Melbourne Football

Sack John Didulica

LR9

Let's have a look who he has brought in the last couple of years from outside the a-league

Germano - tick

Gerhardt - tick

Garcia - tick

Tadic - tick

Fred - neither tick or cross

Worm - neither tick or cross

Terra - neither tick or cross

Maycon - cross

Gray - cross

Grella - cross

I have probably missed a couple, but that's not a terrible strike rate. But there is a lack of a real big name there

• Like 1

Let's have a look who he has brought in the last couple of years from outside the a-league

Germano - tick

Gerhardt - tick

Garcia - tick

Tadic - tick

Fred - neither tick or cross (Alex Tobin Medalist) Tick

Worm - neither tick or cross

Terra - neither tick or cross

Maycon - cross

Gray - cross

Grella - cross

I have probably missed a couple, but that's not a terrible strike rate. But there is a lack of a real big name there

Wasn't he the guy who brought in Garcia, Tadic and Gerhardt aka our 3 best players? Grella was always a risk, we knew that from the beginning, it's sad that's it turned out the way it has but shit happens.

If you through enough stones, you'll eventually break a window...

He was also the guy who brought us and advised the club on resigning JVS regardless of results, he was the one who had the most influential say in the Aloisi and Foxe appointments and for me he is the spearhead of the open acceptance of mediocrity at the club.

Honestly, I was his biggest fan but he is the one who is accountable for the football department, and should suffer the consequences of his actions. What has he done to help Aloisi settle in? What's his plan B, C? He said last week that Aloisi would be a 10 year coach with us before heading over to Europe or some shit... really?

A few things of the top of my head (I may be slightly milking a few)

- Re-signed Hoffman and let Goodwin, Taseski, Zahra, Sarkies walk away,

- Signed Paul Ried, Dean Heffernan, Beachamp and Sarkies,

- Signed Colosimo and Thmpson on 700k and 600k 3-year deals respectively,

- Took us in to season two with an unfit Bolton and Nikola Roganovic (lost two games because of it),

- Didn't re-sign Sibon and took us in to a season with Maycon as our number one striker,

- Still has not addressed the issues we have had in defense since day one,

- Wastes a VISA spot on Steven Gray, says he will provide experience and will be vital for Vrankovic's development... OK,

- Spends 2 months searching for a solid defensive-mid in Gerhardt, plays him at CB after signing Gray and Vrankovic,

- Says Dmac will provide a ruthless David Villa/Fernando Llorente type partnership with Tadic, lol,

- Sign's Grella as saviour...

TBH, I don't really think he should be sacked because there is absolutely NO-ONE that would want to join our club who would be any more compliant. But he does need a kick up the arse.

LOL thread is funny.

Not JD fault and he does good work!

You want a scapegoat? You want to blame someone? Blame our board members who have no idea. These muppets have held us back and we fight with one arm behind our back because of these fuckers.

They wanted to "own" a club on the cheap, probably to big note themselves to their other rich mates. They can fuck right off.

Scott Munn, Johnny D are doing their best in the situation they find themselves in.

Sack the board and all that!

• Like 2

LR9 the point on Gerhardt hits the nail on the head. Gerhardt has arguably been our best player this season and is an outstanding talent. He was signed as a DM but we play him as a CB? He has done a great job at CB, but if the visa spot we wasted on Gray was used on a high quality CB and Gerhardt was playing in the midfield we would be controlling a lot more games than we are.

It's not as much the signings, but in the way they were signed.

Gerhardt (who I rate)but- was said at the end of season 2. Def Mid our top priority. Enter patty G. Hamill leaves and he gets put in as our new CB (So much for our gun DM)

Gray - Visa spot, played one game, slight chance he might get another game with colosimo out for 4-5 weeks. Waste of visa

Gol Gol - Hadn't scored a goal before coming to us. Has done ok, but been injured. From what I heard he was signed already having OP.

Tadic - I think is a good player, but needs support to get the best out of him.

Garcia - Been good, but was it planned or just feel in our lap ?? Also was talking about playing as our gun DM !!

'2 weeks' Grella - Answer to all our problems according to some. If only we can get him fit by before the end of the season. Retired

We still don't have our gun DM !!!

The one major thing the club said it was looking for.

Have we had any planning in our signings or just pick up whatever comes along.

Then there's Hoffman - Signs a new deal. Doesn't look like he's going to be played as a forward and made in to a midfielder. Obviously he's looks like a guy that can plug holes. Really !! Who's idea was this.

I feel sorry for Hoffman. Is he any good, no, but he tries and just wants to play. Pressure should be put on the people that pick him. We all know what we are getting.

Going in to this season, taking out the late sigining of Garcia, PG moved to CB, our best midfield would probably be...

Thompson - Past it

Germanio - Good player, but I feel he's more or a support midfielder than the main man

Fred - Body more fragile than a pavlova yet no where near as delicious.

Our back up to them is Hoffman and Kalma !!!

I cant even hear the alarm bells anymore because they just blend in to the background they have been ringing that long.

Maybe I'm missing something. But there doesn't seem to be much of a plan there. It's just sign a player and hope they can fit in.

• Like 3

Germano fell in our lap, his agent appraoched the club and that's how he got a trial IIRC

Sibon + Worm would have definitely been players brought by JVS. Sibon was a big tick, Worm started off well but dopped off due to his health.

Terra was a hit and a miss, could never really find consistency.

Gerhardt was found by Skoko if you remember.

Fred is a great player when playing and when he's in good form, but we all know about his injury history. Can't really say he was 'discovered' by the club when he had already played in the a-league before.

