Melbourne Football

EPL Fans and MCFC

mcfc 68

As a long time Gooner there is not a hope in hell I'm changing teams or even going anywhere near close supporting Man City. I'll gladly watch Heart cash their cheques, use their resources to improve our facilities and send us the best youth and coaches. I'll be barracking for Heart with all my might if we play them in a friendly and hoping like hell Aguero rounds the keeper and then hits the post in the 93rd minute of the last round of the EPL this year to gift the Gunners the championship at the last minute.

Does this make me sound ungrateful ??

Edited by Defibrillator
  • Like 2

I was never much into EPL, but have followed City ever since my wife discovered that her uncle actually played for them. I was thrilled to hear that Pellegrini was coming as the present team style was always going to happen under his managership

Mind if I ask your wife's uncle's name?

As a long time Gooner there is not a hope in hell I'm changing teams or even going anywhere near close supporting Man City. I'll gladly watch Heart cash their cheques, use their resources to improve our facilities and send us the best youth and coaches. I'll be barracking for Heart with all my might if we play them in a friendly and hoping like hell Aguero rounds the keeper and then hits the post in the 93rd minute of the last round of the EPL this year to gift the Gunners the championship at the last minute.

Does this make me sound ungrateful ??

Not at all brother, I feel exactly the same!

As I've said in another thread, I can separate the feelings I hold for the Heart from the feelings I hold for Arsenal. And when saying that I mean: I'm thrilled that the Heart have been purchased by City and if all the things that are being promised are fulfilled then I will be grateful to the Sheikh and to the MCFC Group (or whatever it is referred to as), but my love for the Arsenal is as strong as it is ever was and I hope with all my heart that we pip City to the title this season (and indeed every season after).

COYG COYBIR

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1

No one is asking anyone to switch allegiance from another club to MCFC, anyone that have worked in footy for decades knows it doesn´t work that way.. But they are asking all Heart fans to engage themselves in this new chapter of the clubs history.
Even if it means telling the new owners your mind, or rather..they insist that you and all other stakeholders tell them what you think apparently, there are so many issues where they will be desperate for your input, not just in regards to badge and colours.

At MCFC it was so bad at times that guys with broken noses and tattooed knuckles feared going to matches because they where ambushed by gangs of well-dressed executive looking people armed with questionaires that insisted on getting their views on the "matchday-experience" :lol:

• Like 3

No one is asking anyone to switch allegiance from another club to MCFC, anyone that have worked in footy for decades knows it doesn´t work that way.. But they are asking all Heart fans to engage themselves in this new chapter of the clubs history.

Even if it means telling the new owners your mind, or rather..they insist that you and all other stakeholders tell them what you think apparently, there are so many issues where they will be desperate for your input, not just in regards to badge and colours.

At MCFC it was so bad at times that guys with broken noses and tattooed knuckles feared going to matches because they where ambushed by gangs of well-dressed executive looking people armed with questionaires that insisted on getting their views on the "matchday-experience" :lol:

Of course, I'm sure no one expects that to happen :) . On that subject though, are City fans surprised at how strongly the EPL is followed down here and how many of us already have strong allegiances to particular teams? I know a lot of Gooners who came down during the ashes and watched games with local Arsenal fans were very surprised at the level of support and how passionately we follow our sides.

Also The more I hear about the owners the more excited I get!

Not only have we put up with some horrific football in the last few years but we've also put up with being treated like an afterthought by our owners, which is a horrific way to treat what is really the lifeblood of any football club. The investment we're going to see is obviously the best thing about this, but the fact that we're finally going to be listened to (based on what we're hearing) is such a welcome change and is how all football clubs should be run!

Of course, I'm sure no one expects that to happen :) . On that subject though, are City fans surprised at how strongly the EPL is followed down here and how many of us already have strong allegiances to particular teams? I know a lot of Gooners who came down during the ashes and watched games with local Arsenal fans were very surprised at the level of support and how passionately we follow our sides.

Kind of yes and kind of no. We understand that Australia, as everywhere, has its fair share of PL supporters (just don't use the term "EPL" on Bluemoon - our PL was the first one, so we don't believe it needs differentiating :)) although the way that Oz is portrayed football-wise over here, it is usually believed that Australia is far more taken with Aussie Rules and cricket, and therefore doesn't have as many fans as even places like the USA in the last couple of years. Football is tribal, and team games played with a lot of energy and a certain amount of aggression on the pitch are naturally going to inspire similar energetical devotion off it. We also understand that fans of English teams from foreign countries such as yourselves are indeed passionate, especially given what you have to sacrifice just to watch the games, given the time difference.

