Melbourne Football

A-league Kits

True Until I die

do you think we should have the same home and away (shirt shorts and socks) kits next year  

29 members have voted

1. 1. do you think we should have the same home and away (shirt shorts and socks) kits next year

yes, we are long into the season but I would like to point out a few interesting kit things

1) wellingtons white strip is only a clash strip as opposed to an away one

2) wellington is the only team in the leauge to have long sleeved shirts (I wonder why)

3) the victory strip seems to be every changing due to the fact that they keep changing sponsors

4) the melbourne victory wore their yellow kit against the black and white newcastle jets at home (anyone know why)

1) i Don't see a problem with that. If a club wants to wear their home as much as possible then by all means do so, Obviously would change if home and away shirts have two different sponsors.

2) I guess it comes down to the kit manufacture. There are some LS victory shirts floating around, must be an adidas thing. If heart sold a LS shirt i'd more than likely pick one up.

3) Don't really know what to put for that one. Their Yellow clash whilst effective, does not look as good as their white away of previous years. Also don't know why they made the switch to white shorts on the home this year either.

4) Believe it was to make up part of their Energy Watch sponsor ship deal after wearing the home against Wellington away.

EDIT: Also in regards to the Poll, I think our current kit is one of the best in the league and that ISC has done an amazing job. Hopefully they will still be supplying our kits next year.

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 1

As far as I know under FFA regulations we have to keep the same kit home and away for 5 years. Is that right?

I wont comment on the other things but Victory wore their away strip because both Newcastle's home and away strip (colour wise) was too close to Victory's home. Or at least that was what was said by the commentators during the match.

1) i Don't see a problem with that. If a club wants to wear their home as much as possible then by all means do so, Obviously would change if home and away shirts have two different sponsors.

2) I guess it comes down to the kit manufacture. There are some LS victory shirts floating around, must be an adidas thing. If heart sold a LS shirt i'd more than likely pick one up.

3) Don't really know what to put for that one. Their Yellow clash whilst effective, does not look as good as their white away of previous years. Also don't know why they made the switch to white shorts on the home this year either.

4) Believe it was to make up part of their Energy Watch sponsor ship deal after wearing the home against Wellington away.

EDIT: Also in regards to the Poll, I think our current kit is one of the best in the league and that ISC has done an amazing job. Hopefully they will still be supplying our kits next year.

thanks for clearing that up for me, I think the home shirt is brilliant but I dont like the away one as much

I would love to see a blue and yellow away kit used in future, possibly royal blue with a yellow band across the chest.

Yes, I have been drinking vodka all day.

Yes, I am serious.

Royal blue and yellow, traditional change colours for the teams in red and white.

• Like 2

Well, that definitely won't happen...

The club are going with the SAME 2 kits as the past 2 seasons with only minor alterations, and this idea really hasn't been sitting well with me.

We are also with ISC for one more season, goteam.jpeg

What the fuck is wrong with the board members? Why the fuck would you keep the same 2 kits for 4 seasons? FFS!

There were hundreds of entries to the 3rd kit comp, as well as hundreds of other options.

How can the expect to make money selling the same 2 kits over 4 years? Especially when you only have a base support group of 6k...

Clubs in Europe, and around the world usually keep a home kit for 2 seasons and then have a variation on their away and 3rd/alternate kit EVERY season, and for obvious reasons - which even an idiot would comprehend. Many of these clubs have a global reach, too!

Everyone be sure to hold out for the 2013-14 end of season sale, where the 10,000 left over kits will be flying out the door at 80% off...

Edited by Buddy Farah

Heck I love both of our home and away jerseys and I know that I voted no change but Buddy raises some very valid points,one or both need to change. This year we got away with the same designs as the change in sponsor helped sell jerseys. Next year unless ISC drastically change their template the same designs wont cut it. Plenty of variants on red and white stripes around that we could use for our home. The away however should be Totally different next year.

I'd personally would love to see hoops next year. :)

Edited by Hammerhead

I for one will be pretty annoyed if they change the Home Kit to some annoying new age version of stripes, you know the type with side panels, minimal stripes, or circle for the number etc.

NUFC have a had few these kits and every time it just annoys me, Celtic luckily only had it once and their so many complaints we never had it again.

I always thought we should have had hoops from the start, would have been a good point of difference, however now we chose stripes I am happy with that as long as we dont make them modern.

I am also a well known supporter of the gold and royal blue away kit idea.

Oh another thing that peeves me about the current kits (Something that we have no control over) Is the A league badge on the chest. Would rather see it on the slevees like most other leagues.

Agreed. I'm not a member of the fashion police but ughhh.. it irritates me so much! The chest space should at least have something more on it... not just a standard badge/print that's mandatory; or just a free space so that the shirt seems less cluttered.

Is it possible for the 3rd kit or some like it to potentially become an away jersey? I'd love to see checks perhaps? Depends how they were done.

PS: The name of this thread is killing me! Yes I'm a grammar nazi! Fix-able?

Edited by stephaniexo

I highly doubt it. Simply for the Croatian 'tablecloth' factor.

It wouldn't have to have that feeling or association with it though. There are plenty of teams world wide that do checks and get away with it in a classy way, but I can see where you're coming from. Oh & thank you for being a grammar Nazi!

