Melbourne Football

Building the best team in Asia

Shahanga

Melburnian posted something awhile back about wanting to see us dominate Asia.

Fat chance I thought, can we get a training ground first please?. But anyway I went away and started to give some thought about how you might do that, just for the lols.

Since the arrival of "The Blue Overlords" it seems the concept isn't so crazy now, as in fact, that seems to be their actual plan!

Here are my thoughts.

The challenges:

• A League is salary capped, so how do you consistently outperform your opponents?
  • The salary cap forces the A League to be a substantially lower standard than rival leagues like the J & K Leagues

My thoughts were you need to utilise what you can and that is:

• top draw coach & facilities
  • top draw Marquees
  • a never ending assembly line of young kids coming through who cut a swathe through the league and then move on to bigger and better things

Obviously we would need an incredible academy for that- oh that's right that sounds like the first thing the Blue Overlords will build!

My only rider- this will take years to bring to fruitation.

• Like 1

My thoughts were you need to utilise what you can and that is:

• top draw coach & facilities
  • top draw Marquees
  • a never ending assembly line of young kids coming through who cut a swathe through the league and then move on to bigger and better things

The last point is one thing City will get out of this. They are going to have learn how to produce young players to win things. This is a different challenge for them and even thou they have some of the best people they will still need to adapt to bring this into fruition. That knowledge will help the other clubs as well. 

To win the ACL we are competing against very wealthy Japanese clubs that are miles ahead of us with their youth development.

• Like 1

The cap is interesting, I've no experience of sport using a salary cap before.  Obviously Marquee players are important BUT capped players make up the bulk of the squad (or roster).  I think the key is to ensure the quality of capped player is better than our rivals - which means they have the best potential, the best training, and the best strategy for their use,  It's no accident that Soriano has already mentioned having access to City's scouting network and emphasised the importance of an academy for developing young talent in Melbourne.

You guys will get your own training ground and within a very short space of time, it WILL be the very best there is in Australasia.

You guys will get your own acadamy and within the next 5-10 years you will be pushing out the finest talent there is in Australia.

You guys will get full access to our new world class training/acadamy system here in the UK.

In the meantime, you will get to sign the best available talent that will play in the A-league and in the short term, you will see a much improved and winning side.

You will also get loaned out some of our younger players no doubt who are not ready for us but i will gaurantee, are more than ready for the A-league.

You guys will get a management team that will use our expertise and you guys will play some of the most attacking, beautiful football.

You guys will get the very best medical team available.

You guys will get the cheapest and best matchday experience there is.

Fuck it guys, you guys have to realise that second best is no longer an option and you will just get the very best in everything and i will wager, you will even do it playing in red and white! ;-)

• Like 5

Well in that case, isn't there a big grassy patch in the Docklands, opposite the monstrous ferris wheel? Maybe someone on the other side can confirm this, as my memory seems to remember there is. Virtually in the city, but I havn't been that way for a while. It would also be more accesible to watch friendlies, youth (W League if we get a team), just a thought.

Well in that case, isn't there a big grassy patch in the Docklands, opposite the monstrous ferris wheel? Maybe someone on the other side can confirm this, as my memory seems to remember there is. Virtually in the city, but I havn't been that way for a while. It would also be more accesible to watch friendlies, youth (W League if we get a team), just a thought.

You mean the rabbit invested swamp/port?

You mean the rabbit invested swamp/port? Across the road from the ferris wheel and that bulk buy place, so yeah I guess so ha ha, I don't very often go past there.

Isn't that etihad stadium?

• Like 2

I honestly don't know, I have been down that road twice in four years.

hahaha I think he was joking and referring to eithad a rabbit invested swap ;)

You guys will get your own training ground and within a very short space of time, it WILL be the very best there is in Australasia.

You guys will get your own acadamy and within the next 5-10 years you will be pushing out the finest talent there is in Australia.

You guys will get full access to our new world class training/acadamy system here in the UK.

In the meantime, you will get to sign the best available talent that will play in the A-league and in the short term, you will see a much improved and winning side.

You will also get loaned out some of our younger players no doubt who are not ready for us but i will gaurantee, are more than ready for the A-league.

You guys will get a management team that will use our expertise and you guys will play some of the most attacking, beautiful football.

