Melbourne Football

MHFC admin/training move?

HeartFc

I'm from Cranny and I can even admit this would be a horrible move.

Everyone out here couldn't give a fuck about football and the facilities arnt really too flash either. Hopefully it doesn't happen.

Are you also hooked on ice? Correct.

Casey is a large place, not sure why they would look to Crimebourne though. There is a football excelence centre or what ever out at knox city, probly better. As the sth east is afl redneck centre, the outer east has a large population of Dutch and Germans, but whatever happens need to be in the intetest of the club and the improvement / ownership of our facilities.

Casey is a large place, not sure why they would look to Crimebourne though. There is a football excelence centre or what ever out at knox city, probly better. As the sth east is afl redneck centre, the outer east has a large population of Dutch and Germans, but whatever happens need to be in the intetest of the club and the improvement / ownership of our facilities.

I work in a job where I see a hell of a lot of census figures and I have TBH and that no large Dutch or German population has ever popped out at me in Melbourne or in particular in the Outer East of Melbourne. You would also think that there would be Local Soccer clubs in the area that would reflect such a population.

Don't forgot the south east and Casey is full of poms/scots.

These figures I can def vouch for - In fact we have a number of MHFC supporters reflective of this UK population in the SE Area.

Then there are the football clubs such as Frankston Pines, Langwarrin and a couple of smaller clubs. 

Edited by cadete

I work in a job where I see a hell of a lot of census figures and I have TBH and that no large Dutch or German population has ever popped out at me in Melbourne or in particular in the Outer East of Melbourne. You would also think that there would be Local Soccer clubs in the area that would reflect such a population.

Ringwood Wilhelmina?

I work in a job where I see a hell of a lot of census figures and I have TBH and that no large Dutch or German population has ever popped out at me in Melbourne or in particular in the Outer East of Melbourne. You would also think that there would be Local Soccer clubs in the area that would reflect such a population.

Ringwood Wilhelmina?

Yes, http://www.ringwoodcitysc.com.au/the-club/club-history/the-early-beginnings-pre-1960/

Interesting to see the names of teams in 1960 Victorian Provisional League:

http://www.ozfootball.net/ark/States/VIC/1960PLR.html

Hollandia, Dutch Soccer Club

Ringwood Wilhelmina?

Yes, http://www.ringwoodcitysc.com.au/the-club/club-history/the-early-beginnings-pre-1960/

Fair enough there is one older club there but the South-East Coast is growing area with a number of Pom/Clubs with State League history who have both strong growing numbers in juniors and also a strong Ex Pat backing.

In moving to an area - The SE Coast has over the East: Much stronger predicted growth, Larger amounts of juniors, More EST Clubs in and more noticeable population of Soccer fans in all the Ex Pats down there... 

Ringwood Wilhelmina?

Fair enough there is one older club there but the South-East Coast is growing area with a number of Pom/Clubs with State League history who have both strong growing numbers in juniors and also a strong Ex Pat backing.

In moving to an area - The SE Coast has over the East: Much stronger predicted growth, Larger amounts of juniors, More EST Clubs in and more noticeable population of Soccer fans in all the Ex Pats down there... 

ourne

I think you're right. The chippie we had doing some work for us over Christmas is a Pom living in the Cranbourne area and has many other pom mates who are keen on football and closely follow ManU and other EPL sides. His son plays football in the local area. The chippie is kind of keen on HeartFC and was disappointed that we didn't setup in their area. I know it's a survey of one but I got the feeling that we could do well recruiting wise in that area if we had a presence there.

How about Oakleigh and target the Greek market? ? Oh that's right we dont like hellas and those ethnics. Bit hypocritical to target a different ethnic base. If we wanted to target aussies, then cranbourne is definitely the place . They will come to the matches in their blue wife beaters

How about Oakleigh and target the Greek market? ? Oh that's right we dont like hellas and those ethnics. Bit hypocritical to target a different ethnic base. If we wanted to target aussies, then cranbourne is definitely the place . They will come to the matches in their blue wife beaters

I'd say the problem with Hellas was that they're already and established club and not a fan demographic, No mention of tapping into the "aussie" market was made, what was mentioned was the idea of further tapping into the uk ex pat community. Edited by Boffins

I work in a job where I see a hell of a lot of census figures and I have TBH and that no large Dutch or German population has ever popped out at me in Melbourne or in particular in the Outer East of Melbourne. You would also think that there would be Local Soccer clubs in the area that would reflect such a population.

Don't forgot the south east and Casey is full of poms/scots.

These figures I can def vouch for - In fact we have a number of MHFC supporters reflective of this UK population in the SE Area.

Then there are the football clubs such as Frankston Pines, Langwarrin and a couple of smaller clubs.

