Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Alright, I'm back after a 2 day hiatus. Has that stupid argument died down yet?

Kind of :lol:

Now its about the name Melbourne City FC and any challenge to using it. Oh the joys of business.

As for taking over a SL club to expand ops, its kind of counterproductive really if you want to grow your supporter base significantly. You may gain the benefits of facilities, you player development program and a fan base of that club, but it will limit the appeal of those involved with other clubs.

Just what infrastructure investment will be in place this season will be interesting to see. One would hope some traction on this would be achieved very soon.

But surely fans was consulted?.. Not all of them of course but some fans. When Simon Pearce was here he assured the FRG that they knew very well about how fans felt about the colour issue.

But it was never going to be a vote or something like that.

I would like to know who, if any participated or were given opportunity to participate in an official cfg survey re colours etc.

Not even 1 of the 3 in our house.

Edited by Heart is Melbourne

Heart_fan .. It was not serious about taking over SMFC, just a bit of joke between me and a guy I know.

But having got the issue about name and colours out of their hands sort of the focus will shift to infrastructure I´m sure.

But surely fans was consulted?.. Not all of them of course but some fans. When Simon Pearce was here he assured the FRG that they knew very well about how fans felt about the colour issue.

But it was never going to be a vote or something like that.

I would like to know who, if any participated or were given opportunity to participate in an official cfg survey re colours etc.

Not even 1 of the 3 in our house.

I might be wrong but didn´t someone on here mention that they had a some guys with clipboards asking people stuff when they went out from the stadium after some game..?

You really don´t need more than say a hundred answers to know what people think.

Alright, I'm back after a 2 day hiatus. Has that stupid argument died down yet?

Kind of :lol:

Now its about the name Melbourne City FC and any challenge to using it. Oh the joys of business.

As for taking over a SL club to expand ops, its kind of counterproductive really if you want to grow your supporter base significantly. You may gain the benefits of facilities, you player development program and a fan base of that club, but it will limit the appeal of those involved with other clubs.

Just what infrastructure investment will be in place this season will be interesting to see. One would hope some traction on this would be achieved very soon.

That's fine. I haven't heard this argument over and over for the last several weeks, so I'm not deeply frustrated by it (yet).

• Like 1

First, CFG lawyers must surely have this covered. Second, Munn's view about the teams coexisting has merit. What we are talking about is the possibility of an national A-league club being confused with another club that's 7 divisions below it playing in the bowels of the Victorian state league sustem. Hardly confusing LOL.

In an annual top 10 list, Simon Pearce was ranked the 5th most influential person in Australian football (no other Heart/City people made the list):

5 Simon Pearce

Melbourne Heart board member

The fixer behind Manchester City’s audacious entry into Australia, with the stunning acquisition of David Villa a sign of things to come. Melbourne City will transform the game off the field as much as on, by becoming the trailblazer for the vital next A-League frontier _ facilities and academies.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/socceroos-coach-ange-postecoglou-named-most-influential-person-in-australian-football/story-fni2wcjl-1226947007679

Murfy1.. That´s a bit funny, because Simon Pearce is very much in the background usually. Few know that on the CFG board people guess that he ranks just second to the chairman himself.
Someone must have given the guy writing the article a hint.

I see the Heart of The City slogan being used extensively going forward, did you guys notice the "Beating Heart" effect with the new logo at the start and the end of the Villa interview? The name is different but underneath The Heart beats on. CFG have shown at MCFC and will show at the Heart that they have no desire to purge any history from the club, they take steps to actively make sure history is remembered on the contrary BUT will make the changes necessary to make their imprint and evolve the club to the needs of the present and the future, for its own good

Edited by TxikiBugger

You shouldn´t really post when you have been drinking Txikibugger.. You write like a wannabe politician "evolve to the needs of the present and the future..etc" ^_^

Perhaps it would have been easier to say that "this is the minimum CFG will budge from their branding plans which is a bugger but the rest will be brilliant"

• Like 2

I see the Heart of The City slogan being used extensively going forward, did you guys notice the "Beating Heart" effect with the new logo at the start and the end of the Villa interview? The name is different but underneath The Heart beats on. CFG have shown at MCFC and will show at the Heart that they have no desire to purge any history from the club, they take steps to actively make sure history is remembered on the contrary BUT will make the changes necessary to make their imprint and evolve the club to the needs of the present and the future, for its own good

Let's just assume for the sake of the discussion that you are correct, the problem always has been one of change management. There has been no dialogue, arguably no consultation (although CFG claim to have interviewed supporters, nobody has actually said that they've been interviewed) and communication has trickled only one way. Fans don't want to be managed, they want to be included and respected. We want to be stakeholders not customers

First, CFG lawyers must surely have this covered. Second, Munn's view about the teams coexisting has merit. What we are talking about is the possibility of an national A-league club being confused with another club that's 7 divisions below it playing in the bowels of the Victorian state league sustem. Hardly confusing LOL.

