Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart Stats

LR9

wow never knew it was that bad...

imagine we didn't have retards coming off the bench? we'd be easily in the top 4

The problem is these blokes don't need to come off the bench. 70 minutes comes around and they just fall off as others are dragged, for no apparent reason except it's time.

wow never knew it was that bad...

imagine we didn't have retards coming off the bench? we'd be easily in the top 4

The problem is these blokes don't need to come off the bench. 70 minutes comes around and they just fall off as others are dragged, for no apparent reason except it's time.

IMO one major area where JA has largely failed - bench management.

It's not Hoffman. It's much bigger than that.

Aloisi on TWG tonight said that players are sitting back too much late in games, giving up possession, and inviting the pressure. (Which is pretty obvious to anyone who's been watching us.) It isn't a fitness issue, or the way we want to play. He want's them to play the last part of the game no differently to the start of the game.

Which sounds ok, but why is it still happening when it's happened so many times already this year? Why hasn't anything changed? How many times does it have to cost us before something is done about it?

Aloisi on TWG tonight said that players are sitting back too much late in games, giving up possession, and inviting the pressure. (Which is pretty obvious to anyone who's been watching us.) It isn't a fitness issue, or the way we want to play. He want's them to play the last part of the game no differently to the start of the game.

Which sounds ok, but why is it still happening when it's happened so many times already this year? Why hasn't anything changed? How many times does it have to cost us before something is done about it?

Is he therefore admitting that he can't do the job, because AFAIK it's his job to fix it? Either by motivation or by discipline or a mixture of both. If he's honest, it's not only 'late' in games that we sit back - often the team that comes out after half-time doesn't look anything like the team that went in.

Is he therefore admitting that he can't do the job, because AFAIK it's his job to fix it? Either by motivation or by discipline or a mixture of both. If he's honest, it's not only 'late' in games that we sit back - often the team that comes out after half-time doesn't look anything like the team that went in.

Well publicly at least, he doesn't seem to be taking any personal responsibility. But I agree, ultimately the buck has to stop with someone. But I can understand why publicly he wouldn't want to invite further pressure by conceding that it's his fault.

He's a new coach and he's going to get things wrong. (Experienced coaches don't get things right 100% of the time.) But he needs to fix it now.

Edited by Sash

He's hardly going to give his solution on national TV but I'd like to hear it at the fan forum and the players need to hear it and understand it. As the Sydney gane showed, 80 minutes of good play is undone every week with a collapse. I think that we need to make Garcia the captain too as he has stronger on field leadership

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

I'm more confused after that interview then I was before it. He was open with what is happening, gave reasons why it was happening, but no solution. Does he know how to fix it? Will he make the necessary changes required? Does he know what's required?

Hmmmmmm.

I agree. I don't get to listen to Aloisi much, but I didn't see anything wrong with what he was saying tonight. But I'm left with the same questions as you.

Now I've never played football competitively, I've played Aussie Rules all my life. Now these late fade outs are usually put down to poor fitness. Yet with such a long pre-season I see no reason as to why we are fading so badly late in games. If it is down to fitness the Strength and Conditioning coach should be told to pack his bags.

Our second halves are best described as shithouse. Those stats really are fucking bad

I'm more confused after that interview then I was before it. He was open with what is happening, gave reasons why it was happening, but no solution. Does he know how to fix it? Will he make the necessary changes required? Does he know what's required?

Hmmmmmm.

I agree. I don't get to listen to Aloisi much, but I didn't see anything wrong with what he was saying tonight. But I'm left with the same questions as you.

What he said was fine. He even came across as someone in control. But yeah, I have no clue if the problem will be fixed with him in charge.

This is not a sack JA thing, but as a supporter of this club, I still have some huge concerns.

I'm not convinced its a fitness thing. They've got a dedicated fitness regime that is trialled and tested with the likes of Brisbane and other European clubs (can't recall the name).

If expect that if it WAS fitness it'd happen less as the team gets fitter through the season.

For me it spells lack of belief and a mental thing. They're not living in the present. They have lapses in concentration (which some would argue is a result of fitness fatigue) but when you're worried about "losing like last time" you're going to be more worried about that than doing what you need to do.

But wasn't holding on against Newcastle, and to some extent Brisbane, meant to give them the confidence that they can hold a lead? We put up with that crap in the second half of the Newcastle game just so they could get an 'ugly win' and get their confidence back. Well, clearly that didn't work and things went backwards again in the Sydney game. So frustrating!

