadium deal Roar had they allegedly needed an average crowd of 11000 just to break even.) Surely you spend taxpayers money so taxpayers can benefit from it?

Roar were getting the 2nd largest crowds in the league and still losing money on the gate (so much for the "supporters pay your wages" concept). No wonder they seriously entertained moving to a 2nd rate facility (Ballymore) in order to save money. At the same time you had (still have?) the FFA pocketing all the cash from merchandise sales - now a big money spinner for clubs around the world. Small wonder all clubs except one have gone bankrupt at least once in the A League's short life.

The Crawford report recommended that the new league be run by an independent commission. The Smith report said it was too early for that, though the Smith report, as presented to the public, was a light weight document full of conclusions stated as facts and pretty pictures. The end results was that we the public have no basis in assessing whether the report was accurate or not. (I assume Smith had much more substantial documentation associated with it, otherwise the government should demand their fee back). The viability of the A League continues to concern me and I must say I'm yet to be convinced that the FFA is doing enough to assist that.

I would suggest that the facts are that almost every single club is playing at a ground that is too big for the crowds that attend. The possible exceptions being Adelaide United and Hindmarsh, and Melbourne Victory and AAMI Park (plus Docklands when they know they will exceed the capacity of AAMI Park).

Heart has an attendance cap of sorts (20,000) in that Level 3 is not open except for the home derbies. This is done to minimise the costs of hiring the ground (cleaning, security etc.). Quite what would happen if more than 20,000 rolled up unexpectedly for a match - my guess is that the excess might even be locked out. It would not actually surprise me if the North End were to be closed off in the future if our attendances do not rise.

We are caught between a rock and a hard place on this. The FFA insists (and I suggest, quite rightly) that A-League grounds have proper corporate and media facilities, and decent amenities for players, officials and spectators. The FFA is also anxious to stay clear of 'old sokkah' grounds. This pretty well forces the A-League into a position of having to accept what the various State governments are prepared to offer.

IMO this could well be the most important issue that the League faces. Without a home ground of your own you are severely limited on having any other income streams (bar, cafe, restaurant, function rooms etc). You are also subject to the whims of whoever owns and manages the ground you play at - Heart has already experienced being locked out of AAMI Park.

The way forward is complex and difficult. But IMO unless we face up to this issue, we will continue to bleed money. Much as we might like to abuse Palmer and Tinkler and co. we need a combination of them plus limited (say 40%) community ownership of clubs to ever break out of the stranglehold that governments have on us.

Edited by jw1739

I would suggest that the facts are that almost every single club is playing at a ground that is too big for the crowds that attend. The possible exceptions being Adelaide United and Hindmarsh, and Melbourne Victory and AAMI Park (plus Docklands when they know they will exceed the capacity of AAMI Park).

Heart has an attendance cap of sorts (20,000) in that Level 3 is not open except for the home derbies. This is done to minimise the costs of hiring the ground (cleaning, security etc.). Quite what would happen if more than 20,000 rolled up unexpectedly for a match - my guess is that the excess might even be locked out. It would not actually surprise me if the North End were to be closed off in the future if our attendances do not rise.

We are caught between a rock and a hard place on this. The FFA insists (and I suggest, quite rightly) that A-League grounds have proper corporate and media facilities, and decent amenities for players, officials and spectators. The FFA is also anxious to stay clear of 'old sokkah' grounds. This pretty well forces the A-League into a position of having to accept what the various State governments are prepared to offer.

IMO this could well be the most important issue that the League faces. Without a home ground of your own you are severely limited on having any other income streams (bar, cafe, restaurant, function rooms etc). You are also subject to the whims of whoever owns and manages the ground you play at - Heart has already experienced being locked out of AAMI Park.

The way forward is complex and difficult. But IMO unless we face up to this issue, we will continue to bleed money. Much as we might like to abuse Palmer and Tinkler and co. we need a combination of them plus limited (say 40%) community ownership of clubs to ever break out of the stranglehold that governments have on us.

Your suggesting teams build/acquire their own stadiums, sure that would be nice, but then you say that there should even be partly community owned. Even when fully owned by a billionaire, building a ground to A-League standards is not going to happen. If there is also community ownership then its pretty much impossible.

Everybody wants community/supporter/member/etc. owned clubs, but there is a reason it hasnt happened, and probably wont be happening anytime soon in the A-League. And if it does, they will not own their own stadium for a very very very long time.

