Melbourne Football

Domestic Politics

cadete

That's been doing the rounds on Facebook, personally I don't get it.

If I see another "the future is bright" and "those kids tore Abbott a new one" type comment I think Ill shove my balls in a toaster.

You know you must be a real "Mover and Shaker" in the Australian Political Landscape when your version of being "Highly Politically Active" centres around:

Viral Youtube Videos, Offensive Black Tee Shirts and the Hashtag #quanda.

Edited by cadete

If I see another "the future is bright" and "those kids tore Abbott a new one" type comment I think Ill shove my balls in a toaster.

hahaha very true, yer nothing to look into that much but still domestic politics related.

But I seriously wonder if the prime minister of this country can't give a real answer, albeit to high school students, is he the right man for the job. For me Turnbull was a far better leader than Abbott who had conviction when he spoke. Abbott just doesn't seem to have any ideological wishes and pursuit. Cutting money from programs is no policy. If he were to say this is what were doing to grow Australia, I would somewhat be impressed, even if it didn't match my personal views.

FWIW saying you are the Infrastructure prime minister yet refusing to invest in public transport is really not up to scratch IMO

hahaha very true, yer nothing to look into that much but still domestic politics related.

But I seriously wonder if the prime minister of this country can't give a real answer, albeit to high school students, is he the right man for the job. For me Turnbull was a far better leader than Abbott who had conviction when he spoke. Abbott just doesn't seem to have any ideological wishes and pursuit. Cutting money from programs is no policy. If he were to say this is what were doing to grow Australia, I would somewhat be impressed, even if it didn't match my personal views.

FWIW saying you are the Infrastructure prime minister yet refusing to invest in public transport is really not up to scratch IMO

Good old Malcom Turnbull... every staunch ALP voter's favourite Liberal.

I dont have any issues with spending less money if theres no money to spend, but it just seems a bit hypocritical to me when you say cuts are needed but plan on bringing in a stupidly expensive 12 month full paid maternity leave policy, and cut money making policies such as the carbon tax, mining tax, Clean Energy Finance Corporation and opposing the super tax amendments & salary sacrificing changes. 

Just wish GST wasnt such a dirty word and they'd raise it to 15% already so we can get things like our rail tunnel. 

Edited by hedaik

Good old Malcom Turnbull... every staunch ALP voter's favourite Liberal.

Apart from things like his support for arts, why is this the case?

I have my own reasons for liking him.

Would you prefer him to Abbott as PM?

FWIW saying you are the Infrastructure prime minister yet refusing to invest in public transport is really not up to scratch IMO Good old Malcom Turnbull... every staunch ALP voter's favourite Liberal.

No.

Because Turnbull has a crap political mind (Hence his not leader) and he also has a real shitty sense of entitlement.

ALP voters largely like him because his not Abbott - If he became leader they would hate him soon enough, they would just have to replace the Catholic Puns for Toff Puns.

• Like 1

I don't like turnbull at all, particularly his opinion on broadband I don't agree with, but he at least seems to have some sort of plan for this country. I see abbott as more of the best of the worst in that cabinet. God help us if we had hockey or pyne step up...... 

I don't like turnbull at all, particularly his opinion on broadband I don't agree with, but he at least seems to have some sort of plan for this country. I see abbott as more of the best of the worst in that cabinet. God help us if we had hockey or pyne step up...... 

Because Wayne Swan and Penny "The Unsackable Triple Threat" Wong did so well with this Country's Finances in the past six years.

FWIW saying you are the Infrastructure prime minister yet refusing to invest in public transport is really not up to scratch IMO Good old Malcom Turnbull... every staunch ALP voter's favourite Liberal.

he also has a real shitty sense of entitlement.

lol he is a member of the Liberal party...

Also, you know I agree with you on him being the average ALP voter's favourite liberal. Just shows you that the average voter has no idea about who they are dealing with. The bloke is a cancer.