Eminently fixable. Just bring them into our umbrella organization as Melbourne City Football Club (Spotswood), a self-managed entity. They already play in sky blue and white. Let them manage as much of their activities as they wish to, just back them with training, coaching, back-room function, etc. if that's what they want. I cannot see that in practice this would be any different from us, in the future, have a whole series of under-age teams playing in local leagues. Embrace them. All part of community involvement.

Eminently fixable. Just bring them into our umbrella organization as Melbourne City Football Club (Spotswood), a self-managed entity. They already play in sky blue and white. Let them manage as much of their activities as they wish to, just back them with training, coaching, back-room function, etc. if that's what they want. I cannot see that in practice this would be any different from us, in the future, have a whole series of under-age teams playing in local leagues. Embrace them. All part of community involvement.

Agree. The Spotswood Branch of Melbourne CityFC as apposed to the larger La Trobe University Branch. Win win all round surely :up:

Let's just assume for the sake of the discussion that you are correct, the problem always has been one of change management. There has been no dialogue, arguably no consultation (although CFG claim to have interviewed supporters, nobody has actually said that they've been interviewed) and communication has trickled only one way. Fans don't want to be managed, they want to be included and respected. We want to be stakeholders not customers

That's a very fair comment, I think the consultation they've done hasn't been very open or publicised enough but I do believe keeping the colours for the away, having a permanent place for the colours in the new logo and the Heart of the City are significantly influenced by the supporter's passion. the home colours are of course clearly a City imprint and while its unfortunate they couldn't do what the supporters wanted with that, when you buy a Franchise for such a large amount of money with the commitment to take it to the top, there are some decisions you are entitled to take from a business and marketing standpoint for the best, Its a give and take process after all. Having said that though I do agree though that there has to be more communication with the fanbase because its clearly a massive period of change and uncertainity and the faith that they are doing what is best for the club will only come with experience of their methods, you will develop that within a few seasons but you can't be expected to believe that before experiencing it for yourself, I believe they could do a little more to brief the fanbase of their vision when possible.

I see big things in the future for the Melbourne City/Heart though lads, and I have full faith the kind of purging of the memory of the Heart that some envision will never happen, they could've easily attempted that with MCFC but chose to highlight its history at every stage, the  Chairman personally chose to seek out the top City historian to find out about the Clubs origins more and early indications are the history will be kept in memory here too, there will be no mini Man City either, each club is based on developing the local City and community, they've done it extensively in Manchester, started it in New York with soccer schools etc ad will be doing it again for the good City of Melbourne, united in marketing, business aspects and in the values of good football, youth and community, but distinctly a part of their local City, thats the vision. 

Enjoy the ride, it will be a lot more comfortable when that faith I spoke of earlier kicks in :)

• Like 1

Are A-league clubs still allowed to also field a state league side? Seems like a pretty simple solution if possible. Otherwise this is a grasshopper and the ant situation a.k.a the original "Winter is Coming."

That really makes no sense whatsoever but the thing is I still know what you are talking about

You'd be surprised how often I hear that. XD

Its a long shot, but anyone on here have any background in IP/ Trademark law?

This whole Melb City (South Kingsville) vs CFG Trademark fight currently underway has me trying to work out if there is any legal right for a club that has used the name but never Trademarked it?

With a history of using the name, I am sure they have been instructed by their IP legal reps to try and get the rights to make a nice little payday, as anyone would see this as a very big opportunity. I would hardly see the point in going to all this effort just to block CFG from using it completely, as the only real benefit for them would be to gain financially at the end.

Given thie new "dreams" of becoming a NPL club all of a sudden, the money would come in handy :lol:

"If someone has been using an unregistered trade mark for a sufficient period and has built up a reputation, they may be able to prevent you from using the same name, logo etc, regardless of whether or not you have registered it as a trade mark.

For example, if a company has used 'Freshies' as a name for their bread products over many years, but has never registered this as a trade mark, they may be able to prevent you from using 'Freshies' on your bread products. This is the case even if you register 'Freshies' as a trade mark."