I don't know anything about the census, but having lived in the Dandenongs and eastern Subs for most of my life, there would have been a mass exodus. Remember not all Dutch surnames begin with Van and not all Germans sound German, take Petersen, an East German name. Also a lot are second Generation, not fobs so probly list themselves as Australian.

But realy it deosn't matter in the sceme of things, it realy was a passing comment.

lol probably in cranny very good looking birds in berwick though had a sore neck from turning my head every half an hour.

Sounds like Baz driving through The Rat at almost 2AM on our  "Moles Detour" on the way back from Adel on the weekend..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

MELBOURNE Heart could be forced to leave La Trobe University if funding is not found for improved facilities.

The A-League club has called the university's Bundoora campus home since its beginning in 2008, but its training and administration facilities are modest by elite standards.

>> Would you rather see Melbourne Heart stay in Bundoora? Have your say below.

The squad uses the lower playing fields for training, which are often declared unavailable due to heavy rain, and the Heart's administration is housed in academic buildings at the top of the campus.

A vision for improved ­facilities has long been on Heart's radar, but chief executive Scott Munn has conceded the club would be forced out if an agreement on funding was not reached by the end of the season.

Melbourne Heart has been approached as a potential suitor to take over Essendon's lease at Windy Hill as the AFL giant prepares to move to a high performance training base at Tullamarine, and Heart has more ­recently been training at Epping Stadium.

"There hasn't been any light at the end of the tunnel, but we'll continue to work hard with all involved,'' Munn said. "It's fair to say if we weren't able to achieve the infrastructure upgrades, we would have to move.

"We don't have a fixed timeline, but there's no question that we couldn't ­remain at La Trobe forever if the facilities weren't to be upgraded.

"We'd have to move to somewhere more appropriate for an elite team."

North Metropolitan state Liberal MP Craig Ondarchie, a supporter of the project, said the he and the university were exploring the possibility of a partnership, but needed to identify funding streams.

University vice-chancellor John Dewar said it was vital Melbourne Heart ­remained in Melbourne's north.

"We want Melbourne Heart to remain our tenant," Mr Dewar said. "We are looking at every option to ­assist with the upgrade of the training pitch."

Mr Ondarchie said he would welcome any discussions of Heart moving to Epping ­Stadium, but Munn said no such plans were in place.

I cant the La Trobe situation working out,

Its well known that the Vice Chancellor has a lot of other problems he considers bigger on his plate ATM and regardless Heart have never really ever seemed to be included amongst his priorities.

I watched a few NYL games at John Cain.

In terms of football, other than a couple of pitches, what other facilities are there? We're talking about administration, hosting corporate visitors and sponsors etc, recovery, physiotherapy, gymnasium, etc. etc.

The NYL teams had to change in facilities that reminded me of the 1960s rather then the 21st century.

• Like 1

In terms of football, other than a couple of pitches, what other facilities are there? We're talking about administration, hosting corporate visitors and sponsors etc, recovery, physiotherapy, gymnasium, etc. etc.

The NYL teams had to change in facilities that reminded me of the 1960s rather then the 21st century.

If my memory is correct, John Cain is right near Darebin International Sport Complex, where the lawn bowls rinks and velodrome are. I believe that Bowls Australia was, as of last year, keen to sell or lease its share of admin space in that building.

If my memory is correct, John Cain is right near Darebin International Sport Complex, where the lawn bowls rinks and velodrome are. I believe that Bowls Australia was, as of last year, keen to sell or lease its share of admin space in that building.

You're quite right. The football ground is at the back of the ISC, and there are three other football pitches there. I'm just enquiring about what other facilities there are at the whole complex.

It's good to see that Heart have come out in public and said the club will move if our training facilities are not upgraded. That should hopefully light a fire La Trobe, or which ever party is dragging their feet, so hopefully some progress can soon be made on upgrading our training facilities.

The upgrade should be possible, as it has been planned from the beginning. In 2010, when an announcement was made about Heart creating a partnership with La Trobe, it was stated that:

La Trobe University’s Melbourne campus will become the inaugural home of A-League football team Melbourne Heart, after an elite sporting partnership was launched today between the University and Australia’s newest professional football team.

The partnership will allow Melbourne Heart access to the University’s playing fields, sports and medical centre for training over a two year period from April 2010, with the potential for an ongoing relationship to be established once this period is complete.

The agreement will see investment to improve the University’s current facilities and sports fields. The football pitches and surrounding administration facilities will be upgraded to FIFA standard and serve as the full-time training base and interim home of the team, during its first two seasons in the A-League. 

(http://www.latrobe.edu.au/news/articles/2010/article/melbourne-heart-at-la-trobe)

Then in 2012, when the Heart and La Trobe partnership was reaffirmed, it was stated that:

Melbourne Heart and La Trobe have extended their successful partnership for another year.  This second stage will see progress being made on the joint venture to develop an elite sports training and administration facility on the sports precinct of La Trobe’s Melbourne campus in Bundoora.