You guys will get the very best medical team available.

You guys will get the cheapest and best matchday experience there is.

Fuck it guys, you guys have to realise that second best is no longer an option and you will just get the very best in everything and i will wager, you will even do it playing in red and white! ;-)

Swoon!

No not joking. Across the road and around the Wheel is a river, marshes and loads of Rabbits. That is the only grass I can think of around there. 

Well the more a kid touches a ball, the better, I think I read somewhere Ajax aim at at least 500 or something touches in a training session, everything is done with the ball. The best opportunity would be to start up/ invest in schools to be soccer specific, that's what they are doing over in Japan, as well as having their acadamies.

No not joking. Across the road and around the Wheel is a river, marshes and loads of Rabbits. That is the only grass I can think of around there. 

no I meant bzamora was joking :)

Is it big enough though? It would seem a couple of bunnies and soggy ground is a minor hindrance. I mean the whole of the City is built on a swamp, I think I recall the bottom two levels of the Realto had to be filled in, as it was sinking.

no I meant bzamora was joking :)

ahh - ignore me then :)

Guangzhou Evergrande were able to become the best in Asia rather easily while still having 7 of their starting 11 being Chinese, which are not particularly known for being very good football players.

Sure they did spend tonnes on their 3+1 internationals and probably even more on getting Lippi, but surely with the right marquee players and internationals, our squad should be strong enough able to run rings around the 4 man teams of china and the best of Japan and Korea.

I'm fucking excited, never did I think it was possible but with ambitious owners with bottomless pockets, I think we can be the best team in Asia.

• Like 3

Guangzhou Evergrande were able to become the best in Asia rather easily while still having 7 of their starting 11 being Chinese, which are not particularly known for being very good football players.

Sure they did spend tonnes on their 3+1 internationals and probably even more on getting Lippi, but surely with the right marquee players and internationals, our squad should be strong enough able to run rings around the 4 man teams of china and the best of Japan and Korea.

I'm fucking excited, never did I think it was possible but with ambitious owners with bottomless pockets, I think we can be the best team in Asia.

all 7 players are in national team and Zheng Zhi is the player of the year in asia

I've just been listening again to the statements made by Man City CEO Ferran Sorian and Director of Football Txiki Begiristain, and the more I listen to what they say, the more I believe the future is very bright:

Soriano:
We have resources, meaning know-how, technology, experience in football that we are able to share. As an example, we have a network of scouts across the world of 36 people. Everywhere, Latin America, in Europe, in Asia. This network of scouts works to look for talent for Manchester City, for New York City, and now for Melbourne. So what we will do is in scouting, in coaching, in all the football related know-how, we will offer this know-how to our team here. So our team here will be a Melbourne team, rooted and developed for the Melbourne fans, that will be able to use the resources of one of the biggest football organisations in the world. 

So our objective is to have a club in Melbourne that will be a winning club that will develop the kind of football we want to develop. And for that we will listen, we will learn, and then we will bring to Melbourne whatever is needed.

We want a game that is based in possession, effective possession, of the ball, attacking football, fast recovery of the ball, and some basic concepts that actually deliever a football that is going to entertain the fans. So we want to play good football, we want to entertain the fans, and then we will win. The same philosophy will be applied in Melbourne.

There might be 800,000 people in the Melbourne area that like football. The stadium is 30,000, adding Victory and Heart, that's too low. There's a lot of people in Melbourne, a lot of fans, I think, waiting to have more opportunities, more high quality football. So, we believe that football in Australia is at a stage of development where there is much much more to come. And we're here for the long term. I think this is going to happen fast, but if it takes a little while, we will stay and we will work until this potential is realised.

And now in Melbourne we will take the time, we will not take any significant decision in the months until the season is finished. And then we will be ready to help Melbourne in the summer, so that next season they'll start with a strengthened squad and with whatever else we can help.

Begiristain:
We know what kind of manager we need, we know what kind of players we need.

We want to improve the show here, improve the football, but again for us knowing that we have to play here in the Australian league with 16, 17 or 18 Australian players who will be very very strong trying to build a very good academy here in Melbourne.

Soriano:

The plans are not decided because it's day one, but I can already say that for us it's very important the training facility, very important. We want all our teams across the world to play a certain style of football, attacking football, based in ball possession, and for that we need all the teams to train the same way. And for that we need top level, high quality facilities. So we'll make sure that we have these high quality facilities also in Melbourne.

