Melbourne Football

Active Area Changes

biancorosso7

From the latest Club email (dated 3 Jan):

IMPORTANT SEATING INFORMATION FOR ACTIVE SUPPORTER AREA

Commencing at this Sunday’s game against Brisbane Roar, we will be opening up Bay 18 on the Yarraside as General Admission access. This is due to the limited uptake of Active Supporter memberships in this bay. If current active members in bay 18 wish to move to bays 16 and 17 they can do so at no extra cost.

Additionally, after popular demand, members will be able to purchase additional tickets in to the Active Supporter bays 16 and 17. Members will need to present their membership card at the ticket window on game day in order for their friends to purchase a ticket in to the active area. Please bear in mind that seating is very limited and will be allocated on a first come first serve basis.

So, in context, the bay to the left of Yarraside as you look at the pitch will be classed as GA for the rest of the season.

Interesting.

• Like 1

Lets be honest, outside of derby games, its only bay 17 (centre) is actually active and standing.

To try and promote people to stand and get involved I think the standing active need to infiltrate and hog up more of bay 16 (bay to right of Yarraside looking at pitch )

If more people stand, peer pressure will lead more to stand.

Better still, so this with 18 to force those GA to stand up for their heart.

Btw. The new 'stand up if you love the heart" is a lot more inviting for those top stand up.

Bay 18 is now becoming seating only (no longer active). The only positive is that people can again buy one-off tickets in the active section (even though there are very few available ~50 max.)

In my opinion the only way to truly grow and engage with the whole end is to expand upwards. No-one wants to stand in bays 16 and 18 and would rather cram in to bay 17 all together.

We were told it was an 'OH&S issue' to expand the bay back, and then our club went ahead and gave the mongs the whole of bay 38, nice one... :lawl:

It would be amazing to have at least two thirds of bay 17. We would be surrounded by fans sitting in GA directly next to us (rather than an empty bay either side), who'd be able to hear us more clearly and would be more inclined to join in. At the moment it feels like we are confined in a tiny area and a bit distant from everyone.

• Like 1

Bay 18 is now becoming seating only (no longer active). The only positive is that people can again buy one-off tickets in the active section (even though there are very few available ~50 max.)

In my opinion the only way to truly grow and engage with the whole end is to expand upwards. No-one wants to stand in bays 16 and 18 and would rather cram in to bay 17 all together.

We were told it was an 'OH&S issue' to expand the bay back, and then our club went ahead and gave the mongs the whole of bay 38, nice one... :lawl:

It would be amazing to have at least two thirds of bay 17. We would be surrounded by fans sitting in GA directly next to us (rather than an empty bay either side), who'd be able to hear us more clearly and would be more inclined to join in. At the moment it feels like we are confined in a tiny area and a bit distant from everyone.

Sounds good ring the club and tell them to expand the bay back! Then let's bring everyone down around the active area and stir some emotion into them on Sunday!

Melburnian, you are not confused at all.

Season 2012-13 Membership Brochure shows the whole of the Swan Street End as GA - bays 32-41 inclusive to be precise.

At the Yarraside End Bays 11-20 are also GA, with the exception that the front portions of Bays 16, 17 and 18 are Active Area (Reserved Seat).

What is happening now is that all of Bay 18 is being opened to GA. Existing Active Area Bay 18 Members can move to Bays 16, 17 at no charge. Further, tickets will be available for Bays 16 and 17 so that Active Members can bring their friends. The club is stressing that there will be limited number of tickets only, on a first come, first served basis.

Like you I would have thought that these changes were positive.

Melburnian, you are not confused at all.

Season 2012-13 Membership Brochure shows the whole of the Swan Street End as GA - bays 32-41 inclusive to be precise.

At the Yarraside End Bays 11-20 are also GA, with the exception that the front portions of Bays 16, 17 and 18 are Active Area (Reserved Seat).

What is happening now is that all of Bay 18 is being opened to GA. Existing Active Area Bay 18 Members can move to Bays 16, 17 at no charge. Further, tickets will be available for Bays 16 and 17 so that Active Members can bring their friends. The club is stressing that there will be limited number of tickets only, on a first come, first served basis.

Like you I would have thought that these changes were positive.

Thanks mate understand better now!

I think it's a positive now we the fans have to capitalise on this.

