Melbourne Football

Round 11 - CCM v MHFC - 14 Dec, 7:30pm

cadete

Fred is absolutely useless on the wing. If he is not good enough currently to play centrally then he is not good enough to be in the team at the moment.

I would say that Aloisi needs to have the balls to throw some of the big boys back into the youth team for a few weeks and have them learn to fight a bit. So many players just going through the motions.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bolton's howler.... Although no one should put any blame on the man that saves us every week.

Ok, I'll bite. He may pull off a few good saves but his distribution is the worst in the league. This level of ball control and passing often leads to him having to pull off a miraculous saves to save his own arse.

Lastly, how many times do we loose possession from free kicks because he can't even kick it to half way??? Not all his fault, you would think that the players would realise this and not go so deep but they don't seem to learn and just hand over possession every time.

• Like 1

Bring in Walker to start, Mitchinson for bench, Vrankovic instead of colosimo start,

As soon as possible get rid of Thompson for Germano

Hoffman out of the team, delisted

Gol gol paired with Tardic would be interesting

Redymane for Bolton, Bolton is nearly done

Edited by Joel21
  • Like 1

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bolton's howler.... Although no one should put any blame on the man that saves us every week.

Nope not going to pin that on him, the team just played crap after what couldve been a promising result away to league leaders. Honestly a draw wouldve been a win here and some confidence boost heading into the derby. Its probably the first game where everyone bar the defence played shit. I think defence did ok, colosimo probably had his best game, and by that i mean he made the leat mistakes.

Its our midfield thats really worrying. I keep repeating myself but how thompson gets games i dont know. Him and fred are too much bystanders for my liking. Hoffman at least is in it amongst the game and trying stuff, which is why you probably notice more of his errors, but if the two guys ahead of him were doing more on the ball than what they are now, he'd have less pressure on him, his supposed to be the dmf afterall. Midfield needs work done, period. Focus some gameplan at training and drill it into these guys. They seem so disjointed ffs.

No tadic was a hudge blow, williams was dissapointing and its just dissaponting overall as we could've come out of this with a draw which id have taken any day of the week.

Edited by United

Gerhardt, Behich, and Colosimo the only players who could hold their heads up.

Our defensive shape looks ok, and we're mainly conceding goals from howlers. Bolton tonight.

But with the ball, we're terrible. Our passing is shit. Basic things like first touches are shit. Lack of understanding and cohesion between players. We can scrounge 0-0 draws when we don't gift the opposition goals. But there's not much else happening.

• Like 4

Heart Board: "So John, when we went behind, what tactics did you utilise to bring the team back into the game?"

John Aloisi: "Ummmm........"

He might then point out that we went from pumping the ball long to D-Mac and the front three in the first half, to pumping the ball long to Gol Gol and the front three in the second. :droy:

Both Bojic goals would have been saved by Ryan.

CCM are hard to break down and could not score in open play... we still had two gilt edge chances, but other than that, we had nothing in midfield or up front and out wide. Cheap turnovers, no link up play and no plan B after we went behind.

Garcia and Behich looked tired, Vrankovic should have been used!! very disappointing and the blame needs to lay with JA. As Harper says.... We looked listless.

Fred should be played back into form through the NYL or off the bench. We should only play one holding mid fielder, not two attack minded players in front of two CBs who can't play out. With tadic injured Williams should have started striker and Golgol should have started on the wing.

There is no courage or zest in JAs coaching and he needs to learn fast from his mistakes...but there is no evidence that this is occurring

• Like 1

Shocking, no, it was worse than shocking. The structure of the team was fine JA, apart from playing too narrow, and yes there were the usual and now expected Mr Bean moments although this time it wasn't Colosimo who had a good game along with Gerhardt. The rest just can't pass the ball, and just weren't interested. Clearly they set out for a draw but just dropped their heads when we conceded. Yes, it's a coach's job to motivate the players but these guys are supposed to be professionals and are supposed to want to play football. No sign of that tonight, probably the worst 'effort' from the team I've seen.

Aimless long balls, errant passing with frequent turnovers. Poor first touch poor second touch, won very few first balls, less second balls and then usually mis-controlled and turned the ball over. Poor movement off the ball but then why bother, most decent runs were ignored or the pass was made after the player ran off-side.

The players need to take responsibility here, it's 11 of them on the park and 9 of them were shamefully poor. I'd rather JA played the youth team every week, they may get thrashed but at least they'd show some Heart.

Edited by belaguttman

Even if we had Tadic tonight, we were soooo poor in distributing the ball, that he would have been frustrated. Willo runs hard but poor ball control meant that much of his work came to nought. Fred, Thompson little influence, same for Kalmar and Hoffman. DMac isolated and having to deal with long bombs.

Shocking, shocking performance. Offered nothing.

Absolutely saved by CB pairing of Gerhardt and Colosimo. I get that Colosimo isn't rated on here (I am not a fan) but anyone having a go at him tonight just has their mind made up and isn't really watching.

I agree, he could hold his head up tonight as could Gerhardt. Behich and Garcia had an excuse, the rest were park players

First time at the Gimp tonight, ripper venue, pity it was destroyed by a couple of blunders.

Firstly, Thomspon, Hoffman and Fred must go ASAP. Both Fred and Thompson sadly are over the hill, even though they once tore the league apart, they are far from the form this season. Hoffman is just a potato.

Our ball distribution is actually piss poor. It is beyond a disgrace.

As for Bolton, the guy pulls off some ripper saves, but his blunders are seriously costly and he makes too many for such an experienced keeper.

A loss in the derby next week and our season is over. What a bloody waste of a season.

Our DNA is pathetic especially away from home. If we werent playing Victory next week our home crowd would be less than 4K

Let's be honest our season is already over we're hardly premiership material if you haven't got your shit together by round 10 you never will.

