Melbourne Football

Let's appoint an Aussie coach for the NT

cheeky18

If Ange becomes Australia coach i'm done with the NT 

Given Australia's lack of genuine strikers (Kennedy being the exception), Ange with his "false 9" seems to be the natural option.

If his tactics weren't so obvious, he might be the right man for the job. Unfortunately Ange seems to take a while to get players used to his systems, and at international level you don't get that time. So club coaching it is for Ange.

He will probably get the gig, but I believe it will be a mistake.

In saying that. Holger Osieck was brought in as an attempt to rejuvinate the squad.....when we are still playing with a backline where everyone is over 30? How can that be rejuvination? ...

That's a fair point, but it's not the issue here.

It's quite clear that Osieck was sacked as a knee-jerk reaction to the two 0-6 defeats by the 8th- and 25th- ranked teams. Not because he played an ageing back line.

If FFA heavies were concerned about aspects of Osieck's performance, such as his squad selections, then they should have discussed those aspects with him. After all, they allegedly appointed him after a rigorous search for someone suitable for the job.

When you're ranked 53rd it is pretty pointless playing teams such as Brazil and France. Far better to be playing matches against teams ranked 40-60 - such as Paraguay, Japan, Austria, Turkey, Wales etc. (the rankings can be seen here: http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html) - when you can assess how some likely new faces in your squad, fringe players, etc. perform against teams roughly of your level. Nobody learns anything when the scoreline is 6-0.

Incidentally, I'd make the same point about playing teams that are far inferior to your own - that's also a waste of time. Some of Heart's pre-season matches are like that.

Osieck wasn't a knee jerk reaction it was a decision that they knew should have been made long ago, but wasn't. Then the two 6-0 nil drubbings gave the FFA an excuse. I know where we stand in terms of world football, but the simple matter is Osieck continually picked players who game after game showed that they have no desire or fight in them, players who took their position for granted. Bit ironic that one of those players came out in the media saying that young players have to fight for their spot, thinking that they are demanding a spot and not earning it. The fact of the matter is that they may not have earned their spot, but the person they wish to replace has definitely done more than enough to lose his. Lucas Neill should be dropped as captain of the Socceroos and never allowed to play again except in shitty tournaments where we let Archie Thompson think he is a good player.

• Like 1

If Ange becomes Australia coach i'm done with the NT 

Given Australia's lack of genuine strikers (Kennedy being the exception), Ange with his "false 9" seems to be the natural option.

If his tactics weren't so obvious, he might be the right man for the job. Unfortunately Ange seems to take a while to get players used to his systems, and at international level you don't get that time. So club coaching it is for Ange.

He will probably get the gig, but I believe it will be a mistake.

I don't think the Australian national team would suit Ange's style of coaching. He needs time with the players to influence them to play correctly. It isn't like coaching Spain or Germany where all the players know what they should do with the ball and without it. 

• Like 1

Any chance of JA getting it?

JA confirmed he is a 0% chance himself on Santo, Sam & Ed's.

If we're going for another foreigner, I suggest we make a play for Marcelo Bielsa but if we're appointing an Aussie (which by all reports is indeed what we're going for), then Ange is probably the man. 

Would screw up Victory's season too which is never a bad thing  ;)

I would love Popovic to get the gig, I think he is the best coach in the country by a country mile. The man took a first year team to finish first on top of the ladder in his first year as a coach, he will do better for the NT. Having said that FFA will get Ange as coach and that will be a pretty good call as well for the NT and Muscat will get the job as Victory coach meaning hatred for Victory will rise higher than I thought it would.

The worst call we can make is appointing Arnold as coach, he has been there and done fuck all, he is a dead set potato and you cant appoint a man who has already been in the job and done nothing.

I would love Popovic to get the gig,

Sorry to say I couldn't agree less.  Coaching internationally is a tough gig- you want an experienced coach.  Poppa has had 1 season as a senior coach and that's it.  Ok he did well and maybe he'll continue to succeed as a club coach but you want him to have to deal with adversity for a while to have the roundness to cope with what would be in front of him.  Lots of guys have had 1 good A League season as a coach - GVE, Vidmar etc.  Doesn't make them legends.

If you look at Ange & Arnie both have coached internationally, both have coached in the ACL.  Ange has a lot more club experience, but Arnie has the more senior international experience (in my view).

Before you write off a coach becasue they didn't meet your expectations in the past remember that you learn more from failure than success.  A coach who has failed (and learned) will be better prepared.

So  Ange has been offered the job. Thoughts?

Shit for the NT, highly overrated manager.

I guess it's good for us, but not as good as others seem to make it out to be, again because he isn't that good. At the least it causes some instability for them.

• Like 1