Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Hume City - 7:30 KO - 19/08/2014

THB

Well based on last season garuccio had some difficulty defending as it's not his greatest strength. Those left backs have to be good at both defending and attacking, but I'd rather they are defensively inclined. So wondering does Ramsey offer better cover defensively over garuccio?

re Ramsay's defending, I had a close up look of him in the first half, and whilst he had some okay attacking moves at times, he was caught out far too often defensively and was almost responsible for a couple of direct chances for Hume City, if not for some decent coverage from Kisnorbo.

Germano was solid when he came on, hopefully he can stay injury free this season, as he's a very good player when firing.

Duff and Mooy though... :wub:

Edited by RedAndWhitePride

Agree with much of what's been said.

Nice to see a bit of a shake-up with the team after the last match. You can argue about the specifics, but it was good to see some changes with the starting XI, as it puts players on notice.

I thought Mooy was awesome in the first 45, putting in almost a 10 out of 10 performance. His passing range is excellent, and he can play very well as a deeper lying playmaker. Also, he does a respectable amount of defensive work in midfield. We're lucky to have that kid, especially inside the salary cap. 

Duff looked pretty lively again. He just displays a lot of smarts in the final third to reliably make things happen there when he's on the ball, which contrasts with some of our players who do good build up or approach play, but don't provide enough end-product when they get in the final third (Ramsay is the most noticeable example). And impressively Duff can still outpace some opponents. I still think he lacks a bit of polish though, but he'll likely be firing on all cylinders by the end of pre-season.

I wish I could say I saw growth with Ramsay at LB, but I didn't. Hume got the better of him on a number of occasions, his positioning was real suspect and he just looked like a defensive liability in our back 4 (and to standout as a liability in our current defence says something). The seeming advantage with Ramsay at LB is he has the engine to get up field and help out our attacks, but too often his crossing & passing is disappointing when he gets up field, and he just generally runs up blind alleys in the final third and doesn't provide real help to our attacks.  

I thought Velaphi was solid in his showing. He was decent with his passing, and did the (albeit limited) goalkeeping required of him pretty well.

Koren looked very tidy. He seemed to move around midfield a lot, regularly dropping deep to help the team build up from the back. And already he was doing impressive passing interchanges with teammates. Some standout moments from him was an excellent through ball that he played through to Ramsay (I believe) that set up an attack, and his pretty good powerful shot from an acute angle that went high into the sidenetting. He looked though like a player that's only had 2 weeks of pre-season training with the team, and I reckon he's got a lot more gears to go up before he's in top gear.

Retre had some good moments, and he displayed a pretty solid workrate (first on the wing and then in midfield). However I can't help but wonder where exactly he fits into the team. 

Other notable performances were Marino, who I thought looked good in all areas: good on the ball, a decent passer, has an instinctive shot and took his goal well with a tidy finish. Also Dugandzic looked pretty good and lively, a bit like he was proving a point. And no 25 had some good moments from memory. 

Overall, a number of individual performances were good to see. Maybe adding an extra piece or two to the team and some fine-tuning would really take this team up another level or two though.  But I reckon the team will simply become much more fine-tuned when the season gets underway and we start to have a settled team, rather than a pre-season team that's a bit experimented with (and the team against Hume was a bit experimental. Retre won't start much, if at all, next season, Williams probably won't regularly be a starting striker, and IMO I doubt Murdocca and Ramsay will be regular starters). All up, there's a solid foundation to build on with the team, and with a few changes to come there's real possibility to head into next season with a very strong team.

• Like 5

Nice to see a bit of a shake-up with the team after the last match. You can argue about the specifics, but it was good to see some changes with the starting XI, as it puts players on notice.

I thought Mooy was awesome in the first 45, putting in almost a 10 out of 10 performance. His passing range is excellent, and he can play very well as a deeper lying playmaker. Also, he does a respectable amount of defensive work in midfield. We're lucky to have that kid, especially inside the salary cap. 

Duff looked pretty lively again. He just displays a lot of smarts in the final third to reliably make things happen there when he's on the ball, which contrasts with some of our players who do good build up or approach play, but don't provide enough end-product when they get in the final third (Ramsay is the most noticeable example). And impressively Duff can still outpace some opponents. I still think he lacks a bit of polish though, but he'll likely be firing on all cylinders by the end of pre-season.

I wish I could say I saw growth with Ramsay at LB, but I didn't. Hume got the better of him on a number of occasions, his positioning was real suspect and he just looked like a defensive liability in our back 4 (and to standout as a liability in our current defence says something). The seeming advantage with Ramsay at LB is he has the engine to get up field and help out our attacks, but too often his crossing & passing is disappointing when he gets up field, and he just generally runs up blind alleys in the final third and doesn't provide real help to our attacks.  

