Melbourne Football

John Aloisi

kingofhearts

I remember in round 1 seeing Aloisi win the tactical battle against Victory. I thought right there that Aloisi was going to be a good coach. As a rookie he may need more time to build his own team, but not many teams around the world can afford to wait for a coach to come good.

Edited by Portillo
  • Like 1

JA is off to Europe in the off-season to improve his coaching. Good thing, hopefully he comes back with lots of good ideas

Maybe he should sit with AVB just to see how other young coaches do it.

In my biased opinion if he goes anywhere he should emulate Jurgen Klopp at Dortmund. Go and see how they train, how they play, how the players love playing for him and how, off a tight budget you can be champions.

In my opinion the time is now to sack Aloisi. I don't think he has enough in his cupboard to every be worldclass if he doesn't go and get an apprenticeship in Europe. 

Release him, find him an overseas club that will take him and mold him into a better manager then who knows down the track.

There are so many top class managers in the world looking for work right now, spend the money to get the best we can possibly get. 

The talk about is that some players don't like playing for John, some do and there are rifts forming. It's a cancer and if allowed to spread could be fatal for our club. John was given a shot, he got some experience out of it, now go bite his teeth in a better league under better managers (his contacts he should have no issue) and refine himself.

Our club certainly can't afford to have him on his L plates. 

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to say Aloisi has been blameless or perfect this season. I was trying to fairly spread the blame.

I agreed that mentality and performance/effort are two things that both the coaches and players are responsible for. But I believe it would be blaming the coach too much and letting the players off lightly for their application in away matches this season and mostly blaming Aloisi for our dismal away record. He shouldn't have to be a full time therapist to the whole squad to make them fire up for away matches. And it's not like Aloisi is telling the players to NOT challenge for 50/50 balls at away matches.

We could talk about the track record teams have had after a change of coach all day, but in my opinion I clearly see it being more of a gamble then a reliable method to lift a team's performances and results. 

Apart from beating our non-travelling team in Wellington 1-0, Wellington lost twice and won once and finished last.

Sydney FC, despite having the most expensive squad and Del Piero, and bringing in the proven striker Joel Griffiths and Socceroos captain Lucas Neill after Crook left, couldn't make the finals under new coach Farina. 

Brisbane finished 5th. Their first coach, Rado Vidosic, smashed Victory 5-0 and Sydney 4-2. They got slightly better results and finished 5th (just), and it's unclear whether Vidosic could have turned around the season or not. Yes the players were happy in the last game that they finished 5th and made the finals, so what? Thats to be expected in a final season match when a team seals a finals spot. The player list is effectively the same that won the past 2 grand finals. Mulvey has been good, not great.

People were talking about Adelaide going all the way at the start of the season, and they pretty much only made the finals because the first half of their season under Kosmina was strong (2/3 of Adelaide's wins happened in the first half of the season)

And Perth I wrote at the start were the only team to see clear improvements in both performance and results.

The point is changing the head coach is a gamble. Improvement is far from guaranteed. 

I strongly believe the main area for improvement is with our playing list. Thompson, Colosimo, Fred and Bolton have been taking up space. And I reckon we'll be much improved after the club spends more on players and finds replacements for our deadwood. 

As I said above, once we have rejuvenated the squad Aloisi's coaching ability will have no where to hide. And if he doesn't get Heart playing much better by early next season, I will be calling for him to be sacked.

• Like 1

Very simple Murfy1, should have been a natural progression of the coaching hierarchy. Milicic should have been head coach, aloisi would then move up into assistant coaching role. Really is simple. His potential for coaching in his short career was already recongnised by being called up to work as assistant coach for the under 20s socceroos World Cup in 09. He learned under jvs for 2 whole seasons which would further strengthen his coaching ability. Under milicic our team would have been a well organised group that would have been much stronger physically. I have no doubt either players like colisimo Thompson etc would not have got as much game time as they did. No chance we would have ended up where we are under milicic control. In saying that though I do agree with a lot of other points you have made.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

at the end of the day thompson, colosimo, fred and bolton must go. They're 'big players' on big money, and if the club has the balls to not offer them another contract then i'm excited at who we'll be signing in the off season.

