Melbourne Football

A-league expansion

Pigeon

I was born in and lived in Rockingham until I was 20 and it's hard to say. A lot of the original shed guys are British expats from Rockingham. If a team started in Fremantle you would have to think it would have a more European (Italian) influence in terms of the make up of the support at least.

Whether that would be reconciled with the British fan base you'd pull from Rockingham / mandurah I'm not so sure. But as far as geographical divides go it's definitely a North / south divide that would work. Majority of AFL supporters in Rockingham / Mandurah are dockers fans due to them being seen as a team for South of the river so don't think people from further south have an issue with Fremantle being viewed as the capital of the south so to speak.

With all the shit going on at Glory between rival groups of fans if a new club hypothetically started up I'd imagine you'd see plenty jump ship from Glory.

As someone from regional Victoria, I'd love to see more teams be created in key regional cities, thinking Wollongong, Townsville mk.II, Geelong, Bendigo, or Ballarat. And while many of these cities are going to experience some major growth over the next 20-30 years, it's nothing compared to what the capital cities will have. Melb, Bris, Syd, and Perth are all nearly going to double in that same timeframe, so paying extra clubs in these areas makes most commercial sense. I think the only way regional cities will make it is if the A-League one expands to have a 2nd division. 

As for CFG buying AAMI Park, I can't really see that happening, but the Victorian Government does love to sell off public assets, so we can always hope.

The problem with Regional teams is infrastructure. Of the above listed locations only Townsville has a football specific stadium and the QLD Govt charges clubs a ridiculous amount to use the venues. 

The FFA needs to get submissions coming in for expansion and get all of these areas to start planning now for the next expansion so they have the best possible chance of success.

Fuck NSW. Gallop is trying to turn the league into the nrl. Why not have some balls and make a second Perth or Adelaide team or even try and get gold coast back up and running?

Because a third team in Sydney is more viable than a second team in either Perth or Adelaide There's two afl teams in both Adelaide and Perth and all 4 are thriving so I don't understand how those two areas are less viable than Sydney? Because nobody gives a fuck about the ALeague in Adelaide or Perth

I think there would be a potential for a second team in WA down the track especially if the population keeps growing the way it has recently. Would probably have to be in Fremantle or elsewhere south of the river. Is a strong south v North of river divide. Similar to Sydney / west Sydney where south of the river is the working class and inner North seen as more affluent. Is essentially what makes the freo, wce rivalry.

The problem for Perth is Glory's lack of success in the a-league. In the nsl days they we're talk of the town because they were winning. Outside of afl, WA will jump on winning teams band wagons. The wildcats get ridiculous crowds in the NBL and the scorchers sell out every game because they are winning.

The constant failings of Glory has all but ruined any interest in the a-league here. Would take a fair few years of sustained success to bring it back up again. But I wouldn't say it is impossible for a new club in Perth to work in the future.

At one stage at the Glory's height I think a Fremantle side almost entered the NSL... I was dead keen to support them as a 16 year old.

• 3 weeks later...

Illawarra A-League expansion on the horizon with South Sydney team

By Justin Huntsdale The Illawarra could play a role in an A-League expansion that includes a South Sydney team, South Coast Football chairman Eddy De Gabriele says.PrintEmailPermalinkShare

A report from News Limited says a new A League team based in the Sutherland Shire could be part of the national soccer league in 2017.

The team would make use of Kogarah Oval, Shark Park and WIN Stadium as home grounds in a move that could boost interest in soccer in the Illawarra.

Ever since the Wollongong Wolves left the national soccer competition in 2004, the region has been calling for another seat at the national table.

"They [Football Federation Australia] saying to us they're thinking of ways to maximise the [A League] brand and they see our region as a key to it," Mr De Gabriele says.

"We have a terrific nursery and they want to make sure the Illawarra can tap into the A League and FFA programs.

"We meet them one on one on a regular basis and they say 'don't get disillusioned because you didn't get a home of football, we're still supporting you'."

The move would see soccer make inroads into traditional rugby league areas currently held by the Cronulla Sutherlands Sharks and the St George Illawarra Dragons.

But games at Kogarah Oval in Kogarah and WIN Stadium in Wollongong have decreased in recent years, and regular use of those grounds would be welcomed by stadium administrators.

Mr De Gabriele says not only could the region support a club in south Sydney, it would draw fans from elsewhere.

"Identity is a challenge but these days even teams that are geographically created don't geographically operate.

"I don't think distance is a problem - people follow a brand and a club and what their heart tells them to follow.

"The idea of having some games in the Illawarra means everyone can get to it."

The FFA has already indicated they are interested in two new teams for the competition by 2017 when the TV rights deal is up for renewal.

It makes sense that South Sydney could be a viable option for the code.

Mr De Gabriele says another club would help bring the league up to a 12 team competition, which he says is ideal.

"Some of the other codes are running too big [with too many teams] and are watering down their bases.

"We could have a Japanese or Korean side - there's always ways of expanding the world game."