Tadic has impressed me and i think he's a good palyer, but he still needs to have a very strong end to the season before he can be labelled as a success IMO

Ever since the 'JVS era' where young players like Babalj, Hamill, Curtis Good, Marrone, Behich were brought into the club and really developed into quality players, we haven't really seen too much of that this season where a young player has been discovered by the coaching staff pretty much out of no where, and has shown really good signs. JVS was good at picking out young talent like that with potential, where as it's yet to be seen with Aloisi, maybe a bit early to call though.

Edited by heart_fan10

Duke of Hearts, you do make a good point, becuase I'm in the mood lol, that is the managers job, to play players to their stregnths and to improve movement to minimalise mistakes, with Heart's philosophy we should be fielding youth in areas not covered by quality signings. The problem is we do not produce youth, we sign them from other clubs. Our division 2 side is great, but imagine if it went all the way down through the ages.

But in essence I agree, i also am dismayed by our movement, especially off the ball even with jvs, but i like a fluent brand of football and beleive it creates and hides a lot.

Let's be fair about this.

Thompson was one of the original squad and was signed to a 3-year contract. Kalmar was signed on Jv$'s watch, and his quickly contract extended to the end of this current 2012-13 season when other clubs began to show an interest in him. Hoffman's contract was also extended while Jv$ was coach. The Jv$ watch also saw lemons such as Roganovic, Reid and Maycon. And also refused to give Sibon one more year when he was prepared to stay.

I agree that we can rightly 'blame' the present managerial team for the Gray fiasco and also for signing the DM to end all DMs and then playing him at CB. But no club gets it right all the time - look at the number of players being 'moved on' during the present transfer window.

IMO if we've erred at all it's been not so much that we've signed certain players, rather that we haven't been active enough in moving them on when we've found they are no longer suitable for whatever reason.

Fooking hell! If we didn't have a VISA spot tied up with Gray we could have offered Bas van den Brink a deal...

Had his contract terminated at Perth Glory today.

Can we terminate Gray and sign VDB

We should have encouraged Gray to retire from the A-League long ago. It's basically too late for VDB - he's going to sign with Churchill Brothers in India.

With recruiting, I reckon the worst decisions have been the ones the coaches wanted.

Wasting a visa spot for Gray looks like Aloisi's choice.

2 year contract for Macallister as well.

Maycon was probably scouted by JVS when he went to South America.

Grella was a chance that didn't come off. But it was worth giving it a go. Generally I think the squads have been alright and gotten better year by year.

I think Aloisi was the wrong choice for coach, but that's the board's responsibility. Don't know if Didulica had much to do with it. Without having any inside knowledge, it looks to me like Didulica is the only bloke at the club who knows what he's doing. Just keep JA away from recruiting.

• Like 1

What exactly is his specific role? Just to recruit?

Earlier in the year Mark Bosnich said that he feels it is important in any football club to have the manager run the show as the sole leader, that way the blame/praise for results rests completely in his hands. I remember thinking at the time that JD is a waste of resources for this very reason, surely what he does should be left to Aloisi? I believe that is why Ange has been so successful, he clearly has control of everything at the Victory, and did so in Brisbane as well.

What exactly is his specific role? Just to recruit?

Earlier in the year Mark Bosnich said that he feels it is important in any football club to have the manager run the show as the sole leader, that way the blame/praise for results rests completely in his hands. I remember thinking at the time that JD is a waste of resources for this very reason, surely what he does should be left to Aloisi? I believe that is why Ange has been so successful, he clearly has control of everything at the Victory, and did so in Brisbane as well.

He has final say but Trimboli and his scouting network he has at his disposal.

I think people need to realise modern football requires a lot to get a player to the club. Different agents and agendas you don't want your Manager tied up in the whole process. Sure he should have a say what type of player he wants and approve of signings, but you need someone to do the work.

As a matter of interest, the Newcastle people were very positive towards JD and his negotiation process, he was able to have that contract for Eli, so he has some idea. Personally I think he has been able to sign some pretty good players and the absolute shocking signings have had managers finger prints all over them.

Ang has massive resources afforded to him. A scouting network second to none in the league and in Trimboli an close friend who does all the negotiating.

We have no resources. Our board are the problem. They want to be "owners" of a football club but don't want to invest their money like they need to. I want to know what was going on in their head when they put it all together?

If we had better resources, we would have better scouting, better medical team, better fitness guys, more experience on the coaching panel and probably would be in the top 4 of this league looking great. The clubs only interest is breaking even! This is the BIG problem.

If they did invest I have no doubt we would have better results and more members and crowd. Club are small minded.

So whilst Munn and JD are the faces coping it, the cowards in the back should be the ones being questioned.

Also anything Bosnich says should be disregarded.

Edited by Melburnian
  • Like 1

Bring back Arthur Papas, is the only assistant who actually made JA look like he could coach and on top we wouldn't have lost Goodwin if we bothered to keep him!

We should have made the educated decision at the time and hired Ante Milicic as our Manager, and made JA his assistant.

• Like 1

The biggest mistake was not making Ante Millicic the manager.

He had previous senior coaching experience at Sydney United, which JA didn't.

He had IMO earned his stripes, which JA hasn't as a manager.

Now this wasn't the making of JD, it was that of the board who declared in their minds that to attract more fans we needed to have a "BIG NAME" as a manager, who people who weren't football fans knew of.

This huge PR campaign with JA as manager has backfired and with Marrone and Behich our season could fall off a cliff.

It should be a football club striving to win games and championships, not trying to run at a profit, even if it comes at the expense of players being sold to ensure this profit is achieved.