(http://www.latrobe.edu.au/news/articles/2012/article/la-trobe-extends-its-heart)

A Victorian government parliamentary committee, specifically the 'OUTER SUBURBAN/INTERFACE SERVICES AND DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE', held a meeting in 2012, titled 'Inquiry into growing the suburbs — infrastructure and business development in outer suburban Melbourne ', where a La Trobe University representative (Mr David Ensor, La Trobe University vice-president (operations)/chief operating officer) said:

[Mr ENSOR —] In terms of Melbourne Heart, it was a meeting of spirits in the sense that the university is in a new phase of growth. It has fairly strong principles around community involvement and development of community. Melbourne Heart, in its infancy, was an idea, also with fairly strong commitment to community building. It wanted to be a football club of people in a real sense, not just a ‘Sign up your membership’ sense. We saw that it would be of benefit to Melbourne’s north to have a football team based in Melbourne’s north, so we recognised the benefit of working hard to attract that to the north as opposed to it going to other regions of greater Melbourne that were actively pursuing it. We also knew that from a research point of view, to help achieve elite status, the players and coaches could work alongside our various disciplines of physiotherapy, podiatry — 

Mr ONDARCHIE — Health sciences. 

Mr ENSOR — And health sciences. We saw a benefit to our students and researchers, and, most importantly, the benefit we identified was that it would help to break down the misconception that universities are distant, inaccessible places. We saw soccer — or football — being a common currency in Melbourne’s north, probably more so than AFL and particularly with younger kids. We saw that sport and a new team developing into Melbourne’s north created a bridge and a common currency that connected us with them, so we saw it as a key pillar in our engagement with potential students.

In terms of ‘what next’, we certainly want to consolidate Melbourne Heart in Melbourne’s north. We know there is key infrastructure that we need to jointly develop to consolidate their position in Melbourne’s north. We know it is critical, and we know there is key infrastructure that has to be developed to help them and help us reach that next level of partnership. That is currently an issue for development. We also know that research is not a static thing. Problems they encounter and problems that individual players present are a moving feast. The research agenda is a changing one. We see that there is a vibrant relationship. We see that we would be extending their 
involvement in our school’s engagement strategy, taking them into schools with students in a subtle way — not too over the top — to bring potential students and the university together and bring kids onto campus into football clinics. It has been a mutual trajectory of us refining our mission and them growing theirs. 

Mr ONDARCHIE — It seems to me you are getting a lot more community people attending La Trobe as a result of that. 

Mr ENSOR — Absolutely. 

Mr ONDARCHIE — Are the facilities appropriate for that? 

Mr ENSOR — Our facilities are fairly limited. We are talking about an A-league team essentially playing in a marsh. It is a poor facility that, as I said, we are hoping to upgrade. It is critical to retain them in Melbourne’s north, so we are both actively pursuing that. 

(http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/images/stories/committees/osisdv/Growing_the_Suburbs/Transcripts/8_6.03.2012_Ensor__Harris_Corrected.pdf)

Here's a nice lighthearted part of that formal committee meeting, provided by the politician Craig Ondarchie, which shows that Heart has some political connections:

[...]

Mr ENSOR — It is a key issue. You are quite correct; we have omitted to mention it, but that is quite central to what we do in exposing students in schools to a university. For that reason we have a key partnership with the Melbourne Heart soccer team in Melbourne’s north. 

Mr ONDARCHIE — Yes! Go the Heart!

What all the above information tells me is that the redevelopment of the training facilities at La Trobe should be possible. It has been carefully planned for years. It has even been planned since the beginning of the Heart and La Trobe partnership. All relevant parties, Heart, La Trobe, government, appear to have been fully informed about the redevelopment. So now it's just a matter of getting all involved parties to supply what they have to, whether that's money, political capital or time/effort.

If all parties can't do their required work in unison, then I guess Heart have to move on. I don't think you can fault Heart's management for the situation with Heart's training facilities, though. It looks like either La Trobe and/or government dropped the ball.

At least we sorted out good facilities for our preseason. Hopefully we sort out good facilities for the long term soon as well.

Edited by Murfy1

North melbourne got $5.7M from state govt towards Arden St redevelopment

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/construction-starts-on-15m-arden-street-redevelopment.544887/

NSW state government throwing money around like confetti for Skoda stadium and GWS training facility at Homebush

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/phil-rothfield-argues-gws-giants-have-received-favourable-funding-compared-to-rugby-league-clubs/story-e6frf33l-1226646083823

And the HeartFC ???? Do we need a chook raffle or Munn standing on street corners selling the Big Issue?