This.

I'm not arguing, but why is it an OH&S issue to expand the bay all the way back?

We live in a Nannystate.

Overall positive changes, hopefully more in the future.

I got a couple of first timers into active on Tuesday no prob at all. But the changes make it less hassle. Hopefully they'll be back!

The club are fucked. They have bungled seating in this area since day one - which has dwarfed our growth and caused a lot of confusion among fans, as well as security and stadium officials.

How it's played out:

In season one active memberships were limited to the front half of bay 17, and they sold out very quickly. People were initially turned away until around game 2 or 3 when the club decided to expand the active area to bay 16. At this point it was probably too late. The majority of those who wanted to become 'active members' had already bought GA memberships or decided against buying a membership all together.

Season two rolled around and we were offered and completely sold out two full bays of active support. After the 2011 December home derby the club decided to give us a third bay for the rest of the season, but failed to communicate it to the wider community and it wasn't really taken up.

This season they offered 3 bays for active supporters but cut off the opportunity for non-members to buy one-off tickets in the area for a given game. This has seen a huge decline in active participation this season with security now a lot stricter on who is allowed in these bays. This has forced the club to do what they are doing.

Issues:

The biggest issues by offering reserved season tickets in the area is that a person will occupy a seat in the section for the duration of a season. So if an active member can't make it to a game or decides to sit elsewhere (because he/she may have brought friends or may not wont to stand in the terrace) for a particular match that person is not able to be replaced in the terrace.

At last seasons 'fan forum' the club said that on average only 40% of members turn up to any given game. This is why you see empty bays either side of the Yarraside because those who are active fans will all squeeze in to bay 17 in place of thoes who haven't shown up. I for a fact have a season ticket in bay 16 and have not once stood in there.

Another issue is the fact that the active membership is the cheapest reserved seating option the club offers. Which has promoted uneducated fans to purchase these cheaper memberships so the have the security of a seat in 'bigger' games and the freedom to sit anywhere they like in other games. The club have failed to clearly communicated what the 'active' areas purpose is.

Active fans can be discouraged from bringing our mates to games because their matchday experience may be affected. And this dwarfs our growth because it is much harder to introduce new people to the active scene. The current structure does not allow for active fans to bring friends along with them in to the active area, so they would more than likely sit in GA, thus would not be able to participate, etc.

Solution:

Both the Swan St. and Yarraside ends should have been made 'general admission', with a section being designated for 'Active'.

This allows people to sit in the area for the games they like without occupying a space when they are absent or sitting in another area.

It would be much easier for current fans/members to introduce new people to the active area without the hassle of having to transfer tickets, queue up in line before the game, etc. Which would allow for a more natural growth for the terrace.

I understand the issues the club has around security for the derby, but the club already requires GA members to pre-book tickets for these games, so it would be exactly the same in the active area.

This is defiantly in the clubs best interests, because a vibrant and loud Yarraside definitely lifts the players and creates an enjoyable atmosphere for fans. I was reading 442 magazine today and 100 professional footballers form the top 4 divisions in England and the SPL were polled with 92% saying 'Loud support has a positive impact on a teams performance'.

omgpost-48_600.jpg

For the Newcastle game I was nursing quite the hangover so I decided to sit up the Swan Street end of the ground for the game. As Ando said, the key is getting everyone up and singing. At one point during the match a lot of the Yarraside end that were GA stood up and started doing the "Heart (clap x 6)" chant, which looked great.

I think in an ideal world the best way to expand is upwards, but it's good to hear that people can now sit in the bays next to us without an active membership, this may prompt more participation.

For the Newcastle game I was nursing quite the hangover so I decided to sit up the Swan Street end of the ground for the game. As Ando said, the key is getting everyone up and singing. At one point during the match a lot of the Yarraside end that were GA stood up and started doing the "Heart (clap x 6)" chant, which looked great.

I think in an ideal world the best way to expand is upwards, but it's good to hear that people can now sit in the bays next to us without an active membership, this may prompt more participation.

This is what I mean. KISS principle such a simple chant but because the capo and the rest of the Yarraside got everyone going it probably was the best looking chant We have done in a long while!

We need to focus on making that whole side take part. I agree with a lot of ideas here so we just need to get it done.