Melbourne City ( the small one) would have a great deal of trouble pursuing this route due to the ability of the other Melbourne City to keep this in constant litigation. Coles and Safeway do this to small business' all the time. The other issue is I believe you need to prove that it is unique to you and infringement will cause you some material hurt. In the case of a local football club I'm not sure they could prove any reasonable damages from this change.

• Like 1

That's a very fair comment, I think the consultation they've done hasn't been very open or publicised enough but I do believe keeping the colours for the away, having a permanent place for the colours in the new logo and the Heart of the City are significantly influenced by the supporter's passion. the home colours are of course clearly a City imprint and while its unfortunate they couldn't do what the supporters wanted with that, when you buy a Franchise for such a large amount of money with the commitment to take it to the top, there are some decisions you are entitled to take from a business and marketing standpoint for the best, Its a give and take process after all. Having said that though I do agree though that there has to be more communication with the fanbase because its clearly a massive period of change and uncertainity and the faith that they are doing what is best for the club will only come with experience of their methods, you will develop that within a few seasons but you can't be expected to believe that before experiencing it for yourself, I believe they could do a little more to brief the fanbase of their vision when possible.

I see big things in the future for the Melbourne City/Heart though lads, and I have full faith the kind of purging of the memory of the Heart that some envision will never happen, they could've easily attempted that with MCFC but chose to highlight its history at every stage, the  Chairman personally chose to seek out the top City historian to find out about the Clubs origins more and early indications are the history will be kept in memory here too, there will be no mini Man City either, each club is based on developing the local City and community, they've done it extensively in Manchester, started it in New York with soccer schools etc ad will be doing it again for the good City of Melbourne, united in marketing, business aspects and in the values of good football, youth and community, but distinctly a part of their local City, thats the vision. 

Enjoy the ride, it will be a lot more comfortable when that faith I spoke of earlier kicks in :)

I hope that you're right, we've heard that a lot from the Man City supporters here. Unfortunately we haven't seen it from the franchise owners. My problem is that I'm an empiricist and not a person who believes in faith.

I love the red and white stripes. Since a since a kid I've supported every team/sport in a red jersey. So, I'm Massively disappointed with the change, buy I will still support my club. I and my 3 football mad kids love the game, and will support any team rivaling Victory! For me it still feels like the same club, Scott's still there, Mate, Williams, Kisnorbo and many others that have brought me good memories.

If u love the game, you'll live with changes. let's get on with it! We'll have the best squad, professional advice/support from our mother club, which almost guarantees us success in the long term.

Most aleague team names are rugby/union names. "City" was my preferred name 5yrs ago. so glad we now have a traditional football name. Let's own this city & state.

Edited by Pandev
  • Like 4

I love the red and white stripes. Since a since a kid I've supported every team/sport in a red jersey. So, I'm Massively disappointed with the change, buy I will still support my club. I and my 3 football mad kids love the game, and will support any team rivaling Victory! For me it still feels like the same club, Scott's still there, Mate, Williams, Kisnorbo and many others that have brought me good memories.

If u love the game, you'll live with changes. let's get on with it! We'll have the best squad, professional advice/support from our mother club, which almost guarantees us success in the long term.

Most aleague team names are rugby/union names. "City" was my preferred name 5yrs ago. so glad we now have a traditional football name. Let's own this city & state.

Agreed. The club has been rebranded. Players, coach etc is still there. Chants still the same, flags and banners still the same we can now have old and new fused together. We can forge a new and better culture etc. Great times are ahead. The name etc may have changed but it up to us fans old and new to make this club what it is. The colours of the kit, name and badge don't make a club it's the supporters. We are the ones who make the atmosphere on game day. For people to say this new board haven't listened to us well when did the old board listen to us. We weren't consulted over JA, Kappa the new kits the shit collars, team selection and all the rest. But we stuck by the club. So you could say nothing has changed in that department. As long as Melbourne is still the name of this club and we play in the Australia it is still our club. Most of the player's will be Australian the background staff will be locals. What is the same is us as supporters cheering and chanting most of the same player's etc like we have always done. This is a great opportunity for this club and for the league.

• Like 2

If you're not gonna support the club's owners, you can support the players/coaches on the pitch (Pretty much what Cardiff's fans are forces to do lmao)...They didn't choose to be taken over so they don't deserve to have supporters leaving.

Not tryna convince people; just a thought.

• Like 1

If people feel about red&white, buy the away shirt and carry the banner.. No doubt they will keep a close eye on what colours that sell and look at it for the future merchandise and stuff.

Now when the plans are revealed by the powers beyond control gently slips down to local managers, that might be say the guy ordering all kinds of merchandise that worry about what will sell.