I think he was talking about this

Illawarra A-League expansion on the horizon with South Sydney team

The Illawarra could play a role in an A-League expansion that includes a South Sydney team, South Coast Football chairman Eddy De Gabriele say
s.

A report from News Limited says a new A League team based in the Sutherland Shire could be part of the national soccer league in 2017.

The team would make use of Kogarah Oval, Shark Park and WIN Stadium as home grounds in a move that could boost interest in soccer in the Illawarra.

Ever since the Wollongong Wolves left the national soccer competition in 2004, the region has been calling for another seat at the national table.

"They [Football Federation Australia] saying to us they're thinking of ways to maximise the [A League] brand and they see our region as a key to it," Mr De Gabriele says.

"We have a terrific nursery and they want to make sure the Illawarra can tap into the A League and FFA programs.

"We meet them one on one on a regular basis and they say 'don't get disillusioned because you didn't get a home of football, we're still supporting you'."

The move would see soccer make inroads into traditional rugby league areas currently held by the Cronulla Sutherlands Sharks and the St George Illawarra Dragons.

But games at Kogarah Oval in Kogarah and WIN Stadium in Wollongong have decreased in recent years, and regular use of those grounds would be welcomed by stadium administrators.

Mr De Gabriele says not only could the region support a club in south Sydney, it would draw fans from elsewhere.

"Identity is a challenge but these days even teams that are geographically created don't geographically operate.

"I don't think distance is a problem - people follow a brand and a club and what their heart tells them to follow.

"The idea of having some games in the Illawarra means everyone can get to it."

The FFA has already indicated they are interested in two new teams for the competition by 2017 when the TV rights deal is up for renewal.

It makes sense that South Sydney could be a viable option for the code.

Mr De Gabriele says another club would help bring the league up to a 12 team competition, which he says is ideal.

"Some of the other codes are running too big [with too many teams] and are watering down their bases.

"We could have a Japanese or Korean side - there's always ways of expanding the world game."

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2014/06/23/4031269.htm

For Victoria there are only 2 options IMO, Get South Melbourne in that would create 3 10,000 plusin Vic (SM always going to be a reliable source of supporters, FFA knows this that they have SM to fall back on, just like they had WSW as GC pulled out)

and secondly there is the massive catchment 30km out from the city to the east and more generally south east. 

Maybe a Dandenong team, That would be epic IMO

As for some other suggestions, I doubt a Geelong team would work in terms of interest 

Ballarat and Bendigo Im not sold on either

Dandenong, now that would be funny. Problem with that is all of the south east of Melbourne would be embarrassed to support a dandenong based team. It would have to be a "south east" team but that would be a long term thing too.

Sad thing is, most of us will be dead before we see a league that's got 16+ teams including relegation.

Hopefully one day my grandson will captain a Dandenong team to premiership glory.

• Like 2

I think, Canberra, Wollongong, another Qld team and Geelong. All 3 cities (plus another Qld Rival city) have a massive football following and have capability to draw crowds between 5-10k, which is acceptable for smaller cities. Naturally, then need large investors to bank roll, I see this as a reality if new Intl groups that own existing teams step in (like Cfg). One of the reasons why many game lovers are extremely optimistic with the sport in our country - it's only a matter of time when another rich team/owners branch out to oz. City will be trend setters.

South Melbourne is a ridiculous option.

Why bring back ethnic teams after all the shit FFA went to get rid of them and it's only now paying off.

Not to mention they hardly have any supporters left.

'South Melbourne' is also hardly a geographical area many identify with.

I'm all for a 3rd Melbourne team, but it won't be South Melbourne.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 3

If I was in charge:

Wollongong, Gold Coast, 2nd Brisbane and Canberra would be the next four in no particular order.

Then Third Sydney, South Melbourne, Townsville and Geelong will all probably be viable.

But there is already a Geelong team!  Not sure they can squeeze another side in there along with the incumbent.

Ipswich and Wollongong come to mind as genuine options.

I think Wollongong is the best option for the next team. A good crowd for the FFA Cup game again Central Coast will go a long way in my opinion.

I hope this game is televised because I reckon it'd be a top match! 

Wollongong just makes sense to me as it's a largely populated city with strong football roots, it has produced high profile players in the past who can endorse and inspire the locals to get behind the club, it already has a perfectly sized stadium in WIN Stadium (23,750 capacity) ready to go and is within a reasonable distance of the other NSW clubs which is good for local rivalries and extra away support. 

• Like 1

I think Wollongong is the best option for the next team. A good crowd for the FFA Cup game again Central Coast will go a long way in my opinion.

Wollongong just makes sense to me as it's a largely populated city with strong football roots, it has produced high profile players in the past who can endorse and inspire the locals to get behind the club, it already has a perfectly sized stadium in WIN Stadium (23,750 capacity) ready to go and is within a reasonable distance of the other NSW clubs which is good for local rivalries and extra away support. 