Because Wayne Swan and Penny "The Unsackable Triple Threat" Wong did so well with this Country's Finances in the past six years.

http://www.euromoney.com/Article/2903395/Press-release-Australias-Wayne-Swan-named-Euromoneys-finance-minister-of-the-year.html

http://www.euromoney.com/Article/2903395/Press-release-Australias-Wayne-Swan-named-Euromoneys-finance-minister-of-the-year.html

You do realise that its 2014 now and a few things Swanny was counting on... never happened and left us up shit creek.

valid there were certain holes left, but do you really think a treasurer who believes we can't afford certain policies, which is acceptable, should then splurge money on a absolutely ridiculous parental pay package but feels its acceptable to cut money from education, healthcare and middle to low income welfare

This whole march in March thing made me want to beat my mother to death in her sleep

Why you lads getting agitated?

Kick back and enjoy the show. look at these leftie morons:

1. Getting mad AF

2. Wasting their time protesting

3. Making themselves look bad

4. Getting mad AF

5. Making lefties in general look bad, even the knowledgeable ones that actually have ideas that make some sort of sense, ensuring we don't actually see any of these ideas come to fruition

6. Providing us free entertainment

7. Getting mad AF

8. Reinforcing each others stupidity, ensuring they well remain retarded for a while yet, and continue this cycle (1-8) going forward

Edited by Tesla

What? Someone actually thinks Swann deserved that award? How old are you?

That award belongs to Peter Costello. Peter Costello is the only reason the Australian economy continued to grow while the rest of the world was in recession. WTF did Swann do? Attend Macroeconomics 101 and learn what an expansionary fiscal policy is? Costello is the reason Australia was in such a strong economic position at the time, as well as the reason that we were in a position where we had the flexibility to adopt strong expansionary monetary and fiscal policies.

And cadete's right, time has shown the very small part Swann played was not the correct move. We've ended up in way too much debt now.

FFS the bloke didn't even spend the money on anything useful, dodgy home insulation and what not. Sorry, but where I'm from performing the role of Treasurer like a teenage girl with daddy's credit card does not amount to sound economic management.

Please don't post in this thread ever again.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

It's because of things like this why Abbott will go down as the GOAT PM of Australia. A true fucking conservative. :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Like 1

That award belongs to Peter Costello. Peter Costello is the only reason the Australian economy continued to grow while the rest of the world was in recession. WTF did Swann do? Attend Macroeconomics 101 and learn what an expansionary fiscal policy is? Costello is the reason Australia was in such a strong economic position at the time, as well as the reason that we were in a position where we had the flexibility to adopt strong expansionary monetary and fiscal policies.

And cadete's right, time has shown the very small part Swann played was not the correct move. We've ended up in way too much debt now.

FFS the bloke didn't even spend the money on anything useful, dodgy home insulation and what not. Sorry, but where I'm from performing the role of Treasurer like a teenage girl with daddy's credit card does not amount to sound economic management.

And the Costello myth grows and grows. 

Treasurer in one of the most wasteful, vote-grabbing governments of all time. Middleband taxbreaks and middleclass welfare abound. What a maestro he was... give me a fucken spell and before the neo brigade jump on: no I don't think Wayne Swann was a good treasurer but the Costello myth is a load of self-perpetuating horseshit. 

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/hey-big-spender-howard-the-king-of-the-loose-purse-strings-20130110-2cj32.html

Treasurer in one of the most wasteful, vote-grabbing governments of all time. Middleband taxbreaks and middleclass welfare abound. What a maestro he was... give me a fucken spell and before the neo brigade jump on: no I don't think Wayne Swann was a good treasurer but the Costello myth is a load of self-perpetuating horseshit. 

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/hey-big-spender-howard-the-king-of-the-loose-purse-strings-20130110-2cj32.html

What myth?

$96bn debt to $40bn in the bank.

Took unemployment from something like 10% to almost impossibly low levels.

Consistent, strong, economic growth for over a decade.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

What myth?