Here's an example of a classy check (or what I think is)

Villa_5F00_Away_5F00_11_5F00_12_2D00_Main2.jpg

Edited by stephaniexo

yes, we are long into the season but I would like to point out a few interesting kit things

1) wellingtons white strip is only a clash strip as opposed to an away one

2) wellington is the only team in the leauge to have long sleeved shirts (I wonder why)

3) the victory strip seems to be every changing due to the fact that they keep changing sponsors

4) the melbourne victory wore their yellow kit against the black and white newcastle jets at home (anyone know why)

was debated that the viktree home kit clashed with both jets home and away

meh. quarters, checks, stars... it's all the same.

Trying hard not to be anal but it’s not really...

As someone that uses to read old Race Books for hours as kid that why I know and care.

There is an official specific way of describing the kit that a sporting side wear, it is based of originally the way of describing Horse Racing Colours.

You will find that even VAFA (Amateur) Footy teams or local Hockey sides have to lodge the clubs colours using a specific format.

well there you go!

i really like the quarters as AFAIK it's not something that's been done a lot at the moment or in the past (perhaps the 4-quarter strip has been more frequent in lower leagues), i can understand people making the comparison to the home croatia strip with the checks, however to state the bleedingly obvious i think that any australian designed version of it would be made different

The quarters is a good kit it is used in Football but is more common in Rugby Union for what I have seen, Woody would probably specific sides.

It still is not something that we can use as it would do nothing to avoid colour clashes, checks would be the same deal and would never be a approved as its considered ethnic by the FFA as its an ethnicity that is not Dutch.

The current strip is more like a AFL Away Jumper than a proper Football Away kit.

It does little to avoid a colour clash, is the same exact colours and is worn in all Away games.

If it was proposed in another league it probably would not even be approved and if we ever played a side wearing Red and White Stripes in the ACL – It would almost certainly not be permitted to be worn.

i can understand people making the comparison to the home croatia strip with the checks, however to state the bleedingly obvious i think that any australian designed version of it would be made different

THANK YOU!

With this I completely agree.

Whilst comparisons could be made if say check style or colors were similar with something already out there; if something was designed using checks of a different color (black + red would do pretty swell in my mind; or even blue+gold) or quarters (which are damn stylish if done tastefully) I don't think any comparisons or comments would be made.

what cadete mentioned above about certain colourways/styles being seen to be ethnic by the FFA is a really good point as well.

You've just counteracted your own argument by supporting this notion.

Whilst I agree; it's a good point in some senses I think it'd be stupid to have an ethnic tag placed on a design of clothing. If I choose to wear red & white checks one day it does not make me a Croatian. If I chose to wear blue and white stripes on another it would not make me Greek. If everything I wore was green and white I wouldn't be Irish.

I could see where the FFA are coming from but just because a certain design is considered and seen as 'ethnic' doesn't mean a variation of it is. My post above showed an Aston Villa top with white checks... yes CHECKS! Tell me how that's now considered to be croatian?

If a different look or concept is taken into account; there would be endless possibilities to what teams would be able to create as their kits. It's a shame that ideas just get pushed to the side because people feel their too similar to something else that's out there or have possibly been done before.

On the topic of quarters here is the original and most famous version.

Harlequins RFC.

10051.jpg

In my opinion our away kit should resemble something along these lines. The Arsenal kit's blue would obviously be more of a Royal Blue. As has been said a million and one times, Red and white team's traditional way kit colours are Yellow and Royal Blue.

arsenal-away-kit-200809.jpg

stoke-city-away-kit-200809.jpg

You've just counteracted your own argument by supporting this notion.

Whilst I agree; it's a good point in some senses I think it'd be stupid to have an ethnic tag placed on a design of clothing. If I choose to wear red & white checks one day it does not make me a Croatian. If I chose to wear blue and white stripes on another it would not make me Greek. If everything I wore was green and white I wouldn't be Irish.

I could see where the FFA are coming from but just because a certain design is considered and seen as 'ethnic' doesn't mean a variation of it is. My post above showed an Aston Villa top with white checks... yes CHECKS! Tell me how that's now considered to be croatian?

If a different look or concept is taken into account; there would be endless possibilities to what teams would be able to create as their kits. It's a shame that ideas just get pushed to the side because people feel their too similar to something else that's out there or have possibly been done before.

I can see where you're coming from and I agree. I was not supporting the FFA thinking a design may be deemed ethnic, rather that cadete made the point they may in fact believe this.

I certainly don't think a design should be disregarded because it alludes or does not allude to a background/heritage. If that makes sense?

I can see where you're coming from and I agree. I was not supporting the FFA thinking a design may be deemed ethnic, rather that cadete made the point they may in fact believe this.

I certainly don't think a design should be disregarded because it alludes or does not allude to a background/heritage. If that makes sense?

Totally makes sense! :)

Oh and apologies if I at all came off as a little bitchy. I usually tend to when it comes to replying.

I like the thinking behind the royal blue/yellow kit but I would love the club to create something original and make their own mark... whether that be made up of the colours of forbes 3rd kit or we head in a different direction and choose some totally neutral colours.

i would like to see the home kit kept, but made all stripes with black with white trim numbers/lettering. i love the away strip... purely because of it's simplicity... the stripe imo is bold and striking. but that being said, away kits are a perfect tool for showcasing interesting designs, alternative colours and help keep the registers ticking over...

does anyone have that isc comp template file or perhaps some kit template files hanging around... would like to contribute visually some kit ideas as well as seeing others ideas in this thread...

also... just going to put it out there i'm not a big fan of the club logo, would love to see something far more subtle than the obvious heart connection... but that's another thread for another day

Edited by Myki