Melbourne Football

AFL 2014 Season

toogood18

its not really got anything to do with equalisation...

So everyone is going to go down a place in the draft while the premiers get Frawley for nothing is my understanding? Load of shit.

Not for nothing, they've obviously outbid/presented a better argument than 17 other clubs so that all comes out of their salary cap.

But it still has nothing to do with equalisation. Free Agency and equalisation are that far apart as issues it's not funny.

You need to remember that the hawks lost buddy to free agency, thus freeing up a heap of salary cap space.

Equalisation refers to the equal opportunity of clubs to make money ie clubs such as StKilda, WB and North being forced to play in shit time slots under shit stadium deals so that the big clubs can attract the big $$$ and make money for the league. Equalisation is the measures that the AFL are introducing to make sure all clubs can be profitable, whilst satisfying the requirements of the leagues big money sponsors.

I rang up the Ox and Francis and told them this would happen if Free Agency was introduced back in 2006...

I hope Frawley decision is rewarded in the same manner Colbert's was back in the 2000's when jumped ship to join the Premier. :droy:

I don't see the issue with free agency, I think it just highlights the clubs that are ran well and the ones that are run poorly. Look at the clubs that have benefitted from free agency so far, Geelong, North, Hawthorn, Sydney, Port Adelaide all have reputations of being well run. Even the Dogs did up until this season. And that's not a reflection of $$$ because we all know that WB and NM are poor cousins, its a reflection of culture within the clubs.

Naturally, if you are well ran you have a greater chance of success.

The poorer ran clubs are the ones that suffer, and it forces their hand into improving themselves. Look at Port as the perfect example. Three years ago you couldn't convince a bum to go there, now they are a 'destination club'.

It does perhaps, increase the gap between best and worst in a given season but I'd argue that by doing that it is setting the club down the bottom up for a better tilt at it in 5 years etc by opening up a heap of draftees and salary cap room.

• Like 1

Don't see the issue, we lost Buddy/young and had a fuck load left in the cap. We were always gonna refill that spot. Its not our fault we actually worked our arse off for the last 15 years and went from a laughing stock to modern giants. He took risks and they payed off. End of

• Like 1

Don't see the issue, we lost Buddy/young and had a fuck load left in the cap. We were always gonna refill that spot. Its not our fault we actually worked our arse off for the last 15 years and went from a laughing stock to modern giants. He took risks and they payed off. End of

young hardly counts as a loss mate.

• Like 2

Agree/disagree?

If Port made the granny this year they would have won.

Agree. Momentum would've been huge

Don't forget that this has been said every year about the side that lost the Prelim Final loser to the eventual Premier - When the Premier has gone on to win the GF convincingly.

And the theory never really takes into account how different teams can just match up really on other particular teams.

I rang up the Ox and Francis and told them this would happen if Free Agency was introduced back in 2006...

I hope Frawley decision is rewarded in the same manner Colbert's was back in the 2000's when jumped ship to join the Premier. :droy:

I don't see the issue with free agency, I think it just highlights the clubs that are ran well and the ones that are run poorly. Look at the clubs that have benefitted from free agency so far, Geelong, North, Hawthorn, Sydney, Port Adelaide all have reputations of being well run. Even the Dogs did up until this season. And that's not a reflection of $$$ because we all know that WB and NM are poor cousins, its a reflection of culture within the clubs.

Naturally, if you are well ran you have a greater chance of success.

The poorer ran clubs are the ones that suffer, and it forces their hand into improving themselves. Look at Port as the perfect example. Three years ago you couldn't convince a bum to go there, now they are a 'destination club'.

It does perhaps, increase the gap between best and worst in a given season but I'd argue that by doing that it is setting the club down the bottom up for a better tilt at it in 5 years etc by opening up a heap of draftees and salary cap room.

Spot on. There are heaps of other factors that go into the success of making a club: good drafting, good coaching, good facilities ext. Using free agency as an excuse as to why your club is failing is just a cop out. One player doesn't save a club and btw Frawley sucks balls, i'm just glad that he's finally decided to go there and we don't have to here anymore about this overrated flog.

What a surprise that paul roos came out and said that free agency is ruining the game, all that bloke does is have a cry about everything.

Gw essendon board, now we can make sure the ASADA drama ruins the club for another season!

High fives all round! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And yet nobody has done anything about Geelong and their drug pushing ways... maybe you should tip of the AFL Kaiser?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/stephen-dank-asks-why-only-essendon-and-cronullas-supplements-programs-were-investigated-20140930-10o58w.html

• Like 1

Gw essendon board, now we can make sure the ASADA drama ruins the club for another season!

And yet nobody has done anything about Geelong and their drug pushing ways... maybe you should tip of the AFL Kaiser?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/stephen-dank-asks-why-only-essendon-and-cronullas-supplements-programs-were-investigated-20140930-10o58w.html

Yep we are stuffed.

Yep we are stuffed.

Obviously nothing is coming the way of any other team but do you honestly believe that Geelong are as clean as a whistle?

Yep we are stuffed.

Obviously nothing is coming the way of any other team but do you honestly believe that Geelong are as clean as a whistle?

In regards to Performance Enhancing drugs I do believe we are squeaky clean because Frank Costa used that actual description to describe his time at the club and anyone who has meet Costa knows he is one man that you take at his word.

Despite hating Essendon I largely just feel sad about this whole saga because of the decent Essendon fans I know like yourself and my Grandfather... But then every now and then someone like Kingofhearts comes along trying to blame anyone but the bloke that got you in this mess (Including my own side) and I remember why I truly hate Essendon.