We can still fuck up Victorys chances though

Edited by Luke

All year we've looked horrible away from home. JA takes an extremely cautious approach when playing away. It's defence first and we create hardly anything. Apart from round 1 which was in Melbourne, I don't think we've scored a goal away form home. And we've hardly ever looked like scoring.

But we've been fairly difficult to break down. Most of the goals we've conceded have been from our mistakes - two from Bolton tonight, Colosimo in Adelaide, Gerhardt's own goal against West Sydney. And we got a 0-0 against Sydney.

I think the crap football that everyone's describing starts with the defensive and ultra cautious mind set we're travelling with. If we got 0-0 draws in Adelaide and tonight, which we could have, I could accept it. I reckon that's been JA's aim. But when it doesn't come off, bloody hell it looks bad.

Edit: At home, while not aways looking great, we've been much better. Wins against Brisbane and Perth, 3 goals against Newcastle, and we were ok against Wellington until going down to 10 men.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 2

All year we've looked really bad away from home. JA takes an extremely cautious approach when playing away. It's defence first and we create hardly anything. Apart from round 1 which was in Melbourne, I don't think we've scored a goal away form home. And we've hardly ever looked like scoring.

But we've been fairly difficult to break down. Most of the goals we've conceded have been from our mistakes - two from Bolton tonight, Colosimo in Adelaide, Gerhardt's own goal against West Sydney. And we got a 0-0 against Sydney.

I think the crap football that everyone's describing starts with the defensive and ultra cautious mind set we're travelling with. If we got 0-0 draws in Adelaide and tonight, which we could have, I could accept it. I reckon that's been JA's aim. But when it doesn't come off, bloody hell it looks bad.

we haven't scored an away goal since we played Sydney last year. given our poor away form we should just attck and play with some flair and pride, the result will be the same but it won't be as shameful as tonight.

What the fuck are we doing seriously? Bolton has to go i'm sorry, that is an unacceptable error he made tonight.

I enjoyed going to the imp tonight, outside of getting carded 4 times it was good.

Man ando pulls in the chicks though, being terrance leader must have a certain aurora arround it. The women were just following him tonight

Just another Friday night, mate.

As for the game - where the fuck was our midfield? Absolutely disgraceful performance from the team and yes, I do agree Colosimo played quite well considering.

Get down to training, rip flares, take their kits, and demand change.

• Like 4

A poor and uninspiring performance, that much is obvious. The question is why were we so poor. I reckon Mariners are part of the explanation, along with some faults in our game.

The Mariners are top of the league and a solid team because they have a habit of bringing the worst out of their opposition. This was evident Last round, where the Mariners convincingly beat the Jets 2-0 in Newcastle. So one of the main reasons for our poor performance was our opposition: ATM top of the league and in good form the Mariners bring out the worst in their opposition.

There were a few serious faults with Heart in this game as well. Bolton, playing out from the back and our away form let us down.

Bolton was largely at fault for both of the goals. He made the save of the week last round against Perth and has been solid all season, but in two crucial moments he stuffed up and gifted the Mariners 2 goals. It's hard to know how to read this terrible performance by Bolton, as either an exceptionally bad performance that we won't see again this season, or a sign of a keeper in decline who shouldn't start. There's at least 1 thread on Bolton, so no need to comment more on him here.

A lot of our attacking play was over before it had really begun, with us being terrible at playing out from the back. We were terribly slow with our passing and moment, which also explains why our decision making was poor when it came to playing out from the back. Most of the blame, in my opinion, rests on our central defenders and Thompson and Hoffman. These players where far too slow at passing, which explains why 60% of our possession in the first half was in our own half (and we only had 45% of possession. So we weren't in the Mariners half often enough, and we barely got into our final third). Colosimo and Gerhardt too often passed slowly back and forth between one another, and they sat too deep with the ball, meaning it was even harder than it should have been to play out from our half. The midfielders that are meant to help us transition the ball to midfield from defence, Hoffman and Thompson, didn't perform their duties well. They stood around and lacked movement (which partially explains the hopeful long balls to Macallister), and didn't pass well and smartly when either of them had the ball. Thompson has been poor for the past couple of games and Hoffman is a mediocre midfielder at best, so hopefully Thompson lifts and returning midfielders (Germano and Grella) solve that problem.

Lastly our away performances in general haven't been good. I think in this game we were pretty much playing for the nil nil draw, given that we were up against the number one team at their stadium, and we went halfway to achieving that goal before things went awry. But in general we haven't travelled well, a sign of this was we passed the ball twice as fast after we scored compared with our passing speed prior to conceding. This is one thing Aloisi could possibly be faulted for, not motivating the team properly for away games. Since we've been doing so well at home it hasn't been an issue, but if we expect to finish high up the ladder we need to significantly lift our game away from home.

On Aloisi, I don't think he did much wrong in this game. IMO, Garcia should had played in RW and Fred should have been an attacking midfielder, but apart from that most of the blame for this performance and result doesn't rest on him. You can't blame Aloisi for Bolton conceding 2 speculative efforts on goal. He could improve our away performances in general, but we were always likely to mimic Newcastle and perform poorly against the top of the table, in excellent form Central Coast Mariners.

Hopefully we see an improvement next week in the Melbourne Derby, like we've seen multiple times before.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Just another Friday night, mate.

As for the game - where the fuck was our midfield? Absolutely disgraceful performance from the team and yes, I do agree Colosimo played quite well considering.

Get down to training, rip flares, take their kits, and demand change.

Didn't some Dynamo Moscow fans turn up with a paint ball gun earlier this year because their team was crap. Maybe we should try that !!!

• Like 1