During the biggest resource boom in history... WIZARDRY! :droy:

Edited by Braveheart

Debt is just borrowed and spent money, the issue isnt nessasarily the amount of money you borrow, its how you spend it. So when people think they're really clever and report data showing Howards debt they forget the fact that the money was spent a lot differently to the recent mob. Swan, Rudd and Gillard wasted so much money on shit which literally gave zero return, if they were running a business eg. panel beating shop, the joint would probably be full of slurpie machines and clowns. The fact they were running a country is just plain scary.

Debt is just borrowed and spent money, the issue isnt nessasarily the amount of money you borrow, its how you spend it. So when people think they're really clever and report data showing Howards debt they forget the fact that the money was spent a lot differently to the recent mob. Swan, Rudd and Gillard wasted so much money on shit which literally gave zero return, if they were running a business eg. panel beating shop, the joint would probably be full of slurpie machines and clowns. The fact they were running a country is just plain scary.

Exactly

The Ceiling Installation the Rudd Government had Companies installed should never of seen the light of day – Ask any Fireman.

And when they finally decided to take it out of PPL’s homes they hired the same Dodge Pop Up Companies who stuffed up the Installations to take it out. :droy:

The BER – Was only executed well on probably about 30% of schools and Gillard herself admitted there was a wide scale in the difference between the best Works Programs and the worst Works Programs. The State Systems in QLD and parts of NSW did pretty poor jobs in rolling out the program. :droy:

The National Schools Solar Program – What was another affair of Dodge Pop Up Companies taking the Government’s Money which has lead to many of the Solar Panels at Schools currently not even working properly and with no proper Support System to fix them. :droy:

Then there was the Bonus Money... what was that about? :droy:

• Like 1

ALP lost me when they gave those $900 cheques out and the only person in my household who wasn't employed received one, while everyone in my household who was employed got nothing. Also the fact that they gave dead people money rather than me. Get fucked cunts.

Not that I really care much for politics, but the above pissed me off.

Edited by MaliMate

What myth?

During the biggest resource boom in history... WIZARDRY! :droy:

:droy: Sorry the timing is just a coincidence, as is the economic collapse after Howard & Costello lost power :droy:

http://www.euromoney.com/Article/2903395/Press-release-Australias-Wayne-Swan-named-Euromoneys-finance-minister-of-the-year.html What? Someone actually thinks Swann deserved that award? How old are you?

Please don't post in this thread ever again.And the Costello myth grows and grows.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/hey-big-spender-howard-the-king-of-the-loose-purse-strings-20130110-2cj32.html What myth?

Consistent, strong, economic growth for over a decade.During the biggest resource boom in history... WIZARDRY! :droy::droy: Sorry the timing is just a coincidence, as is the economic collapse after Howard & Costello lost power :droy:

You forgot to add that the growth was achieved whilst keeping interest rates and inflation relatively low.

Costello saved us during the 'GFC'.

As for the Labor economic stimulus package that was a complete joke. It was purely a vote buying scheme and in all likelihood has done more damage to the economy than fix it.

If they really wanted to hand out money and do some good they really should have put the money into people's super.

@Malimate some people who were receiving centrelink benefits also received an additional $950 to the $900 most others received.

If they really wanted to hand out money and do some good they really should have put the money into people's super.

That would defeat the whole point since it can't be spent right away.

Would have preferred if all the money was just put into infrastructure, with the various projects expedited to get the money flowing quicker, and less spent overall.

• Like 1

Would have preferred if all the money was just put into infrastructure, with the various projects expedited to get the money flowing quicker, and less spent overall.

It also would have helped if certain State Departments involved in the BER had aspired to roll out Infastructure of a certain standard rather than just simply roll out the program as quick as possible so they could move on to the next thing.

You missed what I was saying, they obviously wanted to hand out money to buy votes. So put it into super which means it goes into the capital markets allowing businesses to borrow cheaper and expand to attract more business. It would mean the effect of the government spending needlessly would be largely negated and not cause some silly bubble to which causes more issues down the track. I haven't explained myself too well because Im on my phone n cbfed, but I think you could understand the gist of what I am getting at.