• Like 3

If people feel about red&white, buy the away shirt and carry the banner.. No doubt they will keep a close eye on what colours that sell and look at it for the future merchandise and stuff.

Now when the plans are revealed by the powers beyond control gently slips down to local managers, that might be say the guy ordering all kinds of merchandise that worry about what will sell.

Agree with this, if the stands stay predominantly red and white then that gives a clear message to CFG. I'll be buying a new away jersey but not a home jersey.

• Like 1

Agree with this, if the stands stay predominantly red and white then that gives a clear message to CFG. I'll be buying a new away jersey but not a home jersey.

Same. But expect owners to try and decrease the use of red and white as often as they can get away with it. Keeping our colours will be an ongoing battle.

Whatever your feelings on the matter it's a shame the fans are going to be wearing different colours. Going to be interesting to see how much sky blue there is at the first home game. 

No doubt, like late last season there will be a few Man City shirts in the crowd (and that legend with the half heart half city abomination). The sky blue on the new home kit seems very token at best. For at least the first season I would expect a majority white and red. And I wouldn't discount the power of the colours of the tifos for influencing how moderates view the colours that define us.

Edited by Jun

I have been reading this thread with interest from afar and thought I would wait for things to settle down before posting

I understand why some might get upset but a club is not about colours City's have changed many times, its not about boards we have loads of though too, its certainly not about players or managers they come and go its about us the supporters we make the club we are the only constant we are the noise and we are the heart and soul of any club.

To those of you who state they have not consulted me did you really think they were going to consult with thousands and thousands of fans just because you havent been consulted does not mean consultations have not occured you have to remember we on football forums are the minority therefore we are not indicative of what is going on in the wider world

As long as you buy a shirt do you really think that owners of a club care what colour shirt you have bought get real the point is they can use the new home shirt to link with its other world wide interests for marketing purposes even if you only buy the red and white kit, they get what they want in terms of marketing you get what you want in terms of keeping red and white both parties win

I do think  that we as fans have unreal expectations about communications from clubs they will look at what is need for the long term future and our owners have the resources to build and deliver whatever is needed and when they are ready it will be presented

City are building one of, if not, the worlds greatest training facility they didnt consult they just presented it and then got on and delivered it why do think Man City fans get all excited when Sheik Khaldoon does his annual speech because its the one and only time that we get to hear what the head of our club is thinking does that make them poor communicators, no, it just means when they have something to say they say it and then they shut up and let the football do the talking

Edited by chesterguy

Murfy1.. That´s a bit funny, because Simon Pearce is very much in the background usually. Few know that on the CFG board people guess that he ranks just second to the chairman himself.

Someone must have given the guy writing the article a hint.

Your final sentence is what I suspect. The journalist seems to have a sense of who did the legwork in establishing Melbourne City, and it's interesting that the journo singled out Pearce for credit.

I've been trying to determine who's on the Melbourne City FC board, and it looks like Ferran Soriano is the Chairman of the board (source), and I've only heard of Simon Pearce being another CFG person on Melbourne City's board (although it wouldn't surprise me if there are more, but that's all that I've seen verified). The remaining board members seem to be a motley mix, effectively of Melbourne Storm individuals: Bart Campbell, Michael Watt, Gerry Ryan and Matthew Tripp. 

There's also a Heart Consortium Group, which is a holding company, that Bart Campbell is the chairman of (source).

Anyway, even if that's all the people who run the club (along with Scott Munn and John Didulica), they all seem to be a pretty capable lot of business operators.

Edited by Murfy1

I much prefer the away kit with the sash. Always hated the stripes especially the kappa ones, but hey I don't have to wear it. I do like the new home top and would really like a polo with the new logo like the t-shirt DV had that would be sweet. Really looking forward to this season. Haven't felt this excited since the first and second seasons. I'm trying to block out the JA years.  :)

Can we please give the red and white a fucking rest? The battle (rightly or wrongly) was fought, and it's now our away shirt.  I can tell you from someone who has studied marketing that if you keep pushing red and white, they'll scrap it as an away shirt and no amount of signs or fan protests will do a single thing to stop it.

I wish we could have kept the red and white but (again from a marketing perspective) I can fully appreciate the global brand that they're trying to build. Besides, if changing colours means I won't have to subject myself or my children to fortnightly, 90 minute lessons on how NOT to play football with strikers who couldn't hit the side of a bus, then that's a price I'm willing to pay.

I'm a NUFC in the EPL, and my wife is a Preston South End supporter.  Neither club are playing in the same shirt they started in, but we should do what those supporters did. Support the team, grow up and fuckin move on.

Edited by daniboi