Edited by Tesla

Your suggesting teams build/acquire their own stadiums, sure that would be nice, but then you say that there should even be partly community owned. Even when fully owned by a billionaire, building a ground to A-League standards is not going to happen. If there is also community ownership then its pretty much impossible.

Everybody wants community/supporter/member/etc. owned clubs, but there is a reason it hasnt happened, and probably wont be happening anytime soon in the A-League. And if it does, they will not own their own stadium for a very very very long time.

What I meant by partial 'community ownership' of clubs is partial 'member ownership' - that is people other than the syndicate can buy shares in the club if they wish to. If you recall, North Queensland was going down this route, only the FFA did not give them time to get it up and running. If I remember rightly Queensland Soccer (or whatever it is called) were prepared to put in $150,000, and Craig Foster committed to $15,000 holding.

Wrt to stadiums I realise that there are plenty of hurdles that a club - whether partially member owned or not - will have to get over before there is any real prospect of having a real home ground. But there are many ways of skinning the cat, long-term leasing being one of them. No-one ever solved anything by putting it in the too hard basket.

Official, from FFA

Football Federation Australia (FFA) today announced it had issued Gold Coast United FC Pty Ltd with a notice of termination following material breaches of the Club Participation Agreement that governs the conduct of all clubs in the Hyundai A-League.

The termination has been made following at least three clear breaches of the Agreement in recent days, namely:

1. A conscious and deliberate contravention of FFA Policies and Procedures.

2. Deliberate defiance of a direction that was given by FFA; and

3. Repeated public statements made by or on behalf of Gold Coast United that bring the A-League, FFA and the game of football into disrepute and are prejudicial to the interests of FFA, the A-League and the game of football in Australia.

Gold Coast United committed material breaches last Saturday night at Skilled Stadium when the playing strip and the stadium signage featured an unapproved slogan, in deliberative contravention of a direction from FFA.

FFA Chairman Frank Lowy AC today expressed his profound disappointment that FFA had been left with no alternative than to terminate the Gold Coast United’s licence.

"The material breach on Saturday night was followed by a statement from the club that it intended to continue using the slogan," said Mr Lowy.

“This behavior came on top of public comments that displayed a total lack of respect for football and the millions of Australians who love the game.

"Such disrespectful behavior, a flagrant disregard for the rules and a stated intent to continue breaking the rules made for an intolerable situation.

“As custodians of the game, we had to act to protect the integrity of the Hyundai A-League on behalf of the other nine clubs, players, coaches and most importantly, the fans.”

During the past four weeks Gold Coast United has on several occasions expressed to FFA its strong intention to leave the competition but during the same period issued contradictory statements that it intends to remain in the competition while at the same time continuing to breach FFA policies.

FFA has exhausted attempts with the owner of Gold Coast United to facilitate an orderly process under which the club could complete its remaining fixtures in the 2011/12 Hyundai A-League season and comply with its obligations under the Club Participation Agreement.

Mr Lowy made repeated attempts this morning to talk directly with Mr Palmer to appeal to him to allow a smooth completion of the season and a dignified exit from the game for Mr Palmer. These calls went unanswered.

FFA’s priority now is to explore all options to field a Gold Coast team for the remaining four matches of its season. This would avoid any impact on the standing of the remaining nine clubs and be the fairest outcome for the competition, clubs, players and fans.

Mr Lowy appealed to the football community, including owners of the other nine clubs, to use whatever influence possible to encourage Mr Palmer to allow a smooth and fair outcome to the season.

“FFA will exhaust every practical option to have Gold Coast finish the season,” he said.

FFA CEO Ben Buckley said all practical steps to enable a Gold Coast team to complete the season would be explored, including:

• Talking directly with Gold Coast players to encourage them to enter into arrangements with FFA to play the final four games of the season.

• FFA to pay the players for appearing in these games.

• Possible postponement of Sunday’s scheduled match between Gold Coast and Wellington Phoenix.

“If we need extra time to put in place the necessary arrangements then we will consider postponing the match,” he said.

A-League General Manager Lyall Gorman is already on the Gold Coast to talk with players and make arrangements for the season to continue unimpeded.

“The players are just one of the many innocent victims in all this and FFA will do its best to enable them to see out their playing season on the pitch.

“They deserve that opportunity at the very least,” Mr Buckley said.

Edited by LR9