I got fuck all coz my folks had too many assets, meanwhile I was taking the bus to tafe with junkies who were planning to spend theres on heroin and pop tarts.

I reckon this is shit too. My parents are middle upper and yet give me next to nothing in terms of money to live on. Everything I want and 90% of what I need I pay for myself which is shit and hard considering the shocking $ I get from working 3 jobs ...

Somehow I'm not eligible for study benefits because my parents have too many assets (hardly any cold hard $ at that) that I see nothing of

But some fucking lazy piece of junkie shit can score 2-3 different benefits from Centrelink a fortnight for doing fuck all apart from being a fucking piece of shit..

Edited by marteaux

haha funny how the whole neo-clan had to use the 'ineptitude' of another government to demonstrate how good St.Peter was. If you any of you chaps have studied some philosophy you'll recognise that basing the crux of your argument on the comparative flaws of another is a rather weak strategy. Tell me why he was god in his own right, not in comparison to another actor.

Tesla was the only one to provide some numbers but even still I disagree that they are the measure of successful economic policy as the hayekian school themselves now admit that surplus is sometimes a dirty word. 

Also re: the $900- yes they were a vote grab and I agree with tesla's point here about how those funds should have been invested in infrastructure. Re: who they were given to- this is where we will never understand eachother. I think it's a good thing that those without jobs get more money from the government than me or you. That's a cycle debate between social-reformists like myself and the neo/rationalist clan like yourselves that will continue for eons. Agree to disagree there. 

I got fuck all coz my folks had too many assets, meanwhile I was taking the bus to tafe with junkies who were planning to spend theres on heroin and pop tarts.

I reckon this is shit too. My parents are middle upper and yet give me next to nothing in terms of money to live on. Everything I want and 90% of what I need I pay for myself which is shit and hard considering the shocking $ I get from working 3 jobs ...

Somehow I'm not eligible for study benefits because my parents have too many assets (hardly any cold hard $ at that) that I see nothing of

But some fucking lazy piece of junkie shit can score 2-3 different benefits from Centrelink a fortnight for doing fuck all apart from being a fucking piece of shit..

Yep. Pretty much sums up my life from high school to 21. I had to be the biggest tight ass day to day coz my folks gave me fuck all. Probably taught me a thing or 2 about working hard... Other side of the coin is... It taught the junkies they could do the opposite.

haha funny how the whole neo-clan had to use the 'ineptitude' of another government to demonstrate how good St.Peter was. If you any of you chaps have studied some philosophy you'll recognise that basing the crux of your argument on the comparative flaws of another is a rather weak strategy. Tell me why he was god in his own right, not in comparison to another actor.

Tesla was the only one to provide some numbers but even still I disagree that they are the measure of successful economic policy as the hayekian school themselves now admit that surplus is sometimes a dirty word. 

Also re: the $900- yes they were a vote grab and I agree with tesla's point here about how those funds should have been invested in infrastructure. Re: who they were given to- this is where we will never understand eachother. I think it's a good thing that those without jobs get more money from the government than me or you. That's a cycle debate between social-reformists like myself and the neo/rationalist clan like yourselves that will continue for eons. Agree to disagree there. 

I agree that people with out jobs should get more than those with jobs in the way of welfare, but there has to be a cut off point that is way earlier than what it currently is. 

Welfare is good in that it keeps people from stealing and off the streets, but the reality is that we are never going to be able to save people from themselves and their lack of self-control.

The fact that welfare (ie Newstart allowance, dole) is competitive with the minimum wage is a fucking joke. (Last time I looked i think min wage was $622 per week and the dole was $493 a fortnight with $121 rent assistance a week or something similar)

Im of a strong opinion that by making the dole competitive with working we are giving incentive to those that cheat the system, thus lifting unemployment and reducing the nations productivity. You reduce productivity then the nation performs poorly, we go in to debt and fall further down the rabbit hole. Have a look at Greece for example.