But wasn't holding on against Newcastle, and to some extent Brisbane, meant to give them the confidence that they can hold a lead? We put up with that crap in the second half of the Newcastle game just so they could get an 'ugly win' and get their confidence back. Well, clearly that didn't work and things went backwards again in the Sydney game. So frustrating!

I have to agree that it always seems to be one step forwards and then one step backwards with this club... and it’s so hard to get new supporters or our more silent supporters to come to our games when the team always appears to be treading water.

Also on the Hoff thing, I honestly think if he had been put in the Centre when he had come on and not that poor kid in his first game his bigger body would of at least been able to help us out a bit more defend our lead a bit better.

Edited by cadete

Spurs had the same problem in the premier league, with switching off and conceding so many late goals.

Apparently AVB changed all of the trainings around and did all the mentallly challenging drills towards the end, to keep them focused!

Be nice if they managed to fix this, sick of all the late goals we concede.

Spurs had the same problem in the premier league, with switching off and conceding so many late goals.

Apparently AVB changed all of the trainings around and did all the mentallly challenging drills towards the end, to keep them focused!

Be nice if they managed to fix this, sick of all the late goals we concede.

I've seen us do this sort of stuff @ the start of training, makes sense. Someone tell JA this ffs.

I dont normally read too much into attendance averages because there are so many variables that can go into match day crowd figures, but I was curious to see what our averages were minus the derbies.

*according to Wiki

S1- total 75,769, average 5,828

S2- total 71,217, average 6,474

So far this season we have had 7 non derby home games so by comparison after the first 7 non derby home games

S1- total 46,532, average 6,647

S2- total 46,954, average 6,707

S3- total 46,305, average 6,615

I am not really sure what to read into these figures. I am just bored.

Edited by KSK_47

Pretty much stagnated which is not a great sign.

There is no doubt it is now we as fans and the club need to make a major push to attract fans. Work for eachother to grow this club.

Those stats alarm me and I am not satisfied with that. There is no excuse imaginable why we can't be averaging 10,000 people in Melbourne.

I dont normally read too much into attendance averages because there are so many variables that can go into match day crowd figures, but I was curious to see what our averages were minus the derbies.

*according to Wiki

S1- total 75,769, average 5,828

S2- total 71,217, average 6,474

So far this season we have had 7 non derby home games so by comparison after the first 7 non derby home games

S1- total 46,532, average 6,647

S2- total 46,954, average 6,707

S3- total 46,305, average 6,615

I am not really sure what to read into these figures. I am just bored.

Don't understand why our crowds have to be looked at from this angle

MV are part of the A-League are they not - its a fixture match is it not?

All match attendances should be factored in.

The derby games were known when Heart investors made their investment, and the FFA made their decision. It’s not as if they are a surprise that was unaccounted for. All teams have bigger games and smaller games.

I know. I wasnt suggesting anything by working this stat out. Was just bored and curious.

No worries mate.

More a general comment then anything when people criticise our averages. I just don't understand why debries should not count for it.

Because the derbies are an outlier and it makes a significant difference to the average whether we have one or two home derbies in a season.

By removing the outliers you identify a more meaningful measure of underlying attendance growth/decline.

What also needs to be considered in the analysis of membership 'growth' is retention.

At the last fan forum, it was identified that Heart only had a 50% membership renewal rate. This means that to grow from 6000 members in y1 to 9000 members in y2 (as an illustrative example) actually requires 6000 new members to be found, not just 3000.

We win, crowds go up. We lose, crowds go down.

As fans, if we can help increase membership and attendances through a concerted push, that's fantastic. But also, timing is everything. It will really catch on in a big way when it's linked to a period of success on the field - which then brings in other factors like media attention. That's partly why the Sydney loss was so gut wrenching. It feels like we're always having to start again to build the kind of momentum that will make the difference.

Victory built its supporter base when they won the league in it's second season, which was also timed during a period where there was heaps of interest and optimism around the game in general because the A League was new and we qualified and took part in the 2006 World Cup.

I agree with the above that a bigger and healthier A League should help us grow too. But it will happen when the various pieces fall in place at the same time - we start challenging for the top couple of places on the table, the club and supporters work hard together, and the League operates as a strong healthy competition that captures the attention of the general public.

Edited by Sash

Interesting article, although I haven't got through it all yet. A high churn rate is an issue to address, but I suppose the positive is that over the three years, the total number of people who have bought a membership might be close to 9 or 10 thousand. So there's potential to re-engage the people who have dropped off.