And with redmayne already our number 1 keeper, it allows us to allocate even more of that freed up money on other signings as we wouldn't need to spend too much on a backup keeper.

I remember in round 1 seeing Aloisi win the tactical battle against Victory. I thought right there that Aloisi was going to be a good coach. As a rookie he may need more time to build his own team, but not many teams around the world can afford to wait for a coach to come good.

But that was the easiest of tactical battles to win. Ange's first game in charge of a team with little idea how to play his way. I remember that game as a real warning sign for the rest of the season, go back and watch it, no patentience or control of the ball in midfield, little to no accuracy in passing, long bombs from the bcak all game. JA has had one game plan and it happened to work out best in his first game in charge, not so much for the rest of the season.

I will give him credit and say the team occasionally played some football at home in patches. But he is far to negative, reactive and basically fightened to take a risk for me to support him as coach.

I think this topic of Sack Aloisi has come and gone... It's clear the club will not act on what has happened this season and are willing to let Aloisi continue coaching this club.

My last comment on this topic is for all the supporters and the club in general who are continuing to back JA, if you think that it can't get any worse than this season, well you are wrong. Another season like we just had would spell the end of Melbourne Heart. If the FFA could assemble WSW in 6months they can do it again... and one thing is for sure The Heart can not continue existing with an average crowed of 6000.

I hope this club doesn't become the 3rd club to disappear (NQF & CCU)

I think this topic of Sack Aloisi has come and gone... It's clear the club will not act on what has happened this season and are willing to let Aloisi continue coaching this club.

My last comment on this topic is for all the supporters and the club in general who are continuing to back JA, if you think that it can't get any worse than this season, well you are wrong. Another season like we just had would spell the end of Melbourne Heart. If the FFA could assemble WSW in 6months they can do it again... and one thing is for sure The Heart can not continue existing with an average crowed of 6000.

I hope this club doesn't become the 3rd club to disappear (NQF & CCU)

This doom and gloom is WAAAAY over the top. Harden up lads, next season onwards and upwards.

Sitting back and counter attacking doesn't take too much smarts.

The one thing Aloisi has introduced that is a positive is high pressing.

It was great when we did it, we hardly ever did it, and we never counter-pressed when we lost possession. Team pressing requires fitness. What made the season so frustrating was the contrast between our good games and our very very poor ones (all the rest of them). There was nothing in between, last week's thoroughbred performance became this week's donkey. over and over. What gives me some optimism is that we did play well in small patches, it is possible. We lost our tactical sophistication that we had under JVS, false 9s 3-4-3s etc. JA is earning as a coach, he's working on his coaching knowledge during the off-season, we need to give him a few games into the new season before we can judge. Of course now it's complicated because he'll be in the stands for the first 3 games.

Edited by belaguttman

I can see us losing a third of our Membership due to PPL not wanting to sign on knowing we are going into next season with the same Manager that took us almost to the wooden spoon.

This is not AFL where PPL have supported their side from birth, this is a club that has played three seasons so why should newcomers to the sport (Inparticular PPL with kids) be expected to be loyal?

• Like 4

I can see us losing a third of our Membership due to PPL not wanting to sign on knowing we are going into next season with the same Manager that took us almost to the wooden spoon.

This is not AFL where PPL have supported their side from birth, this is a club that has played three seasons so why should newcomers to the sport (Inparticular PPL with kids) be expected to be loyal?

Agreed. A workmate who is also a Heart member has lost confidence in the club and is taking a "wait and see" apporach to re-newing his membership next season.

As I posted elsewhere my family are questioning why we support Heart and not the others.

The club needs to show supporters why they should continue to support the club. The interests of the clubs financial investors may have been taken care of this season but the needs of members and supporters have not.

The question now needs to be "why should people support Melbourne Heart?" This especially becomes more stark when compared to the other club in Melbourne who have a coach who likes to play exciting football and is developing plenty of youth, along with providing great atmoshere at games and looking to build on success. So, what does Heart offer?