I think the big question for us is whether it will be the same in 20, 50, 100 years? We are all really hoping that the support of foreign fans will lead to the creation of the same culture of club "family" - the idea that you are born into supporting your club, and that in a century there will still be a large groups of foreign fans following us even as we play back in the third division, playing turgid football that you could only watch if you loved the club like you love your brother or your child - so much that you could never abandon them, no matter what. Please don't misread this - I'm not indicating that your support isn't like that - but I think, given that we are not foreign fans and we don't interact with them as often as you might think, we feel like we don't know yet. In this respect, I think you'll find most City fans joining this forum would actually encourage those of you who support other PL teams to keep supporting them. Of course, for those who didn't have a PL team before, then welcome to the City brethren :)

Edited by Falastur

On that subject though, are City fans surprised at how strongly the EPL is followed down here and how many of us already have strong allegiances to particular teams?

Not at all.  Some will have emigrated to Australia with their club allegiances, some will have adopted their parents' club allegiances, some will have followed their friends' allegiances, some will have started to support successful teams, some will have started to support prominent teams, and some will have started to support teams for the seemingly most inconsequential of reasons.  I know this because, as we know from Bluemoon, City is supported around the world for all of these reasons.  And some in Australia will, quite naturally, support teams in other national leagues for exactly the same reasons.

And what I believe is that, once past a certain age, that commitment will be lifelong.  Very much like religion.  I would put that age at fairly young, say up to early adolescence, when the individual starts to appear.  Consequently, I believe that someone who comes to football as an adult will not be as committed to a chosen team as would be the case in childhood.

Edited by oeokosko

To our English visitors, the following Aussie web site and some others like it can provide background to the game in Oz http://neososmos.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/researching-australian-soccer-history.html

From my perspective, the important thing to note is that the game is built on immigrants who have brought with them strong support for teams other than from the PL such as Juve, Roma, Red Star Belgrade, Olympiacos, Real Madrid, Bayern and others. This support also extends to later generations. In Melbourne we have a large Greek community who are passionate football fans. Some (emphasis on some) are also still dirty that their beloved South Melbourne FC (once known as South Melbourne Hellas FC) has been excluded from our national football competition at the expense of HeartFC. It's a complicated landscape. Also much of the media in Australia are strongly pro Rugby League and AFL and have tended to promote a negative image of football.

Edited by HEARTinator

I was never much into EPL, but have followed City ever since my wife discovered that her uncle actually played for them. I was thrilled to hear that Pellegrini was coming as the present team style was always going to happen under his managership

Michael Tonkin, we think that he played for the reserve team but there's a photo of him holding the FA Cup, and he does sit in the Directors Box apparently.

Cheers Heartinator..a good read and in many ways similar to what the New York City guys are familiar with.

The advantage for soccer/football is of course that it´s a truly global game meaning that sports that rely on a limited and often domestic market face an uphill struggle in the long run when competing with soccer because ultimately numbers mean money.
In USA where sports are big business we can notice that where a single entity owning several sports teams in one or perhaps a few cities are common they increasingly are involved with local soccer teams thus ensuring that these owners never really miss the boat even if soccer still ranks behind American Football, Baseball and Ice-hockey.
The fact that the Heart takeover is a joint venture by storm and City is in many ways a win-win situation for both.

The real trick is of course to make it a winner for the fans as well

Edited by M13

Michael Tonkin, we think that he played for the reserve team but there's a photo of him holding the FA Cup, and he does sit in the Directors Box apparently.

Bela,

No mention of him actually playing for City in this write-up: http://www.cwherald.com/a/archive/mike-meets-up-with-city-stars-of.215761.html

Bela,

No mention of him actually playing for City in this write-up: http://www.cwherald.com/a/archive/mike-meets-up-with-city-stars-of.215761.html

We've searched too and couldn't find anything, we'll have to ask him if/when we see him next. When he retired from playing he became a ref but we won't hold that against him. On that topic if Man City really wanted to improve the A-Leage they could import some refs

Have a mate who was a member in season 2 but gradually lost interest and has now switched to the Visitors as he's a Liverpool fan and can't back a City-funded club.

Disappointing but can't imagine too many switching across because of the buyout

Then he was no real fan then. One loss but many more to gain.