Exactly!

Also, I think Sydney are going to play a game there this season?

Why bring back ethnic teams after all the shit FFA went to get rid of them and it's only now paying off.

When was the last south game you went to?

The majority of supporters we have left are aussies

Exactly!

Yeah, against Newcastle! That would attract a few I would imagine.

Exactly!

Yeah, against Newcastle! That would attract a few I would imagine.

Yup, this season is going to be make or break for a Wollongong team. If they get good crowds the FFA should seriously consider it.

• Like 1

But they are Oceania team of the century?

A few years now, and yeah it did seem the supporters were Aussie like you say even then, much to my surprise.

But it doesn't change anything I said TBH.

Yep im not disputing it tesla. Just making it known that most greeks jumped ship years ago.

The stadium is leased to smfc jimmy.

They do not OWN it outright.

Government owned and shared tenancy with athletics victoria.

I think they own all rights to football games at the venue which was part of the deal they made. Might also be why we never played a game there for our smaller gamers where it's capacity would make more sense.

Yep im not disputing it tesla. Just making it known that most greeks jumped ship years ago.

The stadium is leased to smfc jimmy.

They do not OWN it outright.

Government owned and shared tenancy with athletics victoria.

I think they own all rights to football games at the venue which was part of the deal they made. Might also be why we never played a game there for our smaller gamers where it's capacity would make more sense. They have played w league and nyl games there im pretty sure

They own their stadium don't they? That's a lot of the costs already covered. Plus even bigger FFA contribution because the tv deal should be bigger by then. I can see them doing fine in the A-League.

They have a very cosy long term lease of the stadium, due to having to re-negotiate their lease due to Collingwood taking over Olympic Park and Sth Melb having to share the redeveloped stadium with Athletics Victoria. Which put them in a very strong position to negotiate a cheap deal as well as catering and drinks rights to the stadium which would give them a huge advantage in match day revenue compared to other sides.

They have a lot of backers with deep pockets as well as the nous to run a club, but if given the license they should be put on a very short leash and the Sth Melbourne name should be dropped and Southern Cross used to give them a fresh start.

A few years now, and yeah it did seem the supporters were Aussie like you say even then, much to my surprise.

I have been to numerous South games in the past four years and the vast majority of fans are still Greek...

There are def more Anglos present than at other NPL1 games but lets not go overboard on this perception which seems to gain more and more legs every time it is brought up.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

I have been to numerous South games in the past four years and the vast majority of fans are still Greek...

There are def more Anglos present than at other NPL1 games but lets not go overboard on this perception which seems to gain more and more legs every time it is brought up.

Well you're probably right about the fans in general, I was talking about what would be their equivalent of 'active supporters', all anglo by the loook of it (based on the one game I saw a few years ago, so can't know if that's the usual situation)

Well you're probably right about the fans in general, I was talking about what would be their equivalent of 'active supporters', all anglo by the loook of it (based on the one game I saw a few years ago, so can't know if that's the usual situation)

That is true... they have a few of these SSN (Sport Supporter Nerds) types involved at their games.

That is true... they have a few of these SSN (Sport Supporter Nerds) types involved at their games. Yes. Yes we do. They're harmless

• 1 month later...

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/expansion-on-the-agenda-ahead-of-2017-tv-deal/2pvkj9kzluu51ir22ea17arwe

So looks like the next round of expansion might happen after 2017, with 2nd license for Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth being considered for the new TV deal.

Also been a lot of talk in SA, after Adelaide City's win against the Wanderers, about them being a contender to be promoted to the A-League in the future.

• Like 1

I'd rather see a Tassy team than a second adelaide, brisbane or perth tbh. Probably a bigger market I'd imagine (one team state)?.

Either that or slowly relocate victory to tassy

Perth is growing at an alarming rate and there is a notable South/North of the Swan River Divide which could assist with a new team based South of the River (Fremantle/Rockingham) finding an immediate Supporter Base like WSW were able to do so despite SFC's head start.

I think the Adelaide talk is more a sleepy town's local media trying to find a new story somewhere like you find in the Geelong Ablettiser each week... the place's population growth has stalled for years and the unemployment rates there ATM don't paint a great picture for a new team either...

If I was being selfish I would like a Tassy team too because the place is a great holiday and obviously also nearby.

Edited by cadete

I hope the FFA consider revisiting Queensland as an option for expansion whether that be back to North Queensland or Gold Coast, or perhaps a second team in Brisbane or Ipswich. I think the market for another team in Queensland is definitely still there but the process behind setting the club up has to be significantly improved over last time or else we'll end up with yet another defunct club again. 

Perth and Adelaide are both interesting talking points as I'm not convinced either city is "big enough" with regards to football support and I think that's exemplified through Glory and United who both should probably be attracting more support than they have over the years. 

I still think Wollongong is a viable option for expansion but it'll certainly be telling to see how full WIN Stadium is tomorrow night for the clash between the Wolves and the Mariners.