The dole should be $300 a week tops. Ffs the thing is designed to keep people alive, not let them live comfortably. People that don't work SHOULD live uncomfortably, give them incentive to work. 

And before anyone says not enough jobs, I don't subscribe to that. Australians are way too picky in their jobs, its a fact of life that not everyone is going to do something they love. At the end of the day you work, you take home the money, life is a bit easier. Don't make it easy for our less inspired to go well I'll just take a pay cut and not have to work. It's unfair to the rest of society.

• Like 2

I would like you to point out where anyone other than Cadete talked about the failings of the last labor government to talk up Costello? Hardly the whole Neo clan...

How would you measure successful economic policy? Other than basing it on implementation of policies that lead to good economic performance. The most used indicator of economic performance is growth. I agree that sometimes having a surplus is not a good thing as it can mean that not enough capital expenditure has occurred, however surplus is nearly always preferable to deficit. 

FWIW knowing the philosophy behind different economic schools of thought is very different to having an understanding (even the basics) of the maths and fundamentals behind the economy and market.

• Like 1

Fwiw, giving more money to the poorer made sense in what they were trying to achieve with that money, someone living pay cheque to pay cheque is going to go out and spend the money straight away, whereas the more well off are less likely to go out and spend all of that money.

Demand needed to be supported with an injection of spending from the government to ensure the economy didn't take too big a hit.

Of course, the demand side only affects short term economic growth, and I'm usually one to think that focusing on the supply side is much more important, but these were exceptional circumstances.

But that's why I would have preferred the money was spent on infrastructure, that way the immediate spending that will happen helps the demand side and therefore short term economic prosperity, whereas the infrastructure that would be built would help long term economic growth and prosperity.

I agree that people with out jobs should get more than those with jobs in the way of welfare, but there has to be a cut off point that is way earlier than what it currently is. 

Welfare is good in that it keeps people from stealing and off the streets, but the reality is that we are never going to be able to save people from themselves and their lack of self-control.

The fact that welfare (ie Newstart allowance, dole) is competitive with the minimum wage is a fucking joke. (Last time I looked i think min wage was $622 per week and the dole was $493 a fortnight with $121 rent assistance a week or something similar)

Im of a strong opinion that by making the dole competitive with working we are giving incentive to those that cheat the system, thus lifting unemployment and reducing the nations productivity. You reduce productivity then the nation performs poorly, we go in to debt and fall further down the rabbit hole. Have a look at Greece for example.

The dole should be $300 a week tops. Ffs the thing is designed to keep people alive, not let them live comfortably. People that don't work SHOULD live uncomfortably, give them incentive to work. 

And before anyone says not enough jobs, I don't subscribe to that. Australians are way too picky in their jobs, its a fact of life that not everyone is going to do something they love. At the end of the day you work, you take home the money, life is a bit easier. Don't make it easy for our less inspired to go well I'll just take a pay cut and not have to work. It's unfair to the rest of society.

TBH, I have to disagree that the dole is too high, any lower and people wouldnt be able to get by on it. The dole is given to allow people to survive while they are in between jobs, to help them get to job interviews, etc. It helps people who want to be working to get a job.

Of course, the problem is with the perverse incentives it creates, that's why I believe people on the dole should be pushed much harder than currently to look for and gain employment. I also think they should be made to do 'work for the dole' type programs much sooner. At the end of the day:

it provides some value to society for the money the unemployed get

it removes some of the perverse incentives as they now have to work for the dole so why not just get an actual job where they'll get more money

it makes the transition to full time employment much easier as they dont become used to sitting around doing nothing all day

Edited by Tesla

As somebody who was on the dole for  a couple of months about 13 years ago, they do a pretty good job of making you feel like shit and forcing you to get a job. No sane person with a inch of integrity about themselves could live on the dole for an extended amount of time. 

As somebody who was on the dole for a couple of months about 13 years ago, they do a pretty good job of making you feel like shit and forcing you to get a job. No sane person with a inch of integrity about themselves could live on the dole for an extended amount of time.

Drugs help. ;)