Melbourne Football

Call to cut imports....

downbylaw

Article in the Herald Sun today reporting the FFA have notified clubs about 'plans' to reduce the foreign import spots to four per club. Challenged by some clubs including Heart. Article goes on to mention it's in the interest of developing local players which reading between the lines is due to the amount of list clogging imports.

Thoughts?

I thought they'd already changed it to 3 foreign + 1 asian for next season?

Sounds familiar.

Either way, I would assume thats what they are doing now.

not a big deal, we are just falling in line with the rest of Asia and it also means whoever qualifies for ACL doesnt have to have a foreigner missing out.

The interesting thing is, a player doesnt even have to be a citizen to be counted as non-foreign in the A-league, I think permanent residency is enough (AFAIK the Eritrean guys at GC aren't citizens for example), wonder if this contrast with the ACL definition for what a foreigner is and whether that will now be adopted.

• Like 1

It's all here: http://images.the-afc.com/Documents/comps/regs/ACL_2011_Competitions_Regulations.pdf page 37. 'Clubs are permitted to register three (3) non-citizens or foreign players...in addition clubs are allowed to register one more non-citizen or foreign player who has the nationality of one of Asian Member Associations. The player will be considered a local player, not as a foreign player...'

My reading of that is that the ACL considers 'non-citizens with resident status' as foreigners, and therefore the A-League is out of step with the ACL. Thus an Australian club participating in the ACL can register up to three non-Australian citizens, plus one 'Asian' citizen.

I would imagine that this is what lies behind any move by the FFA.

But only 3 out of 10 teams compete within Asia. Whilst I can see the fairness, it puts the other 7 teams not competing out one selected player of their choice. Didn't teams qualifying last year and also for this year do so with 5 visa spots; later having to make adjustments to their rosters?

Either way; people are going to find some sort of loophole in the system if this happens to make things swing their way. Plus is discriminating - the spot could potentially go to an outstanding quality player but could now have to be given to a lesser-quality player due to their heritage.

I'd happy drop one spot, However if one of the 4 has to be Asian than that's just shit. I'd rather see FFA if able to bump up the senior squad size by 2 so squads can cover the reduction in Foreign spots in ACL and provide greater squad depth incase of injury during the regular season.

• Like 1

I think you'll find A-League teams qualifying for the ACL have always, or certainly last season, had to adjust their playing roster to compete. Last season I recall Juho Makela(? spelling) being left out of the Sydney FC ACL squad to get them inside the 3+1 rule. Also, don't forget the ACL squad is 30, so A-League clubs can enhance their squad when they compete. So their team competing in the ACL can bear little resemblance to that competing in the A-League.

I see the result of the 3+1 rule being applied domestically as depriving the A-league of some overseas talent and diminishing spectator appeal. Do I smell lobbying by the PFA...?

How many of the A League clubs actually have 5 quality imports? We don't.

Strictly speaking an import should be better than all the local alternatives (not say a hard working but untalented lad from the slums who is willing to play for less than the locals). By that criteria I reckon we have only one definitely worth his place and then 3 maybes.

On that basis i don't have a problem with dropping the quota to 4. If all the imports in the A League had the quality of Broich, Fred and van Dyk it be different, but there are and have been too many like Cazarine, Brebner and Maycon for my liking.

How many of the A League clubs actually have 5 quality imports? We don't.

Strictly speaking an import should be better than all the local alternatives (not say a hard working but untalented lad from the slums who is willing to play for less than the locals). By that criteria I reckon we have only one definitely worth his place and then 3 maybes.

On that basis i don't have a problem with dropping the quota to 4. If all the imports in the A League had the quality of Broich, Fred and van Dyk it be different, but there are and have been too many like Cazarine, Brebner and Maycon for my liking.

only one definately worth his place in our sqaud? im assuming you are tlaking about Fred, whilst fred is talented he is always injured which strongly reduces his value to us, no good having a superstar player that can only play a 3rd of the season. i also dont understand how germano you have germano down as a mabye, the guy is a gun!

whilst fred is talented he is always injured which strongly reduces his value to us, no good having a superstar player that can only play a 3rd of the season. i also dont understand how germano you have germano down as a mabye, the guy is a gun!

You have a point about Fred, but in this case i was looking at his class, not his availability.

In regards to Germano, what i mean is that in my theory an import should be BETTER than the local options, not as good as. I consider Worm, Terra & Germano to be good enough to play in the A League and worth their places in our side too of course. But to get an import and keep an Aussie out - maybe an up and coming kid, i would like to see that they are better than what we have in Australia. I rate Germano and he will clearly improve as well, given his young age, but at present is he better than the likes of Thompson, Srhoj & Sarkies?, maybe, maybe not (which is why I gave him a maybe).

If you look at the ages of those 3, you'd say Germano has his peak to come, Worm is more or less at his peak and Terra is at or passed his peak, which is also a factor you'd want to consider.

I think you'll find that we will start next season with only two of our current imports - Germano and Fred. We should have a set of criteria for all our signings, not just imports.

This is a complex issue that you've raised here. If we take Fred as an example. Yes he's a good player, but was he a good signing?

Similarly (yes, I realise they're not imports) but let's consider 'crowd pulling power.' Last night Craig Goodwin outshone Harry Kewell - by a country mile. But who would be the better signing?

My head hurts. Perhaps this weekend I've watched too much football with not enough goals...

Edited by jw1739

of thompson srhoj sarkies and germano, germano is the only one that has a level of tactical nous that can be compared to that of fred, whilst the others are good players and probably on par with germano except mabye sarkies who i would say is not quite as good, they don't posses the same tactical awereness as germano which IMO would warrant a definate, not just a mabye.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...