I've highlighted a few things, but really everything they are saying sounds good. High quality training facilities, very strong Australian players (I have a feeling these guys wouldn't have kept Hoffman for 4 seasons), the overall squad strengthened for next season, sharing City's world class resources and for most of these changes to 'happen fast'.

Like some others, I'd just like to see Heart playing in the ACL! But it looks pretty clear now that we can dream bigger than that.
Edited by Murfy1

all 7 players are in national team and Zheng Zhi is the player of the year in asia

Let's get him.

all 7 players are in national team and Zheng Zhi is the player of the year in asia Let's get him. would love to have him but cannot see any chance he will play here

his salary plus bonus would be more than 2 million aud. as we playing under salary cap there is no way to have him

otherwise i hope ffa to exclude asian visa player salary from the cap to let a-league team be more competetive in acl

The ambition is absolutely to give Melbourne a club that might compete for domestic and international titles, you might even say that it would be totally pointless for CFG to own this team unless it was the intention from day one.

So what´s the catch? ..Well as we found out years ago you might miss stuff that you never really appreciated when you had them, a bit like my first car that I hated with a passion but somehow when driving a new one I can still miss the old banger if you follow my drift

• Like 1

I am often wrong but isn't there an Asian marquee spot??

Yeah there is too! I think most of us have forgotten about that because I can't think of anyone that's used it yet.

I thought that was just for the ACL?

I don't think so. As far as I know we do not have any rules regarding players from countries in the AFC, whereas in Japan, Korea and I think China one of the allocated foreign spots must be filled by a player from an Asian country.

Yeah there is too! I think most of us have forgotten about that because I can't think of anyone that's used it yet.

I thought that was just for the ACL?

I don't think so. As far as I know we do not have any rules regarding players from countries in the AFC, whereas in Japan, Korea and I think China one of the allocated foreign spots must be filled by a player from an Asian country.

Oh ok, my mistake!

I do think that if we want to build up a reputation in Asia getting at least one talented Asian player would be a good start. Being a force in Asia isn't just about beating Sanfrecce Hiroshima or FC Seoul it is about building relationships with the clubs we share the region with in my opinion.

There has been talk of applying the AFC 3+1

Where

3 internationals can play, not sure if they can be all marquees, but I asume so. (Can also be Australian in regards to marquee).

+1 Asian marquee. (Can be Australian for the marquee).

Personaly I think we should adapt it, as the ACL enforces the rules anyway and there is always the injury or guest signing that are outside the cap for unforseen injuries.

I absolutely love this thread, what a difference a week makes.  Let's hope the years to come give it a go at the very least.

With the structure, as pointed out, our world class functions must be:

- Youth training/development system to mimick City, we did well with our structure early on, we need to lift this so 3-4 young players can come in perform for a few years and start the cycle again.

- Head coach and staff.  Department spend has to be best in the league with world class resources.

- 2 marquees, international must be huge, and local the best available.

- Technical system and playing style must be comparable to the best Asian teams (already started with the JVS philosophy), we can't rely on physicality and being made to look like amatuers technically by tricky and fast players in Asia.

- We need to use our brand and resources and hype to sell ourselves to get the best player for the available price, next time there's a Lucas Neill situation for example.  If within 6-8 years, we can have 2 players developed to play for City, we have the greatest selling point for any club.

- With our international pull, get in a well known Asian player, not marquee, but with the possiblity of European connections, a name wanting to make that move is possible.

Edited by mulhollanddrive

Correct me if I'm wrong but could we possibly have: 1 international marquee (paid outside the cap) 1 Australian marquee (outside the cap) 1 under 23 marquee (aus or int??) out the cap 1 Asian marquee (outside the cap) 1,2,3 or 4 Loaned players from Man City (paid by Man City) ? Could this possibly happen? And could they all play in the ACL?

Dukes, are you absolutely sure on that? Can you point to a reference? I was under the same impression (that there could be a sixth visa player, provided he was from an AFC country other than Australia, but that this would still have to be inside the numbers cap of 23 players), but all I can find is that it was proposed by the PFA as long ago as 2009 and discussed several times since. But I can't find it stated in writing.