Melbourne Football

Victorian NPL & State Leagues

Ando

Decent match. Finished 3-2 Northcote's way after 30 minutes of extra time. Bentleigh almost equalised in the dying seconds, but were denied by the goalie. 

Terrible commentary on the stream, I had to chuck it on mute for most of the time. Felt like I was listening to horse racing or something.

Terrible commentary on the stream, I had to chuck it on mute for most of the time. Felt like I was listening to horse racing or something.

Agreed. Greg Blake wasn't bad, but Doug Hodgson, shut the fuck up. 

Wait until you have to listen to A-League on Grandstand. Glad the A-League is being covered, but the coverage is just not cricket. Oh wait a minute, stylistically yes it is.

Anyone seen a crowd number released for the game??? Didn't look like many at all on the Live Stream, would be surprised if it was more than 1,500. Playing in 45 minutes after our game would've been better.

I'd say a 1000 at most. There were bugger all supporters there except for a little section where most of the post-game photos were taken. The majority there had probably just turned up early for the Heart match.

Anyone catch the speech made by the Northcote captain? Fair enough he was excited, but it was just crap for what is meant to be the biggest soccer match in Victoria (excluding the national comp). Goes to show what the VPL has been reduced to.

• 1 month later...

Why the fuck we didn't give this guy a call when Dylan Macallister went down I don't know.

Look TBH his untested at the level - So even though he might suceed at A League level he is still a unknown.

If Hoffman was delisted and put in a VPL side that dominated the league then he too would have probably scored 30 goals as a Striker as well. This does not make him up to A League standard as a Striker, Midfielder or Defender.

Dandenong thunder saying that they will be part of the NPL and demand $1,200 up front for juniors to play with them.

Don't see how this could produce the best players since I reckon this will sting a lot of parents bank accounts and they would be discouraged to have their kids play high grade football

Edited by Young Polak

Dandenong thunder saying that they will be part of the NPL and demand $1,200 up front for juniors to play with them.

Don't see how this could produce the best players since I reckon this will sting a lot of parents bank accounts and they would be discouraged to have their kids play high grade football

The Albanians already pay grand sums anyway for their kids to play football at Dandy... its a Community Thing.

So I am pretty sure they will take the Price Hike.

Will be interesting to see if the establishment of a Australia wide NPL will now see the end of the expensive NYL and in turn whether MHFC will field a side (Of mainly Youth Players) in the NPL instead.

IMO this would be a good move as it would mean a lot more football throughout the year getting into our young players legs and more MHFC football for us to watch in Winter.

I think you'd need both, wouldn't you? One of them would be a winter season and one would be a summer season, you couldn't have your youth doing nothing in summer and then expect them to suddenly step up mid-season.

I thought one of the proposals for the NPL is for to go for a lot longer than the old State Leagues so that Young Players are playing the game for over two thirds of the year.

Alongside this the NYL has always lost the A League a lot of money so I could see them wanting to change the format.

Edited by cadete

I think you'd need both, wouldn't you? One of them would be a winter season and one would be a summer season, you couldn't have your youth doing nothing in summer and then expect them to suddenly step up mid-season.

I thought one of the proposals for the NPL is for to go for a lot longer than the old State Leagues so that Young Players are playing the game for over two thirds of the year.

How many games they'll play I think remains an unknown, and dependent on a few factors. The key thing is that they'll be involved for 10 months of the year, even if a lot of that is training, which they'll be expected to do four times a week. 

What it does do is force players to commit solely to soccer from a very early age. Little time for rest, and no choice of playing a summer sport. But that seems to be the way of things these days.

Alongside this the NYL has always lost the A League a lot of money so I could see them wanting to change the format.

Ah, I had no idea about that, but it makes a lot of sense.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure of the league we're in, likely State 4 but the make up of the leagues hasn't been decided due to the NPL shenanigans (which I think could be settled by today? Or at the latest the first week of February). But if the leagues are re-shuffled as one of the ITK guys thinks, we could end up with a pretty easy division. 

It'll be interesting to see how it all works out in regard to the new NPL structure. As long as Richmond keep playing on Friday nights I don't kind either way.

We've got away trips to Bendigo, Ballarat, Morwell (!) and twice to Frankston. Ugh.