Spot on Rellum. There will be a few ins and outs but real fan growth will only come from sustained success. As a City supporter for 24 years I can see a lot of parallels between City and Heart that does make it a very good match. I think if a bigger 'brand' had bought Heart we would have seen a great influx of bandwagon supporters, which might have been nice in the short term but damaging over the longer term when they lapsed. Also, reading between the lines on many of the posts here, if it were United rather than City, many Heart supporters would have found it more difficult to keep supporting the team. What will be interesting is to see how many City shirts appear on the streets. City were quite open about wanting to build their brand both here and in Asia and this investment is part of that push.

• Like 1

I'm very concerned about this "soft spot" that people have. Is it a medical condition that can be cured - just in case I develop one FFS!

Probably a byproduct from many/most people who take an interest in the EPL not really having the same sort of bonds forged with any club as they do with one from their home city. To be honest, I find people who live and die with the fortunes of a team, have club-inspired licence plates etc., when they've never even set foot in the city, let alone attended a game, to be a bit strange. But each to their own.

As a kid, I started out as a Liverpool supporter, but switched to City about 10-12 years ago, after I started watching their games with a family of City supporters. I still like them, but in recent times, I've preferred to get on board with battling teams and I'd probably consider myself a Sunderland supporter now (dad supports them, after spending a few decades as a Man U fan). Haven't decided which way I'll go next season, but there's a pretty good chance I'll go back to City, as like I said, I don't really feel a strong affiliation with any EPL club. If Sunderland gets relegated, it will make my decision much easier.

As for the local climate, I'm sure the support for City would easily be the fastest growing of any European club. Any support we lose from existing members who can't stomach the Man C connection I think we will more than make up with others jumping on. And when the 10-15 year olds who are naturally gravitating towards City as their EPL club are old enough to buy A-League memberships, they'll probably get on board too.

It is not that strange considering how young the A League is and not everyone having a connection to a NSL club.

Then consider your pearants are from a different country, in your ear about the homeland.

I have been following Hannover96 (RIP Enke) for most of my life, the Heart is my first Australian team.

So...not that strange.

It is not that strange considering how young the A League is and not everyone having a connection to a NSL club.

Then consider your pearants are from a different country, in your ear about the homeland.

I have been following Hannover96 (RIP Enke) for most of my life, the Heart is my first Australian team.

So...not that strange.

Yeah, should have mentioned that a family link is also fair enough, of course.

One of my mates is a passionate City Fan and has been a Victory member (and passionate) for the past 6 years after he moved out here.

He  Loves City a whole lot more than Victory and is re-considering his choice in Melbourne Teams (He still has an issue with the Red).

There is a new generation of Kids (Followed closely by their AFL loving parents) that have started following Heart and even though they are not members and dont attend, i do see the new generation being Man City/Heart Supporters.

This is our market.

As a City Fan, you do discover their are plenty out here, and now they have a connection to heart i expect them to jump on.

As for supporters of other EPL teams, you may find most of them jumped on victory years ago.

Spot on Rellum. There will be a few ins and outs but real fan growth will only come from sustained success. As a City supporter for 24 years I can see a lot of parallels between City and Heart that does make it a very good match. I think if a bigger 'brand' had bought Heart we would have seen a great influx of bandwagon supporters, which might have been nice in the short term but damaging over the longer term when they lapsed. Also, reading between the lines on many of the posts here, if it were United rather than City, many Heart supporters would have found it more difficult to keep supporting the team. What will be interesting is to see how many City shirts appear on the streets. City were quite open about wanting to build their brand both here and in Asia and this investment is part of that push.

I think that what will build the City brand here is success on the pitch but more importantly this has to be coupled (like in Manchester) with positive community involvement. If the average AFL supporter feels positive about the City brand through community investment, that will make them more curious about the football. That's when seeing beautiful football and success will convert new fans. The risk in going to come from the AFL influenced media where we will start seeing stories with themes on the 2 things many Australians are sensitive about - 'those Arabs (and their bombs, sharia law etc implied but never stated), and 'the rich foreign owner club steamrolling our local (AFL) traditions'. There are few genuine sport reporters in Australia, just imagine a media landscape where 80% of the press is controlled by Murdoch, and most people who call themselves sport reporters in this town are actually AFL reporters with an interest in cricket and horses. I don't know whether you've seen the racist cartoon published in Murdoch's Herald-Sun after the Man City takeover but it clearly signals both those themes.