I think having core members split and guide people around the area and talk to people about joining in is a step as well as Chant sheets for the GA people to feel part of it and ill say it again, more simple chants with movement. Get this right then add more chants.

Thanks for the info Guido!

Edited by Melburnian

Also let you know that the Western Wing was trying to catch on to whatever was being done when GolGol was taking his series of corners.

But we couldn't catch what the chant was.

Maybe something simple and corny would be easy to get - 'Come on GolGol, come on GolGol...'?

Edited by jw1739

I contacted the club during the off season about getting a standing area at the back of the north end just for GA standing people that didn't want to sit but didn't want to jump around (older people with young kids and such. Get them use to the concept of standing and hopefully catch on) Was told is can't be done due to OH&S, Aami's policy is that no one can stand above some certain row number. Pretty much where the active bay ends. It was the policy for all sports at the stadium. As we know victory went or goes all the way back. It's bull crap !!

• Like 1

I contacted the club during the off season about getting a standing area at the back of the north end just for GA standing people that didn't want to sit but didn't want to jump around (older people with young kids and such. Get them use to the concept of standing and hopefully catch on) Was told is can't be done due to OH&S, Aami's policy is that no one can stand above some certain row number. Pretty much where the active bay ends. It was the policy for all sports at the stadium. As we know victory went or goes all the way back. It's bull crap !!

My family sits in the GA just behind the active areas and I find we are standing for about half the match. I would rather be standing the whole game but...

I have noticed more and more people in this area standing for longer periods especially when we are attacking. I tend to stand as do a number of people around me when something exciting is happening which causes those behind to stand, which causes those behind to stand, which causes those behind to stand, which causes...

Either that or I am told to sit down which I do. For awhile and then up again at which time the complainer usually stands up as they are sick of saying "sit down".

If we get enough people standing in these GA areas then that culture will develop and become the norm. During the derby and against Adelaide I noticed a lot more people in the GA areas behind the active getting a little involved the chanting and I believe they would like to be louder but feel they can't as it is not an active area.

I will finish this waffle by saying to those of you who also sit in GA, make some noise. Also don't be afraid to stand up when it feels right. You will know when.

Yeah I went down to the north end with some friends one week. We were the only ones up the back. No one around us or behind us and we made sure so we wouldn't be in anyones way. Security came and told us to sit and then called for reinforcements when we argued. It was really over the top.

We had done it the week before without any issue. We had some dads and little kids come join us. They had a great time. But yeah, the next week they came for us. We aren't young or intimidating guys either and spread out so we didn't look like a group. That's why i thought it would be good to get an area for those parents and kids and casual standers, but nope. BUt as you said, just have keep pushing and hopefully it will become part of the culture.

• Like 1

Yeah I went down to the north end with some friends one week. We were the only ones up the back. No one around us or behind us and we made sure so we wouldn't be in anyones way. Security came and told us to sit and then called for reinforcements when we argued. It was really over the top.

We had done it the week before without any issue. We had some dads and little kids come join us. They had a great time. But yeah, the next week they came for us. We aren't young or intimidating guys either and spread out so we didn't look like a group. That's why i thought it would be good to get an area for those parents and kids and casual standers, but nope. BUt as you said, just have keep pushing and hopefully it will become part of the culture.

Perhaps we need to start a vocal prawn sandwich "crew" up behind the active area?

When I contacted the club the fan guy called me. Always forget his name. He said the club where actually keen for the idea, but he had to get it past aami which he had a meeting with. When I saw him next he said it couldn't be done. I also go a letter from Scott Munn about it.

I think in reality the club is aami's bitch. They won't even let them have those after match functions anymore. They can only have 3 for the season.

Hopefully seating/ standing arrangements can be discussed at the fan forum. It all need's a rethink.

They won't even let them have those after match functions anymore. They can only have 3 for the season.

Hopefully seating/ standing arrangements can be discussed at the fan forum. It all need's a rethink.

Ah, I wondered why those functions were no longer being held. So we can't hold a function in the function room leased to our major sponsor? On what basis I wonder?

Dukes, you're dead right that the whole thing needs a rethink. It's becoming as bad as Myki. An average attendance of just over 6,000, a few hundred of whom want to jig up and down during the match, in a stadium that even with Level 3 closed off holds 20,000? And we can't fix it? Laughable if it wasn't reality.

• Like 1