Melbourne Football

Mick Marrone to China?

biancorosso7

There is a third Shanghai club. Shanghai SIPG will have their first season in the Chinese Super League in 2013, after gaining promotion.

Perhaps this is the club after Marrone?

Nope, his moving to Shanghai Shenxin, exact fee is unknown but is above $250,000.

Edited by jdavisheart

Melbourne Heart's resilient right back Michael Marrone is bound for Chinese Super League club Shanghai Shenxin for a fee of more than $250,000.

Marrone, who has started 70 of Heart's 73 games (he missed two owing to Socceroos duty and one in 2010-11 because of general soreness) will not leave until next week.

Contract terms have yet to be finalised, but Shanghai has requested he miss Sunday's game at Sydney FC.

Heart has left the door open to sign a replacement for Marrone, although the right back spot will be filled this week by Jeremy Walker or Ersin Kaya from the youth team -- both of whom made their debuts this season.

Bit shit of the club to lie to us, again...

Edited by LR9

Jezza Walker better fire up

I hope he does as I was impressed with the way he played when Marone was playing for Australia.

Having read the quotes from JA and JD though, and the way Marone was rushed straight back into the side on his return, I get the feeling Jeremy doesn't have their full support and confidence. Perhaps they are trying to ensure he steps up now he has his chance.

When most of the goals we cop come from the right side, then we will realise how important Mick was. He was the guts of Heart. Hopefully I"ll be proven wrong. Good luck to Mick and hopefully we"ll see him back one day.

PS: Mick has been my favourite player since day one.

Has been very solid for heart, but good business to sell him right now. A position IMO that is easily filled with some of the players on the books.

Also you forget that it is probably pay day for Marrone as well going over there.

Agree 100%. Of course we will miss him, but it's a great opportunity for him and we have consistently said we will not stand in a player's way as he pursues his career path.

Shanghai is not your average bland Chinese city. Biggest city in the world, financial capital of China, plenty of history, astonishing modern development, great new architecture and transport links, and more multi-cultural than most people realise, dating back to the old Treaty Port days. You want it - you can get it in Shanghai.

Great opportunity for Mick and his wife to enjoy something different before they start a family.

Definitely happy for Mick to pursue his career further and Heart to get some needed cash. Just pointing out how much we are going to miss him on the field. As far as filling the position we have to wait and see. Players with so much efficiency as Mick are not easy to find.

"In China's capital, they're calling it the "airpocalypse," with air pollution that's literally off the charts. The air has been classified as hazardous to human health for a fifth consecutive day, at its worst hitting pollution levels 25 times that considered safe in the U.S. The entire city is blanketed in a thick grey smog that smells of coal and stings the eyes, leading to official warnings to stay inside."

Good luck mick!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Isn't the china league finished now? Hopefully loan him back

Yes it is. I watch some games they played marrone as a winger

How did he go

Terrible. I believe that Marrone played out of position for a long period. Shanghai Shenxin has a terrible first half season and a good second half, did not notice them after July 

Isn't the china league finished now? Hopefully loan him back

Yes it is. I watch some games they played marrone as a winger

How did he go

Terrible. I believe that Marrone played out of position for a long period. Shanghai Shenxin has a terrible first half season and a good second half, did not notice them after July

Hmmmm.... Playing out of position, should fit Back in well

• 2 weeks later...

EXCLUSIVE: Former Melbourne Heart right-back Michael Marrone says he is already itching to get back on the field following a dream run for his side towards the back end of this season's Chinese Super League season.

Marrone signed for Shanghai Shenxin from Heart back in January of this year and has enjoyed a bumpy ride in his first season abroad.

The 26-year-old suffered almost three months on the sidelines at one point during the season but returned and helped Shenxin to a run of seven wins from their final ten league games.

“Overall it was an extremely good experience,” Marrone toldau.fourfourtwo.com. “I had a lot of ups and downs in the season but the way we finished the season was definitely a good way end to it.

“With the resources that they have they made the transition for me quite good. The training was very professional when I got there but he pre-season was quite tough.

“They have their own training base, you have your own room there to stay if you want and so many staff.

“All the boys speak a little bit of English but there’s an English translator there so it helped a lot in terms team meetings and on the training ground and whatnot. Everyone was quite good towards me.

“I’m already itching to get back into it though because I missed so many games last year.

“I’m looking forward to playing as many games as I can next year and trying to finish better than we did.”

Marrone played the first six games of the 2013 CSL season before fracturing his shin after receiving a dangerous double-footed tackle.

He missed 11 weeks and returned to a team that had won ust one game in the past two months. After breaking back into the first XI, Shanghai went on a run that lifted them out of threat of relegation to seventh, the highest of the Shanghai teams.

Marrone was blown away by the quality of the top sides in the league but admits the style of play from some sides was far from pretty on the eye.

“It’s definitely a different type of game they play,” he said. “I think sometimes the pace can be quicker but sometimes it can be slower, it depends which team you’re playing.  All the teams are quite different to play against.

“The first game we played (was against) Ghangzhou Evergrande and as you saw they lost one game all year and just won the Asian Champions League.

“That was a bit of a shock for me first round because they play quick, fast-paced football and all their players are quite exceptional.

“Then you play other teams, who because they’ve got a foreign coach or because the coach prefers more direct players, they play a completely different style where it’s slow-tempo and a lot of long balls.

“There’s so many teams that depending on the owners and coaches, the levels are completely different.

“The level from the top team to the bottom team is quite a gap because of the money that gets put in to it.

“The top teams in the competition are at a very high level, but then there’s teams at the bottom that I think A-League teams can beat or can do extremely well against.”

Marrone’s agent, Ritchie Hinton, said the former Adelaide United man has what it takes to succeed in China.

"Michael has all the attributes you need to succeed in Asia - physical strength and mental resilience,” Hinton told au.fourfourtwo.com.

“Shenxin value him very highly for his toughness and his versatility - they understand that it was no accident that his return from injury mid-season coincided with a run that saw them win 7 from 10 games, climb from just outside the relegation zone to 7th in the league, above the other 2 Shanghai based teams.”

“He's played mostly in a defensive midfield role, but has filled in at right back too when required - Shenxin definitely view him as integral to breaking up opposition play and starting attacks from defence."

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/287656,marrone-keen-to-continue-shenxin-dream-run.aspx

• 2 months later...

During his time with us he should've been played in centre midfield more often. As bella said his delivery from crosses was extremely poor. His game was built on his huge workrate and combative nature. Whenever we reverted to a back 3 under JVS Marrone was the one giving us the drive from midfield and looking to get forward rather than pass back to Bolton.

• Like 2