I thought Velaphi was solid in his showing. He was decent with his passing, and did the (albeit limited) goalkeeping required of him pretty well.

Koren looked very tidy. He seemed to move around midfield a lot, regularly dropping deep to help the team build up from the back. And already he was doing impressive passing interchanges with teammates. Some standout moments from him was an excellent through ball that he played through to Ramsay (I believe) that set up an attack, and his pretty good powerful shot from an acute angle that went high into the sidenetting. He looked though like a player that's only had 2 weeks of pre-season training with the team, and I reckon he's got a lot more gears to go up before he's in top gear.

Retre had some good moments, and he displayed a pretty solid workrate (first on the wing and then in midfield). However I can't help but wonder where exactly he fits into the team. 

Other notable performances were Marino, who I thought looked good in all areas: good on the ball, a decent passer, has an instinctive shot and took his goal well with a tidy finish. Also Dugandzic looked pretty good and lively, a bit like he was proving a point. And no 25 had some good moments from memory. 

Overall, a number of individual performances were good to see. Maybe adding an extra piece or two to the team and some fine-tuning would really take this team up another level or two though.  But I reckon the team will simply become much more fine-tuned when the season gets underway and we start to have a settled team, rather than a pre-season team that's a bit experimented with (and the team against Hume was a bit experimental. Retre won't start much, if at all, next season, Williams probably won't regularly be a starting striker, and IMO I doubt Murdocca and Ramsay will be regular starters). All up, there's a solid foundation to build on with the team, and with a few changes to come there's real possibility to head into next season with a very strong team.

Good write up as always Murf. :up:

Does anyone know who Number 25 was?

Some really encouraging signs based on the writeup by murfy1. Particularly thinking that Mass and Ramshackle will hopefully spend a lot of time on the bench and we won't have to rely on Willo as striker.

Looks like our major signings are fitting in very well and they will live up to expectation. With Duff, Koren and Mooy we probably have one of the more creative and potent midfields in the HAL. I think they are also players that won't drop their heads when things get tough but will try to work their way through the rough patches. I've noticed this with Mooy who seems to be able to put in good performances even when others around him struggle. It's a boost to players like Duga who can go missing in games and is someone who needs some experienced heads around him. From what's been said about Marino and how he played, we might have a young decent striker who knows where the goals are and can find the back of the net.

• Like 1

Sounds like a better game, albeit from weaker opposition. How was the movement?

Did they play a 1-2 anywhere?

Did ball possession go through the middle and flanks?

Was there a cut back, or was there usually someone on the edge of the box presenting that option?

Also why did Garrucio only get like 15 minutes? Came on at half time, picked up a yellow card and taken straight off.

He wasn't given a foul 30 seconds earlier and then went in with his elbow raised the following challenge in front of the ref and JVS. JVS took him straight off. He Also made him do sprints after the game as a punishment.

Edited by rayv36
  • Like 4

Retre really impressed me last night. Played most of the game and was better than mauk when partnered with him in the second half.

Really hope germano doesn't get injured as you can clearly see his value within the team.

But really. All the players should have looked like world beaters last night as we were playing a state team after all...

Oh and it's clear now what formation jvs will use and that's with a midfield of one DM and having mooy and Koren as AM's

• Like 2

The posts the morning after these games get more formulaic every Season:

1. The Trialists/Kids who played against other kids in the Second Half looked better than the Squad Members who played against the actual State League Players. :up:

2. Ethnic Food served by Ethnic Host was great - Multiculturalism Fuck Yeah. :up:

And before someone else posts it:

3. Hoffman looked good and that his set for a big Season ahead. :up:

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

Also why did Garrucio only get like 15 minutes? Came on at half time, picked up a yellow card and taken straight off.

Garruccio was very disappointing. He was mouthing off the start of the 2nd half, I don't see the point of this in a friendly.

Seems like he has a big head, poor attitude from the boy

• Like 1

Good write up as always Murf. :up:

Does anyone know who Number 25 was?

Anthony Rizk.

Garruccio was very disappointing. He was mouthing off the start of the 2nd half, I don't see the point of this in a friendly.

Seems like he has a big head, poor attitude from the boy

Can't disagree more. 

He knew what he had done wrong. It wasn't the elbow. It was losing his cool. He half took himself off.

In his defense, however:

He can't do much if the others aren't following the game plan. 

He was mouthing off at Redders who clearly didn't do the right thing while receiving and giving the ball off. What was angrily said by Garrucio was "Play him again"... as was reiterated by the fans along the fence. Instead Redders put the defenders under pressure and were forced to clear the ball rather keeping possession. Keeping possession is meant to be the game plan.

Garrucio would have stood out if he was playing in the first half. He wasn't complimented by the people around him.

Edit: Nothing wrong with being vocal.

Edited by Deviant