Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

Surely, the recipe for improving our attendances is simple.

1. Win more matches at home.

2. Score more goals at home.

3. Stop playing boring football. Marrone passing backwards to Gerhardt from over the half-way line, Gerhardt sideways to Colosimo, Colosimo backwards to Bolton, Bolton hoofing the ball upfield, turnover in possession... You need the patience of a saint to watch that week after week.

4. Stop the pre-game negative psych of saying how difficult it is going to be to break down whoever we are playing against.

• Like 2

its sad that the high priced seats are vaccant. iv said it before, but why not increase the general admin seating area.

Getting people closer to the game may encourage them to attend more often. I hate looking at the other side of the half way pitch (opposite the bench) and see empty seats. It must look pritty bad on tv.

I have a million and one ideas, but heart admin must seem to have a million and one excuses.

Only ONCE jw.

Derby 5 3-2

Thank you Hammers. I suspected that was the case. IMO a very telling statistic. Along with the times we've been in front and then conceded a draw it just adds to the reasons why I think we are not attracting bigger crowds. Low excitement factor.

Edited by jw1739

I think that side needs to be premiumC. More expensive than ga but cheaper than a and b. that side is too sunny for most of the games.

That way they fill, but still allocated. Probably a pain to administer though.

Excellent idea.

Don't see why it should be difficult to administer. All these things are easily manageable now with computerisation. When I book tickets on-line for the State Theatre for example, I can see all the vacant seats in any and all of the price categories and I can choose precisely which seats I want to buy. None of this crap about 'next best available.'

Whatever the event, if you want to maximise your audience you need to make purchasing tickets as easy as possible and do everything possible such that the customers gets the seats they want. Not saying this is a big factor in terms of our crowds, but every little helps.

• Like 1

When I book tickets on-line for the State Theatre for example,

I almost fell off my chair. I had no idea heart supporters are well ad versed in culture.

Hats off to you my man. i think the last time i went there was to see Saturday Night Fever. What a great musical!

I agree with all you wrote. For that I give you a like.

Surely, the recipe for improving our attendances is simple.

1. Win more matches at home.

2. Score more goals at home.

3. Stop playing boring football. Marrone passing backwards to Gerhardt from over the half-way line, Gerhardt sideways to Colosimo, Colosimo backwards to Bolton, Bolton hoofing the ball upfield, turnover in possession... You need the patience of a saint to watch that week after week.

4. Stop the pre-game negative psych of saying how difficult it is going to be to break down whoever we are playing against.

I think your third point is the promoted style of football which our club is based on - the one I think it is time to move away from as it is one dimensional, predictable and boring. When was the last time we looked like beating another side by more than one goal?

Edited by Peter

He also said the 5-game membership to be launched in 2013 are going to have loads of incentives for people to join. So maybe his 5-game membership will get more people going. Wait n see

If they offer five game memberships after i paid $545 for mine, I will get so annoyed that someone will have to justify why i spent soo much while others spent so little for the same benefit.

Granted i purchased 5 game memberships last year (twice = 10 games in the year - multiple memberships purchased) and i hope others who sat near me vented their anger to management.

If they do offer 5 game memberships in 'A' reserved for $100 (just like last year), you can bet i will not purchase membership next season and save my $545 each membership on an upgraded foxtel HD iq box and a new big screen tv.

Edited by markn
  • Like 1

I'm not going to say what I'll do, but I certainly agree with the sentiments expressed above. Slapping existing full-season members in the face by offering $20 Premium A tickets might increase membership numbers this year, but it will certainly backfire in future years. Anyway, they will not be real 'memberships', just a way of making the numbers look better. Next there will be three-game memberships, and if you really want the numbers to look good, one-game memberships...

The club is taking the wrong line on this. The issue is not costs of membership, it is the entertainment value that a membership offers.

The issue is the one-dimensional, predictable and boring football, the lack of goals and the failure to win more home games.

Fix the root cause, not the symptoms.

• Like 2

Predictions and pass marks for tonight's game?

In our three Friday night games in our history we've had one 6,500 crowd, a 5,000 crowd and a 3,500 crowd. Although I think the 3.5k was that game against CCM played in monsoonal weather. We're also in quite bad form playing some crap football.

We're at the stage in our development however, where we really need to start kicking on in terms of support and attendances. I'm bringing 5 people along to this one so hopefully we tear the Roar apart.

Pass mark: 7k

Prediction: 6k

Edited by Jimmy

Updated OP with tonight's crowd of 5,466:

2012-2013:

Total attendance (No. of games): 22,830 (3)

Average: 7,610

Change form 2011-12: +1,136

Highest two attendances:

Round 2 vs. WEL (11,007)

Round 4 vs. CCM (6,357)

Lowest two attendances:

Round 6 vs. BRI (5,466)

N/A

Considering our recent form, 5,466 in that weather was a good turnout IMO. People are beginning to get behind the Heart.

it was a terrible attendance tbh. a 5k doesn't show any signs of people getting behind Heart (no matter what weather)

but winning more games like this will eventually see a rise in crowds

• jw1739 unpinned this topic