Edited by belaguttman

I think that what will build the City brand here is success on the pitch but more importantly this has to be coupled (like in Manchester) with positive community involvement. If the average AFL supporter feels positive about the City brand through community investment, that will make them more curious about the football. That's when seeing beautiful football and success will convert new fans. The risk in going to come from the AFL influenced media where we will start seeing stories with themes on the 2 things many Australians are sensitive about - 'those Arabs (and their bombs, sharia law etc implied but never stated), and 'the rich foreign owner club steamrolling our local (AFL) traditions'. There are few genuine sport reporters in Australia, just imagine a media landscape where 80% of the press is controlled by Murdoch, and most people who call themselves sport reporters in this town are actually AFL reporters with an interest in cricket and horses. I don't know whether you've seen the racist cartoon published in Murdoch's Herald-Sun after the Man City takeover but it clearly signals both those themes.

It is my earnest hope that we will soon see something like this be rolled out Down Under. This is the US branch of City's charity arm:

http://www.city-soccer.org/

In fact, this seems very good timing. Apparently, we just opened the fifth community pitch, in Washington DC, this very day.

Edited by Falastur

Yes, I happened to see that and I thought the best anyone could say about it was that it was in very poor taste indeed. It actually amuses me when people talk about the wealth of oil-producing countries. Those countries just happen to be sitting on a commodity that we in the Western World (and elsewhere) happen to need to sustain our way of life. We pay them for that commodity, and in return they not only become rich but invest back in our own countries. All the other stuff is just xenophobia and should be recognised and labelled as such.

I know that some don't like where the investment is coming from, and I respect their opinions whilst disagreeing with them. Overall I can't see any downsides to the ADG taking a controlling interest in Melbourne Heart, and IMO it will not only lead to the growth of our club, but also the game in Melbourne and Australia, the A-League, and Asia. Others will follow ADG. I don't expect overnight success, but it will come.

Edited by jw1739

Ironic in that Australia's wealth is founded on exploiting the country's natural resources.

Oh, and that Murdoch is a humble cock.

How dare those Arabs sell their oil to the world and make gazillions from it.

If only we could find some natural resources like gas or coal so we could flog it off to Chinese or whoever wants it

Hell .... How about selling some uranium while we at it too.

Ironic in that Australia's wealth is founded on exploiting the country's natural resources.

Oh, and that Murdoch is a humble cock.

How dare those Arabs sell their oil to the world and make gazillions from it.

If only we could find some natural resources like gas or coal so we could flog it off to Chinese or whoever wants it

Hell .... How about selling some uranium while we at it too.

...whilst refusing to use it ourselves...

• Like 2

I'm a Crewe Alexandra fan a club who sadly haven't been in the EPL. I loved(and love) Nick Powell (sadly at Manchester United), Ashley Westwood (Aston Villa), Luke Murphy (Leeds United) and every other Crewe graduate. Been following Aston Villa since they took Westwood and played him regularly they've also have had a couple Aussies which helped though really nothing more than a soft spot. Will be watching Manchester City though hopefully they start appreciating the quality of some Crewe players soon.

To our English visitors, the following Aussie web site and some others like it can provide background to the game in Oz http://neososmos.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/researching-australian-soccer-history.html

From my perspective, the important thing to note is that the game is built on immigrants who have brought with them strong support for teams other than from the PL such as Juve, Roma, Red Star Belgrade, Olympiacos, Real Madrid, Bayern and others. This support also extends to later generations. In Melbourne we have a large Greek community who are passionate football fans. Some (emphasis on some) are also still dirty that their beloved South Melbourne FC (once known as South Melbourne Hellas FC) has been excluded from our national football competition at the expense of HeartFC. It's a complicated landscape. Also much of the media in Australia are strongly pro Rugby League and AFL and have tended to promote a negative image of football.

Thanks, interesting reading. One thing that jumped out at me was how football has crept up on Australian rules football in the popularity stakes. When I was in Australia it definitely wasn't as popular as it is now but we are talking the best part of 2 decades.

I'd be interested to know if Heart fans ever think football will overtake Aussie rules in the popularity stakes and how far behind it still is.

I'd be interested to know if Heart fans ever think football will overtake Aussie rules in the popularity stakes and how far behind it still is.

Still a couple of generations away, if at all. Supporting AFL (like any popular sport) is engrained in the culture and people aren't just going to swap for no reason. ALeague may be gaining in popularity, but the AFL is also expanding and beating record attendances each year still.

Most Heart supporters I daresay would consider AFL to be their number 1 sport, myself included.