My workmate has lost faith in the club and in JA. Heart need to show something new, and whilst we can salvage a couple of parts, this season has not been something to build upon.

• Like 2

Agreed. A workmate who is also a Heart member has lost confidence in the club and is taking a "wait and see" apporach to re-newing his membership next season.

As I posted elsewhere my family are questioning why we support Heart and not the others.

The club needs to show supporters why they should continue to support the club. The interests of the clubs financial investors may have been taken care of this season but the needs of members and supporters have not.

The question now needs to be "why should people support Melbourne Heart?" This especially becomes more stark when compared to the other club in Melbourne who have a coach who likes to play exciting football and is developing plenty of youth, along with providing great atmoshere at games and looking to build on success. So, what does Heart offer?

My workmate has lost faith in the club and in JA. Heart need to show something new, and whilst we can salvage a couple of parts, this season has not been something to build upon.

IMO one thing that is absolutely critical at this point in time is for the club to keep communications and dialogue going with it present members through the off-season, in order to give us some sort of hope for the future. And I mean genuine communications, not PR bullshit. Possibly the worst thing the club can do right now is go into virtual shut-down mode, as it has done in the past two off-seasons, when MHFC just disappeared from view. I just have this awful feeling that we're about to do the same thing all over again...

Just for example, why are we hearing rumours about re-signings through the media? Don't members actually deserve to know before everyone else?

This is nothing to do with coaching or on-field performance. This is about the CEO and what type of show he is running. FFS this club has just got to pull itself up by its own bootstraps.

• Like 1

It was great when we did it, we hardly ever did it, and we never counter-pressed when we lost possession. Team pressing requires fitness. What made the season so frustrating was the contrast between our good games and our very very poor ones (all the rest of them). There was nothing in between, last week's thoroughbred performance became this week's donkey. over and over. What gives me some optimism is that we did play well in small patches, it is possible. We lost our tactical sophistication that we had under JVS, false 9s 3-4-3s etc. JA is earning as a coach, he's working on his coaching knowledge during the off-season, we need to give him a few games into the new season before we can judge. Of course now it's complicated because he'll be in the stands for the first 3 games.

It would have been nice for him to work on his coaching before he got the job.

We should have looked at top VPL coaches like Ian Dobson, Stuart Munro or Chris Taylor, all have won numerous coach of the year awards and yet we give the job to a guy who struggled in the NYL. 

Then all of a sudden give him the job and put a guy who hasn't ever even coached an U10's match as his assistant!

Debacle!

• Like 1

Ernest Merrick?

Jimmy rustling... 

Provides lawls...

Provides results...

Firey Scotsman attitude...

Knows how to have a successful A-League team... 

Lol just posted that on FB , I honestly would take him..

I'm blocked from the heart page so I didn't see it, same here

Ernest Merrick?

Jimmy rustling... 

Provides lawls...

Provides results...

Lol just posted that on FB , I honestly would take him.. I'm blocked from the heart page so I didn't see it, same here Haha! What did you do?

Ernest Merrick?

Jimmy rustling... 

Provides lawls...

Provides results...

Lol just posted that on FB , I honestly would take him.. I'm blocked from the heart page so I didn't see it, same here Haha! What did you do?

:D Called Melbourne Victory, Fucktree.... Sooks

• Like 1

..... unless we've signed an absolutely first rate team. I don't expect that to happen though

It would have been nice for him to work on his coaching before he got the job.

yes, that shows his, and the club's inexperience.

Replace with Ernest Merrick?

Jimmy rustling...

Provides lawls...

Provides results...

Knows how to have a successful A-League team...

Aren't you BRITISH? :droy: And that affects me wanting a proven A-League coach, how....?

The last thing the club will ever do is sign Merrick.

Replace with Ernest Merrick?

Jimmy rustling...

Provides lawls...

Provides results...

Knows how to have a successful A-League team...

Aren't you BRITISH? :droy:And that affects me wanting a proven A-League coach, how....? The last thing the club will ever do is sign Merrick. Highly likely but he is currently unemployed and therefore I see no point in not suggesting him for the position