Melbourne Football

The future of Gold Coast United

True Until I die

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/soccer/clive-palmer-slams-football-refuses-to-guarantee-future-of-gold-coast-united/story-e6frey4r-1226274907788

Bloke I sit next to at AAMI says that the FFA wants to close down Gold Coast and resuscitate Western Sydney, whilst possibly continuing GCU as a NYL club only.

Don't think it's a crisis, more of a cross-roads. We need sensible moves from the FFA, not ad hoc ones.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/soccer/clive-palmer-slams-football-refuses-to-guarantee-future-of-gold-coast-united/story-e6frey4r-1226274907788

Bloke I sit next to at AAMI says that the FFA wants to close down Gold Coast and resuscitate Western Sydney, whilst possibly continuing GCU as a NYL club only.

Don't think it's a crisis, more of a cross-roads. We need sensible moves from the FFA, not ad hoc ones.

Yep, this would be the best case scenario, but would only work if the FFA are willing to bankroll the GCU NYL team and offer a significant amount of start up capital and ongoing financial support to the club.

The question is it now not IF GCU will die, it's when. Hopefully soon after the completion of the season, so we may have a WS team in the league in 2013.

Would love having a 2nd Sydney team, would be a great rivalry match between us and them... The second team derby!

This is going to be an interesting 6 months at the FFA headquarters.

Grew up on the Coast. Its still the noyl place i've played competitive football too, so have an interest in what happens to the game there. I must say Ican't understand Palmer's actions. Seems like he bought in because he figured GCU was a way to make some money on the side (unlike Tony Sage, who bought into Glory because he loves the game). Problem with that is hardly any clubs make money. The history in the A League financially has been appalling, on top of that every knows sports fans on the coast are pretty fickle- why go to watch a poor team play when you can go to the beach?

So as I see it once he realised he couldn't make any money he just tried to cut his losses, only problem is the way he went about it (chasing his fans away) would have made him lose even more. Now i think he just wants to close the club down (let all the good players go, just play with whats left etc), BUT as Tesla said that'll change if he thinks the FFA are telling him to do just that. I can't help but wonder what was the point of this cooper captaincy - was it to upset Miron so he resigned? I guess we'll never find out.

GCU should fold ASAP after the end of the season,

Clive Palmers a fat ugly bastard who made a mockery of the league after starting Mitch Cooper as captain on debut, a move which did not help the already fragile reputation of the league...

Poor football, Terrible support, No future.

Edited by WilsonMHFC

I'll not be back,

Clive can take my job, but he took away my dignity. No one can take away my dignity.

If Clive wanted to hurt me, he succeeded. If he didn't mean to hurt me, he made a mistake.

According to him, he made the right decision to suspend me. From my point of view, it wasn't.

I respect his decision, but there is no doubt in my mind that the punishment to suspend a coach for a thing like this, after all what we had gone through together, didn't fit the crime.

p.s if they fold get Ben Halloran

great idea

also here's a fun bit of trivia:

In the past year, the gold coast suns finished last in the afl, the titans last in the nrl and now it will be gold coast united last in the a-leauge. See a pattern.

I am very interested in this, I was at the gold coast game in november and realised what a pain it is for them.

1, the way basically evryone gets there is by bus and rail. Tha rail is often closed and the buses stop every two minutes. it takes forever in them. (when i was there, i stayed in surfers paradise, over 40 stops on way to game.)

2. The stadium is in robina, that is not at all near to where all the fans live.

3. The tickets are very expensive on comparison to all other teams.

(now getting on as to why they are struggling)

4. One in every few games is heavily rain affected which causes problems to the public transport and people who are not members will probably not attend.

5. Gold coast is a rugby leauge town, some idiot in the afl thought it would be a good idea to have an afl team there and another to have an a-leauge team. Soccer is not incredibly popular there but its popular enough, in this case its idiots like clive plmer and others at gcu who stuffed it up. the games are poorly advertised and the loosing doesnt help.

6. The supporters are poorly treated, the terraces bay was closed for multiple games of the season so that the club only had to open one stand. interesting also though, the contrast of a season, in the start, they had both wings open, people turning up (about 5,000) one end closed and one bay open at the other end for the terrace.by january they only opened on wing and forced the terrace to move, now after much peer pressure, the have re-opened 'the beach' (the terraces area).

7. Poor management decisions have really troubled the club and it has shown.

In conclusion,

What the ffa did to the fury has put the hard work done for football in north queensland back years. Clive palmer has single-handedly put gold coast soccer, back years. I dont want them to close (and not just for the fact that you can tie in holidays with away trips there) there are passionate supporters who would really feel it if the club was gone. Yes clive, really. Also if you look at pictures from there first season and now, you will notice a lot of supporters have left. Gold coast may have to go for the simple fact the\at it has got itself into a hold that can not be gotten out of. A western sydney team would be great, but must be done correctly, very important.

Concluding statement; Bring back the Fury!

just need someone important to tell Clive he is too much of a shitkunt to own a successful football team and his ego will kick in and he will spend $2352340573485734890589034 to make it happen and prove that person wrong.

Like I said, he is a fat rich kunt with a big ego.

And too the guy that said he started GCU to make money, I highly doubt it, someone with his business success would have enough business knowledge to know an A-League team is a pretty shit investment. I think he done it for ego reasons, he came out talking how they would win the league first season etc. and he probably honestly thought it would happen. As soon as he saw its not that easy he got over it and has just been trying to avoid spending more money.

If Gold Coast fold..... Babalj & Rigters upforward.... Fred sitting behind them as a CF... We would be LAUGHING!

Bring Rigters down ffs! :ph34r: :ph34r:

Shit Rigters is a one hit wonder.Miron got sacked from Roar and sold rugs for a few years, why do you have this prehistoric mentality that anyone in Australia would want this shit at a club.Palmerput up the money, would anyone here put their money and say do what you want with it even though your name is attached.Miron is to blame because no one has ever shown proof of where he was a captain in Israel, shit australians are so dumb, he could of said he was christ and you would of accepted that.He signed shit players that were dropped four levels to the lowest of low and he gave them a contract for three years.

Palmer summed it up after putting.the money up and getting ridiculed.What would you do after that? He said the players in the A league are well connected just not with the ball. He said that he couldn't care less if he spoke to Buckley. Think about it Buckley gets paid more than AFL and rugby CEO,WHY???????? The sport hasn't more money,what has he done.Failed failed and then failed.When Harry K retires give him the job to sort the league,listen to one of the richest men, he obviously knows what he's doing. MAKING MONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Shit Rigters is a one hit wonder.Miron got sacked from Roar and sold rugs for a few years, why do you have this prehistoric mentality that anyone in Australia would want this shit at a club.Palmerput up the money, would anyone here put their money and say do what you want with it even though your name is attached.Miron is to blame because no one has ever shown proof of where he was a captain in Israel, shit australians are so dumb, he could of said he was christ and you would of accepted that.He signed shit players that were dropped four levels to the lowest of low and he gave them a contract for three years.

Palmer summed it up after putting.the money up and getting ridiculed.What would you do after that? He said the players in the A league are well connected just not with the ball. He said that he couldn't care less if he spoke to Buckley. Think about it Buckley gets paid more than AFL and rugby CEO,WHY???????? The sport hasn't more money,what has he done.Failed failed and then failed.When Harry K retires give him the job to sort the league,listen to one of the richest men, he obviously knows what he's doing. MAKING MONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Chill. B)

• Like 1