And FWIW the Geelong came from nowhere so they must have been on drugs theory could only be argued by a retard who started following footy in 2006... because the formline was clearly already there through out the mid 2000's.

Edited by cadete

Yep we are stuffed.

In regards to Performance Enhancing drugs I do believe we are squeaky clean because Frank Costa used that actual description to describe his time at the club and anyone who has meet Costa knows he is one man that you take at his word.

Despite hating Essendon I largely just feel sad about this whole saga because of the decent Essendon fans I know like yourself and my Grandfather... But then every now and then someone like Kingofhearts comes along trying to blame anyone but the bloke that got you in this mess (Including my own side) and I remember why I truly hate Essendon.

And FWIW the Geelong came from nowhere so they must have been on drugs theory could only be argued by a retard who started following footy in 2006... because the formline was clearly already there through out the mid 2000's.

My stance has, and always will be that James Hird employed people who without his knowledge, put some type of performance enhancing drugs into the essendon fc in the 2011 season. The bloke was a rookie coach, and unless you can show me some type of proof that he thought he consciously told Dank to put performance enhancing drugs into the essendon players i will always believe he will be an unfortunate victim of this scandal.

When the fuck did i blame your side for what is happening at essendon? All i said is that it was just weird that during your first successful period for a while that you had the same people working down at your club that are now being investigated for injecting players with performance enhancing drugs.

Btw the media has fucking crucified us in the paper, when was the last time you saw a two-sided storey about this issue? Fucking never but i guess thats me just being a conspiracy theorist

Yep we are stuffed.

My stance has, and always will be that James Hird employed people who without his knowledge, put some type of performance enhancing drugs into the essendon fc in the 2011 season. The bloke was a rookie coach, and unless you can show me some type of proof that he thought he consciously told Dank to put performance enhancing drugs into the essendon players i will always believe he will be an unfortunate victim of this scandal.

When the fuck did i blame your side for what is happening at essendon? All i said is that it was just weird that during your first successful period for a while that you had the same people working down at your club that are now being investigated for injecting players with performance enhancing drugs.

Btw the media has fucking crucified us in the paper, when was the last time you saw a two-sided storey about this issue? Fucking never but i guess thats me just being a conspiracy theorist

Have you ever thought that maybe not all stories have two sides?

And maybe thats why 90% of media has all focused for two years on only one story because there only is one story.

Only one of these PPL was hired at Geelong.

And Geelong was playing finals before he was around and still is well after he was around.... and that is not weird.

Edited by cadete

Yep we are stuffed.

Have you ever thought that maybe not all stories have two sides?

And maybe thats why 90% of media has all focused for two years on only one story because there only is one story.

Only one of these PPL was hired at Geelong.

And Geelong was playing finals before he was around and still is well after he was around.... and that is not weird.

Whilst not all stories are 50/50 their needs to be some type of quality control,people are basically coming from everywhere and having potshots at essendon some with evidence, some with none. There's actually a really good article which points out some of the bullshit being said in the media which i'd like to show you but i can't find it atm, however i'm more then happy to link it to you when i get off my mate in the next day or two.

The strain of this ASADA investigation effects everyone differently but personally it has nearly put me off watching the footy and i've been a member for 15 years. If this was your own club under this type of scrutiny you would understand how sometimes passionate supporters can let the anger get the better of them especially when posting on an internet forum...

HA! Can't believe we got pick 3 for frawley! :clap:

And its gone...

675861-jack-watts_zps9236f20f.jpg

Travis-Johnstone-5692560.jpg

Harsh on Johnstone.

The bloke at one point was labelled the Rolls Royce such was the talent at his disposal... however for most of his career the football world saw someone who was more like a famously overpriced and unreliable Alfa Romero hatchback than a Rolls Royce.

Edited by cadete

HA! Can't believe we got pick 3 for frawley! :clap:

And its gone...

675861-jack-watts_zps9236f20f.jpg

Travis-Johnstone-5692560.jpg Harsh on Johnstone.

The bloke at one point was labelled the Rolls Royce such was the talent at his disposal... however for most of his career the football world saw someone who was more like a famously overpriced and unreliable Alfa Romero hatchback than a Rolls Royce.

Don't think it was a disastrous pick though. If you wanted to make a stronger point, you should've gone with Cale Morton.

Even Tom Scully currently reminds me of an Expensive Horse who was last good when he flopped at $1.45 in the Silver Slipper three years ago...

I will admit I have other reasons for my dislike of Johnstone but I still think he was a bad use of the Number One pick.

I will admit I have other reasons for my dislike of Johnstone but I still think he was a bad use of the Number One pick.

He was definitely a shocking pick. Even fucking Richmond managed to discover Brad Ottens at number 2 in the same draft.

And to just to put it into perspective even further: 

31. Simon Black

43. Adam Goodes

45. Matthew Scarlett

It's amazing how many elite players sneak through to the later picks whilst so many first round picks end up being duds. I think it says a lot about how important good player development systems at clubs are and how little a discrepancy there is in talent between the first and last round picks in the draft.

He was definitely a shocking pick. Even fucking Richmond managed to discover Brad Ottens at number 2 in the same draft.

And to just to put it into perspective even further:

31. Simon Black

43. Adam Goodes

45. Matthew Scarlett

It's amazing how many elite players sneak through to the later picks whilst so many first round picks end up being duds. I think it says a lot about how important good player development systems at clubs are and how little a discrepancy there is in talent between the first and last round picks in the draft.

D Swan: pick 58